The Horror Film

Horror Film

The phone rang and Daehyun's heart skipped a beat when he saw who the caller was.

"Hey babe," he said as a broad smile crept over his face.

"Hey..." the guy at the other end responded. "Are you free later?"

"Of course I am, love. Why?" Daehyun chuckled into the phone. "You wanna go on a date?"

"Mmm..." Youngjae started. "Actually the others wanted to go to this new horror amusement park. They have this Halloween special..."

By 'the others', Daehyun understood it to mean the rest of their group of friends.

"Okay... But why the amusement park?" Daehyun asked warily.

He heard a chuckle from the other end of the line and huffed, "What's so funny?"

"Haha! Nothing! It's just that you're more scared of going to an amusement park rather than the fact that it's a horror special," Youngjae laughed.

Daehyun pouted. "Hmph! Well if you think it's so funny, then I don't feel like going anymore."

Youngjae stopped laughing and tried to coax his boyfriend.

"No no no... Of course I don't, Dae," Youngjae hastily said. "And don't worry, I'll be there with you on the rides."

A smile tugged at the corner of Daehyun's lips. "Alright. I'll go. When do we meet?"

"Six sharp at the entrance. Be there," said Youngjae.

"Okay... But why so late?"

"Cos it's a Halloween special?" Daehyun could almost see Youngjae rolling his eyes.

"Okay okay fine. Bye."

"See you."

---

6:20... I'm late!

Daehyun quickly got off the taxi and searched for the entrance before sprinting all the way there, clutching his backpack which contained all sorts of goodies.

"Yah! Jung Daehyun! You're late!" Himchan chided as Daehyun stopped right in front of them and bent over, panting.

"Well at least he's here," Youngjae defended Daehyun and Himchan was about to retort back when Yongguk said, "Let's go get our tickets."

The queue was extremely long. Daehyun wrapped his sweater tighter around his body and stared up at the amusement park. Everything, from the rides, to the decorations to the staff's attire, had been 'horror-fied'. He shuddered. And it wasn't because of the cold. There was something, he didn't know what, that made goosebumps appear along his arm.

Daehyun turned his attention back to his friends who were already purchasing the tickets.

"Here, Daehyun," Yongguk passed Daehyun a ticket.

The group then entered the amusement park, spirits high and looking forward to having fun. As they stepped into the park, Zelo caught sight of a bloody zombie staggering towards him.

"Ahh!" he screamed and grabbed Jongup's arm. "Hyung! There's a zombie!"

His hyungs laughed at his easily frightened nature and Daehyun said, "Don't worry, Zelo yah. That's just someone dressing up as a zombie to scare you."

"Oh..." Zelo blushed and let go of Jongup's arm.

The group walked on, casting amused glances at the roaming 'ghosts'.

"So... what should we do first?" asked Zelo who was already dying to have some fun.

Everyone looked around at the attractive rides and Himchan pointed in a particular direction.

"What about that one?"

"A horror film?" Yongguk asked skeptically.

"Not just a horror film... It's a 4D show with effects... I think it’s like, water spraying in your face when there's blood splattering or something," Youngjae concluded after reading off the poster hanging near the entrance.

"Sounds boring," Zelo whined.

"Well, I think we should try it out, since there doesn't seem to be a long queue anyway," Yongguk stated.

"Because it's boring," Zelo pointed out.

"Quit whining, Zelo," said Himchan as he entered, followed by the rest.

Zelo pouted but he still entered anyway. Once they were inside, they were surprised to find that not many people were queuing up for the show. It soon reached their turn, seeing as the queue was relatively short, and they, together with others, entered a small cinema and put on their 3D glasses before sitting down.

The film started and it was excruciatingly gory. Those who enjoyed it relished the thrill and the sense of foreboding they felt while watching it while those who didn't screamed at every part.

Just when the protagonist flung the door open to reveal her bloody decapitated parents, a yelp could be heard from the rightmost side of the row. Everyone turned to see Zelo who was pale white and who looked like he had just seen a real ghost.

Just then, the screen went blank and cold air whipped their faces. The whole cinema was plunged into darkness. Daehyun gripped Youngjae's hand who turned to look bewilderedly back at him. The doors swung open by itself and everyone frantically rushed out, scared of being left behind.

Once outside, the group heaved a sigh of relief as they saw the familiar surroundings filled with people.

"Well, that was a waste of time," Yongguk huffed.

"Yeah, how could they have a power shortage?" Himchan kicked a dustbin angrily.

"It was a good part too," Youngjae piped in.

"Zelo... Is there something wrong?" Jongup looked concernedly at his boyfriend.

Zelo's face was as pale as ash and he was shaking. Sweat dripped down his forehead and his pupils were dilated. He looked completely freaked out.

"I-I thought I s-saw..." he stuttered and shook his head. ”Never mind. I'm fine."

"You sure?" Yongguk asked him concernedly.

"Yeah. Don't worry about me," Zelo smiled weakly at him.

He reached for Jongup's hand who automatically clutched his and squeezed it.

"Well, I think Zelo should rest for a while. Anyone wanna come with to ride this ghost ride I saw on the way?" Yongguk asked.

"Me!" Himchan exclaimed excitedly.

"What kind of ride is it?" Daehyun asked sceptically.

"An indoor rollercoaster ride," Yongguk replied.

As soon as Yongguk said it was a rollercoaster ride, all the colour drained out of Daehyun's face and he remained silent. Youngjae noticed his changed attitude and quickly said, "it’s okay, hyung. Daehyun and I will stay back."

Yongguk shrugged, "As you wish."

---

"Welcome... Please step into the car and pull the safety bar over yourselves," a tired girl said.

She opened the door of the ride for them and they sat down. Yongguk glanced curiously at her. The makeup on her face looked really convincing. It was like she really had stitches on her face. The pair of them followed her instructions and gripped the bar tightly.

"Gukkie, isn't it great we're alone by ourselves? We don't have to look after the kids," said Himchan.

Yongguk rolled his eyes and smirked at him, "Stay close if you're scared."

Himchan snorted just as the rollercoaster entered a black cave. The ride was thrilling, just as Yongguk had expected and as the wind whipped his face, his heart raced back and he opened his mouth in a jubilant scream. Many twists and turns and sudden downfalls later, the ride came to a slow halt and they were back to the same platform again.

A broad smile was etched on Yongguk's face and he said while fixing his hair, "The ride was awesome! Wasn't it Channie?"

"Channie?" he repeated when he got no answer.

Yongguk turned to his left and gave a loud gasp. No one was sitting beside him.

 

(A/N: Meh… I don’t know how it was. I reckon it was boring? Hopefully the following chapters will be okay… Anyway, thanks to all you subbies :D Keep the comments coming!)