Two.

Marked With Fangs

 

I felt myself laying down on somewhere comfortable that felt like a bed and a warm converter that covers me, making me put up a smile on my face. I think it is just a bad dream. I sighed of relief.

 

'Do you really think it's a dream?' A voice spoke in my mind.

 

My eyes flunked open. I could bet my last dollar that that voice is definitely not me. I swear it is not.  I scanned around and notice that I was in a room. A hospital room, seems like a ward. I was alone in the room. I tried to get myself up but I could not due to the awfully pain on my back. I called out for a nurse and a lady came in. I recognised her. She is my mother's sister, Aunt Bekah.

 

"Thankfully, you're awake! How are you feeling, dear?" She gave me a hug.

 

"I'm fine, now..." I replied.

 

"The doctor is on his way here. Don't worry, everything is going to be fine." She held my hands into hers.

 

"Wh-where's mom and dad?" I asked, feeling worried about them. I watched Aunt Bekah taking a deep breath and sigh. Then, I saw her eyes getting watery. Awhile then, a doctor came in.

 

"Good Morning, Suyoung. I am Dr. Shin. How are you feeling now?" He asked, taking note of my condition.

 

"I am fine. Now, where ate my parents?" I asked for the second time. Both of them sat beside me.

 

"I am truly sorry to say that... Your parents didn't make it. It's a miracle that you've survived...." He explained but I cut in.

 

"What..?" My eyes were wide open, my heart sunked, and in seconds, I felt teardrops from my eyes. Aunt Bekah sat down beside me and hold onto my hands. I shook my head in disbelief. I could not accept that my parents are now gone.

 

'No, this is just a dream, right?' I thought, closing my eyes tight and took a deep breath before exhaling.

 

"We tried our best, I'm sorry. Thankfully, you are saved. But we're still finding out what's the mark... well, it seemed to be an animal bite." He came closer to me and continued while passing me a note, "Thankfully a young guy found you and called for help. Here's his number, he asked to call him when you're awake." I nodded and read the note he passed me. There is only numbers and no words stating anyone's name. I was curious and looked towards Dr. Shin.

 

"Wait. What bite mark?" I asked. Then, I stood up and walked towards into the toilet. I looked at my reflection on the big mirror in front of me. It is true. I have a mark on my neck. I screamed and shivered in fright, speechless of the ‘bite’.

“What the hell is this?!” I was too afraid to even touch it. Aunt Bekah ran over to me, and so did Dr. Shin. I dropped my knees on the floor and tried to catch my breath. “Calm down, my dear. Everything is going to be fine, just calm down. Dr. Shin said it’s not infecting anything. It’s just a mark. Relax, my dear.” Aunt Bekah comforted me and gave me a hug while patting my back. I felt her cold hands cupped mine and I sighed, calming myself down. I do felt embarrassed when Dr. Shin was looking at my situation. Honestly, I disliked being pitied by others. I did not want others to see the weak side of me.

‘I’m sorry.’ I heard a whispering voice. I looked up to see who it was but no one responded. Then, I realised that it was not from anyone in this room. It was in my mind instead. We stayed in this position for minutes till I felt my legs aching. Walking back to my bed, Aunt Bekah followed me by my side. “When can I leave the hospital?” I asked.

“It’ll be just a few days more. You need more rest. I will let you know soon...” Dr. Shin answered.

“Don’t worry, Suyoung-ah. I will take good care of you... Do you mind staying with me in Seoul from now onwards?” Aunt Bekah questioned. I was not budging because I was thinking what will happen next when I leave this hospital. It took me long enough to make my decision. I nodded in conclusion.

 

A few days later, I was discharged and Aunt Bekah fetched me from the hospital. I was curious with the big luggages she was bringing along with, so I asked, “Aunt Bekah, what’s in these luggages? Are you going some where after this?” She giggled and we stopped by a luxurious Mercedez Benz car.

“These luggages are yours, dear. I’ve kept all your things at your parents’ house in these but if you need anything more, feel free to ask me,” she answered while opening the car’s door at the backseat. I looked at her with surprise. In my entire life, I did not knew that she had a luxurious car at all. I even bet that she could see the awe in my face.

“Get in first.” I watched her as she walked to the back of the car to keep the luggages into the trunks. I hopped into the car and scanned every single details of the car. This is awesome. Not long after that, Aunt Bekah went into the car and got ready to drive off. I was so fascinated of the car till I did not even realise that Aunt Bekah was asking me something.

“Er... Sorry, but can you repeat...” I tried to find an explaination but Aunt Bekah laughed at my reaction. I was quite embarrassed at that moment.

"I'm staying with my friend's sons too since they lost their parents too, long ago when they were younger than your age. I hope you wouldn't mind... Don't worry, they spend more time with outdoor events rather than at home." She took a glance at me, hoping that I would be okay with it. I was deep into thoughts then, 'Sons? All of them are boys?' I thought.

"Then.... Am I going to be the only girl?" I questioned, slightly surprised. 

"Nope, I'm here." She laughed and continued, "It'll be fine, they won't bite." 

I stared outside the window, and just nodded. I hope everything will turn out fine.