Just Don't fly away

A Softer World's drabbles

 

                                                                                 

                                                                          

The first time they met, he was wearing white. It was one of the first things Youngwoon noticed once he had walked through the doors of the practice room for the first time. A white tank top to be exact, and a silver chain with some kind of small pendant. He noticed that like the others that surrounded him, he had a lean frame. Another boy -a tall one- nudged him and nodded towards the one who had just walked in with one of the staff. The tall boy was staring him down, he could feel it. The other only looked at him for a fleeting second before glancing at the tall one and going back to his conversation with the boy with a gummy smile. All of a sudden, he felt completely out of place.

~

He learned later that his name was Leeteuk and that he was in fact one of the oldest in their little group. After a few months he was put in a group with the tall boy-Yunho, his name was, the talkative one who could be extremely creepy at times and Heechul. It turned out that Heechul was actually the same age as Leeteuk. They were apparently friends, and Heechul was the one to inform him that he was called Park “baram,” for reasons he wouldn’t specify.

“He’s a complete ert~”Heechul whispered and Jaejoong, the occasionally creepy one started giggling.

“But he seemed nice to me…?”

“Have you seen him talking to the girl trainees?”

“Um-“

“He’s smooth” Jaejoong said staring out into space with a look of admiration and Kangin really hoped that’s all it was because if there was something more to it, that would put images in his head that he didn’t care much for.

“Are you talking about Teukie hyung?” the tall one walked in and Heechul scoffed.

“Why? Are you going to go tell him that we’ve been talking about him?”

He shrugged and sat down beside Jaejoong.

“It’s just that gossiping is so childish. Only 12 year old girls do that.”

“So does telling me that Heechul got kicked out of the guys washroom because everyone thought he was a girl count as gossip? I mean technically that is just sharing facts…” Jaejoong pondered and Yunho blushed while Heechul stared daggers into both of them.

“Whatever,” he mumbled before going back to playing on his cellphone, “at least I don’t take pictures of guys when they’re taking a dump.”

Yunho cleared his throat and scooted away and it was Jaejoong’s turn to glare daggers into Heechul.

~

“Four Seasons” was canceled, and it had been a year since Dong Bang Shin Ki debuted. Heechul debuted as an actor, and he was still training.

But this time there were twelve of them training together, including Heechul and the other kid who was in the drama he was in- Kibum. They were told that it was going to be a rotational group.  Leeteuk, being the oldest, was given the responsibility of being the leader for the first ‘generation’ as it was put, and that worried some. Leeteuk was the quiet type and it was hard to imagine that he would actually be able to manage handling  11 other guys. The youngest one was sixteen. Of course the youngest two were probably more mature than some of the others put together, but whatever the level of maturity, it was still eleven other people. He didn’t talk to Leeteuk all that much, and they hadn’t really gotten a chance to hang out other than with the other guys.

“So Park, what are you going to do if we don’t listen to you?” Shindong asked twirling on of the chopsticks in his hand. The gummy smiled one started grinning.

Yeah. What are you going to do?”

“Are you gonna like…beat us up?” Shiwon said rather worriedly and most of the group burst into laughter, Leeteuk? Beat up Siwon? Even at seventeen, the boy was almost a full head taller than the oldest of their group. Leeteuk simply smiled.

“No.”

Containing his laughter, Yesung looked up at the leader who still was eating his food in undisturbed by the commotion.

“So…?”

“I’ll get Youngwoon to beat you up.” The laughter came to an abrupt stop and everyone looked expectantly at Kangin as Kangin stared wide eyed at Leeteuk. Glancing up for a moment Leeteuk chuckled at the other’s incredulous look.

“Don’t worry. I was just kidding, no one is beating up anyone.”

There were actually a few sighs of relief, and ironically one of them was from Kangin.

~

The party started to die down after a few hours, and despite the fact that nearly every one of them were hyper enough to continue jumping up and down in joy and excitement, they had started to tire out after the day’s practice and the anticipation of their official debut stage. It had went well, and no one panicked and froze in the middle, which in itself should count as a success. The size of the band still raised eyebrows but it had its own charm and there were those who could see that. Soon enough the others would realize it too.

The living room was a complete mess and the kitchen was formidable and most of the group, managers included were sprawled across the room while some others were riding out the last bit of energy they had by messing up the place more than Kangin had thought was possible. It wasn’t until he looked around to try to figure out where everyone would sleep- something that he later found useless since most of them just fell asleep where they were on the living room floor- that he noticed that Leeteuk was missing. Gently, he moved Sungmin’s head off his thigh and left a throw cushion in its place before he searched the rest of the rooms, wondering if he had already gone to bed.  Finding no one but Kibum who had curled up in one of the beds, he slipped out of the dorm grabbing his jacket on the way, and made his way up to the roof.

He wasn’t sure why he thought he would be there, but he was right. Leeteuk had a way of disappearing at times, and the best place to look for him was somewhere it was silent. And what better place than here?

“Hey.”

Leeteuk looked back at him and smiled, as Kangin approached him.

“Hey.” He turned his attention back to the night sky. He looked up at the sky; it was unusually cloudy.

“Think it’s gonna rain?” He wasn’t entirely sure himself why he had asked but it was better than the awkward silence, though Leeteuk seemed to be anything but awkward.

“Probably.”

“Maybe you should go inside.”

Leeteuk chuckled and threw a questioning glance at him.

“Why? Are you worried about my health?”

“…no…” The teasing smiled dropped from the Leeteuk’s face.

“So you’re not worried about my health?”

“No! I mean, that’s not what I meant-” Kangin panicked, reasons unknown to himself.

“Dude, relax,” Leeteuk smiled at him, “I was just messing with you.” Chuckling, Leeteuk shook his head and turned his attention back to the sky. Chuckling awkwardly Kangin leaned forward onto the railing.

“I like the rain though.”

“What?” Kangin twisted his head, and focused his attention on him.

“I was born on a rainy day.”

Kangin laughed.

“An angel sent down from heaven, huh?”

Leeteuk smiled.

“Well you’ll need one.” Kangin looked at him puzzled, “you’re living with Heechul.”

Their laughs reverberated through the purple night sky.

~

“I’m sorry.”

He couldn’t bear to look up. He was well aware that the other was chosen by the the restof the group to confront him.

Leeteuk sighed.

“I’m really sorry.”

Neither said anything for a while.

Kangin looked up and locked eyes with the other for a long moment.

Sighing once more, the older looked away.

“That was a really stupid move.”

Kangin bit his lip.

“The drunk driving thing will pass, but the bar incident…”

“I know.”

He had never felt so ashamed. The media pounced on the story as soon as it got a few leaks. He had made the mistake once, and he never really was known to be an angel but even this was taking it too far. Super Junior would take a while to get back from this.

A bitter laugh escaped Leeteuk as his shoulders dropped, the tense air evaporating slowly.

“Management’s gonna be a about this.”

Kangin tried to force a smile but it turned out a grimace more than anything.

Both heads turned to the door that was ajar, as they heard a snort from the end of the room. The door swung open and Kyuhyun stepped out, then closed the door behind him.

Walking towards Kangin and plopping down on the bed, Kyuhyun reached to the nightstand to grab the PSP he had forgotten there earlier, before the chambers were locked for discussion. He stretched himself out on the bed behind Kangin.

“I told them having you trying to talk sense into him was pointless.”

Leeteuk didn’t even have to ask Kangin to smack the others head, Kangin was glad to do it himself.

“Ow!!”

“Impudent brat.” The two said in one voice, with an almost natural harmony that they could hardly find when on stage. But then again, Kyuhyun had a way of doing that.

Kyuhyun scowled and left the room, with the PSP of course, sticking his tongue out at the two before slamming the door shut.

Leeteuk looked back at him, and smiled.

“Don’t worry. We’ll figure it out.”

He trusted him.

~

Months later Kangin wove through a sea of people quietly, some smiled and nodded as he passed them. Slowly he approached the man he was looking for. Slightly tapping on his shoulder, he waited for the other to turn.

Leeteuk twisted back, “Hey!” His eyes lit up, ecstatic to see the other.

“Hey,” Kangin smiled and the two exchanged a quick hug.

“Well look who got a pretty good tan! How’s military life treatin’ ya?” Leeteuk steered them towards a side of the room. The room bustled with staff, coordinators, stylists managers and of course, Super Junior.

“Not bad, not bad. And how have you been? And the others?”

Leeteuk opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by an excited shout from the center of the room, that seemed to approach closer by the moment.

“Hyung!!” In a matter of seconds, the rest of the gang had crowded around the two, Donghae hanging off Kangin’s back. Leeteuk only stood smiling as the other swamped him with questions, and hugs and news updates on about everything.  A few minutes later, they gathered around in a circle and each had a glass of champagne.

“I propose a toast,” Kyuhyun said and the others focused their attention on him. Lifting his glass, he began, “To 10 months of a good group, and 4 years and 2 months of a perfect group.” He paused as the others laughed.  “For those of us who are not here today, we know that your thoughts and your love are with us. We love you two.” There were murmurs of agreement before he moved on. “We’ve been through heaven and hell through these past years, and it has made us stronger, and brought each other closer. They say that those who have been together through a time of crisis can connect people even more than having spent decades together.” He smiled at Eunhyuk, and glanced at the others. “I guess that pretty much makes us inseparable.” The others chuckled, the words were too true.

He raised the glass, “To Super Junior, to fifteen members , to five years of good times and bad times, to stories that that we will one day be telling our grand children, and to everything we have worked for and gained, and even the things we lost, and to the many years ahead of us,” He paused. Then continued with a smile.

“To us.”

“To us!” the others echoed and the clinks of the champagne glasses resounded through the room and the rest of those in the room beamed at the group for a few seconds before turning back to whatever conversation they were having.

Leeteuk turned to Kangin, “You know, once you’re back, I’ll probably have to leave for my Millitary service.”

“But- how about-”

“Heechul is probably going to join too, so you’re going to have to help Yesung with them.” He gazed at the others. Kangin stared at him incredulously.

“Are you kidding me?! I can’t do that!” Leeteuk looked back at him.

“Why not? If they don’t listen you can beat them up.” Kangin tried to imagine the others for a moment without Leeteuk pretty much watching over them, and perhaps it was just his imagination but he felt a little dizzy. Leeteuk laughed at his horrified and dazed expression.

“I just joined the military and I’m looking forward to it ending. Not anymore.”

“You’ll be fine. And plus, it’s a long time away and two years in the military might give you a few pointers on how to go about it.” Leeteuk snickered. Looking back at the group, he smiled and turned back to Kangin.

“And plus, I trust you.”

And somehow, any insecurity he had faded away. Leeteuk chuckled and  steered him towards the rest of the crowd, who almost naturally pulled in the other two. Kangin stood there with a kind of wonder, that he couldn’t explain. Heechul caught his eye and looked at him questioningly. Kangin shook his head and simply smiled.

He was wrong the first time he met them.

He was exactly where he was supposed to be.

 

A.N./ I am incapable of keeping deadlines, and this is pointless.

that's pretty much all I have to say.

kthnxbai

-Sweet Dreams.