Silver Eyes (Part #1 of Re-write 10 years later)

Silver Eyes

* Author's Note: As I was scouring the internet for my old writing, I remembered AFF. I remember spending so many nights on this website reading stories and roleplaying with friends. I also spent plenty of time staring at blank screens trying to write my own stories. They never really went anywhere nor were they enjoyed by many people but it was always fun at the end. I don't write much these days except for long and boring academic papers. Actually, I'm procrastinating on writing one right now. I wanted to rewrite this story and give it the style (and ending) it deserved back then. To be fair I don't think anyone cares about EXO (especially Tao) as much as they did 10ish years ago but I’ve been out of Kpop for a while and I'd rather not change the ML. Enjoy! Or don't -- this is really just a treat for me. *

 

Silver Eyes

Seoul truly was a city unlike any other.

New York's skyscrapers might rise taller, Tokyo's nightlife might be legendary, and Hong Kong's views might be beyond comparison -- but Seoul had it. It was simply a city unlike any other. A place that drew you in and never let you go. She had been all around the world, from Paris to Rio and her mind had yet to change. Minsun's heart would always be in Seoul...And being back after all this time felt like heaven.

"Slow down! You're going to choke at this rate." The young man's voice was hurried and pitched. Exactly what you'd expect from his colourful outfit.

"No. Time." Minsun stated quickly between bites.

"You haven't changed at all." He sighed and slumped back in his seat opposite of hers.

"Isn't that good?" Minsun looked up from her food. She let the bowl of samgyetang rest for a minute and set her wide eyes on her old friend. Asking for confirmation or perhaps waiting for him to take back his words.

"Well..." He smiled but it never quite reached his eyes. "I'm not sure."

"Well, I would hope so!" Minsun took a quick sip of her barley tea and stood up. "I'll be going first. Thank you for the food, Key-ah."

"Yah -- I always get stuck with the bill!" Key bolted from his seat in protest, but she was already rushing out of the cafe. "I'll get you one of these days." He yelled after Minsun but she paid no mind. The only one who seemed to care was the lone owner whose crossed arms and wild eyes made Key pull out his wallet right away.

Minsun jogged all the way to the black car, dodging the thick ice that covered so much of the street. It had snowed days before but today was simply cold. A dry cold that made her bones ache for the warmth of summer. By the time she made it to the car the old driver had opened the door. He was a reminder of who she was -- despite the messy hair and simple clothes. She had made it.

Once inside Minsun rubbed her hands together before fixing her hair. Her cheeks were rosy pink and they hurt. She wasn't used to Korean winters. Not anymore.

"Where to madam?" The old driver spoke slowly and deliberately. He had been doing this for a very long time.

"Gangnam," She finally spoke and took out her phone from her bag. "I have to buy some gifts." She mentioned to the driver, but he was already focused on the road. Minsun scrolled past the numerous 'Merry Christmas' text from her university friends and their party invites. None of them were important. They were all people who didn't know and didn't really care about her. So instead of forcing herself to write back she looked out the window. The car was moving now through the crowded streets of the city. Seoul flashed before her eyes.

See...it's nice when things don't change. Just like this city.

The car came to a halt in front of a row of posh stores. Designer goods and fancy logos were everywhere. However, Minsun was heading somewhere a bit less obvious. The store was simple, but elegant. There was nothing to advertise what exactly waited inside. No banners or logos. You had to know what and where it was. Secluded and yet right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Cheongdamdong. It was a hot spot for chaebols and celebrities. Minsun hated how exclusive it was, but it was her mother's favourite store. And she couldn't show up without a good Christmas present. Otherwise Mrs. Hu would not be happy.

So, she searched the store, an associate clinging to her every word and a glass of champagne in her hand. In this comfortable, but terribly dull, activity she could get lost in thought. The patterns on the clothes faded and she could daydream. Or remember. Remember the words her mother had said years ago...the words that led to her being here.

"Don't you think it's a bit much?" A sweet voice jolted her from the trance.

"Huh?" Minsun looked around to find the owner of the voice. She was pretty. A familiar girl around her age who'd come up from behind.

The girl pointed at the racks of fur in front of them and smiled. "The coats. Don't you think they're a bit too much?"

"I'm sure the animals think so," Minsun returned the smile. "if they were real."

"It's been a long time."

"It really has..." Minsun handed her champagne glass for the associate as a cue to leave. The girl took it quickly and Minsun returned her attention to the woman in front of her. "Have you been well, Ruhi?"

"Well enough." Ruhi replied quickly. This time with no smile on her face.

"Ah come on, you're not still mad at me. Are you?" Minsun responded just as quickly to Ruhi's sudden coldness.

"Me? Mad? At you?" Ruhi stepped closer. Her presence was not intimidating but Minsun immediately felt judged. "It's not like you split my family in two and left the country. How long has it been...five years?"

Minsun nodded, understanding that Ruhi hadn't forgiven her at all. How could she had been so stupid as to believe they could have a nice reunion. "Three years. Do you think I wanted-"

"I really don't care." Ruhi interrupted and backed off. "Let's pretend I never saw you. And I hope I never have to again." The woman her heel to leave but Minsun acted fast.

"Wait!" Minsun grabbed Ruhi's hand. "Is he here too? In Seoul?"

"I don't think that's any of your business." Ruhi freed her hand from Minsun's grasp and turned to look at her. "Don't meet him. It won't do either of you any good."



I would change things...If I could go back...I really would...