Ch. 1

I Never Knew

I didn't really know much about him but how he acts different than everyone. Not in a bad way, but in a good way. Which drew me to grow more interested in him.
I plainly stared at his figure that was towering over me, still unable to completely process the words that came out of his mouth that were directed at me.
My unsignificant thoughts were cut off by his deep but somewhat alluring voice that spoke once more, "So? You'll be my partner for this project?"
I nodded furiously but soon regained my composture as soon as I realized how dorky I must've seem the way I was too enthusiastic to be his lab partner.
He chuckled and nodded, "Cool", and with that, he returned back to his seat which was 2 rows away from mine.
Being a person like me, you can't help to think but why he chose me. 
We hadn't spoken ever before nor he has even laid eyes on me; or so I thought.
My mind made assumptions on the spot; which as you all know, won't really benefit us in the end. 
Does he like me? Did he choose me because he finally noticed me? But how could a guy like him like me?

It was already lunch time and I sat alone underneath the tree, overlooking the city. Our school was on top of a mountain, but not too high up that you would feel nauseous when you look down. Although it's quite tiring to walk up to the school since the ground is inclined and even though I'm a tiny person and I could be blown by a strong wind anytime, I'm not the athletic type of person but rather the kind that studies and prefers to stay inside and blog all day long when there's no school work or tests at hand.
"May I?"
A familiar voice spoke behind me. I flinched in surprise as I turned and found myself face to face with him.
He usually eats in the cafeteria with his group of friends, why would he sit here with me?
"Sure.." I mumbled inaudibly but it seemed like he heard since he immediately took a seat on the soft grass beside me.
I felt my arm tingle from his arm touching mine as he didn't bother keeping a safe distance between us.
An empty and awkward silence filled the air. 
I played with my food contemplating whether I should start the conversation first or let the silence grow until I shrink into bunch of ashes from the awkwardness.
"Why-"
"I'm-"
We both spoke in unison as we stared into each others eyes. He chuckled and gestured, "Ladies first,"
I smiled and nodded, "Why are you here?" 
He looked at me in surprise as if he wasn't expecting a girl like me to bluntly ask him that.
"Can't I spend time with my lab partner?" He grinned cheekily. 
"Seriously!" I demanded as I pouted and crossed my arms.
He chuckled and looked down at his lap, "We need to discuss our project and when to meet and such."
I felt my heart drop. I shouldn't have expected him to say something else.
I nodded, "Let's meet every Tuesdays and Thursdays, after school in the library? Would that be okay?"
He looked up and nodded, "That's okay, yeah."
We both simuntaneously looked ahead at the urban view laid out in front of our eyes.

 

 

We ended up exchanging numbers; for project purposes. 
It has been three weeks and a half since we started meeting for our project. Only 2 more weeks till the due date; which means only 4 days left I have to spend time with him.
Honestly, I was disappointed, but at the same time, I'm not.
He ended up eating with me everyday, walking me home everyday. It had me assuming whether the feeling's mutual. Whether he liked me. Whether he wanted to spend time with me, not out of project purposes.
Today's a Friday. I had no plans whatsoever. 
There wasn't really a day where I despised going to school; well for the fact that I'm the top student in the school and secondly, I always looked forward to see him, to have him walk me home with his persuasion.

"I can't believe we're almost done our project!" He sighed as he laid down on the grass beside me. He was resting his head on his arms as he looked up at the sky. I turned and looked down at him as I examined his face carefully. From his eyes, down to his nose, down to his lips. I felt my blood rush up to my cheeks.
"Done?" He asked as he smirked at me.
"D-Done e-eating? Pft. Y-Yeah." I stuttered nervously and in embarrassment.
"No, done staring at me.." He chuckled.
"I wasn't!" I argued.
"Yes you were." 
I didn't bother talking back knowing I would lose once again.
"Do you have a girlfriend?" I suddenly asked. I wanted to slap myself for suddenly asking. Oh great, now he would find out that I like him.
He shook his head gently, "She and I broke up not too long ago."
I could hear sadness in his voice and that shut me in. I don't have a chance. I thought.
He still has feelings for his girlfriend.

"But, it was my choice. I caught her with another guy as they swallowed each others face. It was disgusting." He chuckled. For some reason, his laugh didn't seem forced. It was natural. As if his sudden sadness washed away in an instant.
"Do you like someone now?" I asked. I'm not backing out. I'm just curious. It doesn't mean I want him..Right?
He suddenly sat up and looked deep into my eyes, "Why are you asking me these?"
"I-I'm just curious." 
He smiled from ear to ear, "That information...its confidential." He winked at me as stood up and dusted his khaki coloured pants.
"See you later, Haneul-ah."

 

"Where are you bringing me?" I groaned, but deep inside, I was thrilled. 
His hands were wrapped around my wrist; I felt safe.
"I'm bringing you to.. Ta-Da!"
I looked in front of me as I eyed big oak tree. I looked around the empty park and then back at him.
"What about it?"
He let go of my wrist and stood in front of the tree with his arms out.
"It's our new tree!"
"O-Our?" I stuttered.
He laughed and stepped closer to me. "Yeah, our."

It was already 7pm at night, and we didn't have plans on leaving as we rested our backs on the big oak tree we named, Namu. Yeah. Not that creative. Namu. But it seemed nice.
"Do you have a boyfriend Haneul?" He suddenly asked in a quiet voice.
I looked at him, "Why are you asking?" Again, I was hoping he would say something along the lines of, "I want to be your boyfriend" or whatnot.
Instead he replied, "Because you asked me if I had a girlfriend, and I'm just returning the question." 
He said it without hestitation that made me disappointed.
"I did. But we broke up last year."
He suddenly sat up in interest, "What happened?"
"It didn't work out. I mean, he was a great guy. I loved him. But he was suddenly admitted to a university overseas since he applied early and I figured I couldn't handle long-distance relationships. He understood though.."
Chanyeol remained silent. He didn't say a word.
"Hey Haneul, it's getting pretty late. I'll walk you home."