The Imposter (KaiHyun)

A Softer World's drabbles

He dreams of her sometimes. Not often, but the times he does, the images are soft. Her skin seems translucent and a halo surrounds her. He never had trouble telling that it was a dream, the reality to him seemed a stark contrast.

“Not the same,” he murmurs under his breath and she turns her head to him, blinking large eyes in askance. He shakes his head and smiles a bit a once again. Then murmurs when she looks away, “not the same.”

When he speaks of the dreams, they tell him the younger sister seemed to fit the image more. Soft spoken, shy demeanor. The very image of the one he lost, yet better. He disagrees, but never verbalizes the thoughts, simply scrunching his nose as they comment.

They tell him she still lives but he doubts it. The image is too striking, too real for him not to believe that it is her, a visit from the terrestrial form of the girl. Her sister reassures him that she is fine, far away.

“Then why hasn’t she called?”

“There’s no phone service.”

“She could write.”

“They wouldn’t allow it.”

Kimmy would never explain who ‘they’ were. He didn’t ask. “She’s fine. I promise.” He senses an edge in her voice and ignores it once again. To believe that there was still a chance, though only feather light, comforts him. The next time he doesn’t ask.

He thinks sometimes that she left, left because of him. He didn’t try hard enough. He’d hurt her too much. Then realizes that he thinks too highly of himself to believe he would be reason for her to leave without a word.

That bothered him endlessly, she left without so much as a good bye. With a sigh he pushes it out of his mind again. 

He protects and cares for Kimmy for no reason but that she looks like her, the one he misses. But not completely, he doesn’t need to look closer to know that like the others. Her complexion is paler than hers was, and softer. The youngers eyes are sharper, a reddish tint coloring them- the kind that got the school photographer mad as he couldn’t tell if it was the camera’s work or the natural color of eyes.

He thinks of her often. The memories come and go, some were still vivid, others were blurred- sometimes because time, sometimes because of his reluctance to remember what had happened. On the days his footsteps take him to the roof of the dorm buildings, he thinks of her blue and white striped shirt and auburn tresses as the wind ruffles them. He misses her soft gaze and gentle touch of her small hands. On other days, as he stays in his room, he thinks of the many times she walked in and made herself at home, the the way it felt to run his calloused fingers through her soft hair. Once in a while he remembers the smoldering looks and the curves that she flaunted tauntingly. 

They were, he tells himself, perfect and impossible in ways. With time, the memories of her didn’t fade away, or diminish in the least bit. He remembers her more often with each day, and more things seem to bring back the images of their past.

He tells Kimmy, after a year or two that they were more than friends. He loved her.  “I love her.” He quickly corrects and she thinks he does it to see her reaction. “You have  someone else now. You did then too.”

“I still loved her.”

She stays silent and doesn’t ask anything more. He thinks that in ways his relationship with Kimmy was almost like what he once had with her. Yet different. Silence between him and Kimmy were so they wouldn’t have to know. With her, it was because she knew.

It’s after a few more years that he brings himself to ask the question.

“Will she come back?”

Kimmy says nothing. He never asks again.

It was always silence between them, he muses, neither spoke much. He didn’t mind that.

She never spoke in the dreams either.

He stayed silent as well.

He never told her he loved her, figured there was always time. He would tell her when she came back.

 

A.N./ I lied ._. it wasn't the one I said it would be XP ...and I haven't updated in forever. And it is supposed to be a KaiHyun fic. What is Kaihyun, you may ask? Kai (EXO) x Hyuna (4 Minute) yay for crack pairings!! ^o^ AU. Obviously. ._. Fail drabble is fail. That is all. .________.