Birthday

The City of Darkness

 

-Jiyeon's POV-

(Your POV)

 

 

You open your eyes and grin. You hug your Pikachu plushy and jumped out of bed. Right then, the alarm clock on your bedside table went off, playing one of your favorite songs: Hello by SHINee. You started singing off key on purpose because it was your birthday and no one was in the house. You are an orphan so you got to do whatever you wanted. Right when you hit a high note the door opened, revealing U-Kwon, your best friend.

“Yah what is going on in here?!” He asks with a teasing smile.

You shriek and throw the plushy at him. “What are you doing here?!”

 U-Kwon grins and takes a step forward, catching the plushy. “I’m here to celebrate your birthday of course!”

You make a face and whine. “I’m still in my pajamas!” 

U-Kwon rolls his eyes. “I’m your best friend. I have seen you in your worst and best so why does it matter?”

You stick your tongue out at him. “You are still a guy.”

U-Kwon silently takes you into an embrace. You lightly blush, but return the embrace.

You whisper, “Guess what?”

 “Hm?”

“IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!” You yell in his ear.

U-Kwon jerks away, clutching his ear. “Ow!”

You grin victoriously, “That is what you get for coming in uninvited.”

He smirks and reaches inside his pocket, taking out a pair of keys. He dangles it above his head, “And who was the one who gave me the spare key?”

 “Ok get out I want to get dressed.”  You grunt.

He smiles. “Don’t be late. We have a reservation.”

 “And that would be?” You ask while raising an eyebrow.

U-Kwon then gets a mischievous glint in his eyes. “A date with someone fantabulous.” He says dramatically and points to himself. “Me.”

You roll your eyes and scoff. “You wish.”

He takes a step closer to you. “Maybe I do.” He was close enough to you that he could’ve embraced you.

You felt yourself blush and hung your head so he wouldn’t notice. “You’re weird. Now get out, I have to change!” You point at the door.

U-Kwon grins and walks towards the door. He stands at the doorway. “You’re cute when you blush.” He closes the door before you can even utter a comeback.

 

You step out of your room wearing a white floral dress with white wedges. Your hair was curled at the tips and you wore light pink lipstick. U-Kwon was right outside your door. He was staring at you, gawking.

You pinked. “What? Do I have something on my face?”

U-Kwon grins and walks over to you, draping an arm over your shoulder. “Don’t you look sweet for our date?” He winks. You made a face and push him away. “Let’s just go already.”

You walk away to the front door and wait for him. U-Kwon just chuckles and opens the door for you. You thank him then walk to his red Mustang. U-Kwon then runs in front of you and opens the door.

“Ladies first.” He said smoothly. You roll your eyes, but grin. Soon, you two were driving to your destination.

He pulls up into a fancy restaurant. You raise an eyebrow. “Why such a place?”

U-Kwon looks at you sweetly. “It’s your birthday, silly! I had to take you somewhere nice.”

You smile and take his hand. “You are the bestest friend ever.” You say sincerely.

U-Kwon smiles and says softly, “Come on, let’s go inside. You are the princess for today.”

He then led you inside. It was breathtaking. The tables were draped with ocean blue table cloth, the chairs were sandy colored, and the carpet was also sandy colored. It was almost beach themed. The chandeliers looked like crystal flowers, shining brightly.

You gasp at its beauty. You point at it and tug on U-Kwon’s sleeve like a 5 year old. “Look! So pretty!”

He gazes at you sweetly without you noticing and says dreamily, “Yeah, very.”

The waiter then takes you both to a table. “Will this be fine?” He asks politely.

You smile. “This is perfect. Thank you.”

The waiter smiles at you. “I am glad. Tell me when you and your boyfriend are ready to order.”

You hear U-Kwon snort; your cheeks burn. “He is not my boyfriend.” You clarified.

The waiter frowns, but bows in apology. “Oh. I am sorry, my mistake.” He turns to leave, but then looks at you both and adds, “You two would make a lovely couple.” He winks then leaves. U-Kwon huffs and mutters under his breath, “Weirdo.”

You were still pink and hid your face with the menu, hoping U-Kwon wouldn’t notice. The waiter came back with a rose in his hand. He tapped your shoulder; you look up at him and blink. “Yes?”

The waiter lightly blushes. That is when you notice he looks about 18 years old, and is very handsome. He holds out the rose to you. “For a beautiful young lady. Happy Birthday.” he says shyly.

You blush again and take the rose. “Thank you.” You replied softly, also shy.

The waiter grins. U-Kwon then clears his throat. “We would like to order.”

The waiter then looked away from you, reluctantly. “What would you like?”

He turned right back to you, forgetting about U-Kwon. “Um... May I have the salmon?” You say in a whisper.

The waiter leans closer. “What did you say?”

You blush even more, if possible, from how close he was. “Some s-salmon.” You stutter.

The waiter grins, “That’s my favorite. You’ll love it.” He winks.

You nervously giggle. “Umm thank you.”

U-Kwon then clears his throat again, loudly. “I would like the steak, medium rare. Got it?”

The waiter looks at U-Kwon as if remembering him. “Oh I am sorry sir, of course.”

U-Kwon smirks. “That’s right.” You and the waiter just look at U-Kwon like he is a mad man.

U-Kwon chuckles, “Stop staring at my beauty. I know you are jealous, but let’s face it, you won’t be as good as me.”

The waiter rolls his eyes. “Then why isn’t this girl under your arm, huh? She seems to like me better.” He winks at you and gave you a thousand dollar smile.

“I’m sixteen.” You squeak.

“A very beautiful sixteen-year old.” You were so bright red you could barely stand it. You look at U-Kwon and he looks mad.

You stand up quickly. “I’m going to go to the bathroom.” You then ran off.

You shut the door behind you and tried to calm your breathing. “What on Earth just happened?!”

You look in the mirror and see a change in you. Your skin was glowing, actually glowing. Your eyes were darker, deeper and your dress complemented your figure perfectly. You looked so different. You frown. “What happened to me?”

You touch your skin curiously. “Why is it glowing?”

Right then someone knocks on the door. U-Kwon’s voice boomed through the bathroom, “Jiyeon! The food is here and that weird waiter is gone! Are you ok?”

“Yeah I’m fine. “ You pipe up. You then open the door, revealing your face. “Do I look different?” You asked curiously.

U-Kwon looks at your face while squinting his eyes. “I think you look pretty.”

You laugh. “No! I mean... I thought my skin looked like it was glowing.”

U-Kwon rolls his eyes. “Ok Jiyeon, we get it, you have perfect skin.”

You groan, impatient. “No! It actually looked like it was glowing and my eyes looked darker!”

U-Kwon stops teasing you, looking serious. “Darker?” He asked in a curious tone.

You nod. “Yeah, deeper and my skin looks weird. Like diamonds.” Your eyes widen and you wail, “Oh no! I’m a Cullen! I’m a vampire!”

U-Kwon then grins and slaps your head lightly. “Pabo. You’re not a vampire.”

You heard uncertainty in his voice. You look at him quizzically. U-Kwon quickly changes the subject. “Come on. Your salmon is getting cold.”

 

Later, after you both ate, you drove back to your house. It was almost sun down. When you got out of the car, you stretched. You took a step and almost fell; you grab the car for balance. You sigh in relief. U-Kwon was still in the car and you hear him ask, “Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” You reply. You then look at your hand and saw long, black claws. You shriek and look away from the sight.

U-Kwon shot up from his seat and got out of the car, running to you. “What happened?!” He looks at you, worried and slightly scared.

“M-my nails, t-they were c-claws!” You stuttered. You were shaking violently.

 U-Kwon took your hand and said, “There are no claws.”

You look at your hand again. The claws were gone, U-Kwon was right. “B-but... They were there!” You shriek, panicking.

Am I going crazy? Where those claws really there or was I imagining? Please tell me I am not going crazy on my sixteeth birthday! U-Kwon took you into an embrace. “You need some air. Let’s go for a walk, ok?”

He brushed a hair from your face and gave you a smile. You nod and he then takes your hand. You both start walking around the neighborhood. You were taking deep breaths, trying to settle your mind. After a block of silence, U-Kwon let go of your hand.

“What is it, U-Kwon oppa?” You ask, confused.

U-Kwon gave you a sly grin and gets down on one knee, taking your hand. Your eyes widen. “What are you doing?!” You exclaim.

U-Kwon reaches inside his jacket dramatically. “I have a surprise for you.” He says in a soothing voice. He takes out a white little case and holds it out. “Jiyeon.” He says softly.

Your eyes get even bigger. What is he going to do?! Is he asking me to marry him?! You started to blush fiercely.

He continues, opening the case, showing a ring. The ring was silver with a blood red ruby at the top that was shaped as a star. It shinned in the moonlight and the ruby looking like it was blazing, like fire. You are paralyzed by its beauty. “This is for you. A beautiful friendship ring for a beautiful girl.”

You grin and place your hand out for U-Kwon to place the ring on your finger. After he placed the ring, you kiss his cheek and whisper, “This is the best gift ever, oppa. Thank you.”

You see U-Kwon blush as he stands up. He takes your hand again and you couldn’t help but grin. I am so glad to have a friend like him. Takes care of me, makes me laugh when I need it, and it is a bonus he is handsome.

You rest your head on his shoulder as you two walk. You gazed at the ring on your finger, loving how it looks on you. As if it was made just for me.

You were at a park, and a sudden cold breeze made you shiver. U-Kwon wraps his arms around you, asking, “Is that a bit better, birthday girl?”

You smile gratefully and hug his arms. Won’t people think we are a couple? You thought. You mentally shrug. Who cares anymore? I am just glad he is here with me.

U-Kwon gazed at you lovingly and only silence prevailed. It had already started to get dark, the sky painted tinges of indigo and black. Bright, twinkling stars were present and you were surrounded by clusters of trees and bushes. The moon shone exceptionally bright as well.

The peaceful silence was broken by the sound of a branch cracking and the rustling of the bushes. U-Kwon went stiff. You look at your ring quizically. It appeared to be glowing. He tightens his grip around you, a growl escaping the back of his throat.