The First Snow

The First Snow

         He grabbed his coffee and walked to the seat he had been sitting on for the past few years.  The window glistened with his reflection, and he watched the employee wipe off the dirt and stains that decorated the glass.  A hint of citrus lingered in the shop.  It was in the middle of fall, but the cold weather had reached the small city already.  The last season of the year was coming.

         Winter.

         He didn't like winter anymore.


         The streets of Seoul were ever bustling with buses, cars, motorcycles, taxis-- almost anything a person could think of.  Even though it was the weekend, businesspeople kept their handphones close to their ears while others ran to catch the bus.  Time was extremely important to these Koreans, all but one person.  

          His name was Kim Joonmyun, or rather known by Suho.

         Compared to the quick, tiny steps the people took, Joonmyun's were carefree and graceful.  His attire was made up of a pair of black sneakers, jeans, and a loose T-shirt, finished off by a light jacket.  In Joonmyun's world, music flowed in his ears as he played his favorite song on his iPod.  The wind lightly tossed his auburn hair, and he reached out to the wooden handle of the door of his favorite coffee shop.

         Joonmyun removed the earphones and hid them in his hands.  Shortly after he arrived, a queue began form, with people coming in as they left.  It was only a few minutes' worth of a wait before he stopped at the counter to order a cup of latte.

         After being seated at his chair, Joonmyun watched the people outside rush like scurrying ants.  The trees had already turned into golden colors, and a few leaves dropped here and there.  He stared out the window, occasionally sipping the hot coffee.  A thought came up to him as he admired the beauty of fall, that winter was nearing. 

         The scene flashed again.

 

December, five years ago.

         Kim Joonmyun shivered as the winter breeze crashed into his face, despite wearing thick layers of clothing.  Snow was lightly falling, which was why his favorite season was winter.  He was coming home from work, and the coffee shop was just nearby.  Without hesitating, he decided to grab a cup of coffee to warm himself.  

         The coffee shop was warm, and it was filled with people who were simply avoiding the cold or spending their afternoons chatting with friends.  Joonmyun rubbed his hands together as he anticipated the thought of having a hot drink on a cold winter day.  Not long, he was already out of the shop with a  cup of latte in his hands.  The walk home was around five minutes, and the coffee felt pleasant.

          He didn't realize how fast the drink had disappeared.  A trashbin laid at the corner ahead of him, so he quickened his steps to dispose the paper cup.  Joonmyun looked up and saw a couple on the other side of the street.  They were happily chatting with each other and were crossing the sidewalk.  He dusted the snow off his coat, and just as he was about to continue his walk, the sound of a speeding car rumbled through the air.  It was a drunkard.  And the car was headed straight for the couple.

          Joonmyun shouted at the two people, but it was too late.

         There was a loud crash.  The drunkard hit a pole, and the car stopped.  Joonmyun ran towards the couple, who were covered with blood-stained snow.  He turned them over and brushed off the soft ice.

         They were his parents.

 

          Joonmyun snapped back into reality, looked down to find a drop of water on the table.  Then another one.

         Few weeks passed, and the weather had gotten chillier than usual.  Coming back from work as usual, Joonmyun took his smooth, relaxed steps down the sidewalk.  He felt something cold on his head, and his hand reached up to feel the odd object.

         Snow.

         He stopped in his tracks and looked up, finding a shower of tiny white fluffs fall on his face. 

          The snow had come unusually early this year, and Joonmyun became upset as he knew what would haunt him for the next few months of the season.  He fought to ignore the thought and continued to walk home until he felt something tug at his jacket.

          It was a little boy, probably around the age of four, with a plastic box that hung around his neck.

         "Hello, mister!" the little boy piped. "Would you like to make a donation for charity?"

          Joonmyun smiled and bent down to be at eye-level with the young child.

         "How much would you like me to give?" Joonmyun asked.

         "As much as you like!" the boy cheerfully said. So, Joonmyun slipped three 10,000 won bills into the slit.

         "Thank you so much, mister!" the child chirped.  "Here's a lollipop for your kindness!"

         The little boy reached into his tiny satchel and pulled out a sweet for him.  Joonmyun accepted it with a warm smile, patting the boy's head.  The child once again put his hand in the bag and took out an object Joonmyun couldn't identify.  With his tiny fingers, the boy poked something onto his cheek.

         "Here's a sticker for you!" he said.  "I hope you have a good day!"

          Joonmyun chuckled at the little boy and replied with a nod.  He watched the child skip down the sidewalk, almost slipped on the snow but recovered his balance.  The boy looked back and gave him a cheeky little smile, and he waved to him.

         Maybe Joonmyun would start to like winter again.

 


I hope you guys enjoyed this drabble/one-shot! Thanks for reading! :)

Comments are appreciated~

Much love,
honeypeachies