Blood Spilled: Welcome

Genesis (Volume 01)

There obviously had to be a catch.

It was so obvious that there had to be one.

But just what in the world that catch was...

Well, it definitely wasn't anything like what they expected.

Inspiration ß Kohitsuji Project (manga) by Takenaka Sei

...xXx...

So so so so so screwed. That was the only thought passing through his mind. 

Not for the first time in his life, he wished he had been born his twin - his undeniably smarter, more popular, and just better twin brother.

He crumpled the terrible report card in his hands, groaning aloud.

What would his parents say again?

"What's got you down again Kwangmin?" his friends asked, teasing. They were well-aware of Kwangmin's study habits - or lack thereof. 

"You guys are jerks," Kwangmin complained, slamming his head down on the table. 

"Don't worry Kwangmin," his twin comforted, patting his back. "I'm sure you'll do better next time."

"That's what you said last time too Youngmin," Kwangmin spat, throwing a weak glare at his elder brother, burying his head into his arms.

No matter what he did, he always seemed to just fall short. He could barely remember anything, could forget almost anything, could do nothing right, and yet was also cursed with the perfect older twin brother who he just couldn't hate. It was pure torture.

"It will," Youngmin insisted, placing a calming hand on his back. "Besides, Minwoo did just as badly."

"Youngmin!" another one of their friends hissed in anger, flushed. "That's not what you tell other people!"

Kwangmin felt a little better at his friend's misery and joined in on the light laughter.

"But seriously you two," the eldest of the group, Hyunseong, began, his face turning stoic. "What are you going to do with those grades? What college will accept you two?"

"Hyunseong-Hyung!" Youngmin protested with a narrowing look. "That's a sensitive topic."

"Well, he is right as much as I hate to admit," Kwangmin reluctantly acknowledged, arising from the desk. "And you don't have to defend me Youngmin. You know as well as I do that my grades aren't going to make a good future for me."

Youngmin pursed his lips as Kwangmin sighed.

"Well, we'll cross the bridge once we arrive," Minwoo encouraged, smiling brightly. "Let's go out and do something instead. We can worry about the future later."

"Let's," Kwangmin agreed, eager to pass the subject.

"Jo Kwangmin? No Minwoo?" their homeroom teacher - an old, but kind man - called gently. He waved two envelopes in his hands. "These came for you two."

Minwoo and Kwangmin looked at each other before shrugging and going up to the teacher.

"What's that?" Hyunseong wondered aloud, raising an eyebrow. Kwangmin and Minwoo took them with a quick word of gratitude before returning to their desks, weighing the large manila envelopes in their hands.

"Let's find out," Youngmin urged lightly, tapping Kwangmin's with curiosity. As twins did, Kwangmin knew what Youngmin wanted and obediently, also curious himself, he opened the envelope at the same time as Minwoo. He read the first line of the paper and it promptly slipped out of his hands, his eyes wide and mouth unable to help but drop open.

"What's the matter?" Youngmin asked, picking up the paper, scanning it as his eyes soon grew wide as well.

Dear Jo Kwangmin

We, those of Lunar Academy, would officially like to extend our national Help Program scholarship to you among only a few others...

Youngmin and Kwangmin and Minwoo and Hyunseong (who read over Minwoo's shoulder) didn't bother reading any further before looking at each other with equal enthusiasm. 

"Yes!"

-oOo-

The three stood in front of the school, staring up at the extravagant structure with awe. 

Youngmin whistled lightly. 

"Impressive," he complimented, one hand in his pocket. The uniforms they wore included white collar shirts with black pants and matching jackets with white accents, red ties around their necks (ø).

"Definitely," Minwoo agreed, looking at the large school with curiosity. "Why do you think such a school accepted me and Kwangmin?"

" 'Kwangmin and I,' " Youngmin corrected with a slight roll of his eyes. "And who knows? They accepted me so I guess it all balances out."

"I don't get why you're here though," Kwangmin broke in, looking at Youngmin. 

"As if I'm leaving you," Youngmin snorted. "Besides, it'll be better if we're together."

"Sure," Kwangmin mumbled in reply, his eyes scanning the tall, gated school again. 

"Kwangmin, Youngmin, and Minwoo?" a low voice questioned behind them. They visibly jumped before turning around and relaxing. It was only another student.

"That's us," Minwoo confirmed, smiling brightly. 

"I'm Kim Donghyun," the male introduced with a stiff bow. "Would you please follow me?"

The three looked at each other but quickly moved to catch up to the swiftly disappearing back through the gate and along a stray path.

"Isn't orientation in the main hall?" Youngmin asked with confusion.

"You three are...special," Donghyun answered shortly, not turning around to look at them. "You all must report directly to the dean."

"Special? Like VIPs?" Minwoo wondered aloud. Donghyun let out what seemed to be a snort at his statement but stayed silent otherwise.

The three males had no choice but to follow Donghyun in the unpaved forest, though it did not seem as though Donghyun meant them harm. They came upon a building, aged and filled with history, almost as if out of a Victorian history book, and the male student stopped so suddenly Minwoo bumped lightly against his shoulder.

Donghyun visibly stiffened.

"Continue going straight down the hall and you should reach his office,"  Donghyun ordered succinctly before disappearing into the wilderness once again. The three looked at each other before shrugging and opening the door, entering the building and praying they didn't somehow get lost.

"Wow it's dark," Youngmin commented, moving closer and holding hands with Kwangmin nervously.

"At least we can still sort of see?" Minwoo pointed out positively, shrugging as he squinted his eyes. What was that flying towards him? Was that a-?

"Bird?" he voiced aloud just before it crashed into him, its beak sailing just above his head and wings spanning his face and covering it. 

"Ow!" he complained, blinking quickly as the bird flew up, squawking almost indignantly. 

"Minwoo you okay?" Youngmin questioned, giving a worried look.

"Fine," Minwoo grumbled, glaring at the bird, beautiful even against the limited light, and rubbing the light wound on his cheek. "Stupid crow."

"She's a raven," a feminine voice corrected from behind them. They visibly flinched before swiveling around only to find a girl, a good 20 cm shorter and yet much more calm and almost without presence. She wore a uniform similar to theirs, but with a skirt and knee-high socks (ø). She was pretty, but surprisingly stoic and calmly held out a hand as the bird landed carefully on it, moving up to perch on her shoulder. 

"Best be on your way as we go ours," she advised, her gaze flickering across the three males. 

"They just got here," another voice called out, more crude but also with more emotion - amusement, curiosity, and playfulness. The boys flinched again, turning around to see a girl almost identical to the one before, but taller, her face painted with a smirk and eyes glittering with amusement. On her shoulder was a bird, slightly smaller, yet just as majestic. 

"Twins," the first noted softly, looking at the group of three with unreadable eyes. Kwangmin, Youngmin, and Minwoo nervously stood back-to-back, feeling the hairs on their neck rise, weary and anxious for some reason.

"I'll take the lone one," the second girl stated, putting her weight on one foot, hand on her hip. She threw a glance at Minwoo who visibly gulped. "He'll be less work...or at least he better be."

"Seungyeon," the first called with warning. Her eyes searched the three humans', calm and silent. "We are caring for them, not taking care of them."

"Whatever makes you happy," the second snorted, rolling her eyes. She walked calmly, looking up at Minwoo only by a few centimeters and surveying him closely. Minwoo nervously took a step back. There was something unsettling...

The crow on Seungyeon's shoulder flew up, landing on Minwoo's head and settling there.

Seungyeon blinked, momentarily stunned, then her lips curled upward with amusement.

"That's a first. Hoshi normally doesn't take to people so quickly," she stated, eyes twinkling. "Then it's decided. You're mine."

"What?" Minwoo was finally able to blurt, shocked. Seungyeon laughed heartily at his reaction, grabbing his hand and lifting it.

"Mine," she repeated, eyes searching his face. "Hurt from Tsuki? She only bumped into you. What type of scratch is that? It'll be fixed with just a ."

"Li-?"

Before Minwoo could complete his thought, Seungyeon tip-toed and his cheek, tongue flickering over the small wound. Minwoo stood frozen as Youngmin and Kwangmin were just as still. Seungyeon her lips, smirking at Minwoo's frozen expression.

"I'll enjoy my meal," Seungyeon decided, her smile-smirk widening to show her teeth, white against the dark and surprisingly pointy. She lifted her hand, still entwined with Minwoo's and turned it so his arm was facing her and lightly, she against his wrist.

"Enjoying the show?" she questioned, glancing up and smirking at his gaze. He began to struggle, awakening from his dream-like nightmare to realize this was reality.

"Hold on a second!" he complained, trying to pull away to no avail. "Stop!"

She opened but before she could bite, she was pulled back and she released Minwoo.

"We'll be on our way," the first girl stated, breaking in. Her hand was hooked on Seungyeon's ear and despite her small, short stature, she pulled Seungyeon away without any resistance. The two pushed past Minwoo, passing in front of Kwangmin and Youngmin and disappearing down another hallway. The bird - Hoshi - lept from Minwoo's head with a final cry and flew after them.

Kwangmin and Youngmin looked at each other before looking at Minwoo who stood frozen.

"Minwoo?" Youngmin called with worry. "Are you okay?"

Minwoo blinked.

Then he screamed.

"I'll take that as a no," Youngmin guessed, wincing.

-oOo-

"What was that?!" Minwoo shouted, the dean in front of him. "We didn't sign up for a loony bin!" 

"I promise the students aren't crazy," the dean placated, maintaing a polite smile. 

"She me!" Minwoo pointed out, pacing up and down. Youngmin and Kwangmin looked on sheepishly, attempting and half-failing to keep a calm expression.

"Well, it could have been worse," Youngmin reminded, putting a hand on Minwoo's shoulder to stop his incessant pacing.

"She me," Minwoo repeated, shaking Youngmin by the shoulders. " me!"

"Well, it could have been worse," the dean agreed, grabbing the three's attentions. "Especially since our students are vampires."

"See? He agrees it was ba-Vampires?!" Minwoo shouted, realizing the man's words.

"Vampires," the man agreed, nodding his head. He moved the cigarette in his hands to his lips, taking a puff as he took in their reactions. Complete and utter shock.

He thought for a moment. 

It could have been worse.

"Let us out now," Kwangmin demanded, slamming his hands down on the desk in front of them. Or not. 

"You've all accepted our scholarships," the dean countered, sighing and pulling the cigarette to his lips again.

"You can't hold us to it! I demand a lawyer and-"

"Then return the down payment we gave you all," the dean cut Minwoo off, pushing up his glasses.

"Down payment...the 1,000,000 won (about $895.18)?" Kwangmin realized, paling.

"Exactly," the dean confirmed, nodding his head. Minwoo fell to his knees, hands still on the edge of the desk.

"My mom already spent that," Minwoo wailed, knocking his head against the edge of the wood. Kwangmin turned to Youngmin seriously.

"Hyung, you should leave."

"I can't leave you," Youngmin denied. "We still have enough for one of us to leave, but what's a twin without his pair?"

"But you can leave and get a job and do so much more. I'm only good athletically."

"I can't just leave you because of that though!"

"How about you guys let me leave?" Minwoo suggested pitifully.

" out!" the twins shouted at once before returning to their argument.

"Yes you can! We all know I'm good-for-nothing."

"No-"

"Now now, I promise you three aren't the first humans here. It's safe...mostly," the dean cut in, reassuring them slightly.

"How safe?" Youngmin questioned, suspicious.

"Around 1 in 3 humans graduated so far. That's much better than in previous years when none would," the dean stated almost proudly. The three almost staggered. 

The dean stood, clapping his hands together. 

"Well, enough about that. You three are here to stay I'm sure. Here's your rooms," the dean announced, tossing them keys. "One for the brothers and one for the lonely child. Enjoy your years here."

"Wait this isn't fair!" Kwangmin complained once more. 

"Also, if you survive all four years here, you will be provided for for the rest of your lives I assure you," the dean added on, throwing them a sharp glare. "And I'm rather tired of hearing these arguments. If you quit, it's more than likely you'll have to be killed to keep our existence a secret."

There was an audible pause.

"So you all shall be taking the courses yes?"

The three looked at each other helplessly and turned to the dean, nodding with resignation. 

"Perfect. Enjoy your four years here boys. Welcome to Lunar Academy."

-oOo-

"Well aren't you dandy," the taller of the two females from before commented as the duo stepped through the balcony doors.

"Who told you two to eavesdrop?" the dean questioned back with a snort.

"You did," the shorter reminded, matter-of-factly, observing the many paintings on the walls. "They seem...interesting. Have faith in us Uncle."

"Correction: have faith in her and pray for me," the taller teased, taking a seat on the corner of the desk.

"Vampires don't believe in deities," the dean reminded, laughing. "Now off you two go. Class starts in five minutes."

"We know," the shorter commented before the two left to the balcony and jumped off. The dean sighed.

"If only a deity was here," he whispered, leaning back on his chair.

-oOo-

"Come on you three," the teacher - a young looking brown-haired male - urged, waving to them good-naturedly as they walked down the halls. "The kids are fine. I'm Mr. Kim by the way."

"I don't know if I can do this," Kwangmin mumbled as the three entered the room, but Youngmin had little chance to answer, instead settling for giving Kwangmin's hand a comforting squeeze. The room, unlike what they had expected, was rather silent when they walked in, only whispered conversations flitting about.

"Students," Mr. Kim called, catching their attentions and killing whatever conversations there were. "These three are our new human transfers."

A louder flood of whispers flitted about the room. 

"Hey, he smells pretty good."

"I wonder what the maximum pints of blood we can take is."

"I'd take a bite of that."

Mr. Kim looked at some papers on the roster for a moment before blinking slowly.

"You three already have guides," he questioned more than stated.

"Guides?" the twins repeated. 

"Yo," a familiar voice greeted as an arm wrapped around Minwoo's shoulders. He froze as did the twins. "I told you. You're mine."

"Don't scare them too much," the other reminded, suddenly appearing on the other side of the teacher. The three boys cursed in their minds as complaints rang out from the class in unsatisfied whispers.

"Man, they get all the good food."

"It's only because they're the dean's nieces."

"Good-for-nothing, snobby, lying b*tch*s."

"We can hear you," the shorter stated simply, silencing all conversation. She turned to the three males, locking eyes with them. "No Minwoo, Jo Kwangmin, Jo Youngmin, I am Choi Sooyeon and that is Choi Seungyeon. We will be your guides."

She turned to the class.

"Therefore, no one else is to touch them. They are ours. Understood?"

The class grumbled but nodded all the same.

"No changes?" Minwoo questioned weakly. 

"None," Mr. Kim answered with a reassuring smile. "You all will be safe with these two girls."

"Safe," Minwoo scoffed under his breath. 

"Trust me pretty boy," Seungyeon muttered, her arm tightening around his neck. "It's better just me than the entire student body chasing after your blood."

"How about you three sit in the back by the window beside the two girls? Escape and protection," Mr. Kim advised. 

The three boys silently questioned with fear - would their protection, in the end, be their reason for escape?