Super Natural: Ghosts - Unfinished

Genesis (Volume 01)

Rumors kept her safe.

Lies kept him away.

But curiosity brought him back.

And that was the end of the cat.

Inspiration ß Issho ni Neyou yo (manga) by Takao Shigeru

...xXx...

She walked down the hallway alone, books in her arms and glasses on her nose. No one dared stand in her way.

"Ghosts? Who believes in that stuff?"

She didn't pay comments or side conversations any mind.

"Sh! She'll hear you! She curses people don't you know?"

She flipped the page of her book, pointedly ignoring the people around her.

"I don't believe in curses!"

She closed her book, evidently done with the chapter.

"I didn't either until I transferred here!"

She paused for a minute, stepping over a foot left out to trip her.

"She's sent kids to hospitals and once, she even killed when they talked back."

Somone crashed into her, sending her papers flying.

"Did she kill them by her own hands?"

She tucked a loose strand of her long hair behind her ear and picked up the papers silently.

"No, but she told the kid to not go home."

She stayed silent and her emotionless mask stayed in place while the kids around her jeered.

"So what?"

She reached and narrowly retracted her hand just as a foot stomped on her paper.

"The kid was found murdered the next day at his house and the killer's still at large."

She stood up unperturbed and continued walking.

"That's so...creepy."

Creepy. (A vision of a woman in black, hair flying, eyes wide, a silver blade.) Yes. (A sudden large splash of black, crimson, liquid, solid.) I suppose I am.

-oOo-

"There's a transfer student from China coming in so make him feel at home you hear?" the homeroom teacher interrupted, slamming his books on his desk.

"Yeah," the class chorused except one. The teacher sighed.

"Choi Sooyeon you too," he ordered specifically, giving a pointed look to the lone student in the corner. She looked up from her book, giving the class a quick look over.

"Yessir," she mumbled, eyes returning to her book. The teacher and the students let out breaths of relief without even realizing. There was a knock on the door.

"Come on in," the homeroom teacher answered. The door slid open and there was a loud thump.

"Ow," the transfer student complained. The class gaped. He was taller than any other student and even the doorway. He had three piercings in each ear, a chain necklace, and black hair that hung over dark eyes and prominent eye bags, a scowl etched onto his face.

Whispers immediately broke out over the class.

"Do you see those piercings?"

"A delinquent maybe?"

"Someone's an insomniac."

"Introduce yourself," the homeroom teacher urged, giving a nervous smile.

"My name is Tao," he introduced gruffly, his accent prominent in his tone. The teacher looked around the room, finally pointing to the seat beside Sooyeon.

"That'll be your seat Tao," the teacher directed before turning his back to the class, already beginning his lesson. However, the class was already whispering.

"Next to her?"

"Man, he's dead."

"Who knows?"

"Do you think he'll beat her up first?"

"Or maybe she'll curse him before that."

A loud chair screech broke their conversation.

"Bathroom," Sooyeon excused herself shortly, turning and leaving in complete silence. She paused by the doorway and not a soul breathed until finally she pointed at the boy in the middle, the one who had first spoken.

"Stay away from the roof."

Then she left, leaving behind chaos and ignoring the usual eyes on her plus an extra pair, a new curious pair.

-oOo-

She sat in the shade of a tree, book open in her lap and lunchbox in her hands. No one else passed nearby.

A presence made itself known, standing firmly beside her.

"Need anything?" she questioned, not looking away from her book. There was silence. She said nothing else and neither did he. She waited patiently until finally he spoke.

"Wh...Where's the way back to class?"

She looked up, evidently shocked then looked away. She closed her book, shut her lunch, and stood, brushing herself off.

"Didn't the teacher take you out on a tour today?" she questioned, obviously amused. 

"But I forgot," he admitted bashfully, slipping naturally into his native language. His eyes widened. "You speak Mandarin?"

"Enough I suppose," she answered shortly. She was at least half of his size and much smaller than most of the students in his class. "More importantly, don't talk to me after."

"Why not?" he questioned, tilting his head to one side as he began following after her short but swift strides. 

A scream pierced through the air as they came to the gates. A crowd gathered in a hesitant circle around the lawn, loud voices mixing in with confusion as an ambulance siren was heard a few streets down. Teachers kept the students from getting too close, the boy from before covered in blood, a girl draped across his body in tears. She cried to the heavens, looking up and screaming in dispair before catching sight of Sooyeon and Tao.

"It's all your fault!" a girl screamed, her declaration silencing all other noises. She stood up, running closer. "All your fault! All your fault! All your fault!"

Sooyeon did not run and Tao did not move, frozen in place.

"It's all your fault!" the girl screeched, clawing at Sooyeon. Her hands naturally wrapped around Sooyeon's neck, applying pressure as she pushed the shorter to the floor. "It's all your fault!" 

Sooyeon's expression did not change, not fighting nor resisting physically. Teachers caught sight of the spectacle and pried her off. 

"Hey hey! You ok?" her homeroom teacher questioned. Sooyeon slapped away hands of help, standing tall once again.

"I'm fine," she declined resolutely. It could have been seconds, minutes, or hours, but she stood there calmly, watching, as the ambulance came, towing away both the boy and girl, as the teachers herded the students back inside but left her alone, as the sun slowly began to set and everyone went back to class.

Finally, she turned back to him.

"This is why. The class is the third door on the right from the second floor stairs. Don't talk to me anymore Zitao," Sooyeon warned before walking off, her bag still in the classroom and the bruises on her neck darkening. 

-oOo-

"Did you hear?"

She walked passed judging eyes.

"Yeah. She cursed Hyungsik."

She stopped by her locker, pushing past the threat letters with ease.

"Poor guy. Doesn't she have a soul?"

She shut it resolutely, not looking anyone in the eye.

"She's a witch, remember?"

She pulled open her book.

"Jihyun's so devastated."

She turned the page.

"At least he didn't die."

She dodged an attempt at tripping her.

"But he can't play basketball ever again."

Someone crashed into her but she straightened immediately.

"I heard he can't even walk anymore."

"Good morning Jiejie!" a voice called, silencing the entire corridor. No one moved then ever so slowly, Sooyeon turned around, raising an eyebrow.

"Good morning Zitao," she stated softly, her face as expressionless as always. "I thought I said not to talk to me."

He beamed and for a moment, everyone forgot about the rumors of him - delinquent, gang member, druggy, depression - because he looked...good, a little silly yes but definitely handsome when he smiled.

"Why should I Jie? You were warning the boy from before, right?" Tao pointed out, smiling still.

And for the first time in the many years the students had seen her, Sooyeon gave a small smile in return, only a short flash, a small upturn of her lips, but it was definitely there. And they gaped more. 

"If that's what you want to believe," she stated non-commitedly before turning around and walking off. There was silence until her footsteps were heard no more. Then people began crowding around the male.

"Wow dude! That was awesome!"

"You're pretty brave!"

"Let's trade numbers!"

But even while he smiled, happy that his classmates didn't hate him, his mind lingered on that smile and ran it over many times in his mind.

-oOo-

The bell rang and, as always, Sooyeon stood first, lunchbox and book in her hand.

"Jie! Let's each lunch together!" Tao urged, catching up easily to the short female. Other students pointed the duo out, wondering what he was saying but also what he was doing and why.

"Zitao," Sooyeon addressed calmly, not denying him company although he often saw the warnings in her eyes. Other times though, he saw a hint of something - something knowledgeable about her. "I'm only a few months older than you."

There it was again.

"But Jie~" Tao whined, giving her his best puppy dog look. "You won't tell me the name you use in Mandarin!"

There was a pause.

"Shuying...Zhou Shuying," Sooyeon muttered, a light blush brushing against her cheeks.

"Zhou Shuying," Tao repeated. He smiled. "How do you write it?"

"Zhou like in Zhou Dynasty (周), Shu as in kind and gentle (淑), Ying as in flower petal or hero (英)," Sooyeon answered, drawing the characters in the air with her finger. His lips turned upward at the cute action.

"You're adorable Jie," he voiced aloud, pleased when he saw her blush, a faint pink that painted her face.

"Zitao," she called strictly, turning to him. "Don't call me Jie...and don't say things like that. I'm not adorable."

"But I think you are," he insisted. She scowled, the pink on her face turning a darker shade.

"Whatever makes you happy Zitao," she muttered, turning on her heel and continuing her walk to the area under the large tree at the back of the school - the place where she always spent her breaks. He followed right after her.

-oOo-

Days turned to weeks and weeks blended into months. It was to the point that people grew accustomed to Tao trailing after Sooyeon and speaking excitedly, like a child, in Mandarin. People who knew Mandarin and caught snatches of their conversation never quite understood what exactly Tao's obsession with the small female was; she wasn't exactly friendly or popular.

"Jie, do you want to come over then?" Tao asked, smiling.

"Zitao, you've been asking for weeks now and my answer hasn't changed. I'm not coming," Sooyeon answered coolly, her face betraying nothing. "And I told you my Chinese name. Stop persisting in calling me Jie."

"Aw! But Jie!" Tao complained, pausing in his step. Sooyeon paused for half a step but continued on her walk. Tao pouted after her; she usually, despite her harsh words, stopped when he stopped and made sure he was alright.

"I don't get why you keep on talking to her," a familiar voice commented beside him. He faced the speaker.

"She's nice," Tao stated simply, leaning on the wall. "You don't understand because you're still bitter Hyungsik-Ge. Most of this school doesn't understand either and those who could, ignore her."

"They have good reason," Hyungsik pointed out bitterly. "have good reason. It's a miracle I can still walk."

"Did you know?" Tao began, catching Hyungsik's attention. "That at least once a day, she tells me to stop bothering her - even after all these months. She doesn't want my reputation to be sullied or whatever I guess. Whenever she does those...curses, I don't think she's actually cursing people."

"Then what could she be doing?" Hyungsik retorted, frowning.

"Warning," Tao answered. "She told you to not go on the roof. Then you did and you fell. Normally, if you curse people, shouldn't you tell them to go there instead? She was telling you to stay away."

"I still don't trust her...I trust you though," Hyungsik admitted.

"Join us for lunch some time. She's nicer than you think. Really," Tao invited, smiling. 

"Maybe," Hyungsik stated, not promising. "I might bring Jihyun too."

"I don't want her there though," Tao stated with a frown. 

"Why not?" Hyungsik questioned, puzzled. 

"The first time I saw the two in the same area, Jihyun tried to kill Jie. Since then, it's just been bitter words and looks," Tao explained, looking Hyungsik in the eye, as if challenging him to say something different. Hyungsik understood.

"I'll make sure she promises to be good if she comes," Hyungsik promised. 

The bell rang, interrupting their conversation. They waited until the halls were less crowded before finally heading for class again.

"See you later," Hyungsik stated first, waving. He turned to the front just as he crashed into someone, dropping their book.

"Oh sorry," he apologized, leaning down to pick up the piece of literature. He held it out to the person only to realize who it was - Sooyeon.

He bit his tongue to keep from saying anything he might regret, thinking about Tao's words.

"So...uh...To Kill A Mockingbird, is it good?" Hyungsik questioned, blurting out the first non-offensive conversation-carrier he could think of. She glanced at the book then locked eyes with him, making him nervous as she stayed silent. Her eyes shined with the maturity of an adult, wisdom soaking in her gaze with...was that apprehension?

Lightly, she held the book and his hand, observing him for a moment as he stiffened, still somewhat fearful since the incident. She glanced to the side and met his eyes once more.

"Keep it," she stated finally, letting go. She walked passed him, leaving him in the hallway alone. He held the small book in his hands silently and in a moment of impulsiveness, stuck the book in his jacket pocket and hurried to his class before the final bell could ring.

-oOo-

"Jie!" Tao called excited, catching up to the female. She stopped, turning to face him.

"Why are you here Zitao? The teacher asked you to stay during lunch and get extra Korean help," Sooyeon pointed out, sighing. 

"I promised him I'd come after school," Tao admitted, chuckling. "He didn't want to give up his lunch break either. Anyways, guess what Jie?"

She sighed.

"What Zitao?" she repeated. "Did you remember to bring money for your lunch finally?

"Aw man! I knew I was forgetting something," Zitao muttered to himself before brightening. "Nope! Today, someone else is joining us for lunch!

Her eyes narrowed.

"Zitao I don't thi-

"It'll be fine Jie! Trust me on this one! Hey Hyungsik-Ge! Come on over!" Tao shouted, alerting not only the called male, but the entire hallway of his intentions. 

"Tao you're so loud," Hyungsik complained, walking over quickly. "You might as well put up a neon sign when you want to speak."

"You wouldn't have been able to find me otherwise," Tao retorted, grinning childishly. Hyungsik rolled his eyes as the three began to make their way down the halls - the female of the trio a considerable distance ahead of the other two.

"I could spot your head from the next building," Hyungsik teased, punching Tao in the shoulder. "You have to stop growing. Better yet, give me a few inches."

"You're tall enough Ge," Tao pointed out, laughing. "If I gave anyone a few inches, it might be Jie. And that's a maybe."

"Why a maybe?" Hyungsik asked with genuine curiosity. He glanced down at the girl, meeting her eyes; both were quite aware of the height difference between them. 

"Because she's cute the way she is already," Tao declared shamelessly. Sooyeon's face turned pink and slightly, her head tilted lower, a strand of hair falling over her shoulder. 

"Sometimes I wonder where your shame went," Hyungsik admitted with a sigh. He shot a jokingly exasperated look towards the girl - an action he often did with his friends - and was surprised to see her lips tilt upward as though attempting a grin. 

The three sat in the shade of the large tree, pulling out their lunches to eat. More specifically, Hyungsik opened the cafeteria meal - a sandwich, a bottle of water, and a bag of chips - while Sooyeon laid the different layers of a stacked lunch in the grass. She snapped open a pair of chopsticks and handed them to Tao, pulling out a reusable plastic pair with a floral design for her own use. 

They were silent for a moment, Hyungsik observing Tao who supplied the conversation in a curious mix of Mandarin-Korean and Sooyeon who listened - really and fully listened, in a way not even his own girlfriend would provide him if he had been speaking about basketball the way Tao was currently. 

"So you two can ignore me if I'm talking nonsense, but are you two dating?" Hyungsik questioned, raising an eyebrow. Sooyeon turned full-on red, her face frozen in a mix of embarrassment and surprise while Tao looked thoughtful.

"Are we?" the boy asked, turning to Sooyeon.

"No!" Sooyeon denied vehemently, slamming her hands in the grass with undeniable panic. "He and I-We're-This-"

Cutting herself off, she stood. Her skin was pale and her knuckles white with the intensity of her grip. 

"I have to go," she excused, brushing past the duo just near enough for her sleeve to brush against their shoulders. Hyungsik looked to Tao, a question in his eyes, but no answer.