Final

Red Velvet Cake

It was February 14th and the Valentine's Café was booming with business.

Stephanie was fond of visiting this particular café as she loved the wonderful creations they made. She often craved the freshly whipped sweet cream, melt-in-the-mouth meringues, bittersweet chocolate fudge cake, and more of these delightful sweets.

Now, on Valentine's day, the café would always be crowded with people. Those who could even squeeze into the queue bought as many treats as possible before they ran out. In order to prepare for this day, the café would close down 2 days before so they could make the hundreds of treats needed to feed the growing crowd of people. Despite the café having two stores worth of space, they would always be filled. After all, the place had a warm feeling, and it was originally meant for couples, not to mention the tantalizing desserts offered.

The owner of the café was Jaeyoung, Stephanie's best friend who she often called 'mother' due to her motherly ways. She would surprise Stephanie once in a while with a treat, often claiming that Stephanie was the official taste tester. Anything they wanted to put up for sale was always tested by her and there never failed to be a good response. The chéfs always made the best desserts.

Also, on Valentine's Day, they never had enough kitchen staff around, so Jaeyoung would advertise for single people who were polite and just wanted to have a day of work experience, as long as they finished middle school. Yes, the café owner was just that random. The amount they were paid was quite a bit and many people tried out for the position, and were interviewed. Stephanie was never allowed to work in the café.

One of the interviewees was a young man named Nam Woohyun. He was two years older than Stephanie and was very charming. Combined with the good looks that he possessed, he was a perfect client for the job, and it was a possibility that he could be hired permanently.

He along with his 5 friends were accepted and they took up the job with pride.

Coincidentally, Stephanie came to the café that day, and she had a seat reserved just for her on the second floor. She loved to look out the windows and watch the couples walk by. She was a er for love after all.

As she sat down, she was greeted by Woohyun, and was instantly lovestruck.

He as handed her a menu, the tips of Stephanie's delicate small fingers touched Woohyun's warm ones, and they both felt a spark. 

She looked at the menu quickly in order to hide her embarrassment and ordered according to her craving, an iced chocolate with a slice Red Velvet cake, which was a big hit with couples.

Woohyun smiled at her as he ran back to the kitchen to tell the chéfs what to prepare. She watched him run, admiring his muscular back.

Jaeyoung, who was looking around calmly, saw the adorable interaction between the two and felt that it was necessary to fire her arrows once more. As the owner of the café well known for it's matchmaking, she had to do something for her own ttal.

She called Woohyun over and asked him to deliver the iced chocolate and cake to Stephanie, who was patiently waiting while texting her friend. Woohyun flushed and ran to give her the cake. In that moment, Jaeyoung knew that he had fallen for her, if not, had some sort of feelings for her. She was a pretty girl with good moral values and attitude, so it was understandable that he would like her, even though he only looked at her pretty face.

Thinking about her own love story, she chuckled and went off to help the 6 boys who were running around, busy with orders.

Stephanie looked up from her phone to see the handsome face of Woohyun staring back at her. His cheeks looked slightly red, as if he was embarrassed. She pushed the thought away, not realising he had already fallen for her in the few seconds they had known each other.

She flashed him a sweet grin, exposing a slight view of her pearly white teeth. He fell for her even more, and before she could establish a conversation with him, he had run away, as he was too embarrassed to even look at her.

Jaeyoung had stopped serving again, and she noticed Woohyun's behaviour and chuckled. She called him over and asked him to sit with Stephanie and eat some cake. "You've been working too hard today Woohyun-ah, just take a rest and eat some cake. The others will take turns to rest as well." she said, pushing him in Stephanie's direction.

He sighed as he walked over and sat down opposite her. "Hey, Jaeyoung asked me to sit here and eat with you, is that alright?" he asked softly. Stephanie's heart dropped a little, knowing he only came to eat with her because Jaeyoung said so. Nevertheless, she smiled sweetly at him and responded, "Yes, of course! Why don't you go pick up a drink and some cake and then eat together with me?" Woohyun blushed at her cute voice and nodded cutely in response.

When he returned, he saw her chuckling to herself and asked, his voice laced with a hint of confusion, "What's so funny?" She laughed and responded, "The way you turn red and run off is very cute!" Seeing how he blushed once again, she laughed angelically, before continuing, "I don't even know your name! I'm Stephanie, and you are?" "Nam Woohyun at your service~" he cooed, and her face broke out into a grin. "Cool name! So, do you like the desserts here?"

That was how the conversation started and it went on endlessly into the night as the amount of customers slowly dwindled. His 5 friends continued working and left the two alone, despite him not working much.

As midnight slowly drew closer, Woohyun was ordered to walk her home and then return back to the café for a debrief. As the two friends parted, Stephanie's heart sank deeper with each step he took further away from her, knowing she would never see him again. Suddenly the sweet taste in transformed into one of a bittersweet nature. She was happy to meet him, but disappointed that he would most likely never appear in her life again. She didn't even have his number.

The very next day when she came back to the café, she saw a muscular back, very similar to the one she had seen walk away from her the day before. She felt her heart race as her palms went sweaty. The second he turned around, he saw her, and a grin lit up his face. He walked over to her and gave a her a hug.

"Morning Stephanie~ did you rest well?" he tilted his head cutely. She smiled in response and took his outstreched hand as he escorted her to her usual table.

Jaeyoung chuckled at the difference of the interaction compared to the previous day. She turned to the five figures behind her, who were laughing and gave them a thumbs up. The oldest of the five smiled at her and returned the gesture.

Woohyun was not going to be single much longer, Jaeyoung predicted. Stephanie recieved countless confessions and he was sure to find out. Once he did, he would definitely confess and never let her go.

Jaeyoung's prediction came true, and within a week, Woohyun informed her of the decision and the result.

Who knew a café and a slice of cake or two could bring two single people together in such a short time?

Who knew that the two would end up together for the rest of their lives?

The result of the decision?

Positive.

[A/N: I realised it might be a bit confusing as to why Woohyun's FIVE friends were hired. Simply because Hoya's not going to work at the café. He's the owner's boyfriend anyway~ ]