Chapter 2

It's Going to be Me

            Joonmyeon and Yifan are in love—kind of not really. If what counts as being in love is pouring over fashion magazines together late at night, kissing over the colorful pages, and circling the outfit ideas they approve of the most. If what counts as being in love is yelling at fashion designers together—well more Yifan yelling while Joonmyeon nods along, keeping a soothing hand on the taller man's arm—and sharing sips of the same cup of coffee in the morning.

            "I don't care," Yifan moans even as Joonmyeon removes his hand from under Yifan's button-down shirt and his lips cruelly. "The stylist can wait."

            "This is your first time modeling in a while," replies Joonmyeon even as he smooths out the crinkles in Yifan's previously pristine shirt. "I just wanted to make sure that you were relaxed enough for it."

            Gritting his teeth, Yifan steels himself as the over bubbly stylist enters the room and Joonmyeon exits.

            "I'll be watching from the crowd."

            Yifan closes his eyes and lets the stylist do her magic.

            "You're on in three," the show director at the door of the dressing room says, and Yifan strides with a newly gained confidence right into the flashing lights of the media. It only startles him a bit when Joonmyeon slips an arm around his shoulders and grins winsomely as the cameras flash.

            "So you're making a comeback too?" asks Yifan quietly, low enough so that only Joonmyeon can hear.

            "Couldn't let you go back on stage alone, could I?" Joonmyeon whispers back. "After all, it's a competition, right?" Joonmyeon an eyebrow and then grins at Yifan. "A competition I'll win."

            At that moment, Yifan wants nothing more than to kiss Joonmyeon in front of all the flashing cameras and let them now that their relationship is not just competing leaders, but he doesn't. Instead, he and Joonmyeon walk backstage, and Joonmeyon slicks one hand through his perfectly gelled her. The little strands that fall out of place and frame his face are the most perfect things Yifan has seen.

            "I think the dressing room is empty," Joonmyeon says, and Yifan nearly trips over his feet as he strides forward, grabbing Joonmyeon's arm.

            "Let's go."


            "You can't honestly be thinking of putting me in the Christmas show," mutters Yifan, trying his best to buckle up his belt even while Joonmyeon is already smoothing down his errant hair.

            "Not just the Christmas show, all the shows from now on."

            Joonmyeon reaches for Yifan's fumbling hands and moves them out of the way before quickly redoing Yifan's belt. The flush that crosses Yifan's face is unexpected but not uncomfortable.

            "I'm not joking," says Yifan, and he grabs Joonmyeon's hand before the other man can withdraw it completely. "You can't put me in the Christmas show."

            "Why not?" Joonmyeon asks, eyes twinkling. "We're joint leaders of this project."

            "You can't," refuses Yifan, but he feels his resistance crumbling even as Joonmyeon cups his cheeks and presses a kiss to his forehead.

            "It'll be good for you. I know you miss modeling."

            "And you don't?"

            Yifan looks carefully into Joonmyeon's face, but the other man shows no reaction, shrugging.

            "I'll go back to modeling sooner or later. Maybe sooner, maybe later, but it'll come back to me," he replies, smiling.

            "Because it's going to be me, right?"

            "Maybe."

            Joonmyeon taps his lips, and Yifan places a kiss on them despite his churning stomach. Then he shrugs and reluctantly agrees to his place in the Christmas show.

            "What will my theme be?"

            Forever caring, Joonmyeon carefully tries to style Yifan's hair back into position as he hums quietly and replies, "Hmm. I was thinking maybe an angel."

            "An angel?"

            "An angel," Joonmyeon echoes, and Yifan is struck by the lack of the characteristic twinkle as Joonmyeon locks gazes with him. He is surprisingly serious.

            "You would wear all white and emerge from the smoke with wings."

            Joonmyeon expands his arms as he continues to describe the scene, and Yifan can nearly see it…but he doesn't see himself in the scene. No, that's not what he sees at all. Instead, he sees Joonmyeon. Joonmyeon has the wings not him.

            "Come here," Yifan beckons, and Joonmyeon hesitates. "Come here, Joonmyeon."

            Finally, the other leader comes forward, and Yifan cradles him in his chest because at that moment it doesn't matter that he is the one who will lead in the end, it only matters that Joonmyeon is leading with him now because if there were only one leader of the EXO project, he was sure they would have broken down by now. He realizes now the mechanics aren't built just for him but for Joonmyeon as well.

            There are only two weeks before the Christmas show and therefore only two weeks to make Joonmyeon's angel dream come true.