Fanfiction: Katekyo Hitman Reborn 01

Genesis (Volume 01)

It had been from a moment of pity.

The buds had turned to blooms.

The process would not be easy.

Yet prosperity looms.

Inspiration ß Katekyo Hitman Reborn (manga) by Amano Akira

...xXx...

Feet padded down the long wooden halls, her gait calm and silent. Deadly. Efficient. 

Louder sounds overtook her own and she need not turn to see who it was.

Only one person would dare run through the halls so haphazardously- 

A second pair of footsteps followed.

-and only two people, when together, would dare disturb the peace with their squabbles. 

"Yuki! Get back here!" a distinctively male voice shouted, the female stopping and looking to the chase.

"No thanks Akashi!" Yuki threw back, her long braids whipping behind her as she stuck her tongue out at the male. "I don't need you to skin me alive!"

"If you know you deserve it, then get back here!" Akashi ordered, waving a fist. Yuki blew him a raspberry and turned forward just as a hand came upon her shoulder and stopped her rampage. Yuki looked up and paled as Akashi slowed, laughing nervously.

"Oh hey Shizuko-kaasan," Yuki greeted nervously, looking up at the female. "What's up?"

Shizuko tilted her head to the side, eyes skimming over the two.

"What's going on now?" Shizuko asked simply, noting how Yuki glanced away and Akashi chuckled sheepishly.

"Well-"

"Akashi started it!" Yuki accused first, the words tumbling out of .

"What?!" Akashi squeaked, frowning. "It was so not my fault! You're the one who tore my book!"

"I told you I'd buy you another one!"

"I didn't want another one! I wanted that one!"

"Well you started chasing me!"

"Well-"

"Calm down, the both of you," Shizuko cut in, knowing a fight was escalating when she saw one. "Let's both apologize and end the feud."

The two looked grudgingly to each other.

"I didn't mean to rip your book," Yuki apologized, kicking the ground.

"And I'm sorry for chasing you," Akashi admitted, holding out a hand. "We good?"

Yuki grinned, taking the offered gesture.

"Yeah. We're good," Yuki agreed. The young duo turned to Shizuko, eyes bright and grins wide. 

"So how was your latest mission?" Akashi asked eagerly. "Fight any bad guys?"

"If she did, they aren't a problem anymore," Yuki reminded, looking up to the elder female. Shizuko gave the two a smile.

"I can't say without Sawada-sama's permission," Shizuko reminded, patting the both of them on the head. "Don't run in the halls. I'll see you two later."

She kissed the two on the top of their heads and walked away.

"And she wonders why we call her Okaa-san," Akashi muttered. 

"Right?" Yuki added, chuckling. 

-oOo-

She took in a deep breath and raised a fist to knock.

"Come in," a familiar voice rumbled before she could. She opened the door and entered the room, her eyes skimming over the contents of the familiar room before locking onto her boss's. 

"Sawada-sama," she greeted, bowing politely. "I have returned."

"Welcome home," her boss greeted, smiling in such a way that the wrinkles upon his brow crinkled as though his entire being was happy. He gestured to the chair in front of him, the matching furniture just as bright as his smile. She took the offered seat, waiting. "So Shizuko-chan, I know you don't visit officially without reason. What is the matter?"

"Sawada-sama," she called, her lips pursing involuntarily. "The mission you have sent me on previously..."

"You have finished?" he asked, standing abruptly with wide hopeful eyes. "Then by all means, please, give me the whole story. This...This is-"

"Sawada-sama," she interrupted firmly, eyes locking onto his. "He is no longer with us." 

The elderly man paused, slowly composing himself.

"What...do you mean?" he finally asked, reseating himself. He put a hand to his forehead, his face shielded to her and directed to the ground. "Please...speak."

"As you know, you have sent me on a mission to search for the heir to the Famiglia," Shizuko reminded, eyes politely diverted from his mourning face. "Without any prior knowledge, I set out on finding out what happened to the future Head, gathering information of my own volition. Looking for someone without a set description was...tough. Despite my difficulties, however, I am quite sure that he is no longer with us."

She paused, looking up at her boss between her lashes. Her eyes dropped once more, forcing the next words out. 

"Sir, giving me no description and sending me on this long chase...did you...expect his death?" she questioned, looking up to him carefully. The man took in a deep breath and sighed, letting out a bitter chuckle. 

"I couldn't hide this from you for long, Shizuko-chan," the male complimented, looking up and giving her a smile - one weaker than before but still strong, the same tenacity still hiding beneath his unshed tears. "He has been gone for years, longer than you have been here. He hadn't been enthusiastic about becoming the next Head, that silly son of mine, but he had never shied away from his duty either. When he disappeared one day without a trace, I assumed so."

He stood, Shizuko following suit. 

"A job well done once more," he complimented, taking her hand in both of his. "But tell me this Shizuko-chan, what piece of evidence ensures his death?" 

Shizuko hesitated and he noticed. 

"Shizuko-chan?" he called cautiously. She bit her tongue before speaking.

"Sawada-sama, he...his dead body. I...found it," she stated slowly, hesitating. "It was...underneath the Sawada home - clothes, gloves, and all." 

The man paled and she realized the gravity of the situation.

There was either a highly-trained assassin who could bypass the Sawada security or a traitor in their midst. 

-oOo-

"Akashi!" Yuki's shout rang down the halls. Shizuko continued to seep her tea calmly, ignoring the loud screams behind her. 

"That was payback!" Akashi proclaimed, their footsteps loud on the stairs. Shizuko turned around, the coffee mug in her hand, and took a seat in the living room, the TV to the news channel.

"Anything important on, Takuya-kun?" she asked the male spectator. He turned to her, a smile lighting his face despite the chaos from the duo behind them. 

"Oh Shizuko-chan," he greeted with an incline of his head. Yuki shoved Akashi to the floor. "Nothing much. The Fuyu and Homura family have confirmed their visit for this weekend and the Amaya family stopped by eariler to drop off the things you ordered."

"Arigato," she thanked, finishing off her tea and leaving the mug in the sink. Akashi and Yuki exchanged blows in the hallway nearby.

"Since you aren't enjoying your morning drink slowly, I'm assuming that you're off on another mission?" Takuya guessed, sparing the female a glance. 

"If that is what Sawada-sama wishes," she confirmed, pulling on the jacket that had been hung on her arm as she entered the hallway. She paused, separating the young duo. "Yuki-chan. Akashi-kun. What have I said about fighting in the halls?" 

The two looked up to her guiltily. 

"No fighting," the pair chorused. She sighed, mussed both of their hairs, and left with a wave.

"Stay out of trouble."

"Oi! Trouble finds us ok?" Yuki retorted at the same time Akashi declared, "Huh? You're telling me?"

The two glared at each other but, fortunately, did not start another fight as Shizuko turned the corner, her feet taking her to her destination. 

She stared at the wood of the door, recalling bitterly the incident three months ago. It had been three months since the body's discovery yet the devastated face of her benefactor never escaped her mind and at times, she could still see the faint traces of tears on his face. The previous heir was truly worthy to the Sawada name and it had hurt her to know he had been murdered without once shouldering its burden and grace in its entirety. 

She raised a hand to knock.

"Come in," the familiar, calming voice called before she could make a sound. She entered cautiously as before, taking the seat once offered. 

"Sawada-sama," she greeted, eyes glancing to the ancient analog clock hung on the wall. "It is early for a usual mission debriefing."

He looked to her carefully.

"Shizuko-chan, you have been serving our family for how long now?" he asked meaningfully. 

"It has been 17 of my 21 years Sawada-sama," she reminded, slightly curious about the inquiry. 

"Do you love our family?" he questioned.

"Hai." No hesitation. 

"Even though we don't always do lawful things?"

"Hai." No doubt. 

"Despite the impact on our daily lives?"

"Hai." No mistake. 

The elder male closed his eyes carefully, taking in a calm breath before opening them again. 

"Shizuko-chan, this may be a lot to ask, but this weekend, many families are coming to mourn for...our deceased," he started. She nodded, recalling Takuya's mention of it. "But they are also coming to honor the new Heir I am appointing."

"It would be my honor to protect the new Heir," she stated, understanding immediately. He chuckled and suddenly her understanding wasn't quite so clear. 

"Shizuko-chan, you have so little faith," he teased, eyes lighting up with amusement. 

"Sawada-sama, I do not understand. If I am not protecting the Heir, then why are you telling me? What...?" she trailed off. No. She blinked. 

He smiled, as if he could read her mind.

"Shizuko-chan, I want you to be the new Heir," he requested. 

She blinked slowly and her mind began to shut down, step by step, until everything turned white. 

-oOo-

She heard her surroundings before she awoke - Akashi and Yuki arguing again, Takuya humming that tune he had grown addicted to. She opened her eyes slowly, taking a few tries before she could absorb the setting - the living room on the couch. 

She met eyes with Takuya first.

"I haven't seen you faint like that since the first time you came," he teased, a smile painting his face. 

"Shut up," she muttered, turning pink. She sat up slowly. "It's not like I...expected the news."

He chuckled once more, catching the attention of others.

"You're up!" Yuki proclaimed with obvious relief, her head poking out from behind the sofa.

"Takuya-niisan said she would," Akashi pointed out, rolling his eyes though there was some relief in his own expression.

"She used to do it a lot," Takuya teased, dodging the pillow that flew his way.

"I grew used to the Famiglia though," Shizuko excused, her hand automatically reaching out towards the coffee mug that appeared in her field of vision. She looked to its giver and then blinked. 

"Junjie?" she recognized, unable to help the surprise in her voice. "I thought that you were-"

"I came back early," he answered shortly, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. Slowly, his hand came to her face, barely touching her cheek, and she seemed to tense slightly before relaxing into his feather touch. "I heard you fainted."

"I'm fine," she reassured, turning slightly pink. The expression was not lost on any of the audience members and she gave them a warning glance before turning back to him. "They're letting you roam free?"

"I have the...pleasure of watching over him," a voice stated with obvious displeasure. Shizuko's eyes focused on the newcomer and Junjie pulled away, taking a few polite steps back to give her room. 

"Romi-chan," Shizuko recognized, a half-smile brushing against her face. 

"I'm glad to hear that you're alright," Romi stated sincerely, pushing her hair over her shoulder. "I've been assigned as Junjie's...guide for his stay."

"I'll take over for you if you're so adverse," Shizuko offered, looking to the taller female with worry. 

"I think you are too skillful for this petty job," Romi declined politely, her words resounding in another way. I think you deserve better than him

"If it is the wish of Sawada-sama, I shall do anything," Shizuko reminded. My life belongs to the Famiglia

"Ok reunion is over," Yuki declared, waving her hands wildly. "Akashi, Takuya, show the guests to their rooms, k? I'll take Shizuko-kaachan to her room to rest a bit."

The group split and holding the warm mug in her hand, Shizuko wordlessly stood and allowed Yuki to 'guide' her. The trip began silently but halfway up, as Shizuko expected, Yuki revealed her true intentions.

"So, that assassin, Junjie," Yuki began carefully. "He's...cute?"

"Your attempt at extracting information needs work," Shizuko commented, her lips pulling upward when the girl began to pout. Shizuko sighed before continuing. "He and I met while trying to kill each other on my undercover mission in China a few years back. He turned me in, I escaped, and we met again as comrades when I was working alongside the Zhou family a few months after."

"And?" Yuki pressed on, looking to the female with curiosity. 

"That's it," Shizuko stated simply. "He merely sells his talents to the highest bidder while I serve the Famiglia. We meet up occasionally as allies or enemies."

"But-"

"Now that should be enough to satisfy your curiosity for one night," Shizuko interrupted calmly. She stopped, pointing at the door behind her. "We are at my room and I plan on resting before facing Sawada-sama in the morning."

Her hand wrapped around the handle.

"You're going to accept, right?" Yuki questioned hopefully. Shizuko paused and turned slightly to Yuki, the knob turning under her light push.

"I need my rest in order to argue my way out," Shizuko admitted lightly, entering the room before another word could be said. The door shut behind her, cutting off Yuki's desperate "But-!" in the background.

Shizuko breathed, looking at the ring on her finger. She concentrated and an orange flame lit its jewel. She watched the Cielo (Sky) Flame flicker before she allowed it to fade. Serving...that had been all that she knew and she wouldn't - couldn't - make such large decisions for the family; she couldn't hold the fate of the family alone.

Sawada-sama had to understand that.

...xXx...

Yuki 

Akashi 

Shizuko 

Future Head (deceased) 
 

Current Head 

Terada Takuya 

Qin Junjie 

Park Romi