The Glitch

An empty book waiting to be filled.

 

Coupling: ChangSica.

Prompt: Today's going to be a good day.

Genre: Fluff.

_______________

“Today’s going to be a good day,” he whispers to himself, he convinces himself, he prays to himself, “Today is most definitely going to be a good day.”

He repeated the exact same words every single day for almost all his life now and running away from all the trouble was almost a daily habit. But he was a glitch. A glitch, in dictionary definition, means to be a malfunction, a mishap, a fault, a defect. And running from yourself is impossible as Changmin learned.

In other words, Changmin was a disaster waiting to happen.

He positions himself on the edge of the bus stop bench and checks for any puddles that could incidentally soak him or any sharp objects that potentially harm him. Once he assures himself that everything will be fine, he takes a seat, moving his sling bag onto his lap and hugging himself in the cold.

It’s a brumous December morning with the temperature going below normal and people clinging onto their sanity from all the frost. Changmin is no different, as he too wears a ridiculous amount of clothing to stop the icicles forming on the tip of his skin. He lowers his head to the ground and blows lightly into the knitted woollen gloves and rubs them for further effect.

Just as he was about to lift his head, a surge of wind hits the morning air hard and by chance, a hundred dollar American money flies past the hoards of people and lands strangely near the phone box right next to him. He freezes (which he already was) and his eyes roam around to see if anyone would claim this so-called luck. But it was a Monday morning and it seemed like most eyes were begging for more sleep and in the fast paced city that he lived in, a measly hundred bucks was nothing.

He eyes the money for a few minutes, contemplating on whether the people above were merely playing a nasty game or just being kind to him for once. A without a second later he pounces to the money and grabbing it in delight. It tugs a little, as if it didn’t want to be owned by an unlucky man such as Changmin but he pulls with all his might and a smile forms on his blue face.

“I told you today’s going to be a good day!” he throws his fist up in the air and victory is written all over his face. But his little parade is short lived when he sees the rear end of the number 27 bus, one which was his ride, and a half torn dollar in his fist.

“Today will b-,” he doesn’t even finish his sentence when a jolt of water crashes into him, leaving his sentence hanging in midair and he also feels like hanging himself.

*

“Late again Min?” his workmates asks and sniggers as if it were a joke to them, “What happened this time?”

“Missed the bus,” he sighs with expressionless blank and throws his jacket over his seat. He peers around the office and wonders how he even ended up with a job with his current condition but shrugs of the thought quickly as he sees the boss coming in.

“Seventh time this month,” the boss stops at his table and hisses through his teeth with heavily accented Korean, “Last warning.”

Changmin doesn’t know whether to be thankful that he still has a job or be angry that no one understands him and solemnly replies, “It won’t happen again sir.” He turns to face the pile of paper waiting to be checked and sent for approval.

As if to rub salt into the already dug deep wounds, his boss thoughtfully reminds him, “Those are all to be sent in tomorrow or else you’re fired.”

“Today is going to be a good day,” he confidently says but his voice is dejected and he’s not convinced anymore.

*

Changmin leans his weak body against hard red brick walls of the outer of his apartment and breathes heavily. After taking deep breath and cursing the neighbourhood dogs, he limps himself to the front door and was startled by a small sigh and little sobs in between.

“Excuse me?” he begins awkwardly with the girl who sits knees to chest and wet from head to toe, “May I help you?”

She ponders at the question for a while but nevertheless nods slowly.

“What’s your name?” he leans forward, closing the empty space between them and offers his hand.

She blinks trice with a face still slightly pale, a little blue from being wet and a little rosy from their proximity. Her fingers slowly and hesitantly reaches up until they touch his and quivers.

Even after changing into fresh new warm Changmin’s clothes she doesn’t speak. Small nods and understandable gestures were exchanged but not more. He begins to wonder if she is mute or merely scared. He shrugs off the thought as he dumps the noodles into the boiling water and any other scraps of food edible.

“So,” he manages, “Are you lost?” She shakes her head.

“Are you running away?” She does the same action once more.

“Are you, you know, mentally incapacitated?”

A flash of disgusted appears on her once blank face and she snaps, “Excuse me but do you know who you’re calling a handicap?”

Changmin cracks up into a grin and acknowledges the pretty woman in front of him, even pretty with a frown on, “Sorry but in my defence, you weren’t speaking.”

She scowls as she folds her arms and turns away, not making another peep.

 “Ok. Let’s start again. What’s your name?” he offers a handshake but she frowns even further, “Aw come one. I said I was sorry.”

Childishly, she sticks out her tongue and moves further from him. However, a tug of smile forms on the sides of her lips and he wonders if she has lightened up. After a few seconds he realizes that he smile was not for him, but for the spluttering boiling ramen in the kitchen.

“Yah!” he snaps as he viciously tries to cool the boiling pot, “Why didn’t you say anything?”

“Oh I’m sorry but I think I heard someone call me, you know, mentally incapacitated.”

He scoffs and places two bowls in front of them. “Fine, I take it back,” he retorts as he hears the loud giggle, “Now stop laughing.”

“You’re such a klutz,” she bites down her tongue to stop herself from laughing. She stops almost immediately when she sees the frown that was on her face a minute ago, now on his, “Sorry.”

“So,” he pours the half burnt noodles into the respective bowls, “Are you going to tell me your name?”

“Jessica,” she mumbles in between the chomping and swallowing. He wonders how many days she has been without food because at that moment he swears she looks like one of those children from the homeless adverts.

“What were you doing crying in front of my house?” he asks and offers his bowl to her, in which she quickly swoops at the golden opportunity and chomps down his meal in seconds.

“You stole my hundred dollars,” she settles the chopstick down and crosses her arms, “Give it back.”

“What?” he responds with a staggered expression, “I’ve never met you before let alone steal something from you.”

“You stole it and tore it apart!” she insists and jabs angrily onto his shoulders, “This morning by the bus stand.”

His mouth is left hanging when he finally remembers the fateful hundred bucks that lead to his tardiness to work and pushes her hand away, “As you can see, I’m barely living with empty cupboards and all so I can’t return that money to you right now.”

“I need that money,” she persists and jabs him some more, “I need the money to get back home.”

“Can’t you contact anyone to pick you up?”

“It was meant to be a surprise actually,” she plays with the ends of the hair and mutters, “But I lost my luggage at the airport and when I went to chase my hundred dollars that you stole, I left my belongings in the cab.”

“I didn’t steal you money,” he says quietly as she continues to tell her story.

“I followed you to your apartment and waited all day for you to come out but you didn’t come out,” she ends with another jab to his shoulders.

“That’s because I always go out the back door since there are rabid canines if I exit through the front door,” he explains but halts, “Heyyy, why didn’t the dogs chase you?”

“There were no dogs,” she squints her eyes and scratches her head in confusion, “What are you talking about?”

Changmin curses inwardly thinking about his situation and submissively replies “I’m just unlucky I guess.” 

“Stop rubbing all that bad luck to me, you glitch.”

“Stop calling me names.”

“Glitch.”

“Yah!”

“Ok fine but you must give me back my money.”

*

Night time is even more gruelling, Changmin thinks, as he huddles himself closer and wonders if you could actually die from this dreadful weather. A bump onto his shoulder jolts him back to the real world and he sees the top of the blond hair.

He declares himself insane that very night for acquiescently following a stranger’s order to send her back home and curses indignantly as he remembers the pile of paper to be sent in tomorrow. However, no pang of regret overcomes him as the bus rolls its way into the darkness.

Busan, Changmin snorts, is not a footstep away.

And today, Changmin proclaims, is not a good day.

*

“Today’s going to be a good day,” Changmin hopelessly tries to convince himself that morning, eyes with bags and pink nose from the sniffles.

“Today’s going to be a good day,” he tries again one more time, hoping that italicizing his words will make them sound more convincing. It doesn’t and he gives up trying.

Winter in Seoul is like mixing all the frozen food in your fridge and waiting for it to melt in your mouth; beautiful but brain freezing. Changmin doesn’t try to hide the fact that the papers were still blank and he was probably going to be jobless from that day on. He doesn’t even try to avoid the rabid hounds and for once they pity him and don’t chase him.

It’s exactly 8am on his watch when he pushes the door open with weary eyes and dishevelled hair. For once he isn’t late but he isn’t too happy since the piled up paper is still piled up in the in box. His workmates points and whispers in amusement but he shrugs them off. After all, it was probably the last time he was going to hear those grown up gossipers.

Its half past 8 when he hears a feminine giggle in the corridors, something that stuns the whole office as it was strictly an all male office. With all ears at their peak and eyes focused on the door, the whole office is silent.

“Good morning,” a girl pushes the door and twirls in with a sing a song voice, “Oppa, quickly introduce me.”

A shockingly shy boss is dragged in with both hands and pushed to the centre where his cheeks were already a burning red, “Good morning everyone. This is my sister, Jessica. She’ll be your new team manager.”

“J-j-jessica?” Changmin stutters, not quite grasping the reality right then, “What are you doing here?”

That probably wasn’t the right thing to say when the brother was present because his boss steps forward to face his employee, still burning red, but this time with anger, “Do you know this guy Sica?”

“It’s the glitch,” another huge grin forms on her face and she pushes her brother to side and shocks him with an embrace.

Blotches of pink forms on his already flustered face and he pushes her away quickly, “Stop calling me that.”

Their heart-warming reunion was finally broken by a loud cough by the boss as his face doesn’t seem to be so happy about his sister befriending an employee (who incidentally he’s about to fire). “Changmin, I thought I already told you that these were mean to be sent in today,” he snaps and stamps his hand down onto the tall pile, “Did you forget or do you purposely want to get fired?”

“Oppa,” Jessica plumps a punch on her brother’s shoulder, “You should be thanking him. He’s the one who sent me home last night.”

“He’s the guy?” his boss raises an eyebrow and peers through his glasses intently towards Changmin. His upper lips tug into a huge smile as he too embraces Changmin, “Why didn’t you say earlier?”

Changmin doesn’t know whether to be happy he is fired, yet, or to be freaked out by the rare smile and bear hug. “I’m promoting you,” his boss declares after letting him go, “To be my sister’s new PA.”

Changmin, for once, smiles back and pronounces, “Today’s definitely a good day.”

_____________________

Woohoo another Jessica oneshot. This is a ChangSica as requested by devilsica. I hope you liked it ^_^ Sorry it's a bit cliche. 

The idea came from watching the movie Wreck it Ralph and one of the main characters, Vanellope, is a glitch. The movie is so fluffy so I'd reccommend you watch it. 

BTW, I'm posting this up on my Livejournal too. If you have a Livejournal, befriend me too. I'm new and my Livejournal is soooo lonely. 

Anyway, I have Baekstal coming up as requested. I'd like to write couplings other than Krystal and Jessica as the lead so can someone pleaseee request another female lead. hehe. 

Last but not least, enjoy.