Park Bench

Beautiful Stranger

 

Krystal Jung walked through the city, the wind tugging at her hair and her clothing. It nipped at her nose, making her shiver and hug herself as she made her way through crowds on the sidewalk. She should be in bed right now, catching up on sleep! Hurriedly she dismissed that idea. This was her first day off in months, and she didn't want to be cooped up inside. She shivered again, this time at the thought of her endless schedule ahead of her.

She encountered a bench on the side. Another guy was sitting there too, huddled in his thick clothing, but there was enough space for her. As she sat down, she snuck another peek at her neighbor. His facial features were foreign, but his stature made no implication that he was out of place. Perhaps his parents were immigrants. His eyes angled intricately...she quickly turned away. Staring, in any culture, was rude.

She opened her book in anticipation for a peaceful morning, her phone in her hand just in case. A minute later, she fell asleep.

*

Son Dongwoon let questions run through his head. What was he doing with his life? Did he really want to give up everything to be a singer? He was exhausted, both physically and mentally. Even though he was pushing himself to the limit every time, he feared it would never be enough.

Never. He shuddered at the word. What could he do if he failed?

THUMP. Something hit his left shoulder. He turned to find a girl leaning on him, her eyes closed.

“Hey.” She didn’t move. He waved his hand in front of her face and got no response. “Hello?” He shook her gently, but she was out like a boulder.

He sighed. Great, he was a pillow for some stranger. He studied her face. She looked like an ordinary Korean girl with good genes, maybe about thirteen or fourteen years old. She was beautiful, but there wasn’t anything that made her stand out. Shouldn’t she be in school?

The screen of her phone lit up. Dongwoon hesitated, but leaned forward to read it.

“Trainees,” the text read. “Enjoy your day off. Be back in the dorms by 8 pm.”

So she was a trainee. Dongwoon looked at her again, this time with respect. She seemed so young, so tiny, yet she was going through the same arduous regime he was going through. No wonder she seemed to be a death-like state while she was asleep. She must be talented, although was it even legal to be a trainee this young? He racked images through his mind, but nothing came up. He was sure she wasn't in Cube Entertainment...

The wind fluttered the pages of her book underneath her hand. A note flew out and landed in Dongwoon’s lap. He picked it up, being careful to not disturb his neighbor.

“Dear Krystal,

You are such a great sister. You didn’t have to give me a present for my birthday, especially since I’m the one who’s making the big bucks. The pearls were perfect for my Legally Blonde role.

Anyway, I know you don’t have a lot of down time as a trainee, but sometimes you just need to relax and forget the world around you. I loved this book for that reason. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and absorb strength from it.

Love,

Jessica.”

Jessica. Legally Blonde. Dongwoon’s mind raced. Was this girl SNSD’s Jessica’s sister? His mind was blown. No wonder she was trainee-their family must be talented. Talented and beautiful.

He smiled. For some reason, he was warming up to this girl-Krystal, he told himself-even though they hadn’t spoken a single word to each other.

The warm sunlight made it tempting for him to close his eyes…

*

Her body felt heavy, stationary. How long was she asleep? Krystal started to stir, her mind becoming aware of the world around her. Was that a warm presence next to her?

She tried to open her eyes, but her eyelids drooped, protesting her order for them to move.  She blinked slowly, getting used to the bright light around her. She turned to see the exquisite face of the guy next to her, his eyes closed. His breathing was slow, revealing that her was dormant. Her back felt warm, supported, and she discovered he had wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

Did she fall asleep on him? Her cheeks grew warm. Oh how embarrassing it would be for him to wake-

He opened his chocolate colored eyes, light shining on his face. He smiled. “Hello, beautiful stranger.”

[A/N] Thanks Insane Desire for the amazing poster!

The sad thing is that I've gotten attached to the one I made, even though it's not put together as well. -.- I was going to change everything, including the background, but when I saw this again I was like, "O.O NO I'M NOT CHANGING IT."

-.- I was thinking of autumn instead of spring in the story...

oh well. Flowers to make your day people.