Angels & Devils: Angels

Genesis (Volume 01)

They were enemies, bitter ones at that.

A lifelong war between heaven and the underworld. 

He's the one who's supposed to be good, the angel, despite his looks.

And yet why does he feel she's different?

Inspiration ß My Own

...xXx...

Again. 

Always, it's always her. 

He didn't understand why they always put her on the same assignments. 

"Tao," she greeted shortly. He nodded back, trying to keep calm. 

Angels and devils had never gotten along. They always fought, some periods more violent and others more peaceful. Both sides were trying to get a borderline human to the dark side and light side, depending. 

She looked over a paper in her hand, glasses perched on her nose. 

"Baek Yejin?" she questioned and he nodded again, knowing what she meant.

They were on the same assignment. Again.

"Good luck," she mumbled, looking down on him literally, a change from their normal heights.

"Unnie!" came the loud shout, a scream that was familiar and yet completely foreign. She turned around, plastering a feigned angry look on, exaggerated and so unlike her. 

"Yejin, you're late! Even Junjin was ready before you," she complained, rolling her eyes. 

"Well sorry," Yejin sarcastically threw back, rolling her eyes mockingly before smiling mischievously and hugging him, lifting him up and turning him around.

"Let's get going since I'm ready now then," she eagerly shouted, pumping a fist into the air while balancing him in her other arm. 

"Let's go Noona," he agreed brightly, falling into his role again, like so many times before. He felt Yejin's hand slip from under him and quickly, another arm caught him around the waist, setting him down gently. 

"Yejin you klutz," she scolded their target, eyes genuinely worried. For once. And he's surprised. "Don't drop Junjin."

"I didn't ask him to fall," Yejin threw back, giving a joking and yet apologetic smile. She sighed, unable to stay angry with some of the best acting he's seen on her part. 

The bus appeared then and the three climbed on. She's the first one on and she patted the seat next to her.

"Sit here Yejin," she urged with a bright smile.

"I'll sit there!" he quickly intervened, taking a seat before anyone could say anything otherwise. Experience had taught him that even a minute alone could let her win. "I want to sit next to Soojin-Noona today."

Yejin nodded, laughing, and ruffled his hair as she passed.

"Whatever you want Junjin. There's Bora over there so I'll go sit with her," she excused before half-walking half-jogging over, already shouting to her friend.

"Getting quicker Tao," she mumbled once their target was out of earshot. 

"Your acting is getting better Sooyeon," he muttered back, dropping pretenses. Angels and devils infiltrated in the same way - possession. Once they left, their hosts, the target, and any other interactions would remember the events faintly or with altered memories depending.

"The younger brother this time I see," she stated, a fact rather than a question or comment. "This time I'm the older sister."

He nodded. He always hated talking to her. 

"...This is the first time I look down on you physically," she mused, looking out the window. He took the time to look over her, casting an eye at her odd appearance. He was amazed and yet unpleased with her new look.

Normally, she had her hair up, revealing her slender neck, but now it was down, cascading over her shoulders and only pushed back with a neat headband. Her crystal clear eyes were covered with a pair of glasses, something that reminded him that though she was usually physically shorter, she was older and it showed more with the way she carried herself, even as a 16-year-old. 

She was beautiful, no doubt, but it wasn't her.

And he found it odd - how he felt this, how he knew this at all.

"Hopefully it's the only time," he mumbled back, somehow nervous and unhappy with the newest arrangements. 

"Perhaps," she answered without promise. They rarely chose their assignments after all. She sifted through her host's memories while he did the same. "Seems like I'll be seeing you tonight. There's a thunderstorm."

"You won't," he denied though he knew he probably would. Junjin was scared of thunder and thus, during his time with his host, he would also be scared of thunder. He sifted through the many times Junjin would crawl into Soojin's arms late into the night as she held him close, helping him.

"We'll see," she threw back lightly, turning her gaze to out the window, their discussion finished.

They never did talk for long. 

-oOo-

School went by smoothly. He was almost embarrassed to find how much the 'Jin' family was known to be so attached to each other and he pulled off Junjin's role effortlessly, laughing along his 'friends,' waving to his 'sisters,' and working hard in school - as if he hadn't graduated years ago.

The way back home was the same too, nothing too eventful. For the first day, it was usually like that, surveying the situation, practicing their roles, and adjusting to their target, slowly changing.

Already, he spotted Sooyeon already launching her plan slowly, being a little more quiet and a little more harsh, but he didn't know what direction she was leading their target to. 

There were many ways to win for the devils, but two main ones. Complete despair or complete hate.

His eyes narrowed at the dinner table, surveying her as she laughed at something Yejin said.

What was her goal this time?

-oOo-

Contrary to what he said, he did end up seeing her that night as the thunderstorm made its appearance. He reacted on instinct and he was in her room, crawling into her bed while sobbing before he could realize it. His senses were on overdrive and he hugged her back quickly, his sense of shame overridden by his fear.

She pulled away and a whimper pulled from his throat before she turned around and wrapped her arms around him, holding him close. Her warmth wrapped around him and her heartbeat was right next to his ear, calming and soothing. He was shaking and scared, but her arms around him were steady, soothing, safe

She muttered something, only vibrations from her chest as thunder struck again and he yelped, unable to help it as it was torn from him and unable to help but forget about her drowned words as he himself drowned in her embrace, hiding against the storm.

-oOo-

He paused by the door, feeling embarrassment and shame rush against his cheeks. She would be making fun of him. Or perhaps she would not take him seriously anymore. Or maybe she would-

"Junjin!" his pseudo mother called. Too late to wait and ponder. 

"I'm coming," he shouted, opening the door. He bounded down the steps two at a time, his steps practiced, and slipped at the last one just as hand caught him around the waist.

"You shouldn't run around like that Junjin," a familiar voice reprimanded. He turned to the speaker. He pouted. Of course.

"I will if I want to Soojin-Noona," he complained before remembering who he was. "Especially since you're here."

She smiled, a smile that for some reason wasn't amused nor forced - it was reminiscent, as if she remembered something from a distant memory she hadn't thought of in a while - and he in a breath, surprised. She made sure he had his balance before removing her arm, ruffling his hair fondly and heading to the table.

When she was out of sight, he released a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding and frowned. What was he doing with the enemy? He quickly fell back into his role as his 'mother' called him once again.

-oOo-

It was late in the afternoon, the sun barely painting the sky a red behind the ominous storm clouds. He pursed his lips as he sat on the roof, waiting. It was chilly, but the weather was not as worrying as the reason for the visit. He waited patiently, his eyes constantly wandering to the dark clouds by accident. 

He frowned.

He shouldn't have been affected so much by the fear unless it was prominent in the host. He prayed that he would be able to overcome it later on and fulfill his duties. Angels and devils both implanted thoughts - seeds that would save or condemn - through dreams and so far, neither side had been able to make a move.

"Tao," a familiar voice called as he looked up. The male he saw was tall, a little taller than he was normally, with a stern, handsome face and a well-defined jawline that had other angels filled with lust and envy. He wore a pair of skinny jeans and a plain, white shirt, his swan-like, white wings spreading out behind him.

"Kris-Gege," he recognized, worried but relieved. The male nodded, his face solemn as it always was.

"What's the matter Tao?" Kris asked, floating down and sitting down beside him. His wings folded against his back, lightly, letting its feathers lightly flutter against the wind. He stayed silent for a moment.

"Kris-Gege...is the message you have bad?" he asked softly, nervous about the truth. Kris gave a soft laugh.

"Not bad...just interesting," Kris finally answered, looking at Tao in his host up and down - curious.

"What is it?" Tao questioned, catching Kris's gaze. Kris looked at the sunset, silent for a moment.

"He said only you can bring her back," Kris muttered softly. looking at Tao again.

"Bring who back?" Tao asked, raising an eyebrow with confusion.

"He didn't say. Your assignment maybe?" Kris guessed, just as uninformed.

"I...don't think so," Tao thought aloud, his eyes glancing at the dark clouds.

"Junjin, are you cold?" a familiar voice called out as a familiar person climbed up to the roof, blanket folded in one hand and using the other to carefully grip the sold, smooth tiles of the slanted roof. She stared at Kris with surprise. She opened . Then, she closed it, silent as she sat at the edge of the roof.

"An...angel friend?" she finally questioned, her eyes softening at the newcomer.

Tao nodded. It'd do no good to lie nor would it affect the mission in any way. She was silent a moment then she came over, draping the blanket across his shoulders and across Kris's as well. She walked back to the edge before stopping, turning to them again, silent for a few moments.

"May I ask your name?" she finally asked, hair fluttering lightly against the winter air. The two males looked at each other.

"Kris," the said male answered, giving her a questioning look.

"Kris," she repeated to herself, letting the name roll off her tongue. She turned to them, giving a mysterious smile. "Nice to meet you Kris."

And she was gone.

-oOo-

Again, the storm came and again he found himself unable to overcome his fear, clinging to her for dear life. She let him, wrapping her arms gently around him and wrapping the blanket around both of them, letting the covers come just up past his nose. He felt pathetic and weak, going into the arms of his enemy for comfort, but he couldn't help himself. He was like a moth to light with her, gravitating to her, burying himself in her every time a clap of thunder sounded or flash of lightning lit up the room. 

"Tao?" Sooyeon whispered, her voice uncharacteristically worried. He didn't answer, only shivering silently in her grasp as lightning flashed again.

"Tao," she muttered again, pulling him closer, her voice calmer and more like her usual self. She spoke again just as thunder clapped and again, the words are lost to him, only vibrations drowned by others. 

But faintly, he could almost form the words she said in his head.

"I missed you Tao," he heard all-too-faintly. "I missed you. I missed us."

He didn't hear or feel her try to speak again and until the storm died down, he kept his ear to her chest, listening to that calming heartbeat, a constant in the ever-changing storm.

-oOo-

"What are you up to?" he breathed to himself, lying on the roof and absorbing the sun's rays. He didn't even know what to do himself and he feared failure for the umpteenth time.

"Tao," a familiar voice called. He sat up quickly, surprised.

"Kris-Gege?" Tao recognized, raising an eyebrow as the tall male floated down and took a seat beside him on the roof. "What are you doing here?"

"...I felt like visiting," Kris admitted, giving a half-smile. "Well, that and He wanted a status report on your opponent."

Tao groaned, smacking his forehead.

"I don't even know where to start my own job, let alone what she's doing with hers," Tao grumbled, unable to help the complaint from leaving his lips. "I'm such a bad angel."

"The 'bad angel' could ask the 'good devil' what she's up to," a familiar voice cut in, calm, smooth, and emotionless as always when not in an act. Kris stood, eyes wearily surveying the girl's movements but she held up a hand in peace.

"I am a devil, but even devils have our standards. I am not a warrior nor do I have the strength to be one," she assured, taking a seat between the two males. Kris eyed her for another second before sitting down, his arm falling casually on his knee. "And for the record, I am doing fine in my plan. However, I am not privy to answer what my plan is. Your job is to make her fall in love correctly or channel her negative emotions in an effective manner. It is much...more open than a devil's."

"Not a warrior devil," Kris began. "But a strategist."

"That I do not deny," Sooyeon commented calmly, laying back against the roof as her eyes stared at the sky with half-lidded eyes. "I wish this job would last longer. It's...very..."

She trailed off, letting the thought hang as their psuedo mother's voice called them down.

"I apologize for intruding on your visit. We must be going," Sooyeon gently urged, putting her hand over Tao's and sitting up. Kris was silent for a moment, staring at the female, past her cover and underneath to the devil beneath.

"I'll be back tomorrow," Kris informed lightly before he flew off, leaving Sooyeon and Tao to return to being Soojin and Junjin once again.

-oOo-

Again, that night, it stormed. 

And again, his resolve crumbled and she wrapped his arms around him comfortably. 

Once again, he could hear those words ever-so-faintly and he wondered what they meant.

"Miss you. Miss him. Miss us."

But he has no answers.

-oOo-

The two sat on the roof in relative silence while he wondered what was with the weather lately. 

All these storms, it was maddening.

"Perhaps it's a favor from God," Sooyeon whispered aloud. Angels and devils could read minds, but never each other's. He frowned, puzzled.

"You spoke aloud," she stated simply as if reading his mind.

"What do you mean by that?" Tao dared to question. They both knew what he was referring to.

"...Exactly what I meant," she succinctly answered. "Perhaps God is doing me a favor."

He didn't voice his next question but he didn't need to since she wouldn't answer either way, and they both knew that.

"Yo," Kris's familiar voice greeted.

"Should I assume you'll be visiting often Kris?" Sooyeon questioned, some of her amusement leaking into her voice. 

"We'll see," Kris dryly answered. "I came to see how you guys were doing."

"I can't do anything with all the storms!" Tao admitted, pouting. Sooyeon gave him a wry grin. 

"You're doing more than enough. My plan is on hold because of you," she admitted, flicking him on the forehead. 

"Hey!" Tao complained, but neither angel stopped her; the action wasn't hostile...in fact, it was almost fond. He rubbed his forehead, frowning. "Wait. What do you mean by that?"

"It means I need to nap," she answered, laying down on the cool tiles with Tao on her right and Kris beside him. 

"It's not my fault," Tao mumbled but placed a blanket over her as she curled up on her side. He turned and found Kris looking at him thoughtfully.

"What?" he asked in a near whisper. Kris tilted his head with a frown, sorting the words in his head. 

"Just thinking...she's familiar," he answered slowly, softly. "This-" He gestured vaguely to the group. "-is familiar."

"I'm on assignments with her all the time," Tao pointed out. "Have we never done something like this before?"

"Maybe," Kris admitted, tilting his head again. "But for some reason, I don't think that's what's familiar."

Tao shrugged. 

"Who knows. Maybe we knew each other before when we were alive or something," Tao suggested with a conviction that surprised himself.

"Maybe," Kris agreed silently. The lives angels and devils lived before crossing over were sensitive subjects. Few knew who became angels and devils or for what reason. Some people knew, of course, but the ones who did rarely shared what did occur. It was silent between the trio once more and until dinner, no one moved.

It was only after dinner when he was getting ready for bed that he realized he could have used that time to interact with and influence their target.

-oOo-

That night, it stormed once again. He was determined to stay away and fulfill his assignment but after the third clap of thunder, he was already moving towards her. She welcomed him easily, already adapted to it. She held him close, reassuring him steadily as the rain continued to fall.

Eventually, the storm calmed slightly, dying down to a low rumble, but though even Sooyeon was asleep, Tao was unable to. He looked up at the sleeping female, faintly seeing her devil self underneath her cover. His eyes traced her face, trying to look for that familiarity that Kris had talked about.

Then it came suddenly. 

It was faint - a sudden dream that he had once heard the other angels talk about before; they had all ended up demoted to a regular spirit. 

It was black.

"Zitao! Don't run! You're going to end up hurt!" a voice warned, worry and love painting the voice. 

He recognized the voice. It was Sooyeon's.

"Oh let him be Shuyin-Jie," another voice teased, lower and more carefree.

Kris.

"Yifan, you too! Hey! The two of you get back here!" Sooyeon shouted once more.

The vision ended abruptly, the voices lingering in his head. His eyes shot open, sweat upon his brow.

"Shuyin," he tested, the voice naturally flowing off of his tongue. "Shuyin-Jie."

Her eyes suddenly opened, matching his. Her face morphed into one he hadn't seen on her in a while - the one she had worn when she found out he would be demoted if he didn't succeed soon - one he faintly recognized as panic.

"Don't," she whispered, her voice barely hearable. She pulled him closer as thunder began to rumble again and he welcomed it, wrapping his small arms around her form. "Don't remember Zitao. You can't."

She continued to murmur the warnings into the night until she once again fell asleep. He stared at her, still awake, and finally brought himself to speak.

"Why not?"