Chapter 1: Give Me a Smile

Two Months
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A group of little boys and girls, some with bandages on their bodies while some were wearing hospital clothes, were running and playing along the shores of the ocean. They were with a tall foreign-looking man wearing a doctor’s coat and a pretty fair-skinned lady in a nurse uniform. The boys were playing ball with their doctor while the girls were building sand castles and playing with the seashells.

As soon as the clouds started appearing darker, the children together with the two adults prepared to leave the beach and started walking back to their small clinic just a few meters away from the shore. They were about to turn left towards the stairs heading to the cemented road when the nurse turned her head got a glimpse of the big rock on the shore. She felt something weird coming from the rock but chose to shrug it off until she saw a person’s bare foot peeking through the big rock. She stared at it thinking how it is possible that a person would be lying behind a rock barefooted. With her instincts, she slowly walked towards the rock.

“Suzy-ah, where are you going? We need to head back now. It’s going to rain soon...” The man called for her but she ignored him and took faster steps towards the rock.

She slowly peeked behind the rock and upon seeing the person, she was stunned with wide eyes. After registering what she had seen, she sharply turned her head to the doctor and called for help.

“Oppa!!! Come here quickly!!! I think he’s dead!!!” She yelled with a worried and frightened face.

Upon hearing the word “dead” the doctor responded quickly and ran towards the lady and the unconscious man. He went closer to the man and put his ear close to the man’s chest and held his wrist to take his pulse.

“He’s still alive... We need to get him into the clinic fast...” The doctor said and tried carrying the unconscious man on his back but the man was too big for him to carry. “This won’t do... this man’s huge like a monster...” he complained. “Mason-ah!!! Call ChanSeong hyung and tell him to get here fast!!” the doctor instructed one of the kids and the boy started dashing towards the clinic. After a few minutes, the kid came back with another huge man wearing a nurse uniform.

With the other nurse’s help, they carried the unconscious man to the clinic and laid him on a bed. The two cleaned the man’s body and treated his wounds and bruises. They also changed his wet dress shirt and slacks into one of the doctor’s clothes. Since they basically treat children, they don’t have hospital clothes for big adults like him.

“We need to get a bigger hospital bed..., in case a patient as large as him comes to us again...” the doctor joked as he fixed his eyes at the feet of the man extending outside the hospital bed.

“Khun oppa... he looks like him... he looks like JinYoung-ie...” Suzy mumbled as she stared at the patient’s chiselled face. “But he looks manlier though... unlike my JinYoung who looks like a kid...” she smiled a bit as her eyes started to accumulate water, but pouted right after.

“Suzy-ah...he’s not JinYoung... your brother’s dead long ago...” Khun reminded with a worried face.

“I know oppa..., I never forgot how he died... and how he left me...” Suzy replied with pain in her heart. “I never forgot how his death encouraged me to get into this job...”

“Suzy-ah, let’s stop talking about this, huh? I don’t like seeing my dongsaeng cry... arasseo?” Khun suggested putting a hand over her shoulder. Suzy then wiped her tears away. “Anyways, we have to report this to the authorities... his family must have been looking for him...”

“Oppa, he doesn’t have any identification with him...”

“We can take a picture and report it...”

“Oppa, we can’t do that... the fact that he was beaten up and thrown to the ocean means that someone wants to harm him... if we report him---“ Suzy reasoned but was interrupted by Khun.

“Why do I feel that you want him to stay? Is it because he looks like JinYoung? Suzy-ah, I’m telling---” Khun reprimanded but was cut off.

“It’s not that.., I’m just worried that he might get harmed again once we report it...”

“Suzy-ah...”

“Just one month, oppa...” she requested but he had a what-in-the-world-are-you-saying face on him. “Three weeks?” she pleaded but his face just turned scarier. “Two?”

“Yah! The moment he wakes up, we... no, I would report it to the police... and that’s final!!!” He stated with authority before he walked out of the room and left Suzy with the patient.

As he left, Suzy sat beside the patient and admired his face as she held his hand. “I know that you’re not my JinYoung-ie, but from now on, I’ll treat you like my real oppa... you’re an oppa, right? You look older than me, so you must be an oppa...” She talked to the unconscious man before standing and taking the wet clothes the man just got out from.

She went back beside him and rummaged through his pants pockets only to find his empty wallet. She peeked through every compartment of his wallet and was surprised to finally see something inside. “Ohh? A photo? But I can’t see who it is...” she stared intently at the washed out photo of what seems like two people standing beside each other.

“Ahhh! This is your ear...! So this man must be you.., but who’s the other person? Looks like a woman though.., she must be your girlfriend, huh?” she added with a hint of disappointment. She flipped the photo and took a look at the back and the only legible word there was “Taec-Yeon”.

“TaecYeon? Your name must be TaecYeon... what a unique name... you parents must be a fan of martial arts...” Suzy joked but received nothing other than a twitch of his fingers. “You must have found my joke amusing... hehe...” Suzy continued talking to him. She was massaging his hands and feet until she heard a knock on the door. She turned her head and saw Mason peeking through the door.

“Noona, the doctor told me that he needs you downstairs...” the boy informed.

“Okay, I’ll

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter