Prologue: The Night Before

Open Your Eyes

A/N: Better writing to come, I promise. This was the best I could do at a prologue.

Prologue: The Night Before

 

YONGHWA:

Yonghwa sat motionless in front of the TV as he watched the news clip. Jonghyun, Minhyuk, and Jungshin sat with him, just as still, frowning.

“…It’s official,” the news anchor was saying, “Korea’s #1 flower band CN Blue is heading off to their joined military duty of two years. They are set to leave for camp tomorrow morning. Boice fans, will you be there tomorrow to show your love?”

Yonghwa didn’t pay much attention to the rest. He clicked the TV off and allowed for silence to rest among the members. When he thought it was enough, he stood in front of them.

“Did everyone call their parents?” he asked.

“Nae,” said all three in unison.

“Hyung, we should’ve spent time with them tonight,” Jungshin pouted, running his hand through his buzz cut hair.

“Annio, we always said we’d spend the last night together,” Yonghwa insisted. “We’ve said our goodbyes, and tomorrow, we’ll say them again. And in two years, CN Blue will come back together.”

“With no one to come home to,” muttered Minhyuk.

“Hyung, you’re being too optimistic,” chimed Jonghyun to Yonghwa. “I don’t want to talk about it anymore. Let’s just eat.”

They went out to a restaurant and spent more money on their meal than they had ever. When they came home, Yonghwa was the last to go to bed. He shut off the light, hugged his pillow, and privately and quietly, cried.

His phone rang.

He wiped at his eyes and looked at it. A weird picture appeared on the screen of a spinning purple diamond. He tapped at the screen several times, but the diamond kept spinning and nothing else appeared.

Yonghwa jumped out of bed and stormed out of his room.

“Yah! Get out here now!” he shouted. Slowly, Jungshin, Minhyuk, and Jonghyun wandered out with red eyes. Had they been crying too?

Yonghwa held his phone up for all of them to see. “Jungshin, is this one of your jokes?”

Jungshin looked closer. “Annio, what is that?”

“It looks like a diamond. Is it a game?” asked Minhyuk.

“None of you sent this to me?” Yonghwa looked puzzled. “It won’t get off the screen.” He tapped it several times to demonstrate to them.

“Hand it here,” said Jonghyun. He took out the battery, but the diamond kept spinning.

“I can’t deal with this the night before I give my life away for two years,” Yonghwa growled, feeling ready to throw his phone against a wall.

Suddenly, a voice, a female voice echoed from the phone.

“Yoboseoyo?” said the female voice.

“Yoboseoyo? Yejie? Is this you? This better be a prank.”

The female voice waited a beat before saying very calmly, “Yonghwa-sshi, if you had the chance to do anything over in your life, would you?”

“Who is this?” Yonghwa demanded.

“Would you?”

“Hyung, just hang up,” whispered Jungshin. “It’s probably a sasaeng fan. Totally crazy.”

“Let him answer, Jungshin-sshi,” ordered the female voice.

Everyone stared around at each other with wide eyes. Things were getting a little too creepy.

“Please answer the question.”

“I’ll answer if you tell me who you are.”

“Fine. Please answer.”

“Annio. My life is exactly how it’s supposed to be. I wouldn’t change anything.”

“Then, I’ll do it for you,” said the voice. There was a click, and the call ended. The diamond disappeared, and the regular screen came back.

....................................................

 SEOHYUN:

There was shifting around the room, making Seohyun stir from her sleep. She turned over in bed and saw a silhouette moving quickly and desperately. She reached over and the light and wasn’t surprised to find Hyoyeon caught like a little blonde deer in headlights. Hyoyeon was fully dressed in a pair of jeans, black heels, and was sticking one arm into a jacket. 

“Unnie?”

“Go back to sleep, Seohyun-ah.” Hyoyeon continued moving throughout the room.

“Unnie, what’s wrong?” Seohyun rubbed her eyes to focus.

“Nothing. Please, Maknae, go back to sleep.” She threw some make-up in her purse and ran a hand through her hair anxiously.

“Where are you going? It’s really late.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll be back.” Hyoyeon checked her phone.

“Unnie,” said Seohyun quietly. Suddenly, her behavior all made sense. “Please, don’t meet that guy. We have schedules tomorrow. You need sleep, and he should respect that.”

“Why are you always acting like this Joohyun?” Hyoyeon snapped. “You’re not my mother, and I’m older. Don’t speak to me anyway you want.”

“Mianne.”

“Go back to sleep,” ordered Hyoyeon one final time before leaving the room.

Seohyun fell back into her pillow, feeling both hurt and angry, and tried to fall back asleep again. She tried not to worry about her unnie driving around the city so late at night, visiting some stupid guy who couldn’t even understand that sleep was more important than a rendez-vous date that could wait.

As soon as Seohyun found her comfortable position and began drifting off once more, the dark room began to glow purple. She traced the light to her phone and saw a purple diamond spinning on the screen. She tried to click off of it, even shut off her phone, but nothing would work. Right before she was about to take out the battery, a female voice echoed from the phone.

“Yoboseyo?” said the voice.

“Hyoyeon unnie?” Seohyun asked unsurely.

“No, Seohyun-sshi. But if I were her, would you run to stop me?” the woman asked.

Seohyun tried hanging up again, but it was no use. She tried to remain calm. “Who is this? Please tell me your name.”

“I’ll tell you my answer if you tell me yours.”

“I think there’s been a misunderstanding.”

“There’s no misunderstanding, Seohyun-sshi. Just answer my question.”

Seohyun sighed. “I wouldn’t. She’s right. I overstepped my place.”

“So careful, so afraid to fight for what you love. Or who. So it drifts away before you can grasp hold of it.”

That’s it. No more of this craziness. “I’m sorry, but I won’t continue this conversation. I don’t understand how you got my phone number, but please respect my privacy and hang up.”

“You’ll continue this conversation, but not with me, Seohyun-sshi. You’ll have it with the person you love. And make it count.”

Before she could say a word in response, the phone shut off and Seohyun was left alone in the darkness of the room, unaware of what had just taken place.