001

Don't Go to Neverland

Moonlight streamed in through the window, covering the room in a faint blue light. Jang Eunmi lay still as she slept, her chest rising up and down, matching her peaceful even breathing. Two figures stood quietly in the corner observing her.

“It’s her right? She’s next on the list?”

The taller of the two nodded in response.

“Don’t you ever get tired of this job?” The shorter figure asked.

“Not really. We do it to keep the queen happy and if she’s happy, so am I.”

“Oh…”

Silence engulfed the room once more before the taller suggested the idea of the two of them taking their leave.

The shorter agreed and the two disappeared into glowing purple dust.

 

------------

 

Day came and the sun bathed Seoul in its warmth. Eunmi walked through the school gates, entered the building, and stopped at her locker. Her childhood friend, Hyunji, stood fiddling with something’s in her own locker to the left. Eunmi opened her locker, and a small white card fell out, gently floating to the ground.

A green silhouette of the rather famous Peter Pan was stamped upon the front. Eunmi picked it up and ran her fingers over the card’s edges.

“Ah so it’s Peter Pan this week.” She said as she examined it then flipped it to the back where the words “Join us in Neverland” were typed in an outlandish font.

“Another one?” Hyunji asked as she looked over at the small card.

Eunmi nodded. She had been receiving cards like these every week for the past month. Week one was a purple silhouette of Wendy, week two was a red silhouette of Captain Hook, and last week was a light blue silhouette of one of the Lost Boys. The messages on the back were always the same. Eunmi casually slipped it into her backpack.

“I wish we knew who’s been sending those.” Hyunji said as she shut her locker.

“It’s not that big of a deal.” Eunmi replied whilst closing her locker as well. A small smile planted on her lips.

To be quite honest, Eunmi somewhat enjoyed receiving the cards. It made the inner child in her happy to receive things like this. Things that made her reminisce on her childhood when every night she dreamed of Peter Pan and hoped that she could wake up in Neverland. As a child every Christmas a ticket to Neverland was placed first on her list, followed by a series of Peter Pan related items. A rather accurate description of her childhood would more than likely be that she ate, slept, and breathed, Peter Pan. In fact, to this day her favorite color remains green. Why? Because that is what Peter Pan wears. As a little tot, ever night in her dreams, she was Wendy, flying high in the sky with Peter and Tink by her side, playing and laughing with the Lost Boys, fighting against Captain Hook. It’s what she wanted most.

She still loves Peter Pan to this day but doesn’t display it as often as she did back in her young days where she refused to leave the house without her stuffed Peter Pan doll. At most you’ll see a couple of stickers of Peter on her notebook, and drawings of the Lost Boys and Wendy in her notebook.

Eunmi smiled as she thought about her past and how happy she was when she believed Neverland was real and that Peter Pan could ever come and swoop her off her feet.

Hyunji and Eunmi began walking to class and took their seats once they arrived.

“So did you hear about the new student s we’re supposed to have?”

Eunmi nodded. It was some boy from some place along the lines of California, or Carolina. Some place like that. She didn’t care much therefore she didn’t remember.

The bell rung and the teacher stepped in, a rather handsome young man, who everyone assumed to be the new student, trailed behind him.

Girls swooned and guys grimaced at the dark haired new student stood with a playful smirk. He oozed confidence as he stood straight and tall, eyes scanning the room. At the teachers command her gave his greeting.

“Hello, I’m Lee Kiseop, please treat me kindly.” He said as he winked, bringing all the girls to the threshold of unconsciousness.

The teacher instructed him to take a seat in the free seat behind Eunmi.

“Ah, a seat with a view.” Kiseop said as he took his seat. The girls boiled with jealousy realizing that Kiseop most certainly wasn’t talking about having a nice view of the outside world since his seat was located nowhere near the window.

 

------------

 

Class passed at its usual painfully slow and boring rate, only interrupted by the lunch bell, which released the students from the brain numbing math lesson.

Eunmi and Hyunji sat at their usual seats at lunch, eating happily while chatting about this and that.

Meanwhile girls swarmed Kiseop with invites to sit at their tables, most trying so hard to flirt to an extremely cringe worthy point. Kiseop held tight to his tray as he pushed his way through the swarm of female students, and, one foot after the other, began his trek in the direction of Eunmi and Hyunji’s table. He sat down in the seat directly in front Eunmi, flashing them his dashing, heart melting, smile.

“How are things going for you two ladies today?” He asked with what seemed to be a mix of genuine interest and flirtatious intent.

“I’m sure my day would be better if it didn’t feel like a crowd of jealous girls were plotting my destruction as we speak.” Eunmi said with a bitter smile as she picked at the food left on her plate.

Hyunji lightly slapped her arm, “She’s just kidding. Things are great.” She said with an eye smile.

“That’s good then.” Kiseop said with a nod as he took a sip of his blue Poweraid.

During lunch, Kiseop and Hyunji had pleasant conversation while Kiseop seemed to keep his eyes on Eunmi and on occasion would try to start a conversation with her, only to quickly be shot down. And throughout the day things happened the same way. Hyunji and Kiseop would talk pleasantly while Eunji gave him the cold shoulder, absolutely refusing to be put into one of the overly used plots of a drama where in which she is bullied day in and day out for being too close to the handsome male lead aka Kiseop.

When the school day ended and Eunmi and Hyunji began their walk home together, Hyunji did indeed have a few unhappy words to say to Eunmi for being so cold towards a new student. Eunmi ignored Hyunji’s lecture as they walked at their usual slow pace.

“The farther he is from me the better. And that’s all I have to say on the matter.” Eunmi said, causing Hyunji to frown before she went inside her home, leaving Eunmi to walk by herself for the last block.

 

------------

 

”God that girl is so stubborn!” Kiseop yelled in frustration, “Who on earth wouldn’t want to talk to a hot guy like me?!”

“Jang Eunmi.” AJ said as he smirked and leaned against the wall.

“Shut up.” Kiseop snapped.

Across the room sitting on the bed was Eli who heaved a deep sigh, “Guess this one is going to be difficult to get here.”

“You guys should have sent me out to retrieve her instead of Kiseop!” AJ complained.

“Maybe. We should consult with the queen and the others and see if there could be a possibility of sending more of us out there. She’s bound to like one of us.” Eli said as he lay down on the bed and closed his eyes for a moment.

“Sounds like a plan.” AJ said.

“Mhm.” Eli mumbled before he drifted off and a warm sleep consumed him.