Request: Got Game?

Genesis (Volume 01)

It was a simple question...

...Think you got game?

The confrontation...

...gave them a name.

Commissioner ß AthleticShawol

...xXx...

If there was one thing that she loved more than food, it was basketball (and she really really loved food so that was saying something). 

A drop of sweat ran down the side of her face, flying into the air as she swerved suddenly and bypassed her assigned guard. Her eyes flickered momentarily to the position of the other players as she ran. It was her body that moved before her mind as she dodged the attempted steal of another player in the way, turning on her heel quickly and throwing the ball with one hand the way she always did. She watched as the ball went in, earning her team another 2 points with her layup.

The whistle blew, officially ending the game. It had been close with 49-50 and they had won with her last shot. She smirked.

"Yes!" came the familiar high-pitched cheer of the youngest of the team as two (sweaty) arms wrapped around her waist. "We won!"

"Of course we did," she declared, a bit of feigned arrogance in her tone as she often had to tease. "After all, I'm here."

"Whatever you say," another member teased, giving her a congratulatory pat on the shoulder. "That last layup was nice by the way. Been working on your form?"

"To kick your one-on-one later," she threw back jokingly. The team whole-heartedly laughed at her words, used to her teasing but amused all the same. 

"Hey," a low voice called out, interrupting their glee. "I'm guessing you guys are new in town. You're on our court."

"I don't see your names on it," she pointed out, raising an eyebrow at the group of six blond boys. Six. Blond. Boys. What in the world?

The one in the middle drew a finger to the center of the court where, amidst the other marks of graffiti, three letters stood out. 

"We're B.A.P," the male introduced, smirking. "It stands for Best Absolute Perfect since we've never lost a game."

"I'm Soojung, center. Like you thought, we are new in town but we won't remain that way for long," she introduced, her blood boiling. She looked to the referee of their recent game. "Hey Umma, referee for us?"

"Who said we wanted to play you guys? We could just kick you guys off our court," another of the boys pointed out, flicking his hair haughtily. 

"The court is a part of public facilities," the female referee pointed out as she walked nearer, pushing up her glasses. "Removing us from the premises without proper violation of rules is prohibited."

"Stick in the mud," one of the boys muttered. 

"Blond Aboriginal Peasants," the girl threw back, unimpressed. "Best Absolute Perfect doesn't make grammatical sense in English. Brush up on your skills and prepare for your future before criticizing others."

The girls chuckled. 

"What? Glad you sound smart?" the boy snorted, drawing closer. 

"At least I know the implications of the words coming out of my mouth," the female referee threw back without missing a beat. 

"Hey Umma. Go easy on them," Soojung teased, chuckling. She turned to the boy. "She's the smartest kid in our grade at our school and you're picking a verbal fight with her? Good luck."

"All ten of us are the top students of our school Soojung," the spectacled female pointed out, rolling her eyes. "Don't place all the academic importance on me. You are number two may I remind you?"

"Yeah but I studied the day before the tests. You, I will point out, finished the Lord of the Rings series instead," Soojung retorted, smirking. She turned to the boys, dropping the topic. "We may not have a group name that doesn't make sense, but we have confidence all the same. Want to test it?"

The boys smirked.

"Think you got game?" the first boy questioned. "You're only a bunch of girls."

And chaos ensued.

-oOo-

Soojung looked around the court, glad the game from before had helped her warm up most of her muscles. Miyoung, the small forward, stood on the three-point line, stretching. Meanwhile, Dari, the team's point guard, was warming up near the center of the court, shaking out her limbs and bouncing on her toes as she always did before a game. At the same time, Hyelim, the power forward, and Ahri, the shooting guard, stood opposite from each other on the left side of the court, eyes scanning their opponents with one a bit more hostility than the other. 

The boys were all blond and though they had all introduced themselves, it was hard to remember all their names so quickly. Yongguk was the eldest, the leader, and the small forward on the other team judging by his position on the court. (Silently, she wondered how big of a surprise Miyoung's skills would be to him.) Himchan, the most decent personality-wise of the guys, stood as the point guard while Jongup exchanged glares with Ahri as the shooting guard. The youngest but tallest Junhong looked over the team with what seemed to be sheer boredom as the power forward but the girls recognized the underlying glint in his eyes; he was not weak. 

Umma, on the other hand...

"16th president of the United States?" the boy - Youngjae - questioned, looking up answers on his phone. 

"Abraham Lincoln," the short female - Sooyeon - answered without hesitation, throwing an eye over the court. "He's gained popularity through his debates with Senator Douglass which allowed his election in 1860. His inauguration began the secession of the Southern states in the first place but he disliked war. He freed the slaves of the rebelling Confederate states during the Civil War but did not in the allied border states with the Emancipation Proclamation. His most famous speech is the Gettysburg Address. He was to see oversee the Reconstruction of the Southern states after the war's end but was assassinated by John Booth in 1865 and was succeeded by his Vice President Johnson. The Southern states at first celebrated his death but later mourned upon realizing that his moderation would have benefitted them."

"The integral of 6 ( x - 1 ) from x = 0 to x = 5?" he quizzed, moving onto the next problem without break. 

"45," Sooyeon tossed back, taking only a second to calculate. 

"Argh! Will you shut up?!" another girl from the stands cried out, throwing a basketball at the boy.

Youngjae moved to dodge too late and winced, resigned to his fate, but a hand caught the ball before it made contact. He trailed his eyes along the arm, tilting his head slightly upon seeing his savior. 

"Don't complain too much Seungyeon," Sooyeon scolded lightly, throwing the ball back. She turned to Youngjae. "I'll accompany your amused challenges after the game. Until then, please avoid distracting me."

His eyes followed her to the court. 

Her own eyes narrowed. She didn't like how he was looking at her Umma. She opened but at that moment, the said female went to the center of the court, whistle in and basketball in hand. 

The game was starting and suddenly, the incident was pushed to the back of her mind for the moment (to be stored until later when she would silently kill the boy with the other girls). 

She tensed her legs, eyes glaring to the boy across from her - Daehyun, fellow center, pest, and the one who had given that prejudiced question. 

The whistle resounded and she jumped, eyes on the ball.

-oOo-

Her blood sang in her veins, sweat leaking from every pore in her body. She grunted when Daehyun stepped on her foot none-too-lightly and looked around, ball dribbling in her hands.

The boys, she hated to admit, were good. They were strangely honest in their playing but that didn't mean they were against fouls or any physical play. However, they also tried hard and weren't above living up to their mistakes - as demonstrated when Junhong's shoot fell a few centimeters from the basket, Daehyun's rebound missed by centimeters as she stole it, Jongup's slip-up when trying to block her, Yongguk's crash into Miyoung in his haste, and Himchan's miss in stealing the ball from her. They had good sportsmanship...for street basketball.

An elbow buried itself into her side insistently but she persisted in blocking stupid Daehyun's attempts to escape her. She placed a light, 'accidental' hit on his side in return, smirking when his eyes looked down with challenge to hers. The game became more physical as time progressed. The elbow in her side became near permanent and her nails dug into the skin of his arm without regret. He butted heads with her once. Twice. Thrice. She retaliated and added her own 'accidents' where she stepped on his feet. 

"Cheat," she muttered to him.

"Like you're any better," he hissed back. The ball bounced on the ground, his possession at the moment. He clawed at it but his arm came up, blocking her. She growled, 'accidentally' stepping on his ankle as his elbow 'accidentally' ground into her side. Her eyes obstinately stuck to the ball as they fought, their feet moving in an aggressive battle for the prize. She guarded him once more, her breath coming in larger pants now. The game was drawing long.

She looked around the court for but a moment, satisfied that her teammates were successful in their own guardings, when a sudden crash into her side sent her tumbling to the ground, losing her breath. 

"Back off!" Sooyeon shouted, pushing back the two teams from her form. "Hey Soojung. Stand up. Playing dead's not going to get you a free shot."

"Aw man Umma. Saw that?" she joked, standing without a single wince. "I still think that deserved at least one free throw Umma. That was so unfair."

"Ball possession left before the crash," Sooyeon contradicted, rolling her eyes. 

"Ummm...Soojung? I don't think you should play anymore," Miyoung stated, cringing. 

"Why?" she questioned, frowning. "I feel fine."

"You're on an adrenaline high," Sooyeon pointed out, sighing. "I'll get my first aid kit. Go wash your wounds over at the water fountain. You - Daehyun - walk her."

"It's not my fault she fell," the boy muttered, rolling his eyes. 

"Walk," Sooyeon ordered, eyes narrowing. With a soft grumble he did so, grabbing Soojung by the wrist and pulling her along. He let go after a few steps, shoving his hands in his pockets. She observed her wounds - thin but strangely deep cuts a few inches long on each of her elbows and a scrape on one knee where she had fallen hard.

"This is why I don't play with girls. They're such drama queens," he muttered as they walked.

"This cut is really unusual," she voiced aloud, ignoring his complaint. "How did it even cut this cleanly like that? And both elbows only have one cut each. Wow."

He looked over her with wary eyes.

"Are you not in pain?" he questioned, raising an eyebrow. 

"Well it hurts but I won't die over a little pain," she answered, turning on the water with one hand while running it on the wound on the other. "Besides, I think compared to when I fell out that window and landed on the broken glass, this isn't that bad." 

"How'd that happen?" he asked, more for small talk than actual concern. 

"Someone bumped into me and when I straightened myself out, I finally noticed the glass bottle flying my way and in my haste to dodge, tripped and fell out the window," she summarized, shrugging. She switched hands. "It wasn't as bad as the doctor made it seem what with all those bandages but it's gone and over now. I still have a few scars from then."

"Sounds fun," he stated with sarcasm.

"Very," she agreed jokingly, lifting up her leg.

"What are you doing?!" he shouted, his voice raising a few octaves. She looked at him strangely. 

"Washing my scrape," she answered, tilting her head. He had his hands shoved in his pockets and was looking away, his ears red. "What else?"

"You-You're wearing a skirt! Have some self-consciousness," he spat, his eyes meeting hers but not straying elsewhere. 

"I'm wearing shorts under," she pointed out, lifting her skirt to show the black of her gym shorts under. "See?"

"That's not etiquette!" he shrieked, his voice going higher once more. She stared at him for a moment longer before bursting into full-blown laughter.

"Don't be so crude," she teased, focusing on her wound. "It's not like I'm stripping or something."

"Whatever," the boy complained, pointedly looking away. Companionable silence fell between them, her usual competitive nature fading into calm sportsmanship.

-oOo-

When the duo returned, the response was immediate. Sooyeon wrapped up the wounds and prohibited Soojung from playing, declaring the game over much to everyone's chagrin.

"Aw Umma. Let me play," Soojung complained, frowning. "It isn't even that bad."

"Your adrenaline rush is dying down. You can feel it now, can't you?" Sooyeon pointed out, giving her a knowing look. Soojung pursed her lips but didn't argue further; her elbows had begun throbbing on her trip back and they hurt like heck. Dari passed the ball around in her hands restlessly while Hyelim entertained herself with a novel. Miyoung was chattering off and Ahri had pulled out her iPod, one earbud stuck in her ear as her head bobbed to the music.

"Hey Himchan, right?" Dari called, tilting her head slightly. "Want to have a shoot-off? Soojung there's not getting back up on her feet anytime soon and I need to move my limbs before I go crazy."

The blond boy smiled amiably. 

"Sure. Confident in your abilities?" he questioned, standing immediately. "I'm not a pushover you know."

"Enough to kick your at the very least," she threw back, giving him a joking smile as the two walked off. "And I'm especially confident because you haven't even noticed your shoes have been untied for the passed 20 minutes."

Dari laughed as poor Himchan, upon confirming her statement, tripped over his shoelaces and fell to the ground. She helped him up and the continued on their way, their conversation carrying down the court.

The remaining girls exchanged glances with each other then shrugged. 

"It's time for us to meet up with our boyfriends," Seungyeon voiced suddenly, standing and brushing off her pants. 

"Have fun Seungyeon, Minjung, Miho, Jinju, Yejin," Hyelim called back, a half-smile upon her face. 

"They all date at once?" Jongup questioned, surprised. 

"Their boyfriends are all friends so they quin-date a lot," Ahri explained, chuckling. Her fingers played with the dangling earbud unconsciously. "Didn't notice? While we were playing, not one of them cheered. They were all texting their boyfriends. Hey, are those the new dancing shoes that were out in front of _____ the other day?"

"Yeah, you noticed? My friends don't really care all that much about dancing," Jongup stated sheepishly. He perked. "You dance?"

"Definitely," she confirmed, smirking. "Want to go try with me?"

The two began heading in a random direction, speaking about various songs and dance styles with a burning fervor. 

"I have to go. I have to study for the English test tomorrow and I still don't get what the book was about," Junhong excused, grabbing his bag. 

"Which book?" Hyelim questioned, looking up from her novel. His eyes widened.

"That one," he recognized in horror, pointing to the one in her hands.

"I love this novel," she defended at his accusatory tone. She paused then continued cautiously. "Want some help?"

"Yes!" he agreed quickly, turning a bit red. "I mean yeah, that'd help a lot. If you could I mean, if it's no problem and all."

"I have some free time. Let's go," she urged, standing and gathering her things. Already, Hyelim was going over the details within the plot of the book to Junhong as they walked. 

"So anyone want to get some ice cream?" Miyoung questioned, looking between the two girls. "I'm craving something sweet."

"I'm game," Soojung agreed, shrugging. 

"Then let's," Sooyeon added, standing. Miyoung glanced between the girls and boys nervously. Noticing her glances, the two girls rolled their eyes but relented. 

"Do you guys want to come too?" Miyoung requested, looking up at one of the blond boys in particular. The males looked between each other and then down at Miyoung's puppy dog face. They agreed. (134 for Miyoung's puppy-dog eyes, 66 for Umma, and 0 for everyone else.)

-oOo-

The trip itself to the ice cream shop was short but chaotic. Youngjae was quizzing Sooyeon in the very front ("What is the periodic trend for atomic radii?") while Miyoung chatted about nothing in particular happily to Yongguk, rewarded with the occasional smile in between her tales. 

However, in the back, Soojung and Daehyun both had an elbow buried in each other's sides, the earlier companionship disappearing under irritation from the incomplete basketball game. 

"I so would have kicked your ," he muttered. 

"You would have broken into tears if we kept playing," she grumbled in retaliation. 

"I doubt you would have been able to steal the ball once more what with your stamina," he insulted. 

"Puh-lease," she snapped, rolling her eyes. "If we had continued, my superior ball handling would have outmanuevered you every time."

"Stubborn," he complained. 

"Jacka-"

"Hey," Sooyeon's stern voice cut in as they drew closer to the ice cream parlor. "There are kids around. No cursing."

"Yes Umma/ma'am," the two relented though their complaints still escaped under their breaths. The group of six entered the shop, looking around at the bright-colored decorations and variety of flavors. The group argued on flavors, types of cones, and who was to pay before eventually settling on a double scoop of chocolate for Miyoung, a scoop of mint chip for Yongguk, a cone of vanilla for Sooyeon, a cone of butter pecan for Youngjae, a cone of cookies and cream for Soojung, and a scoop of cookie dough for Daehyun with both Yongguk and Sooyeon splitting the bill as the two eldest members of the group. 

"Thank you for the food," Miyoung cheered, the first to take a bite of her ice cream with a sound of happiness. 

"Thanks/Thank you," followed the chorus, flashing quick smiles to the ones who paid before digging in. 

"Don't eat too quickly," Sooyeon warned, unfazed. "And Miyoung, sit down before you eat. At this rate you'll eat it all before we're all seated."

"Yes Umma," Miyoung joked, obeying all the same. She turned to the blond she had had her eye on. "So Yongguk-Oppa, why'd you decide to be a small forward? I mean with your size and skill, I think that you would have been a good center or maybe shooting guard if you wanted."

"Well," Yongguk began, smiling sheepishly. "It just kind of happened. I mean-"

The other four members began tuning him out, uninterested as they let Miyoung and Yongguk speak to each other uninterrupted. 

"Countries which won the world cup before?" Youngjae quizzed, looking at a list on his phone.

"Uruguay in 1930 and 1950, Italy in 1934 and 1938," Sooyeon began, listing them inbetween bites of her ice cream. "Then it's-"

The remaining pair ignored the uninteresting quiz occuring beside them, eating their ice cream in silence. Finally-

"I still think I could kick your at basketball," Soojung stated matter-of-factly. 

"Want to go a round later?" Daehyun asked, raising an eyebrow at her statement. 

"One-on-one or do you need your possy?" she questioned, unperturbed. 

"I don't need help to beat you at basketball," he retorted, rolling his eyes. 

"After ice cream then?" she offered, her eyes looking unnervingly into his own. 

"Sure," he agreed with a smirk. "I'll wipe the floor with ya."

She raised an eyebrow.

"From Busan?" she asked innocently, recognizing the accent. He nodded wordlessly, shoving another spoon of ice cream into his mouth. 

"I'll kick your so hard you won't need a ride home then," she decided, smirking. 

"Try it if you can," he challenged, eyes narrowing. 

"Not only I can but I will," she threw back, chuckling. 

"A girl who depends on her nails to steal the ball shouldn't say things like that," he pointed out, rolling his eyes. 

"A boy who depends on an elbow to a girl's ribs to keep the ball shouldn't say things like that," she mocked, sticking out her tongue childishly at him. 

"Don't fight you two," Sooyeon's voice cut in, drawing them from their argument. Looking around, the eldest female noted the clean cups and disappeared cones. "It's getting late. Come on. Let's go home."

"Hey Daehyun," Soojung called, smirking. "Want to go one-on-one now?"

"If you're that eager to get your kicked," he agreed, matching her expression. The two walked off first, the insults and challenges continuing. The remaining four split off by gender, heading home after a long day.

"Another ice cream date?" Sooyeon repeated thoughtfully. "Alright. Next time, if you want to see his interest in you, order your favorite flavor for him and see if he finishes it. And see if he offers to pay. If he doesn't, he isn't all that interested."

"You don't have that much love experience," Miyoung pointed out, pouting. 

"I have a lot of people experience," Sooyeon retorted. Miyoung rolled her eyes but did not deny that. "Anyways, I think...Youngjae might be...interested in me for some reason."

Her voice was puzzled.

"Well, why? And why not?" Miyoung asked, noticing Sooyeon's slightly pink cheeks. 

"He's smarter than he lets on yet he still asked to meet to study for history," Sooyeon stated, confused.

"Maybe he really is bad at history," Miyoung suggested, keeping pace with the elder female. 

"At the rate of my answers and his questions on history, he wouldn't have been able to confirm most of the information I had said no matter the speed of his internet," Sooyeon explained, her brows furrowing together in thought. "Therefore, considering he did not contradict me, it is likely he had prior knowledge and was acting to be less intelligent to bait me into a...study date."

"Or maybe he just didn't know so he couldn't contradict you," Miyoung voiced. 

"Maybe," Sooyeon tentatively agreed, shrugging.

-oOo-

"Another ice cream date?" Youngjae repeated, disgusted. "You must really like her. I mean, you don't even like sweets."

"So? You're having her tutor you in history," Yongguk pointed out.

"So?" Youngjae retorted.

"That's your best subject," Yongguk stated in deadpan. 

"All's fair in love and war," Youngjae declared, smirking. 

Yongguk rolled his eyes. 

"I hope that girl's smart enough to see through you and put you in your place." he declared, punching Youngjae in the shoulder. 

"If she is, then she's the one for me," Youngjae joked, chuckling. Yongguk punched him once more.

"Idiot."