The Nation's Family

Open Your Eyes

A/N: This is a disgustingly long chapter IMO.

Chapter 9: The Nation’s Family

 

They needed to know everything. Every single thing. But there wasn’t enough time.

Seohyun’s manager had sent a van for her, and when she, Yonghwa, and Yunji hadn’t shown up downstairs a half hour before their shoot, her manager had called her phone and yelled at them to get going. That was the first question they had answered.

“Since you’ve had Yunji, you manage yourself, Hyung,” Jungshin explained. “Seohyun’s manager only helps out during music shows, concerts, and variety shows.”

Next came the rest of answers to their questions, but only the surface of them. There was no time to explore the whys and hows.

“You started writing each other letters when we were almost done with our first year in the military. Hyung fell in love and started writing his proposal song,” explained Jungshin in the elevator. He told them how Yonghwa used any free time he could get to scribble down lines, and when they were released from the military, Seohyun had come to welcome him back. People had speculated that they were dating, but no one knew for sure. During their comeback concert, where Seohyun had been asked to come up on the stage to sing with him and the band, he had surprised her and the audience and used the song to propose. “They showed Seohyun’s whole blushing face on the screen. Three months later, you guys married. Half the entertainment business was there! The pictures are all over the internet.”

They told them about the date they had gotten married, how Yonghwa had to go on tour a week after their honeymoon and Seohyun traveled with the band from country to country, how they wrote an acoustic and piano album for her which did well and won some awards, and how they were often candid about their intimacy as a married couple.

“That’s how you won the title, the Nation’s Couple. Your relationship has been unapologetic and candid since day one,” Jungshin finished with his portion of the help as they bombarded the van with not just Yonghwa, Seohyun, and little Yunji, but three extra people. “Hyung once told the nation on Strong Heart that after you got married, your underwear immediately changed from cotton to lace. They wanted to know how you knew it was cotton before.”

Minhyuk and Jonghyun chuckled. Yonghwa almost smiled but didn’t for the sake of Seohyun’s pride.

“Omo! How could you say something like that?” Seohyun gasped, smacking Yonghwa on the arm, forgetting he hadn’t actually done it.

“Ah, the week after, you also told the nation on Strong Heart that in your first year of marriage, you and Yonghwa were intimate at least three times a day, even when we were on tour. Then you told the story of your honeymoon night.”

Seohyun buried her face in her hands. Yonghwa felt a little embarrassed at this and hoped she hadn’t said anything about him being bad at it and looking like an idiot.

Next, Minhyuk took over. He sat in the passenger seat and was turned around to face them, his seatbelt cutting into his neck as he spoke. The bus driver, not wanting to deal with the noise, had put in ear phones to listen to his own music, but Seohyun and Yonghwa were not sure how much he could hear.

“You guys waited a year before you got pregnant with Yunji because you wanted to date outside of the military. The habit you hate about Hyung is that he sneaks Yunji unhealthy food on outings and when you catch him sneaking coffee, and he tries to lie about it. Hyung always claims he finds no fault with you in interviews, but he really hates when your hair clogs the tub and you make him do part of the chores,” he talked hurriedly, like a coach trying to power up his players to win the big game. “One time you accidentally threw away some of his written song lyrics because he had it lying around like trash, and he hasn’t fully forgiven you.”

Jonghyun joined in on the coaching. “Twice a year you take a small family trip. Sometimes we come, and sometimes we don’t.”

“What about my unnies? Do any of them ever come?” asked Seohyun innocently.

Jungshin made a noise. “One in particular used to come until we ended it.”

“Me and Yoona came sometimes too,” said Jonghyun.

“Yoona unnie?” Seohyun’s face lit up. “You’re in a relationship with Yoona unnie?”

“We’ll talk about that later,” Jonghyun waved it off. “What other questions do you have?”

“Why don’t we practice together before performing onstage?” asked Yonghwa. Yesterday’s surprise performance with Seohyun singing some proposal song had really irked him.

Jonghyun smirked in amusement. “You always say it’s about capturing the true passion of the moment. You never practice with your wife before a performance. You want both of you to sing the words naturally as they come. ”

“That’s ridiculous!” Yonghwa muttered. “We looked like idiots up on stage yesterday.”

“For once we agree on something,” Seohyun commented, shaking her head in disapproval. “Capturing true passion? That’s absurd.”

“That’s the Nation’s Couple,” Jonghyun told them. “You two have all of these weird philosophies about life ever since you got married.”

“Ok, what about Yunji. Tell us stuff about her,” Seohyun insisted.

Yunji was sitting in the backseat with Jungshin, who had allowed her to play a game on his phone. She didn’t seem to be paying attention but one could never tell with children.

Seohyun had discovered her interview and photoshoot outfits in her closet, and had dressed her quickly in a cute summer dress with matching sandals. When Seohyun had begged her to leave Pudding the Bear at home, Yunji had sobbed and sobbed. Her samchons had come to the rescue, telling Seohyun that she couldn’t be separated from the bear, and now the bear sat strapped in a seatbelt alongside her. She looked adorable now, the stains of tears now gone.

***

By the time they arrived at the photoshoot and interview—twenty minutes late—Seohyun and Yonghwa hoped they knew enough to get them through. They apologized to the staff, who were more than forgiving, and the two of them were rushed off to opposite ends of the studio for hair and make-up. Yunji sat in the make-up chair next to Seohyun and got her hair braided into cute pigtails.

The CN Blue boys went to a nearby coffee shop to wait for them to finish, although things like this lasted for hours. Seohyun had to hand it to them, they were very trustworthy. It hadn’t taken too much to convince them of the truth, no matter how outrageous it was, and they had helped as much as they could. It was awkward to hear them to talk so in depth about a relationship that wasn’t theirs, but she was grateful. They treated her like a close friend, and she couldn’t help but feel close to them. Minhyuk and Jungshin were her age so it was a given, but she felt something different with Jonghyun. The way he looked at her, it was as if he could hear her thoughts, see what she was thinking. He seemed like such an intense person but the others, even Yonghwa, seemed used to it. Burning.

She stood waiting for Yonghwa, dressed in her button down shirt, pink pants, and cute stiletto heels, while Yunji, in yellow pants and a cute white blouse, played on a chair prop. She had been informed that they would do some poses in this outfit, one in a Paris, elegant-themed scenario, and then they would be interviewed by the magazine. 

Yonghwa emerged in his white button down and blue pants. Seohyun could see his muscles through his shirt, his chest and shoulders perfectly sculpted into the white fabric, and his black hair was greased and fell coolly over his eye. His earrings glistened as he walked toward her with such confidence, looking around the studio and bowing to staff. She couldn’t even begin to pretend that she didn’t see the bulge in his too-tight pants. He had always been good looking to her, even with the crooked toothed smile, but right now, she got a chance to really look at him without the fear of anyone catching her, except maybe him.

He was sort of delicious. In that way that her unnies would whisper feverishly whenever they had just met a particularly handsome man and described the things they would do to him if they had the chance. She never joined in of course, but now, seeing Yonghwa, she thought about it in her head.

“Seohyun? Seohyun?” he asked, and she snapped back into focus.

He was standing in front of her now, observing her observe him.

“N-Nae?” She stuttered in embarrassment and blushed.

“Check me out later,” he grinned. “We’re at work. Let’s be comfortable.”

She knew what he meant by that. They were going to have to pose as a husband and wife would, comfortable and intimate. She would have to touch him, and him, her.  

“Ok. Nothing we haven’t done before,” she shrugged and walked away, attempting to gain back her pride and composure.

Yonghwa was grateful that the first few pictures of him, Seohyun, and Yunji were playful and not very intimate. They mostly played around with jumbo balloons on the floor of the set, tossing them up in the air, kicking them playfully, feigning laughter as if it were the best time ever. Yunji was having real fun and didn’t frighten when one of the balloons popped loudly. Then Yonghwa remembered that she didn’t have all of her hearing. He picked her up and spun her around, put her around his neck. Seohyun joined in and they tickled her playfully and hugged her tightly as the camera clicked and clicked. Then Yunji was given some fruit while Seohyun and Yonghwa had to pose together. Both of them took deep breaths as they prepared to be the Nation’s Couple.

“Fighting,” said Seohyun.

“Fighting,” said Yonghwa, and then they embraced.

He slid his arms around her waist, as if pulling her toward him. She faked a smile as if she adored the gesture. He gave her a piggyback ride, both of them smiling from ear to ear.

“Ok, give me a kiss!” shouted the photographer.

“Nae?” asked Yonghwa.

The studio crew erupted in laughter, thinking that Yonghwa was feigning innocence and joking. “Give your wife a kiss,” the photographer insisted. “A good one”.

“Seohyun—“ started Yonghwa.

Seohyun sighed and said weakly. “Oppa, Fighting.”

Yonghwa chanted in his mind over and over again pretend that you love her. Pretend that she loves you. Pretend that she wants you to kiss her.

He stepped closer, took her face into his hands as her eyes squeezed shut, and leaned in to kiss her. 

“Hold it!” shouted the photographer, and Yonghwa did as told.

Her lips were soft, so soft. Her skin was so smooth that he her face a little, as he had done the night before while she had cried. He felt her trembling, or maybe it was his own lips. He couldn’t be sure. The camera continued to click and click, and then Yonghwa felt the balloons bouncing off of his shoulders and head. They had been released like confetti.

“Great shots!” cheered the photographer after what seemed like forever. “Ok, now only little Yunji! Collect the balloons to be released again!”

Yonghwa stepped away, his lips releasing hers. Seohyun’s face was flushed, and she looked anywhere but at him. As the crew began collecting some of the balloons, she walked off the set without a word.    

Yonghwa stayed behind to watch Yunji get prepped for her solo shots, and the little girl proved to be a natural in front of the camera. He couldn’t contain his smile even though he was worried he had insulted Seohyun. Or if he was a bad kisser.

Eventually, they changed into their new outfits that the crew had provided, fancy clothes that gave off the vibe of being a rich, powerful family. Seohyun emerged in a too-y-for-a-mother-to-wear black dress, furry hat, and heels. Yunji looked like a princess in black and white striped dress, and Yonghwa looked like a British spy. The setting was Paris, with fake fancy furniture and a black piano.

Seohyun did not offer him a “fighting”, but she seemed determined to do a good job and get the shoot over with. At one point, she had to lean over his shoulder as he rested on a comfortable velvet couch while they watched Yunji fake play the piano. They discovered that when she tried to actually play it, she would tilt her good ear toward the keys. The photographer didn’t think the pictures looked nice if she showed this handicap.

“Are you ok?” He whispered to Seohyun as she rested her hand on his shoulder and leaned forward more, posing.

“Nae,” she responded quietly.

They changed around the set, adding a large, fake cutout of an Eiffel tower, and Seohyun and Yonghwa had to pose in front of it without Yunji.

“Ok, now Seohyun, you’re in the city of love. Kiss Yonghwa with an abundance of passion!”

“Nae.”

She leaned into him quickly, catching him off-guard, and caught him in another soft lipped kiss. Again, they were directed to hold it for what seemed like ages.

When she finally pulled away, she turned and bowed to the crew.

“What was that?” he asked her, a little upset that she was being cold about the situation after kissing him so casually.

“You stole my real first kiss. What could I do about it other than kiss back?” she explained rather detached.

“I had no choice.”

“I didn’t say you did.”

“But you’re acting the opposite.” She was starting to frustrate him again. “What did you want me to do, say no? You knew we would have to.”

“Is everything ok?” asked the photographer, who had noticed their dire whispering and frustrated expressions.

“Oh, my wife just feels like there wasn’t enough passion in the kiss for you to capture it well,” Yonghwa announced, purposely to embarrass her. “She was wondering if she should do it over.”

“Yah!” Seohyun whacked him on the arm angrily, and the studio laughed.

Yonghwa caught her hand on the third whack, realizing why she was acting like this. “You liked it, didn’t you?”

“Don’t flatter yourself,” she replied, but he noticed the blush returning to her face as she left the set again.

And it was true. Seohyun more than liked it. But there was no way she was going to admit that to him.

After the photoshoot wrapped, it had been over three hours, and they still had to do the magazine interview.

They all got dressed in the outfits they had come in, and Yunji was reunited with her bear. The interviewer was a beautiful young woman who looked pleasant and charming. Seohyun figured Yonghwa would be checking her out through the entire interview. She and the cameramen waited patiently for them.

“I’m the better speaker,” Seohyun told Yonghwa quietly, making sure they were out of earshot. “Let me answer the majority of the questions. You answer the ones about music and touring. Or ones you think you can handle.”

Yonghwa trusted her, knowing how great she was at interviews. She spoke so full of intelligence and authority that she could give a speech on cooking rice and he’d feel stimulated. Yonghwa took her hand, and she took Yunji’s, and together, as a family, the approached the interviewer.

First were the kind greetings. Then, Seohyun sized her up quickly. She was going to be one of those interviewers that had planned a lot of personal questions to get them to falter.

She began with basic questions that both Seohyun and Yonghwa answered with ease, but as the questions became harder and more personal, Seohyun led the conversation.

It was like watching an intense chess match, Yonghwa thought, and Seohyun was determined to win. Yonghwa was the pawn that got to say something witty when the time was right.

“You released a mini album together but never got to promote it fully because you’re daughter was born. Will we see a new album from the two of you soon?”

Yonghwa, the pawn, took the question. “Nae, definitely. It’s a slow process right now because I’m doing a lot for CN Blue, and Seohyun’s concentrating on her SNSD performances, but when we feel we can really dedicate the time, we’ll work hard and release something. We want it to be perfect for our fans and capture our feelings well.”

They were asked if Yunji would be receiving a little brother or sister soon, and Seohyun moved another piece on the board figuratively speaking. “Yesterday, my omma asked the same question. We’re open to having more children, but we want the child to meet us when he or she thinks it’s time. Either way, we’re enjoying watching our daughter grow up beautifully.”

“Please, tell our country how your love has changed as you continue through marriage,” the interviewer said charmingly, setting them up for failure. “With separate schedules and being fulltime parents, surely some of the love has faded away, right?”

But Seohyun had apparently foreseen the question and was prepared to give an answer. “It’s new everyday, our love,” she replied with a smile. “We wake up, and we have to start all over again. That’s the philosophy that we keep. That’s how we keep it going.”

Yonghwa’s eyes widened, not having expected for her to answer the question so gracefully. He looked at her, and smiling, she looked at him. They stared at each other for a few moments, and unknowing to either one of them, a connection was starting to form. The thread of a bond was starting to thicken.

“You seem surprised, Yonghwa-sshi,” the interviewer grinned politely, catching his attention again.

“Oh, just admiring my wife. She speaks really well,” unable to hide his pride in her. They were going to make it out of this thing alive. Checkmate.

 

A/N: This chapter gave me hell. I never want to look at it again. Sorry for any spelling errors. Thank you for patiently waiting! Please continue to read, subscribe, comment, and be awesome!! Because that’s what you guys are.