Chapter 3

One to Ten

"Are you kidding me? He's my best friend! And not just any best friend, he's my childhood best friend. There's no way I can fall for him," Seolhyun retorted. 

Mina jumped a little, shocked at Seolhyun's anger outburst. She stayed quiet for a second before replying, "Oh." 

Seolhyun rubbed her temples, frustrated at both Mina and herself. 'God, this is stressing me out," she thought. Seolhyun grabbed Mina's water bottle and chugged the liquid down before crushing it.

"Hey, I know how you feel, but you didn't have to do that to my water bottle," Mina said, feeling a sudden urge of anger. 

"Oh, so now you're more worried about your water bottle? Hashtag best friend goals," Seolhyun replied sarcastically. Mina glared at Seolhyun, ridiculed at her immaturity. She instantly got up from her seat. After picking up her crushed water bottle, she stormed out of the room. 

'Suit yourself," Seolhyun thought, as she rolled her eyes at the petite girl.

 

 

 

Seolhyun spent the rest of the day alone. She was sure that Mina didn't want to talk to her or walk home with her. Besides, she was too busy avoiding Changmin. She had no time for Mina's childish acts.

Seolhyun's mobile phone alert sounded. She had received a message. 'I wonder if it's Mina?' she wished, shutting her eyes tightly. She regretted acting harshly towards Mina, who only wanted to help. Seolhyun interlocked her two hands together as she prayed silently. 

Wrong. It was a message from Changmin. 

 

[Seolhyun's POV]

 

'Hey, are you okay?" the message read. I looked around my bedroom. Aha, perfect object. Scan completed. Reaching out my hands, I grabbed my pillow and buried my face in it. 

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH," I screamed with all my might. Then I lifted my head, catching my breath before screaming again. That felt good. 

The door suddenly flung open. "Seolhyun?! Are you alright?" my mom asked. Her eyes were opened wide. I looked at my mom, surprised. How did she get in here? I thought I locked the door!

"O-oh, mom." I said, trying my best to act natural, "Yeah I'm fine! Just needed something to vent out my frustrations. Haha." Was that too awkward? I shivered at my poor acting skills. 

"Honey, you gave me a scare. Are you sure everything's alright?" my mom questioned me, raising an eyebrow, to which I quickly nodded. She sighed for awhile, before shaking her head, "I just can't figure you out, Seolhyun." I grinned, showing a set of pearly whites. I waited patiently for her to close the door. When I was sure that she had left, I heaved a sigh of relief. What a close call. 

I took my phone and began texting Changmin, "Of course I'm fine! Why do you ask?"

"Oh. Good to hear that. It seemed like you were unwell today, judging from how you avoided me," came a reply. Damn. Was that a sarcastic reply? Did he realise? 

"Nah, I'm perfectly fine. Don't worry," I typed in a reply immediately. And then I waited. And waited. But there wasn't any reply. I yawned. That's enough events for the day. Time to sleep! 

 

[Changmin's POV]

 

 I stared at the text in disbelief, "You're still so bad at lying, Kim Seolhyun." Placing my phone down, I thought about the events that happened today. A thought striked me. Was I too impulsive? Then another. What if this ruins our friendship? And soon, my mind was filled with thoughts and concerns. I groaned. What have I done?

 

 

 

 

Morning finally came. Seolhyun's alarm clock went off. Beep beep. 'It's morning already?" she grumbled. Seolhyun got up from her bed and made her way to the bathroom.

"Seolhyun? Have breakfast before you go," Mrs Kim reminded her daughter, who had just came down from her room. Mrs Kim smiled as she gestured to the seat next to her husband. Seolhyun slipped into the seat and started devouring her food.

 "Goodness! Did you starve yourself last night?" Mrs Kim exclaimed. Seolhyun looked up at her mother and laughed embarrassedly. Mr Kim cracked up at the sight of his daughter.

"Eat slowly, you'll get an indigestion." he spoke. Seolhyun nodded.

After breakfast, Seolhyun bid goodbye to her parents and rushed to school. She had some business to take care of. As soon as she stepped into the school, she ran to find Mina. Seolhyun's face lit up when she spotted Mina, who was near the book shop, purchasing some stationery. 

She slowly made her way towards Mina, careful to not make any sound. She waited for the right moment before making her move. When Mina was about to turn around, she sprung into action, "Boo!" Mina screamed, dropping her stationery onto the ground. Seolhyun gasped. 

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to," Seolhyun apologised and responded quickly by helping Mina to pick up the fallen items. 

"I only wanted to scare you but I didn't think that it would turn out like this-" she went on, sensing the situation. Seolhyun handed the stationery, feeling uneasy. 

Mina giggled, "It's fine. I know you felt sorry about yesterday. I'm sorry too, for being worked up over a stupid water bottle." Seolhyun beamed, taking a step forward. She pulled Mina into a warm, bear hug as she apologised profusely.

"So, are we cool now?" she asked, after the long hug. Mina replied her with a yes.

Seolhyun added, "This is really childish but, best friends forever?" She held out a pinky. Mina burst into laughter, crossing her pinky with Seolhyun's. Later, they linked arms and skipped their way to their classroom.

 

 

"Seolhyun-ah! Wait up!" Yunho called up to Seolhyun, breathing heavily. Seolhyun and Mina turned their heads around to spot a sweating Yunho who was panting, quite a distance away from them. Seolhyun waited for Yunho to catch up so that he could speak properly.

"What's wrong?" she asked, feeling a sense of awkwardness as she watched Yunho silently, her lips formed in a straight line. Yunho looked at Mina, then to Seolhyun again.

"Do you mind?" he asked Mina, who shook her head almost immediately. She waved goodbye to Seolhyun first, leaving the two of them alone to talk. Yunho and Seolhyun walked towards a nearby park and sat down on a bench. Nobody was present at the park. Seolhyun felt the cool breeze touching her face. She nudged Yunho softly.

"What? Oh," Yunho woke up from his day dreaming. "You know, I feel that Changmin is acting strange recently. Don't you think so?"

Seolhyun nodded in agreement, her mind recalling yesterday's incident. Yunho cleared his throat before continuing, "Apparently, he told me about this girl whom he felt attracted to. He mentioned that she was in the same cohort as us."

Seolhyun felt as if there were butterflies in her stomach. "Really?" the words choked in . Wow, she sounded like a complete idiot.

"Yeah. I was wondering who it is, do you know who?"

"I don't know."

"I see. I thought you might know because you two have been friends since young. It's unusual to see Changmin talk to me about girls. He never did so before."

Seolhyun only managed to form into an "o" shape. She felt like telling Yunho all about yesterday, but she thought that it might seem awkward so she just gave it a pass.

"But you know what? I've got a feeling that the girl has something to do with you." Yunho added.

He bit his lips before continuing, "I think you should try to approach him first. Who knows what will happen." Then he stood up from the bench, leaving Seolhyun behind as she became lost in her own thoughts. 

Seolhyun pursed her lips. For the first time in her life, she was nervous at the mention of Changmin. Things wasn't supposed to turn out like this. 

Suddenly, she heard noises from behind. She turned around when she felt a tap on her shoulder.