A New Beginning

What a Year

Alfie was up and ready to get going. His dream of being a K-pop star was close to becoming true, just as he has finished winning the competiton K-pop Star Hunt, a television show he has watched since he was 15. Now it was his chance to make himself shine on stage.

"Wow," he thought, glancing at the contract he won from the competition as he was getting dressed into his best K-pop fashion, which included a pair of blue skinny jeans, pink sneakers with multicoloured laces, a greenish yellow sweater and a red jacket with a black cap. He looked into the mirror and thought he looked just like Jonghyun. He was not surprised when people told him he look like Jonghyun, which was particularly due to similar facial features and his interest of SHINee trend. At first, he thought he looked like a tourist, considering that he was carrying a purple and pink backpack too, however he felt that he had no choice but to go like this, since it was already cold in the city of Seoul.

"Bye, Mom. Bye, Dad." Alfie said as he left the house for the airport.

"Good luck, Alfie." his parents answered back, hugging him. "No matter what happens, we will always love and support you, and have faith in whatever you do."

Alfie was so excited that he began to tear up, as he left for the bus heading to the airport.

 

As soon as he arrived at the airport, he knew that the flight for Incheon was 2 hours later, so he decided to sit in a nearby cafe and eat a chocolate doughnut with some hot chocolate whilst listening to Orange Caramel on his iPod. Nibbling on the doughnut like a mouse, Alfie knew that the time he was going to the Cube Entertainment building was near, so his heart started thumping like a stethoscope from being nervous. To calm down his nerves, Alfie decided to sip down his hot chocolate more. By the time he was finished, he was warm head to toe.

Alfie decided to take a stroll around the airport. At this point he was only thinking about already being at the Cube Entertainment building, therefore he was not paying any attention to the time. He was so nervous and trembling that he looked like a cold zombie lurking around the airport. It was only half an hour since he left the cafe, however every moment for him felt like an eternity.

Finally more time passed, so he decided to sit down with his hands in his face, and take a rest. His heart was beating so loudly that he did not even hear the announcer speaking,

The Korean Air flight for Incheon, South Korea will be leaving in 15 minutes.

Alfie woke up with a start, nearly forgetting about the time. However he finally managed to pull himself up to his feet and walk towards the gate.

"Ok," he told himself with a heavy breathe, "Let's do this."

 

As soon as he boarded the plane, he opened the window shade and looked outside. "I'll be in Korea in only 5 hours...." Alfie told himself, who was now both nervous and excited.

3 hours later, the flight attendant came, serving lunch. She handed a bowl of bibimbap with sesame oil and hot pepper paste to go with it, smiling.

"Enjoy your meal." she said in Korean.

Alfie was so hungry that he tore over the bibimbap instantly like a wild bear grazing over a hunted animal. After the meal, he felt very, very, sleepy, so he dozed off.

 

Alfie finally arrived in Korea by 4 o'clock in the afternoon. He could hardly believe his eyes. Everything seemed so different that the footage of Korea he saw on the Internet, on Facebook posts and on TV. Pictures of K-pop stars decorated the walls that the airport looked so much like an art gallery. Alfie grinned as he saw a TV screen showing a commercial of Yoona advertising cosmetics in front of the immigration counter.

"Yoona...." he whispered over and over, amazed at how she seemed so real, especially since he was in Korea watching this commercial.

 

Collecting his luggage, and heading for the exit to the bus terminal, he breathed for another time fully and told himself, "Alfie, this is no time to be nervous. You wanna be a K-pop star? You gotta take this opportunity. This is your only chance to prove yourself and show everyone what you can do. This is the only time you can see your favourite K-pop stars. Now stop being nervous and let's go."

Alfie stood up proud and golden, and walked to the bus stop, looking for the bus that would take him to the Cube Entertainment building.

 

After having founded the bus to downtown Seoul, he boarded it, and began riding it for around 3 hours, looking forward to the beginning of his journey.