Paper Hearts

A Collection: With You

He couldn’t understand it.

His mind went around in circles, trying to figure out why his girlfriend ended it with him. Ex-girlfriend.

She said he didn’t understand the meaning of love.

If the meaning of love was what he was feeling now, then love was a wretched thing.

Wretched the way it made his beating heart feel like it was about to collapse and break into pieces. Pieces he knew he wouldn’t be able to pick up.

And at this moment, there was nothing that could mold his heart back to the way it was.

 


 

There was a heart-shaped paper stuck to his desk.

Have a nice day, Yongguk! :)

How dare this person write to me informally. He looked around the office, searching for the culprit.

Eventually he crumpled up the paper heart and threw it in the bin.

 

Here’s a smile to start your day :)

Scrunch. Roll. Tossed into the bin.

 

Don’t throw me away! Please?

P.S. You look nicer when you smile. Come on, gimme a smile. CHEESE!

He read the note again. Looking around him, it could be any one of these people. He stuck the paper in his drawer.

 

I hope you didn’t throw me away. Did you? :p Whatever it is that is upsetting you, tell it to go screw themselves!

How does this person know how I’m feeling today?

Curious but still unable to guess the sender, he put the last note with the previous.

 

Just a note to say hello!

P.S. Daehyun stole your beef and cheese sandwich from the fridge.

So that was why Daehyun looked so guilty today. Yongguk chuckled to himself and tossed it in the drawer.

 

Yongguk, keep your head up. Good luck with the presentation!

 

Hope your knee is a lot better. Rest well and take care! :)

 

Here’s a Cadbury’s bar to give you a teeny sweet boost. Don’t forget to enjoy it. You eat way too fast!

 

Don’t say I didn’t tell you so last time! See, now you’ve got a stomach ache.

P.S. Take this after meals. It’s not bitter, I promise! It’s orange-flavoured. Yum!

 

No matter what, remember you’re never alone. Always stay positive!

 

So, um your shirt was a fashion disaster today. Step away from the neon ties.

 

Your dark circles are so not cool. Cucumber slices are the way to go! Go go go go!

P.S. Here’s a face mask as a bonus. I’m being generous today, teehee.

 

The notes came again and again. Each written with a random message. Some quirky, some funny, some happy and some had heartfelt advice.

And like that, his heart felt better. To say it was completely healed, no it wasn’t. But each day he’d look forward to the paper hearts on his desk.

Waiting to read what new message would be there to greet him.

 


 

One day, the paper heart wasn’t there. He was surprised.

And disappointed. Maybe the sender forgot it today.

Three days went by and still no new paper heart.

Was there something wrong? he thought.              

Another day and suddenly a week passed.

 

So finally, he opened up his drawer and picked the paper heart that lay on top of the pile he had kept.

Are you OK? Here’s a note to say hi! :)

He left that on his table.

 

The next morning it was gone. He searched around the office again. He still couldn’t find her. Or him. But it was most likely to be a her. He hoped it was.

 

Remember what you said last time? Stay positive! And you’re not alone. I’m here.

Again, the note was gone.

 

Wanna hear a joke? What did the older chimney say to the younger chimney?

You’re too young to smoke! :D

That too was taken away.

 

So he continued doing it. Writing note after note to the mysterious person. And each time he saw the paper heart leave his desk, he felt better. He felt better knowing that he was able to pay back the person, the smallest way possible by responding the same way.

 


 

“Jieun-ssi, you are falling behind in your work and it is holding up the rest of the team!” The manager sternly told off Jieun, who kept her head down, embarrassed and upset. “This is my last warning.” Jieun nodded and bit her lip, stopping her tears from welling out. It was all too much. She had her family to worry about, her failing non-existent social-life and now her job was being a pain.

 

She picked up the note she saw this morning.

 

Smile and think happy things. Even if it only lasts a few seconds, so be it. Say CHEESE! :D

How appropriate, she thought with a small smile.

 

THUD! She came crashing to the ground, her work files dropping to the floor, pieces of paper flying out.

 

 “Wow, are you OK? Sorry, I didn’t see you there.” The familiar voice caused her to freeze momentarily but then she remembered something important.

 

The paper heart that was in her hands. Where was it?

She scrambled through the fallen sheets, looking for it. The person she ran into was busy helping by picking up everything else. From the corner of her eye, she saw the familiar shape and her hands reached out for it and she clutched it to her chest, hoping he hadn’t seen it.

 

Phew, that was close.

 

Are you ever going to show yourself?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Is that a yes?

It could be a no.

You’re not playing fair! You know me, I don’t know you!

It’s a fun game isn’t it! Now finish those slides. Boss isn't looking too happy.

I finished the slides on Monday. Now, please. Just tell me who you are. A friend is saddd. *sad face*

*Gasp* Is Bang Yongguk acting cute now? Ring the alarms, everyone!

P.S. I’ll tell you someday. I promise.

P.P.S. And I never break promises :)

That day is never going to come. OK. How about this… will you promise to go out for dinner with me and a football match?

A football match? Wow, you really know how to ask someone out. Deal! :p

 

The last note he sent made her feel giddy. But it was unfortunate that it was only clearly seen in writing because that was as far as it would go. He didn't know it was her and he would never know because she would never admit it was her. She sighed and continued working.

 

 “So, I was thinking tomorrow night?”

Her fingers stopped typing and she raised her eyes from her screen to the person stood in front. The ball of nervousness was growing in .

Yongguk looked at her expectantly, waiting for an answer.

 “Someday could be next month or next year so... yeah. You did say you never break promises so you can’t say no at all. That’s not allowed. You get a yellow card.”

Jieun’s eyes widened and she could feel herself warming up from head to toe. How did he-

 “Circle an option. I’ll be waiting.” He planted the paper heart on her desk that had ‘Yongguk and Jieun’s date’ written on it and he left her desk.

 

He avoided looking straight at his desk. Worried that there would be no paper heart. Or there would be a paper heart, but no answer.

He carefully looked down and saw the slight hint of a red colour.

The familiar red colour he had seen so many times.

And it was there.

The paper heart.

 

Yes tomorrow  yes weekend.

Do I get a yellow card for circling both?  

 


 

YOU GUYSSSSSSSSSSS! JIEUN'S COMEBACK IS TOMORROW AND I'M SO EXCITED LIKE SHE IS FLAWLESSLY BEAUTIFUL IN THE TEASER AND I JUST CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO BE OUTTTTTTT!!!  I've been waiting for this day for so long and it's finally hereeeee! Totally killed the replay button for that teaser hehehe. The song sounds perfect for her voice and I'm super looking forward to the MV, the album, her comeback stages and everything Jieun related. SONG JIEUN, love yaaa~! <3