Jo Youngmin

Hugging You (ON HIATUS)

Afterschool, Chunji headed to the café. Before one toe was in the lively café, he was embraced by the homely scents of freshly baked pastries and coffees. Just getting a whiff of this café was enough to get your saliva glands overworking. He sat down near the windows and observed the people around him. All the people were teens from various schools near this café, and all of them seemed to have ordered waffles. Nellie was right, the waffles did seem good. In a corner of the cozy café, he saw a couple sharing a green tea waffle over homework. They seemed rather awkward with each other, which made Chunji smile. Awkward couples were cute.

His casual observations were interrupted by the appearance of Nellie.

“Hi! Did you wait long?” She asked breathlessly, plopping herself across from him.

“No,” he replied.

There was an awkward silence before both spoke at the same time.

“Do you want to try some waffles?”

The awkwardness was cleared like cobwebs as they laughed.

After each of the two had ordered waffles, Chunji got straight down to business.

“So, Nellie, do you know why I need to talk to you?” Chunji asked.

Nellie rolled her eyes. “Of course I do. The whole school knows you want to ask Eunmi out except Eunmi herself. And I’m so proud of you! You broke past those rumours about her to confront your undying love towards her, and you—“

“Wait, what?!” Chunji exclaimed. “The school thinks I’m trying to ask Eunmi out?”

Nellie was confused. “Well, aren’t you? You keep asking anybody and everybody about her. Doesn’t that mean…”

“No! No way!” Chunji said frantically. He then noticed the glare Nellie was sending him.

“I mean, she’s pretty and all, but I don’t like her in that way…” Chunji said meekly as Nellie’s glare grew more intense. “I just wanted to ask her to perform with me at the district talent show.”

Nellie’s entire mood changed like a flip of a page. She grinned sunnily at him.

“Great choice Chunji! Have you heard her voice already? Oh my gosh, her voice is so beautiful!” She gushed.

“Yeah…” Chunji grinned, relieved. His thoughts floated towards yesterday, when he heard her sing in the practice room.

“So, why do you need to talk to me then, Chunji-oppa? I don’t understand why I’m needed.”

“Erm, well, I just wanted to find out more about Eunmi. I heard she’s shy about singing, so I wanted to know how I could convince her to sing with me.”

Nellie became thoughtful. “Hmm, oppa… What’s the worst rumour you’ve learned about Eunmi?”

Chunji shifted uncomfortably.

“Well, she dated Youngmin-ssi, right?”

Nellie nodded slowly. “Anything else you’ve heard?”

“She…Well….I just heard this from others…She’s a….?”

“There we go,” Nellie sighed.

“But I don’t believe she’s a . I’ve only seen her for 2 minutes but it’s enough for me to say, confidently, that I don’t think she’s a .” Chunji said quickly.

“She’s definitely not a . The rumours were all because of the piece of , Jo Youngmin.” She spat bitterly.