Please...

With Only 31 More Days to Live

Jieun POV

RING RING  I quickly put down my book and snatched my phone.  

“Yeoboseyeo? Yoona unnie! What’s up?” Although Yoona is my personal maid, we treat each other like sisters. Before she could reply, I began bombarding her with questions “Where are you? Are you okay? Nothing bad happened right? Aigoo unnie, I missed you so much! When are you coming back? Wh-”

“YAH! LEE JI EUN! Don’t worry, I’m okay.” Yoona interrupted

“Aigoo, that’s such a relief.” I slumped down in my chair

“ I’ve only been gone for 20 minutes and you’re already treating me like a boyfriend who is coming home from the military,” Yoona replied as she lightly chuckled. “Anyways, I have great news!......... I JUST GOT A BOYFRIEND! KYAAA!!!!”

I could almost see her grin as she thought about her boyfriend. I wanted to have the same emotion but I felt so sad and worried. I don’t want to lose her like how I lost my sister.

 

 

-Flashback-

The seven-year old me cheerfully sat on the edge the kitchen countertop, excitedly kicking my legs. I attentively watched my sister bake and decorate a cake to give to her boyfriend as a birthday present.

 “Eunnie, wait for me at home okay? I’m going to go to my boyfriend’s house to surprise him now. Wish me luck!” My sister beamed as she finished wrapping the present.

“Mmmh. Good luck! I’ll wait for you!” I replied, happy for my sister.

My sister skipped out the door with the widest smile, eager to please her boyfriend with this present.

Little did I know that it would be the last time she smiled and the last time she walked through that door.

-End of flashback-

 

 

I felt something wet rolling down the side of my cheek. “Wow, Lee Ji Eun, you didn’t even notice yourself crying? Aishh! Quit crying and be strong!” I mentally scolded myself.

 “Yeoboseyeo? Yeoboseyeo? YA LEE JI EUN!” Yoona shouted to gain my attention.

 “Mmh…I-I’m here.” I managed to say

“Did you even hear what I just said? You said you missed me but you don’t even listen to me,” Yoona said as she rolled her eyes, unaware of the change in tone in my voice. I hate showing people my weak side, even if it is my best friend.

“No, I wasn’t paying attention, I’m sorry.”

“Well, my boyfriend decided to throw a party as a celebration for our new relationship. He told me that I could invite my friends. I woul--”

“Yoona,” I interrupted “You know my parents would never let me go to any parties without their supervision. Especially when there are guys attending” I sighed.

“I know Eunnie…I’m sorry…It’s just that this party means a lot to me and I would really like it if you could go. It’s never the same when you’re not there…(sigh) I knew it was too much to ask for...I’m sorry” Yoona sincerely apologized. “Bye Eunnie..”

I felt my heart clench, I never wanted my best friend to be sad because of me.

“Wait. Let me try to persuade my parents. I’m going to go for sure. I’ll think of a way.” I ensured her.

“No Eunnie, I don’t want you to be in trouble because of me.”

“It’s okay. I’ve been in goody two shoes for too long, don’t you think? Time for the bad Ji Eun to come out.” I joked, hoping to lighten the mood.

“Are you sure? Fine. It’s tomorrow afternoon. Wear anything, it’s a casual party. Oh and don’t think of giving me any gift. You attending would be the best one!” Yoona beamed

“Mmh ne, I’ll see you there then. Have fun sleeping over at Tiffany’s house. ” I smiled.

 

 

I walked into the living room and found my dad watching TV for the latest news about Uthful, his company.

“So Appa…Yoona has a boyfriend and they are hosting a celebration party tomorrow…” I said while glancing nervously at my Appa.

“Mmmhmm…” my Appa half-heartedly replied since his attention was on the TV

“You know Appa, I have very good these days. I have gotten 100% in all my classes.” My Appa simply nodded.

I sighed, I have never asked to go to a party since my sister’s incident. "Lee Ji Eun! You can do it! For Yoona!" I tried to give myself courage.

With my voice shaking, I quickly asked, “I-I haven’t been to a party for years (literally). This one means a lot to Yoona. Can I please go to this one? Please, just this once. Jaebal?”

“Ji Eun…you know that we will worry since there are guys there. I’m sorry, Ji Eun, no”

I looked at my Appa’s eyes. They were filled with sadness and guilt. I felt my vision blur, and I ran away ashamed for being weak Ji Eun again.

My Umma, who was watching all this time, began to feel pity. It was the first time seeing her daughter act like this since the incident.

Reluctantly she told Ji Eun Appa, “Maybe it’s time to let her go. She can’t stay under our protection forever. She needs to learn to be independent. This party can be a test and after this, we will decide whether we should let Ji Eun go.” Although Ji Eun Appa didn’t want to agree, he knew it was the right decision.