Sandara's Not-So-Successful Plan

Love Pact

 

 

 

 

“You’re kidding, right?” Dara said, smiling to his father.

 

 

 

 

 

 

When she saw her father remained seated seriously on the chair, the smile she wore turned into a mocking laugh.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Cut it out! Fine, it’s funny.” She raised her two hands in the air in surrender. But he remained silent, and that panics her.

 

 

 

 

 

“Are you really serious, appa?” her eyes widen while staring at his father’s still serious face. Oh god! This is serious! She doesn’t know whether she would laugh or she would cry.

 

 

 

 

 

“Dara, calm down and sit—“

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“No, I will not sit down, Appa!” she shouted, then paced angrily around their living room. “Let me get this straight. You want me to get married to someone I haven’t met yet in my entire life?! That’s hilarious!” Had her father gone senile? She might as well call their doctor to check if his father’s mind is still on the right track.

 

 

 

 

 

“That’s not true, dear. You were playmates before you e year old—“

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Oh, that’s great. That makes him my first friend then,” she sarcastically commented.

 

 

 

 

 

 

He heaved a sigh and she creased her forehead in annoyance. Never did her father got loss for words—may it be a case, the weather or the latest cellphone model.

 

 

 

 

She stopped pacing around and asked, “What’s wrong, appa?” Concern was clearly etched on her face.

 

 

 

 

 

“Dara, you still haven’t seen him yet. Why not give it a chance?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara smiled despite herself. She sighed; it’s good that her father is okay.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Slowly, she kneeled in front and held her father’s hand. It had been a long day and she was tired from working all day trying to solve case after case. She just doesn’t have that much energy to argue with her father so she dropped the game and went straight to the point.

 

 

 

 

 

“Appa, I don’t what came into you and just decided to come up with something like this. But,” and she looked at him straight in the eyes, “there’s no way I’m going to marry this guy. I don’t know him, I don’t feel something towards him, and he’s probably dating someone else and I also happen to like someone else…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

God, she really can’t believe this is happening. Her father had always been on the side of angels and justice. She can’t understand, how could this same man wanted such an injustice to his only child?

 

 

 

 

 

“It’s not fair, appa.” She said, trying to hide her shaking voice. “It’s not right to force people to do things they don’t want to do, especially if it will affect their lives so much. You were the one who taught me all of that,” she said heatedly.

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry, Dara. This is your mother’s dying wish, to get you married to her best friend’s son. Jiyong’s mother and your mother, they were inseparable. This is their wish. I didn’t tell you this before because I wanted to spare you for as long as I can. But I have to do this, or else I might not have the face if I’ll ever see your mother again in heaven.” Her father closed his eyes and he looked really tired.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She felt panic rising in her chest. Last month, his father suffered from a heart attack and he slightly got weak since then. Maybe he’s feeling that his time is getting nearer that’s why he wanted to do her wife’s last wish.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You okay, appa? Wait here, I’ll just make a call to Dr. Lee,” she said, reaching for the phone in the desk.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m okay, dear.” And he pulled her hand gently. “I know it’s not right, but Dara…” She could not believe her eyes; her father was close to tears. “I can’t break my promise to your mom. I am deeply sorry.” And she did not dare say another word. “I’ve never asked you for anything before, have I, Dara?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

She closed her eyes and tried to absorb what was happening. It’s true. Never did her father asked her for anything. Since her mother died twenty years ago, her father became her mother and father.

 

 

 

He did everything for her, gave her everything she wanted and loved her with all of his heart. He did not have any vices other than helping people. He had this superman syndrome, like he wanted to save the whole mankind. He would never harm anyone, especially not his Dara.

 

 

 

 

She opened her eyes and stared at him. She almost didn’t recognize the person she sees in front of her. There’s her Superman, head down and shoulders slumped.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You can’t do this to me, Appa.” Dara was feeling helpless.

 

 

 

 

 

“Dara, please.” If only the man in front of her was the man she knew that was confident and brave, she would stay up all night arguing with him. But the image of her old and frail-looking father was breaking her heart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Don’t you dare! Don’t even think about it, Sandara. This is your life!’ her mind shouted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Yes, this is my life, but he is my father. And the truth is, he is my life.’ Her heart answered.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’ll think about it, Appa.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You will, dear?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’ll THINK about it.” She answered dejectedly.

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

 

 

‘TIP #1: Look like an old maid. Try to look as unattractive as you can. More often than not, guys don’t like girls that look like an ahjumma. I know, for sure you don’t want a guy looking like an ahjussi.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

That was the tip that Dara read in a magazine. It was entitled, ‘How to Turn a Guy Off’. That’s why, she picked a long black skirt and a simple three-fourths blouse to wear on that fateful Saturday night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She also tied up her long brown hair into an old maid’s bun, put on a simple make-up and then finally went out of the house.

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

 

 

 

They were ten minutes early than the said time in the hotel that the Kwons picked. If she was to choose, she’ll rather pick a cheaper restaurant. She felt disgusted just by sitting there. She knows that they will

spend on the expensive foods; wasting thousands just for a meal while other families take what’s in front of them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She knew that her father was thinking the same. He looked very uncomfortable just sitting there, feeling out of place as she was.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara heaved a sigh. She thought that her father was really serious in granting the last wish of her mother.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“They’re late,” Dara said trying to sound annoyed after twenty-five minutes of waiting, but the truth is she was wishing that somehow the Kwons would not arrive at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yes, Dara, but they’re here now.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She stiffened, and then shot her eyes at the doorway. Her eyes were greeted by two men, walking towards them looking like gods from Olympus who just took a day off to live the lives of mortals.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Maybe at a different situation, she would like to be friends with the older Kwon. She saw that like her father he was also tall and had an easy smile. Too bad, she was determined to hate him—him and his son.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The younger guy beside him was lean but toned, deep set eyes and perfect complexion…She had to admit he was quite a looker. Well okay, that was an understatement, he was actually devilishly handsome.

 

 

 

 

 

But so what? She knows that there are much more important than the physical attributes of a person.

 

 

 

 

 

 

She didn’t notice that she was looking at him for quite a while now. He caught her gaze then surveyed her from her brown hair to her one-inch-heeled boots. After that, he smirked.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara’s eyes widened. She doesn’t know whether to be happy or to be annoyed. But the better side of her took control.

 

 

 

 

 

‘Easy’ she thought. ‘This is exactly what you want, to disgust him and to send him running off’.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Mr. Park, it’s good to see you again,” the older Kwon greeted her father when they came closer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Her father smiled and extended his hand to offer a hand shake to the two men who had just arrived. “Yes, indeed, I’m very happy that the two of you have finally returned.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Mr. Park, we deserve more than a handshake.” And he gave a short manly hug to her father. Then after, he took notice of her. “Well, this must be your Dara.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Who else would it be?’ she wanted to snap, but instead she extended her hand for him to handshake.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yes, Sir, I’m Dara, Park Sandara.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

And he took her extended hand, “Has anybody told you that you look exactly like your mother?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Before, she would feel happy and proud hearing that but ever since she knew that her mother had engaged her to someone she barely knew, she felt a sudden hostility towards her. “So they say, Mr. Kwon.” She said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“That’s too formal. Just call me ‘Uncle’ for the time being while you two haven’t tied the knot yet,” he said, smiling.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It felt like she wanted to go ballistic at the same moment. It was as if she wanted to turn the tables and just walk away from where she is at the moment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m very pleased to meet you, Mr. Kwon, Sandara,” Jiyong greeted with a smile. But that smile didn’t reach his eyes, she noted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Shall we take our seats?” said Mr. Park

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And that was her cue. The moment she sat down, she carried out her plan right away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Tip #2: This doesn’t apply to all males, but more often than not, guys don’t want girls who talks about anything and everything under the sun.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And if that’s the case, it was her advantage.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So what shall we have—“

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara quickly cut off her father. “I suggest we skip the meat, Appa, and settle with vegetables salads,” she said as she scanned the menu then she met Mr. Kwon’s gaze directly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Do you know, Uncle, how many people all over the world die of heart attack, high blood pressure and arteriosclerosis all of which are associated with eating cholesterol-rich diet such as meat?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“No, dear. I’m afraid I don’t.” the older Kwon carefully answered.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Three people in every four minutes die of heart attack. One of the primary cause of deaths is high blood pressure for 277,000 Americans, while cases of arteriosclerosis are reported to increase each year. It’s really scary to think what a piece of meat can do to your system. My colleagues said I don’t have to worry about it since I’m still young, but I said no. Heart problems can start as early as two years old. I think meat should be probably banned in our country and start promoting the benefits of eating vegetables. Come to think of it, we don’t get that much nutrients from meat. Yes, a hundred gram intake of meat can provide 25% of recommended daily intake of protein, 36% of iron and B vitamins, but it only gives about 9% of energy. So yeah, maybe it is a good source of protein which yields amino acids. And since our body cannot produce eight essential amino acids, we need to cling onto protein foods. Tofu, for one, is high in protein. What’s more is that it’s low in salt and calories and it’s also cholesterol-free! As for vitamin B, well, we’ve got oatmeal, peanuts, corns, tomatoes, fresh vegetables. For iron, go out under the sun from 7:00-9:00 a.m, then you’ll get iron, for free! Anyway, meat’s taste is really not that good, Uncle. Frankly, I hate the taste of it. Other than that, I wonder about the poor animal that has to be slaughtered just for humans to eat. Have you seen a pig being slaughtered, Uncle? Poor thing. If you only saw them in that state, you would agree with me and you won’t even taste pork or any other meat for that matter. So shall we order a meat-free meal then?” she said, grinning.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everybody was silent, indicating that they are very surprised. She took a quick glance at Jiyong and she almost laugh, seeing the look on his face. He was staring at her like she is an alien from another world.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Well, my child,” the older Kwon spoke. He was smiling at her and there seemed to be awe in his eyes. “You really look like your mother but you think just like your father.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He turned his gaze to his old friend. “Just like you, Park. She has opinion for everything under the sun, eh?” and again turn his eyes back at the lady beside her, “By the way, Dara, I am also a vegetarian.” And he smiled at her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara wanted to scream. She felt like all of her efforts just went into the trash bin. . For many hours, she did not stop memorizing everything in her speech earlier, and then in the end…nothing happened?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She picks up the glass in front of her and drank a lot of water to calm her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Calm down, Dara’ she thought. ‘The war is just starting. For sure, later they will get bored and annoyed with you.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And all throughout the dinner, she never stopped from talking. Even though some doesn’t even make sense, she didn’t care. She never let them talk for more than two sentences.

 

 

 

 

 

 

But to her dismay, seems like the older Kwon likes her talkativeness. And the younger one, he remained silent all throughout the dinner. But there are times she would catch him stifling his laugh.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The dinner finally came to an end as they finished their dinner. Her dad needed to take a call while her Uncle Kwon excused himself to the rest room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

When finally both of them are the only ones left, Jiyong cannot stifle his laugh anymore and let it escape, surprising her.

 

 

 

 

 

“What’s so funny?” Dara asked icily. She is getting annoyed as the seconds pass. Everything is not going according to her plans.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You, who else would it be?” Jiyong answered, smiling.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“And what’s funny about me?” she retorted back, straight-faced.

 

 

 

 

 

 

And he burst into laughter again. “So, your true colors are finally showing. Where’s the sweet and polite Sandara who talked endlessly about almost everything a while ago? Got tired of pretending?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was Dara’s turn to smile, combined with a deathly glare on him. “And where’s the silent and straight Jiyong a while ago? What happened to you that made you talk so suddenly?” his smile faded while hers got bigger.

 

 

 

 

 

 

He paused then stared at her for a long time before saying, “It’s obvious that you’re doing everything to sabotage this night but it turns out you…failed. You’re not doing your assignment diligently.” She raised her hand, wanting to get back at him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hold it, don’t cut me off. You had your endless talk earlier, so now you listen to me. Did you know that you just made the situation worse? My father is pretty old-fashioned, but he really looks up to women who are brave and smart. Tonight, you did everything to look very conservative in your clothes, and to look smart in the way you talk. You know what it means? You couldn’t have been more perfect for my father even if you tried.” And he sarcastically smiled.

 

 

 

 

 

She didn’t want to admit it, but it’s true.

 

 

 

 

 

 

She forced herself to be reasonable. “So what do you suggest?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I suggest you tell your father, that you would rather jump from a fifty-storey building rather than marry me,”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara swears if murder is not a crime, then this man in front of her would be dead by now. “Why does it have to be me? Why don’t you do it instead?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I can’t. For sure my father would have another heart attack. I can’t insist what I want knowing that it will break that stupid pact.” He said simply.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So it’s okay that my father will get mad and have another heart attack also? Is that it?” she spat.

 

 

 

 

 

“I don’t care.” He just shrugged his shoulders. “You should be the one to ruin the engagement.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara was sure her face was beet red. “What if I don’t want?” she challenged.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He smiled charmingly. “Trust me, you wouldn't want to stay with me."