Reunion

You're the ONE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Reunion"

Nobody's POV

The silence seemed impenetrable as the two of them made their way down the road. Qian snuck glances at her company now and then, but each time she would find herself questioning her vision. Was he really here? After over a year, seeing him only made it more unbelievable.

Somehow, the silence was still full.

Since he had shown up, she hadn't spoken more than his name. It had taken several minutes for her to understand what was happening, and even longer for her to shakily nod as he suggested they take a walk. His eyes were cautious, his tone soft, but it didn't help. She couldn't speak, whether it was fear of what he'd respond or just the lack of input on what to say - maybe even the thought this was all not real and he'd disappear the moment she did - she couldn't break it. Qian was struggling to compose herself, for the first time in a long time.

She needed to adjust. She had to be able to be in his company again, sync up her thoughts, for someone she thought she would never see again. She couldn't speak yet.

Instead, she focused on the bouquet she held gingerly in her hands. Purple and white. It was her favourite colour - the kind Changmin had gotten her when they first started dating. But towards the end, most gestures disappeared. Still, she inhaled the sweet scent of lavenda, lilacs, violets and white roses. Admittedly, she felt slightly more grounded the next time she looked over to him.

There were minor changes. His hair was shorter, his build bigger and he was dressed well- but that wasn't all. Something about him, in his eyes - in those few seconds she had been able to meet his gaze - was different. As he walked beside her, in a tailored shirt and blaze with suit trousers, she could feel the difference. Changmin had avoided formal wear most of the time, but now he seemed comfortable in it. His steps were confident, and his shoulders were laid back.

"So," he cleared his throat, turning to face her. "How have you been?"

Small talk.

It was so insufficient, even he knew that as he looked at the girl who he had longed for, for so long. She knew it too, but she didn't look away; her analysis had peaked her curiousity. And as she sensed his underlying nerves, an old instinct took over to balance them out.

"I've been okay," the words felt weird, like the least of their worries, but they had to start somewhere.

In her mind before, this reunion had gone an entirely different way; he'd turn up at her door with flowers and kisses and promises that wouldn't be broken.

But as the year had progressed, her vision became more realistic - he was leaving her for a year, and for a reason. It would either go the love-sick way in which they forgot all their problems and progressed to the honey moon phase all over again, which frankly wouldn't last; or, they would have a lot of talking to do.

However, in both scenarios, they'd work it out - after all, they were in love. They'd go the distance... but in recent months, things had changed.

And right now, she didn't feel it necessary to do either of those things.

"It... it was an interesting year."

His head bowed at her words, and a sense of guilt enveloped him again. The year was representative of the distance between them. And like the distance, he wanted that year to disappear.

Seeing his expression, Qian spoke up again, his pain quickly hitting her.

"How were your studies? The business course?"

"It was alright," he straightened slightly. "I did enough to make my- my dad proud any way. He's happy with everything."

"That's good," Qian almost didn't notice the unease in his words, remembered his families high expectations, feeling like she was time travelling as it all came back to her.

This had only been in her heart for a year, but not in front of her. It seemed to distant. The silence was still awkward as she processed this, so caught in her thoughts she didn't realise the cracked pavement up ahead.

Qian stumbled, getting caught in the damage and tripping. Thankfully, Changmin darted forward before she could fall, pulling her to his side.

"Woah," she frowned at her own klutz, shaking off, before realising she hadn't caught herself.

Her eyes shot up and Changmin didn't release her, looking right into his worried gaze.

"Are you okay?" he asked, his eyes sincere and soft... familiar.

"I'm fine," she murmured, but found herself relaxing as she finally recognised something in the man in front of her, underneath the year apart.

The guy who was so overprotective, he literally snatched her up when she barely stumbled, and anaylsed her in this moment as if looking for injury.

Her Changmin.

"I don't remember you being so clumsy," he smiled at last, but still not releasing her as he relaxed in her gaze.

"I definitely remember you being this protective," she countered with a small smile, and he chuckled instantly.

"Song Qian; Always a response," he murmured, his eyes crinkling as they let the silence be for only a moment more, as her smile flourished at last. It was only a moment before the tense mood was gone and Changmin, unable to resist, pulled her into a tight embrace.

Qian relaxed in his arms, the outside world disappearing as she inhaled his familiar cologne. The nerves disappeared quickly and what was left was the relief.

"I missed you," she smiled, complications falling away. Something that had been missing for a long time had returned to her, and after a year she felt whole.

"I missed you more," his words were almost pained as he held her where she fit so perfectly, the world disppearing.

And in that moment, the year was gone. Qian let go of the hurt, and for that moment it was as simple as meeting a familiar past; reminiscent, nostalgic. Someone who she cared a great deal for, and was finally coming back to her as she greeted the memories with open arms.

* * *

"You bought an apartment?" Qian asked curiously, as Changmin lead her into complex, his steps lighter as was his smile.

They had decided to go back to his whilst they talked, but in her mind she pictured his old home, with his mother and father, a huge house just outside Seoul. But so far, they'd only been on foot, as he walked her to where he was staying.

"Aniya," he shook his head as he called the elevator, waiting only a second for it to arrive. "This is just where I'm staying."

Qian was pretty used to luxury, but renting an apartment for an indefinite amount of time seemed odd. And when they arrived at the top floor, even more so.

"You're staying here?" her eyes roamed around the oddly familiar corridor as the elevator doors opened again, as she followed him to the room.

"Yeah. I was going to book a hotel, my first choice," he pulled open the door, leading her into the open-plan apartment, as she stared around, noting the suitcase by the door. "But Yunho insisted I stay here, since Jaejoong's not home."

"Yunho?" her eyes flew back to Changmin as he dumped his key and phone on the side, taking off his shoes, only turning to nod at her.

"Back already?" a voice came from the corner, and a familiar figure emerged from the bedroom, his gaze drifting to her, before ever so casually - as if it hadn't been 12 months since he saw the two together - spoke. "Ah, hey Qian."

Of course. This was his brothers place, that was why it looked so familiar. Qian had been here a few times, in the time Changmin had opted for staying with his brother rather than parents. Admittedly, it had been pretty brief, as his brother was against him disobeying his parents, even if they had all but cut him off.

Now, Yunho's smile was a little sheepish, as Qian registered the information. It was all so bizzare - so real. To see someone she hadn't seen for a whole year, next to the person who had spent the year coaching her. Pieces of a puzzle fit together again. Despite the initial shock when realising Changmin's brother was in town earlier this year, it was still numbing to see them behaving so casually.

Wait... he's been staying with Yunho??

"I called you," he seemed to read Qian's questions, scratching his neck with a guilty expression. "But you didn't pick up, and I had to leave before I found you to collect him."

"That's what the missed calls were about," Qian realised, clicking everything together. She sensed something was off when Taecyeon told them Yunho was looking for her.

But nothing like this.

"My fault," Changmin piped up, watching their exchange with a little bit of amusement. Qian could be scary. "I only told him when I landed."

"The brat told me he booked a hotel. Obviously, I had to go meet him,; I left right after your performance," he rolled his eyes. "I'm sorry I couldn't share the celebration."

Changmin chuckled at the shade walking into the kitchen, sensing the direction of the conversation as Yunho approached Qian who was still trying to process everything.

"You were great out there kid," Yunho's smile was genuine as he placed a hand on her shoulder. "Both of you perfected it. Even the lift."

"Thank you," Qian smiled as he grinned wider before he dropped his hand. Truthfully, it felt so far away now. Changmin was here.

How was everyone acted like it was the norm? Even Yunho? But as she met his eyes, she saw how he was behaving just a little too nondescript.

She glanced behind him as Changmin disappeared into the kitchen momentarily, before looking back to Yunho as his bright expression softened a bit with caution.

"How are you dealing Qian?" he was concerned as he leaned forward, and she quickly picked up on what he was refering to.

And from his concern, she could see he was asking as a friend, a brother. Not just as Changmin's brother - something told her if she needed to be out of here right now, Yunho would help her leave.

She took a moment before answering.

"I'm holding up," she said, before shaking her head. "I'm okay. I know it could've been bad, anything with this much weight could. And I was overwhelmed at first, but things kind of evened out... I think we really are okay."

And it was true. The tears and heartache she may have anticipated weren't there, neither was the searing need for them to work things out. She was just happy to see him. Yunho's smile widened again, his eyes hopeful as he nodded.

"I hoped so. I'm sorry I couldn't give you a heads up, I really didn't know. I was pretty shocked myself."

"It's okay Yunho," Qian exhaled. "Honestly, we seem normal... better than normal. I'm just glad he's back."

Understanding, his smile was satisfied as he leaned back a little.

"I told Lian," he diverted. "I thought she might get through to you."

"She did," Qian saw Changmin reappear in her peripheral as she spoke. "Well... kinda. She called when I was leaving."

As she spoke, she checked her pockets, trying to locate what she suddenly remembered she had... misplaced, upon meeting Changmin.

"Oh right," Changmin dug in his pocket, as he neared, before pulling out Qian's phone and holding it out. "I grabbed it for you."

Qian took a moment to digest, before stepping to his side and taking her phone, shying away from his teasing eyes.

"Alright then," Yunho announced, approaching the door, grabbing his keys and phone. "I'm out. You two have fun."

"I should talk to Li," Qian murmured distractedly, the announceent reminding her she had failed to tell her.

"Not my biggest fan..." Changmin sounded nervous at her side but was cut short as Yunho piped up from half way through the door.

"No need, I called her. She'll leave you be," he spoke omniously, before sending a smirk as he slammed the door.

The sound echoed, and Qian tilted her head at his words, trying to see a scenario where he had managed to keep Lian from turning up nocking teh door down. The low chuckle brought her attention back to Changmin.

"So, that's still a thing," he shook his head, turning away from the door and collapsing on the sofa. 

"No," Qian smiled, staring at the door for a second, before following him. "Lian's still with Joonmyeon."

"Ah, right," Changmin turned to her as she sat beside him, his eyes wide. "Soeun's brother?"

"Yeah," she smiled, surprised he remembered.

Changmin had spoken to the girls, their groups even interacting. But with Lian, it was different - as soon as she saw where the relationship was headed - it was a little strained. But he hadn't forgotten his brother's fascination with Qian's cousin.

"In another life," he murmured, mostly to himself before quickly glossing over. "But catch me up, did anything else change?"

"Not much," Qian fought a smile as she thought of her friends, each of whom had come to find this year had been a good one. "A few things. Most of the year was dedicated to the show case. We prepared tirelessly."

"It showed,"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter