Chapter 3

Your Relevance

 

Da Eun's POV

I saw Chunji's figure at the table of the cafe. The cafe where we first met.

He smiled when I sat down.

“Sorry again.” I apologized.

He shook his head. “It's okay. I know your pretty little head always gets carried away with studying.”

I nodded and took out the necklace he had gotten me.

“Thanks for this again oppa.” I said and smiled.

“Do you like it?”

“I love it.”

“Here, let me put it on for you.” he stood up and walked behind me. I gave him the necklace and I felt the cold chain come to my warm skin.

“Beautiful.” he smiled and sat back down. “Wear it when you miss me.”

“Then I guess I'll have to wear it all the time then.” [a/n that was so cheesy. I can't believe I just wrote that.]

 

As soon as I turned into the gates to my house, I saw my dad was waiting for me at the door. I jumped. He normally doesn't come home til late. I know how dedicated he was to his work to put this beautiful house over our heads. He looked pissed. I hesitantly got out.

“What are you doing home so early?” I asked.

“I can't come home early on my daughters birthday?”

I bit my lip.

“Where were you? You know it's late right?”

“It's only 6:30.”

“Yeah, you should be studying. How do you expect to be a doctor while running around playing?”

“I wasn't playing!”

“Who were you with? A boy?”

I looked down.

“Who was it?!” he yelled.

“Ch-chunji oppa.”

“Aish...”

“I thought you liked him.”

“I don't like him. I just hate him less than all of your other friends.”

I sighed. This is why I can't have a boyfriend, or friends for that matter. He thinks they're all a bad influence. It's not they all come from bad families. They're all just as smart and rich as we are. He's just always so paranoid. But what my father says goes.

“I'll be going now.” I bowed to him and walked into the house.

“Come down at 7:30. I'm taking you out to dinner.”

“De.”

 

Sungyeol's POV

It has been two days since my mom was checked into the hospital. She still hasn't woken up. The boys have been by my side every minute. But coming and going because of work. Woohyun managed to to talk my boss and explain to him about my situation. We didn't have cellphones after all.

Then her eyes fluttered open. She turned to me.

“Sungyeol.” she croaked.

I sat up. “Omma. How are you?” I was alone. Dongwoo and Sunggyu were getting food. The rest were at work.

“I have something to say.”

“Shh, rest. You'll be back soon enough when you rest.”

“You'll be living with your father.” she said.

At the word 'father' I dropped the glass of water that I was drinking. It shattered to the ground.

“What father? I don't have one.”

She shook her head. “I talked with him after 15 years. He's been looking for us too.”

“What?! You talked with him after he abandoned us? How could you?”

“I need someone to look after my baby when I'm gone.” she said, my cheek.

Tears fell down my cheeks.

“Don't say that.”

“Sungyeol-ah, I love you.” she said. I took her hand in mine.

“I love you too.”

“Promise me you'll live with him? I know you'll be in good hands there.”

“I can't promise you that because I'm living with you.”

 

Then she started to cough blood.

“Omma, gwenchana?!”

It kept coming.

“Omma!”

I pressed the Nurse Call button rapidly.

The monitor made a long beep.

“Andwae...” I whispered looking up at it. All it was was a straight line.

I screamed. “Omma! You can't leave me!!”

Just then the nurses ran in and pushed me out of the room.

“Omma!” I screamed.

I leaned on the wall and slid down. I could hear the beeping sound from outside. I was hoping with my heart and soul that the beeping would return to the normal rhythmic pattern. It didn't. I cried.

Dongwoo and Sunggyu came running to me.

“What happened?” Dongwoo asked, dropping the bag of food..

I didn't answer.

“Sungyeol-ah, answer!” Sunggyu screamed.

“She's gone...” I whispered.

No one knew her body except for herself.

 

A driver was sent to my house. I refused to go see him. My dad I mean. I haven't seen him since I was 4, so I hardly remember him. I stayed at Sunggyu's house for the time being. The driver would be waiting in front of the house every single day. Can't he just leave?

The hospital had called Sunggyu's house and asked me to go see them. I went and the nurse was talking to me about the bill. $6,890 I sighed. Where the hell was I going to get all that kind of money?

“There are programs that can help you.” the nurse said.

“Can you re-check the price or something? There's no way it was that much for my mom to stay here for two days.” I pleaded.

She looked at me with sad eyes before nodding and typing on her computer.

“Wait.” she suddenly said.

I sat up. “What?”

“It seems like someone has already paid the fee for you this morning. You are free to go.” she smiled, stood up and bowed. “Sorry for the misunderstanding.”

I tilted my head.

“Can I have the name of the person?” I asked her.

“I'm sorry, I can't give that type of information away.”

“Come on. I need to know who I should thank.”

She pursed her lips in thought before leaning over and whispering in my ear.

“A person by the name of Lee Chanhee.”

 

=========

BYE BYE. *waves* see you all in a couple of days! :)

don't miss me too much. hehe. <3