CHAPTER 11: BIRTHDAY SURPRISE

Silver City College

 

Donghae was in a very packed schedule during his Chemistry Camp and at the same time was very happy with the activities. He even forgot that on the second day of Chemistry Camp was his birthday. He was really tired when he came back from the Chemistry Camp that he was literally ignoring everything including his roommates’ greetings. He threw his bags and folders and without changing his attires at all, he threw his own body onto his bed and in the blink of an eye, he fell asleep just like that. He even snored loudly due to tiredness and he didn’t wake up until it was dinner time.

      Hyukjae, Kyuhyun and Sungmin together with one of Donghae’s classmate, Ryeowook, discussed something just outside of their room. They had bought Donghae a birthday cake, strawberry cheesecake to be exact. They kept that cake in Ryeowook’s room at third floor and asked Ryeowook to hide the cake at any costs and never let Donghae see it before the ‘surprise mission’. Hyukjae started discussing their plans and asked Kyuhyun to wake Donghae up and take him to the café to buy dinner. At the same time, when Kyuhyun and Donghae were gone to the café, Sungmin and Hyukjae will bring that cake to their room.

      So, Sungmin and Hyukjae hid at Ryeowook’s room first and Kyuhyun began to enter their room. He saw Donghae who was still fully asleep and didn’t move an inch. Donghae snored loudly and looked very tired. Kyuhyun pitied him but the plan has to go on.

      “Donghae, wake up. Its night already, you’ve been sleeping for 6 hours non-stop. Donghae, wake up.” Kyuhyun softly moved Donghae’s shoulders but no reaction from Donghae. “Donghaeeeeeeeeee!!!” Kyuhyun had no choice but to wake Donghae up aggressively by pulling both of Donghae’s hands and sat him down on his bed. Donghae’s eyes were still closed due to sleepiness but he was successfully woken up.

      “Donghae, aren’t you hungry?” asked Kyuhyun and that question kind of wakes Donghae up more. Donghae just realized he hadn’t had his lunch yet and now its dinner time already and he was starving to death. He opened his eyes and saw Kyuhyun in front of him, beaming widely. He nodded his head in agreement because he was really hungry. “Hmm…” that was all Donghae could reply. Kyuhyun grabbed both of Donghae’s hands again and pulled him out from his bed and stood him up to the floor. “Okay, Donghae. You go shower first. Then, we’ll go get something to eat at café okay. I’ll wait for you.”

      Donghae nodded and he took his towel and went to the bathroom. He didn’t even realize that Hyukjae and Sungmin weren’t there. When Kyuhyun made sure that Donghae was in the bathroom already, he took his phone and started dialing Hyukjae’s phone number. “Hyukjae, Donghae is now showering. In a few minutes we will take off to the café. At that time, I’ll send you guys text message okay.” Even though there was nobody but Kyuhyun in the room, he literally whispering while calling Hyukjae because he was afraid that Donghae might pop in front of the door. Hyukjae got the message and replied, “Okay, let us know when you guys already going to the café. We are preparing for the cake and other food and drinks. Make sure he didn’t know anything okay.”

      After a few moments, Donghae finished showering and entered his room. He was still a little bit sleepy and blurry but he just grabbed whatever shirt he found in his closet and wore it. Kyuhyun bit his lips due to his nervousness and he was afraid this plan would fail. Donghae finished changing his clothes and was about to get ready to go to café when he saw Kyuhyun still wandering around the room looking worried.

      “Kyuhyun, why are you like this? Let’s go.” Kyuhyun was snapped back to reality and he stuttered. “Ah… oh… yes, oh, let’s go.” Donghae frowned at Kyuhyun but he didn’t think of anything weird. While they were walking to the café, Kyuhyun was secretly sending text message to Hyukjae to indicate their plans.

To: SCC Roommate_Blondie

We arte ion ethe eway to café please prreoceed with oru plans

      “What are you doing?” asked Donghae to Kyuhyun whom was texting with his phone on his sweater’s pocket. Kyuhyun was stunned and immediately push the send button before he pulled his own hand from the pocket. “Err… nothing. You’re hungry right?? What should we eat??” asked Kyuhyun, trying to change the topic. They arrived at the café and took a seat at a table.

      Donghae just realized that Sungmin and Hyukjae weren’t there so he looked at Kyuhyun. “Where are Sungmin and Hyukkie?” asked Donghae. “Huh? Well… erm… they’re at the library. Yes, library!” convinced Kyuhyun at Donghae. “On Sunday?” asked Donghae feeling a bit confused. “Yeah… well, what do you want to eat? Let me order for you, wait okay!”

      Before Donghae could even mention what he really wanted to eat, Kyuhyun already went away to the counter and left Donghae alone in some sorts of confusion. Kyuhyun peeped from the counter and when he was sure Donghae wasn’t looking at his direction, he took his phone and started calling Hyukjae.

      “Hyukjae, we are now at the café. You guys can go to our room now! Let me extend some time here, I really have no idea what to do!” Kyuhyun was whispering while talking to Hyukjae. Then he heard another voice, perhaps Sungmin’s voice talking behind, “Ryeowook, take that cake along come on!” Hyukjae then replied to Kyuhyun, “Okay, we got your message. Even though your text before sounded like some broken French. We’re moving now!”

      Kyuhyun then hung up and looked at Donghae’s direction. Donghae looked like he wasn’t suspecting anything at the moment. Maybe he was still recovering from fatigue and exhausted. Kyuhyun came to Donghae and sat in front of him. “What did you order? I’m so damn hungry right now I could eat a horse.” Kyuhyun hesitated for a while before he gave the excuse. “You know Donghae, we shouldn’t really eat here. Tonight’s menu is not tempting at all. Let’s go to the other café, shall we??” Donghae rolled his eyes. ‘What the hell did Cho Kyuhyun just said? I am damn starving I don’t care if it’s not delicious at all!’ Donghae have the urge to shout everything that came to his mind but he really had no energy at all. Instead, he just agreed to Kyuhyun’s suggestion and followed him.

      Another text message was coming and Kyuhyun was secretly reading it when Donghae wasn’t looking at his direction.

To: Gamefreakyuhyun_SilverCity

Everythings ready.

      Kyuhyun cleared his throat for a couple of times and then he stopped Donghae. “Donghae, I forgot my wallet. Let’s go back to our room.” ‘Are you kidding me?? I am freaking hungry right now! Don’t ever mess with me!!!’ “Really? Okay then.” Again, Donghae followed whatever Kyuhyun said because he was too tired to argue and only cursing inside his mind. Kyuhyun was relieved because Donghae didn’t seem to suspect anything.

      When they arrived right in front of their room, Kyuhyun was the first to speak. “Could you open the door?” Donghae scratched his head several times and opened the door but he couldn’t really process the next thing that was happening.

      Their room was dark as soon as Donghae opened the door and a loud song was heard. Donghae was so surprised. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LEE DONGHAE~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU~~~” The light went on and there stood in front of Donghae was Sungmin who was recording the whole thing with his phone, Ryeowook who was holding a birthday cake written ‘18th Lee Donghae’, and then there was Hyukjae who stood in front of him, beaming widely, revealing his gummy smile for the first time. Donghae was speechless. He wasn’t expecting this at all. Suddenly and unexpectedly, Hyukjae went towards Donghae and gave him a peck of kiss on his left cheek. “Happy 18th birthday, Hae.” Donghae was stunned and froze at his spot. Kyuhyun, Sungmin and Ryeowook were like, ‘That wasn’t in our plan, eh?’