01

Silver Eyes

Seoul really is a city unlike any other isn't it? Sure you can argue New York's skyscraper rise taller than any of those in Seoul. You can say the night life isn't as vivid as in Tokyo and that the views can't compare to Hong Kong. You can say that its not nearly as romantic as Paris or as breath taking as Brazil but it won't make a difference. My soul will always be in Seoul. There's no other place in the world to me. All i can say is that after four years away from Seoul being back feels like heaven.

"Slow down or your going to choke."

"I don't have time." Minsun stated between bites.

"You haven't changed."

"Isn't that good?" She looked up from her plates.

"Well...I'm not sure."

"You better be." Minsun took a long breath and stood up.

"Then, I'll be going first. Gomawo for the food Key-ah." She waved and rushed out of the small cafe.

"I always get stuck with the bill. One day." Key sighed and pulled out his wallet.

Minsun jogged all the way to the coal black car dodging the spots on the streets that covered in thick ice.By the time she made it inside the car her cheeks were rosy pink and her hands almost frozen.

"Where to Mrs?" The old driver asked.Minsun looked out the window for a while and the spoke.
"Lets stop by Cheongdamdong I have to buy some gifts." Minsun turned her attention to the white phone she had just taken from her bag.She scrolled pass the numerous Merry Christmas texts from her university friends and invites to parties.Realizing none of them were important she stopped scrolling and returned to looking out the window. The car was moving now, zing-zagging through the busy roads.Seoul flashed before her eyes.

You haven't changed,I'm glad.

The car came to a halt in front of a posh looking store.The simplicity but elegance of the store combined by the fact that there wasn't a single banner advertizing its name made it the number one hot spot for Chaebols. Minsun hated how exclusive it was but this was her mother's favorite store and she needed a Christmas present that would keep Mrs.Hu off her back for at least another month. Searching through the store Minsun thought about her mother words years ago...

"Don't you think its a bit too much?"

"Huh?" Minsun looked around to find the owner of the voice.A familiar girl around her age pointed at the racks in front of them.

"The coats.Don't you think they're a bit too much?" She spoke again.

"If you're the animal, sure." Minsun smiled briefly.

"Its been a long time."

"Seems like it.." Minsun picked up one of the name brand bags."Have you been well Ruhi?"

"Well enough." Ruhi replied quickly.

"Ah come on, you're not still mad at me are you?" Minsun responded to Ruhi's sudden coldness.

"How could I be? Its not like you split my family in two and then left. How long has it been? five years..?"

"Three.Do you think I wanted-"

"I really don't care. Let's pretend i never saw you." Ruhi her heel.

"Wait!" Minsun grabbed her hand making Ruhi stop. "Is he here? In Seoul?"

"I don't think you should know that." Ruhi stopped walking and looked back."Don't meet him."

Minsun let go of Ruhi and went back to aimlessly walking around the store.

I would change things..If i could go back, I really would.

5 years ago...

19year-old Minsun had never dreamed finishing High school with her grades but now she was about to start her first year of uni. Late but better than never. Its not like anyone in her small family could had payed for school so she stayed back working a whole year to save the money. While other girls her age where wasting their whole paycheck on the brand new designer items Minsun was pouring it into a bank account.
Minsun stood in front of the big white gate. It was almost fall but the sun didn't want to leave.Crowds of student passed by her but she couldn't move.Amazed by how big the school was.

"Its not going anywhere you know." Someone whispered in her ear making her jump. He laughed at her reaction ignoring the look people were giving him.

"What's so funny, I lost ten years of my life." She shook her head.

Once she was done she took a look at the guy. He was wearing a black wife-beater obviously enjoying the last few days of summer. Though that wasn't what caught her attention. He was carrying a backpack that seemed to have been black once but now was covered in graffiti as well as paint brushes in his hands that hadn't dried yet. She was about to comment on that but the guy had already left while she was observing him.

"Oh well." Minsun said to no one. She turned back and started walking towards the gate realizing no one was outside anymore.

This is a prestigious school everyone provably gets to class early. Minsun thought and kept on walking slowly to her first class through the deserted campus.Suddenly a bell rang and Minsun realized she was really late.

Other than being scolded by the professor for being late the rest of the day went great.She ran into the guy from before between classes and learned his name was Tao. Also that he had just moved to Korea two years ago to study. That he had a panda named cat or was it a cat named panda.He gave away more information than Minsun could care to remember.She also joined the photography club, on impulse really.She didn't know from where she was going to string some time.Her days were packed already. Go to class then go home and help around and off to work until ten. Come back home and study, wake up and repeat.Minsun was practically a walking zombie everyday. How she managed to keep up with her studies was a mystery. Alright maybe not. Tao who had attached himself to her, was very smart.

"This is really easy Sunsun.How did you pass elementary school?" Tao waved a pen in front of Minsun's face.

"What planet are you from? I can't understand a thing." Minsun whined burying her face in her hands.

"Stay still or else you'll look ugly." Tao said going back to his painting.

Minsun sighed and looked at the paper in front of her. The only reason she was passing any of her classes was Tao but lately all he has been doing is painting.Her.Why he would want to paint her is beyond Minsun.

"If you're not going to help me then go away."

"Then I can't draw you." Tao muttered under his breath but Minsun heard him.

"Am I that pretty?" Minsun teased batting her eyelashes.

"Yes." Tao lowered his notebook and looked at her.

"W-whatever." Minsun said and looked down suddenly embarrassed.

"Look up i can't get your eyes right." Tao spoke again and Minsun looked up.She watched him draw and it was really a strange feeling.Tao was always happy, always laughing but when he was drawing he seemed serious and focused.

 
Present

"How nice." Mrs.Hu said as she passed the present to one of her maids.

"I thought so too." Minsun sat down and was now face-to-face with her mother.

"Is this how you greet your mother after a year?" Mrs.Hu asked but Minsun just nodded."Alright then.How's your husband?"

"Fine." Minsun responded.

"If you're going to be in mood why did you come again."

"If I hadn't come..."

"You can go, I have things to do." Mrs.Hu stood up and looked at her daughter. "We've come too far Minsun." With that she left the room.

After a couple of minutes Minsun stood up and walked out of the mansion.Once again the driver was waiting outside for her.

"Where to?" He asked.

"For now...Just drive."

5 years ago...


"Why do you have a black cat?" Minsun took the cat in her arms.

"Their good luck!" Tao shouted from his room.

"Sure they are." Minsun laughed. She stood up still holding the black cat and looked around.She had known Tao for months now but this was the first time she'd been to his house. She couldn't believe how clean it was. Tao was always covered in paint or carrying things that were covered in paint.Dressing up? Was that even in his vocabulary. If it took more than five minutes to get it on Tao didn't wear it. That's provably why Minsun was so surprised to see his apartment was so decorated.

"Ready." Tao appeared from one of the doors in his usual casual self. He took the cat from her. "Don't bite anything while I'm gone panda." After turning off all the lights and letting panda go they left.

"You know i was wondering." Minsun talked while she and Tao waited for the bus.

"Huh?" Tao turned to look at her.

"How come you're always so messy but your apartment is so clean?"

"I have a maid." He stated and got on the bus.

"Maid?" Minsun took the seat next to him.

"Are you worried? Its not a girl." Tao chuckled.

"As if." Minsun shoved him. "By the way..Why are we going to school on a Sunday?"

"You'll see."

In less than ten minutes they arrived at the front gates.It was just as intimidating as it was the first day Minsun had seen them.

"Come on!" Tao was already walking ahead of her.

"Yeah." Minsun tried to catch up with him without running but it was no use. In the end she ended jogging all the way to the Main Building.

"Why are we here?" Minsun repeated once they were inside the building. She had never been in this part of the school since her classes weren't even close to here. They kept walking in silence until Tao stopped. He opened a white door and went in. Minsun paused for a second but went in too. Behind the door wasn't a room at all but stairs. Both of them went up the spiral stairs until they reached an old looking door. Tao opened it. This time there were no more stairs which made Minsun's legs very happy.

It took a while for her eyes to adapt but when they did she couldn't believe her eyes.The only light came from a dome that covered most of the room's ceiling.The room itself seemed old but in a beautiful way.There were painting tools spread all around the room. There were also framed paintings hanging from the walls mostly of scenery but there were also some people. Minsun saw herself in one of those paintings and smiled.

"Come here." Minsun walked to the owner of that voice.

"What is it?" She walked behind him and looked over his shoulders.

"Me?"

"I told you. You're pretty Sunsun."

"Only you think that." Minsun rested her head in his shoulders.

"Hey Tao.."

"Yeah?"

"Is this legal?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are you allowed to use this room?"

"As long as no one knows."

Minsun was about to reply but her phone started ringing.She excused herself and went outside.

"Yoboseyo?"

"Minsun?You have to come home right now." She could barely hear her mother's voice over the background noise.

"What? Umma I can't hear you."

"Come.Now." Mrs.Hu said before the call was lost.

Minsun stared at her phone for a while before deciding it was provably nothing.Her mother was a drama queen after all making mountains out of molehills was her favorite hobby.She turned off her phone and back inside.By the time Tao was satisfied with his painting Minsun had alredy memorized every inch of the room. She was sure Tao would have stayed there the whole day if it hadn't started raining and the sun hadn't been covered in storm clouds. Who paints in a place with no lights or at least a lamp. They "borrowed" an umbrella from the lost and found and walked to the nearest cafe.

"Aish this is why I hate spring." A blond headed guy in a waiter uniform came to them. "Here you go." Key handed them a menu and took their orders. They ate and waited until it stopped raining before leaving the cafe.It was already night outside but the city was covered in light.

"Will you be alright from here?" Tao asked.

"I'll be fine." Minsun waved and crossed the street.

"I'm home!" Minsun closed the door and walked to the small living room.Her smile faded when she saw her mother crying.

"What's wrong?" She asked rushing to Mrs.Hu side.

"Where were you Minsun?" Her mother replied coldly.

"With a friend. What happened?"

"You're father's gone.If you have gotten here in time.."

Minsun couldn't believe her mother's words.For such a long time all she'd done was for her parents.She should feel guilty but she didn't.

"Its not my fault. What if i have gotten here in time? What could i have done?"

"These days you just think about yourself. Why do I have such a selfish child?"

"Me? All I'm doing is for you, I'm studying so I could help you.So you could have a big house umma."

"If you want to help me just marry a rich man. You have nothing in your brain how can someone like you make a living? Use your beauty while you have it." Mrs.Hu stopped sobbing and walked to her room leaving Minsun alone in the dark living room.

That day Minsun didn't sleep. She stayed up the whole night thinking about what her mother had said.Actually she stayed up a lot that month...thinking.The day the funeral was held Minsun stayed at home.She stayed at home and thought. The only time she smiled was when she was with him.If it wasn't for Tao she wouldn't have remembered to eat or go to school.She thought as long as he was there she would be OK. That didn't last long.His future was already planned. No matter how much he ran his family would catch up to him.There was nothing Minsun could do about that.Marry a rich man? A heir? Minsun couldn't do that. She couldn't allow herself to look at Tao while thinking that.She knew he would fight to be with her but she wouldn't, she couldn't. Minsun decided the best thing was to leave.As that spring turned to summer and that year passed it became harder for Minsun to stay by his side.

"Minsun wait up." Ruhi ran to catch up.

"What's up." Minsun kept on walking. Ruhi was Tao's cousin who loved painting as much as he did.

"I heard.You're leaving?" Ruhi said between breaths.

"Seems like it."

Ruhi frowned. "Are you sure you want to leave?"

"Yeah." Minsun took out a letter from her bag. "Give it to him." She handed it to Ruhi who took it and continued frowning at her.

The only reason Minsun had gone to school that day was to grab a couple of papers.To be honest that letter which she had re-written a thousand times wasn't supposed to reach Tao. She wanted to leave without him knowing her reason.Before leaving the school she went up the stairs and reached the studio. How many times had she been there? Over the past two years this place had been like a second home.A secret place that only the two of them knew.She looked up at the dome which was being covered in snow.

"Sunsun?" Tao stood by the door the letter in his hands.He had a serious look in his face. "You're really leaving?"

"Should I say sorry?" Minsun asked.

"We could run away, we could be together."

"You don't get it.I...The last thing I want to do is hurt you." Minsun walked closer to him. "And that's the only thing I can do."

"So you're leaving." Tao finished for her.Minsun looked at him trying to find a sign that he was angry but there was none. As soon as she was close enough he hugged her.

"Sorry."

"I don't want to hear that from you."

"Sorry, I really am" Minsun quietly said holding on to Tao.

"I'll wait for you Sunsun." Tao spoke.

"Mian..I shouldn't be saying this." Minsun pulled away from his hug. "I can't hold you back." She backed away.

"Minsun."

"Become a famous painter. For me." Minsun took a look at him and ran out of the room.


Present

The day had finally come. The reason why she had returned to Seoul after three years. The party held every year by her husband's family. She never attended, too afraid to see him again but this year she had run out of excuses. So there she was walking aimlessly around the art gallery that was the site for this year's party. There were paintings from many artists but there was one that caught her eyes. It was of a street with two sidewalks. On one it was raining and on the other it was snowing.

"Its sad no matter what path you take." A familiar voice spoke.

"You could always go through the middle." Minsun said, tears threatening to fall.

"Then why didn't you take it."