You are not alone

Another Heart

 

**

 

You are now entering the life of a family. I will allow you to imagine that you are a ghost, an angel or any supernatural being on one condition that…you are invisible. You see everything, and all that is happening in front of you but no one can hear you or see you.

There are two brothers, Siwon, the eldest and Suho, his younger sibling. They were brothers with no parents. Why you ask? An unfortunate car accident came upon them. Siwon and Suho could not simply put the all blame on God. People were bound to die anytime and anywhere. It was more of fate, an unfortunate fate. Having no choice, the two brothers must continue their lives without the care of their parents. May they rest in peace.

 

**

 

 

            It was a cold cloudy day. Siwon stepped out from the house, proceeded to the backyard and took down all the clothes from the clothesline. He glanced up and noticed the gray clouds in the sky, “I wonder if it’s going to rain.” He muttered to himself. Siwon went back into the house and came out again with a cell phone in his hand waiting for someone to pick up.

 

“Suho! Where are you? It looks like it’s going to rain any minute! Come back home quickly!” Siwon told his younger brother.

 

Isn’t that so sweet? It warms your heart to see an older brother take such good care of his younger sibling. Suddenly, the sky turns pitch back and droplets of rain start to fall from the sky, eventually turning into a heavy drizzle.

 

Siwon waited for Suho’s return as he paced back and forth impatiently.

 

“Hyung!!!”

 

A voice shouted from outside. Siwon who was seated on a chair, got up with a start and rushed to the front door. "Suho!!" He yelled, flinging the door open, "I thought I told you to-... " Siwon   froze and stared at the figures in front of him.

Kyuhyun who was panting from all the running, was soaked from the heavy rain. Upon closer inspection, he was carrying someone on his back.

 

“Suho!!” Siwon gasped, alarmed, “Quickly, quickly come in!”

 

Kyuhyun hastily entered the house with Suho. The two of them carefully set Suho down on the floor and gently placed his head on Siwon’s lap.

"Kyuhyun…What on earth happened to my brother?” Siwon’s voice was quivery as he questioned Kyuhyun with tearful eyes. The younger who was still trying to catch his breath, coughed, inhaled and exhaled deeply.

 

“He- he..fainted while we running…through the rain. I was so shocked, it was all so sudden!” Kyuhyun explained softly in between soft pants.

 

“Suho… Suho…wake up, please!” Siwon pleaded as he shook Suho’s body several times, hoping his little brother would come to but there was so response.

Kyuhyun who couldn’t stand seeing the helpless Suho, suggested sending him to a doctor. Siwon however, refused. Suho’s condition could get worse if he were to go out into the heavy rain shower again. Siwon quickly proceeded to replacing Suho’s wet uniform with warm dry clothes and placed him on the bed. Wasting no time at all, Kyuhyun ran to a nearby clinic.

 

“Donghae hyung! Donghae hyung!!” Kyuhyun shouted barging into the clinic catching attention of several people in the clinic. 

 

The nurse came rushing out, “Kyuhyun-sshi, what’s the matter?”. She asked.

“Hyung…I mean Dr. Donghae, where is he?” Kyuhyun stammered, “Please! My friend-..”

 

“Kyuhyun?” Someone interrupted them. Kyuhyun whirled around to see Donghae who was in his white uniform, a clipboard in one hand.

 

“Hyung, hyung! You have to help!” Kyuhyun stumbled towards Donghae.

“What is it?” Donghae asked, Kyuhyun suddenly grasping onto his shoulders.

“It’s Suho.. Suho fainted! He’s sick again! You must come quickly!” Kyuhyun’s words came out like a bullet train as he dragged Donghae to the exit. Donghae told Kyuhyun to stay calm as he filled his bag with medicine, medical equipment and others necessities.

 

**

 

“Suho…Suho…” A gentle, hazy voice called out to him. A small groan was let out before the said boy’s eyelids slowly fluttered open. He adjusted his blurry vision to find his brother in front of him. 

“Hyung…” Suho whispered weakly. However, he still flashed his angelic smile on that pale face.

“Suho, how are you feeling?” Siwon caressed his hair, and put his palm on his forehead. Just as he expected, Suho caught a cold. 

“A bit weak… Suho croaked as Siwon placed a small damp towel on his forehead.

 

“You have a slight fever.” Siwon said as Suho sighed.

“I’ve made you worried again… right, hyung?” he said. Before Siwon could reply, Suho gasped loudly as a sharp stinging pain struck through his chest making him groan. Siwon’s eyes widened twice the size and panicked but Donghae came in just in time.

 

“Easy Suho, it’s ok. Calm down, breathe slowly,” Donghae instructed his patient. Suho did as he was told, calmed down and steadied his breathing. Suho took 2 pills given by Donghae. Only then did he feel better. Donghae and Kyuhyun excused themselves to let Suho get some rest.

 

“You should eat something,” Siwon said, “I made you some porridge.”

 

“Not again.” Suho whined softly, “Your porridge tastes bad hyung.” Siwon just smiled and patted Suho’s head. He was still able to joke around despite his sickness.

 

“Let’s eat.” Siwon grinned.

 

**

 

Leeteuk took some bread and smeared some jam on one side. He smiled as the smell of heavenly blueberry jam scent made him smile. Donghae walked into the kitchen and sat at the table, Kyuhyun shuffling close behind him.

 

“Omma! I want a glass of milk.” Kyuhyun demanded, pulling a chair out and sat down. Donghae started to chuckle.

“What?” Kyuhyun eyed his hyung questioningly.

 

“Can’t you drink something else? You are not a kid anymore.” Donghae teased, raising an eyebrow.

“I want to be tall,” Kyuhyun said shrugging, “Anyway, what’s wrong with drinking milk?”

“Careful you’ll grow too tall,” Leeteuk smirked coming over with a glass of milk, “We can’t afford to get the ceiling fixed.”

“Aish, stop making fun of me you guys! Omma!!” Kyuhyun complained.

 

Childish as always Kyuhyun but then again he was the youngest out of the three Lee siblings so it was understandable and rather cute.

Leeteuk, Donghae and Kyuhyun, all chose to be doctors as their main profession. They were indeed not only a group of handsome young men in the family but very intelligent as well.

 

Kyuhyun told his brothers about the Kim family and this made Leeteuk suddenly burst into anger.

“Our father earns us money, because he wants all of us to have a happier life! Lee Donghae! Our father invested money for a clinic and pharmacy which you are capable of! Isn't there anything better you can do?!”

 

“Hyung, why are you acting like this?” Kyuhyun couldn’t believe his brother’s sudden outburst, “We just wanted to help Suho. He’s dying!”

 

Leeteuk scoffed, “And who do you think you are, helping him like that. Is he your brother? Is he EVEN your brother?! NO, I AM!” He yelled as Donghae remained silent and lowered his head.

 

“He’s my best friend!” Kyuhyun shouted forgetting he was talking to his older brother that made Leeteuk nearly lose his temper. Things weren’t looking too good. 

 

 

“If Suho wants to live, he has to make money and pay for it by himself. Why do you always want to help pay for him?! He’s not even contributing anything to our family!” Leeteuk shot back, scolding his younger sibling.

“Hyung.” Donghae spoke up calmly, “Remember that accident Kyuhyun had? Suho was the one who kindly donated blood to him.”

 

Leeteuk laughed sarcastically "Is that the only reason why you..."

 

“While you only care about your work and your other patients at your hospital meanwhile your dongsaeng is dying.” Donghae interjected and glared at his hyung. 

“You should come and help too.” Kyuhyun looked at Donghae for bravely speaking up to Leeteuk and glanced over to his eldest brother.

 

Silence suddenly enveloped the room. Not one of them said a word and it was getting rather awkward and the quiet atmosphere wasn’t helping. Frankly it only made things more tensed. 

 

“Okay, you know what? Fine!” Leeteuk finally broke the silence, “You really want to help him right? Fine but don’t expect any help from dad, mom or from ME!” He growled, pointing his index finger angrily at Kyuhyun and Donghae. He was about to leave the room when Donghae spoke up.

 

“Since dad invested his money for me, the clinic now belongs to me. And yes as you can see I am already earning money so I am very capable of handling things thank you very much. So, go ahead. Go back to your patients in your hospital and do all the work you want. Don’t mind us. We’ll take care of the Kim family ourselves.” Donghae said staunchly, eyeing Leeteuk carefully. Leeteuk merely gritted his teeth in frustration; his back still facing towards them and hastily marched out of the room without saying another word. He slammed the front door shut as he stood on the front porch. Leeteuk stared back into the house. It was amazing how Donghae was so mature, it made him seem like the eldest sibling. It had shaken his credibility as the oldest brother. “Tch.” Leeteuk sneered, got into his car and drove up the street.

“You guys are so noisy! I can hear you all the way from downstairs! Mrs. Lee shouted to her kids from the second floor. She has just finished making a phone call and just so happened to hear her kid’s ruckus.

 

“ Sorry mom!” Donghae shouted back, “Come on, Kyuhyun. You don’t want to be late for school.”

 

It was quiet as Donghae drove to school until Kyuhyun spoke up. “Why was Leeteuk hyung so angry about the whole thing? We just wanted to help Suho…”

 

Donghae sighed, “You know him. Money is his best friend. He can’t live without it. He would love to have it all including yours and mine.”

 

“But it’s up to us how we manage our money,” Kyuhyun said, “Whether we decide to donate it to charity or to clubs it’s our choice.”

 

“Hmm yes, you’re right. You’re allowed to use your money however you want but I’m trusting you to not misuse what mom gave to you,” Donghae pulled the car over in front of Kyuhyun’s school. “Let me help Suho. I already have a job.” He added patting Kyuhyun’s head. The younger one just nodded. “Bye, hyung! See you later!” He waved racing into gate. Donghae gave a small smile as he waved, watching his brother join up with his friends.

 

**

 

For two days, Suho was unable to attend school. However, today he felt better although the pain was not completely gone.

 

“ Hyung, I want to see mom.” Suho said to Siwon who nodded. “We’ll go see her after you finish your meal, okay?”

 

Soon after, they went to pay their parents’ graves a visit. Siwon sat in front of his father’s while Suho sat in front of his mother’s grave. “Omma,” Siwon uttered out, “Suho hasn’t been going to school for two days. He’s bad kid omma, appa.” Suho just chuckled.

“Omma, Appa, don’t listen to Siwon hyung. I’m not a bad boy, I’m just sick. I promise I will go to school tomorrow.” Siwon reached over to Suho’s head and ruffled his hair.

 

“ Hyung, you’re messing up my hair! Omma!! Stop this giant!” Siwon just laughed and continued to annoy his younger brother. It was like this every time. The two brothers would sit and talk in front of the graves as if their parents were still alive. Sometimes wandering people from the neighborhood would see them and it hurt them that their parents weren’t alive anymore.

 

 “ Oi! Handsome boys! You both came again!” Someone shouted over to them. Suho and Siwon whirled around.

 

“Uncle Jae!” Siwon shouted gleefully.

 

Since it was getting quite cold and Siwon was afraid Suho will fall sick again, Uncle Jae brought them back to his house. They stayed for a bit but went back home right away since Suho had school tomorrow. Uncle Jae’s late wife, Madam Seohee’s grave was right beside their parents’. So whenever they went up the hill, they always find Uncle Jae either tidying up the grave or having a chit chat like Siwon and Suho did just now. He’s such a good and loyal spouse but unfortunately his wife had passed on.

“I don’t remember her smile,” Suho mumbled out loud all of a sudden.

 

“Hmm?” Siwon questioned turning to face his brother.

“Hyung, I…I don’t remember omma’s smile..and what laugh sounded like.”

“Well..mom’s laugh is just like yours..” Siwon said with a smile.

 

“No way.” Suho said. Siwon’s eyes widened, “I mean...there’s no way omma’s laugh is like mine. Suho laughed slightly, “I’m a guy. My voice.” He pointed to his throat.

 

“Silly.” Siwon poked his forehead. Suho blinked, confused to why his brother acted that way.

“ What?” The younger asked.

“I didn’t mean that omma had a manly voice! I meant the way you both laughed. Aish.” Siwon chuckled. He got up from the bed and reached out to get a box.  He took out a CD and switch on his laptop. After inserting in the cd, a video appeared on screen. It was from the old days. They had spent a holiday at the beach somewhere in Busan.

 

“I was afraid the tape will one day damage so I asked my friend to convert it into a CD for me. I even had it saved in my Dropbox.” Siwon explained. He couldn’t afford losing one of the most precious moments. Suho just nodded as he watched the videos.

 

“Our father used to like using cameras and handy cams a lot.” Siwon said with a small grin.

Suho looked around the room, “But I don’t see any…?”

“He sold all of them.” Siwon told him.

 

“Why?” Suho asked suddenly coming to a realization, “Is it…because… of me?” He asked. Siwon just smiled and shook his head. “No it wasn’t because of you. He had way too many and omma didn’t like it. At that time, we lived in Busan and later moved to Seoul. So you can imagine how hard it was to move out all of our stuff. Since appa loved omma so much, he tended to her wishes and sold all of them. Well not all I believe. I think he might have kept some. They’re somewhere in the store.” Suho finally smiled and nodded. He was relieved he was not the cause.

 

**

 

“I came to ask for your permission.” Donghae told Siwon.

Donghae explained how he really wanted to help Suho to recover from his illness. The boy was suffering from a common type of heart disease called Coronary Artery Disease and the only way to treat it was to undergo a heart transplant. Donghae wasn’t doing this just because Suho saved Kyuhyun once but also because they were friends.

“You already found the donor?” Siwon asked.

“Fortunately, yes. It’s more than one donor.” Donghae smiled.

“But, from what I’ve heard, the donor must not be living.”

“Exactly. Actually, I already discussed this with my father. He agreed to help Suho as well,” Donghae explained, “The donors already registered in the hospital allowing them to take their organs to be donated to another person. So there’s no need to worry about that.”

 

“But…we’re kind of short on money…” Siwon said quietly as he hung his head.

“Donghae hyung! I don’t think Siwon hyung understands what we want to do.” Kyuhyun who had been listening from the start, spoke up. Donghae chuckled inched closer to Siwon.

 

“Siwon, I will help you. I will be the one paying everything,” Donghae told him, “You don’t need to worry about money and how much it costs. All I want to do is help you and Suho.”

 

“What? No, no I can’t. I just can’t allow that Donghae,” Siwon shook his head, “It’s too expensive, how can I just let you pay everything? I’ll get out there and earn more money…”

 

“I’m afraid Suho won’t be able to live much longer Siwon…” Donghae said, causing Siwon to gasp silently. He felt his heart skip a beat.

 

“What…what did you say? It can’t be! You’re lying!”

 

“ Hyung…Donghae hyung isn’t kidding,” Kyuhyun said, “Besides, he was the one checking up on Suho’s health all these years.”

 

“Siwon hyung…” A soft voice called out. Everyone turned around and all eyes landed on a certain someone. Everyone froze, too stunned to even move. In front of them was Suho standing in front of the gate. Yes, he heard everything, including the death part.

 

“I…I will die?” Suho’s breathing became irregular and felt like his heart would stop any moment.  His vision became blurry by his own tears. Suho slowly brought his sleeve to his eyes and wiped his tears away. His face was paler than usual, a very scared expression plastered on his face. The part that hurt most was that he kept repeating the forbidden words. “I’m going to die soon?” Siwon quickly ran up to him and hugged him tightly.

 

“ No, no Suho. You won’t die. You will live; I will make sure you will! Please don’t cry ok? We will find a cure for you for sure.” Siwon comforted Suho who cried harder and eventually fell unconscious. Siwon hugged the weaker body even tighter.

“Suho? Suho?” Siwon gently shook Suho who remained out cold. “Suho!”

That night, decision was made. Suho not deserved to suffer more. Everything was more than enough. Siwon slowly closed the door and walked to the living room.

“Okay, let’s do it.” Siwon made up his mind as he turned to Donghae. For his beloved younger brother Suho, he will do anything.

 

“I promise I’ll pay you back.” Siwon couldn’t stop his tears from flowing.

“Siwon please, there isn’t any need to. I owe you one. Suho’s blood is flowing in Kyuhyun’s body.” Donghae said.

“If it weren’t for Suho I would have died long time ago, Siwon hyung” Kyuhyun cried. Siwon hugged Kyuhyun tightly.

 

After Suho regained consciousness, they explained everything to him. Suho was still in shock and would not talk to anyone, but after a few days he slowly came to a realization and opened his heart believing there still is hope. Oh dear god, please help this poor boy. He’s still so very young and has such a long journey ahead of him.

 

“ Suho it’s because of you, I’m still alive. If not, I would have already killed myself. You know how much I love you.” Siwon said.

 

“I love you too, hyung. You are my only brother; my only family I have left and nothing can ever change that. I also live because of you. If it weren’t for you, I would have given up and just let myself die.” Suho whispered. Siwon hugged him tightly and promised one another that they will be strong and believe that God will watch over them.

 

**

 

Today Uncle Jae met Suho in front of his school. He told Uncle Jae everything and will undergo surgery after the mock exam. 

 

“I’m very proud of both of you. You’ve both become so strong!” Uncle Jae praised, “Suho grinned excusing himself but not before Uncle Jae handing him some money.

 

“Your brother’s birthday is just around the corner am I right?” Uncle Jae said, “Take this and go buy something nice for him.”

 

“I can’t take this, hyung will be mad at me,” Suho refused, “It’s too much!”

 

“Nonsense! This is nothing; it’s for your big bro ne?” Uncle Jae said, “His special day only comes once a year after all.”

 

“Yeah…bu-but…”

 

“No buts,” Uncle Jae cut Suho off, “Just take the money. I’m sure Siwon won’t mind a little present from his younger brother and if he has any complaints, he’ll have to deal with me. Run along now, I’ll see you later!” With that Uncle Jae walked off, the money now securely in Suho’s hand.

 

Suho went back home but Siwon still wasn’t back from his work. Suho decided to stay in front of his desk and plan for his brother’s birthday surprise.

 

“Okay, I guess I might as well make good use of the money Uncle Jae gave me. Now what should I buy,” Suho thought about it as he chew on his pencil, He started jotting down a list of things in his notebook, “Definitely a cake…juice, hmm, oh and fruits! Hyung loves strawberries and apples!” Suho grinned, “I might enough to even buy him a new t-shirt!” He said excitedly, “Now people to invite.Uncle Jae, Donghae hyung, Kyuhyun…” Suho continued making preparations until he finally dozed off right there at the desk. After a while, Siwon came back home from work but Suho woke up just in time and had successfully hidden the list of gifts.

 

**

 

 The mock exam had officially started. Suho and Kyuhyun were ready to rock the exam.

“Suho, if I get a better score than you, you have to buy me a present ok?” Kyuhyun whispered in the library. Suho placed the book he was reading down on the table and replied, “Well aren’t you confident.” Suho raised an eyebrow, “I think it is I who should expect something from you.”

“I guess we’ll just have to see won’t we?” Kyuhyun smirked, as Suho chuckled.

 

The exam took about two weeks. Suho really worked hard for it. Not because of Kyuhyun, but because of Siwon. He wanted to get a good job, earn a decent amount of money so he could live a happy life. He had faith that he would be able to continue living. One might cry if they’re right beside him, touched by his determination as they accompany him while he studies through the night. One would definitely pray for this pure-hearted and precious boy so that he may have another chance to live.

 

After two weeks, all the students’ burdens were lifted off their shoulders. “I’m confident I will pass this exam.” Ryeowook said.

 

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo exchanged glances with one another. Kyuhyun and Suho merely chuckled. “Of course hyung.” Kyungsoo smiled.

 

“You’re the only one who believes me Kyungsoo. Thank you so much!” Ryeowook gave his dongsaeng a tight squeeze. Suho, Kyuhyun and Baekhyun bid Ryeowook and Kyungsoo good bye and headed back home.

 

“Wait for me!” Kyungsoo shouted from afar and ran to catch up with Baekhyun.

 

**

 

Meanwhile, Leeteuk arrived at Siwon’s house and pushed open the gate. He hung around the front porch waiting for Siwon to answer the door.  

“Leeteuk hyung.” Siwon blinked.

 

Leeteuk smirked, “Since I’m not your brother, I suggest you call me Doctor Leeteuk or Mr. Leeteuk.” He said avoiding eye contact with Siwon.

 

Siwon suppressed a laugh and just smiled. “Yes…doctor? There is anything I can help you with?”

 

Leeteuk was well known as being a successful man, and Siwon knew that he was Donghae’s brother. Sometimes, he just couldn’t understand why Leeteuk had to act all cocky in front of others, well in front of him at least. Leeteuk was a whole lot different from Donghae and Kyuhyun whom were so much nicer and kinder.

 

“Are you that happy?” Leeteuk asked.

 

“Excuse me?” Siwon asked, confused.

 

“My brother, Lee Donghae, or must I say Doctor Lee Donghae has made up his mind to help Suho survive his illness. And now he has persuaded our father too. You must be very happy. You don’t have to worry about money now.” Leeteuk said slyly.

 

“Uhm uh…but, that is--.” Siwon started to say.

“Admit it.” Leeteuk narrowed his eyes.

“Ok fine, it’s true,” Siwon’s hands flew up in defeat, “It’s true, but I will pay back for it somehow!”

 

“Hmm, I wouldn’t be too sure about that. Judging on your current situation house and hold, I doubt you would be able to pay back any time soon. But, if you say so. You could take forever to pay us back for but I don’t care. I’m just here to make sure you keep your promise, even if it takes you a lifetime.” Leeteuk laughed scornfully and made his way out of Siwon’s house.

 

Donghae, who heard the whole thing, went up to Siwon who was still standing at the door, not moving an inch. “Siwon?” He looked at his friend concerned. Donghae smirks.

 

“Don’t listen to that nut head. You have nothing to worry about it. I’m not changing my mind,” Donghae reassured him placing a hand on Siwon’s shoulder, “My father already agreed to help. You can count on us.”

“But I think Leeteuk hyung is right. It might take me forever to pay you back.”

 

“Uh uh~ Call me Doctor Leeteuk or Mr. Leeteuk.” Donghae mocked after his brother was out of sight and the two of them laughed.

 

**

 

The day after tomorrow was Siwon’s birthday. He wasn’t expecting anything and he had no idea Suho was preparing him something or if he even remembered since he was busy with studying. Either way, it wasn’t a big deal for him.

 

“Hyung! I’m gonna go out for a while!” Suho shouted as he ran out the door.