Chapter 1

One to Ten

Changmin and Seolhyun weren't just ordinary friends. They were best friends. Best with a capital B. Having met at such a young age, they literally know everything about each other. From favourite foods to weird habits. Everything. You name it, they'll know. It wasn't so surprising when they promised to enrol in the same middle school, high school and even college. Like how normal guy-girl friendships are, they fight and argue a lot but the truth is, they can't live without the other. 








'You received a text message! You received a text message!' Seolhyun's mobile phone's message alert startled her. She spun herself around and reached for her mobile phone. Seolhyun carefully read the text message.


Changmin: Seolhyunari! Are you asleep?

 


[A/N: The one in blue indicates that its a text message.]

Seolhyun grinned silently. Without having read the name of the sender, she immediately knew that the text was from none other than Changmin as he was the only one who called her Seolhyunari. Seolhyun thought for a second before replying Changmin.

Seolhyun: Nah, i'm not, Changmin-ah.

'That was fast.' Seolhyun murmured as she heard her message alert once again.


 

Changmin: I'm asking this out of curiosity but.. remember the playground we used to go to as a child? 

 

Seolhyun recalled..





"Let's take turns! Give me a chance to ride the swing too!" the 5 year old Seolhyun whined. She watched Changmin as he ignored her whinings. He was riding the swing happily, so innocently that people might mistake Seolhyun for being the bad one. Changmin stopped riding the swing. He turned around, spotting Seolhyun who was sobbing silently on the bench. 

Panicking, Changmin tried consoling Seolhyun. "Okay, it's your turn now. Don't cry," the same aged friend, Changmin pacified Seolhyun, wiping her tears with the back of his hands. He felt extremely guilty for letting her cry. 

"It's Changminnie's fault. Changmin is a bad boy. Don't cry, Seolhyun. Please?" he looked down, as he ended the sentence with a bit of aegyo.




Seolhyun's smile spreaded across her face as she recalled the memories silently. 'Ah, right! Changmin's text!' she knocked her head softly, self-punishing herself due to her absent mindedness.




Seolhyun: Yeah, i remember. Why?

 

Changmin: Can you meet me there tomorrow, after school?
 



Seolhyun: Okay :)


Seolhyun let out a soft chuckle as she inserted a smiley emoticon at the end of her text. She sighed. Changmin usually sent Seolhyun texts with emoticons but the texts he sent to her that night felt soulless. 'I wonder what's wrong,' Seolhyun wondered, her mind filled with thoughts. She placed her mobile phone onto her desk and prepared to go to bed. She pulled her duvet up and soon drifted off to sleep.








 

 

 

 

[Changmin's POV]

 




The alarm clock went off. I rubbed my eyes groggily and immediately made my way towards the bathroom, dragging my feet along.

As I brushed my teeth, I thought of the text message I sent Seolhyun the previous night, 'It's time to tell her...'

I got myself ready and grabbed my school bag. As soon as I arrived in school, I looked for Seolhyun, only to realise that I came a little too early that day. Minutes later, I spotted a girl walking towards my direction. 'That's Seolhyun right?' I questioned myself, my gaze fixed on the girl. 

"Hi! Arrived early?" Seolhyun asked, in her usual friendly tone. I nodded, flashing a smile.

 

Throughout my classes and breaks, I could only think of the things that would happen later.




[Seolhyun's POV]


"It's strange. Changmin isn't like this," I told my friends.

"Don't you think he has some problems to deal with?" Hyejeong asked. Chanmi agreed, nodding her head along. 

"I think so too. I'll get going now, i've got to meet him. Bye!" I waved towards my friends, remembering that I had an appointment with Changmin after school. 








 


Changmin sat on a bench. Things didn't really change much, judging from the playground's appearance. He took note of the time. He was about to get up from his seat when he spotted Seolhyun running towards his direction.

"What's up?" Seolhyun spoke, panting.

"Actually... i'm moving schools."

"Huh?"

"I'm moving. I have to leave everything. Schools, house, friends." Changmin replied carefully. He was afraid, and he had no idea why. 

"But why?" Seolhyun blurted out. She didn't want Changmin to leave her. Who would be her shoulder to cry on when she suffers heart breaks? Who would be the one that would when Changmin's gone? Who would be there to cheer her up when he's gone? Changmin was capable to do all those stuffs. Changmin can't and won't be replaced. 



"I don't know. But i won't be returning here for a long time." Changmin lied. He knew the reason, but he didn't want to worry Seolhyun.


"I understand. When are you moving? I could help out..," Seolhyun hesitated for awhile before replying. Tears were welling up in her eyes. She smiled a little, hoping that her tears wouldn't fall.


"Tomorrow. I don't really need extra help. But thanks." 


"I'll go now. My mom would nag at me if i'm late," Seolhyun told Changmin, wanting to end the conversation as fast as possible. She turned around and quickened her steps, not wanting to hear any further details from Changmin.













That night, Seolhyun recalled what Changmin told her earlier. 'Surely not. I can't believe this is happening,' a tear rolled down her cheeks. 

'This is a dream. Seolhyun-ah, don't worry. This is a dream. It's not real. Tomorrow morning, you'll find Changmin. He'll be there. He will... right?' Seolhyun lied to herself. She didn't want to face the truth. The truth hurts her heart awfully. 

She spent her night thinking and recalling her childhood memories with Changmin. She laughed, she cried. She did everything to stop her from realising the truth. She can't let Changmin go. She just can't.




The birds were chirping to a sweet melody. The sun rays reflected on Seolhyun's desk mirror. Seolhyun woke up, still in a daze. She thought of what happened yesterday. Her stomach did flip-flops, causing her to feel squeazy. 'No, Seolhyun. You must move on. Fighting!' she nodded, encouraging herself as she clenched her fist tightly.






 



GUYS, IM ALIVE!!!

I decided to correct my grammar and changed a few things in this story, I hope yall wouldnt mind! Thanks for waiting! Do comment.

allstarsparadise