The First Meeting

Jeremy, You Are Beautiful

 

I got home later that evening (much too late for my taste) and thought about Jeremy’s stunningly brown eyes and perfect smile. Shaking my head, I sat on my desk chair and pulled my phone out of my pocket. It felt unfamiliar, I mused, but that’s probably because I dropped it. When I got it out I looked at the stunningly clean and technological body of it, something much too expensive for my taste. I turned it on and scrolled through the contacts.

                “Hwang Tae Kyung,” I said aloud. “Go Mi Nam. Kang Shin Woo. None of these are my friends. They are….famous…..”

                My phone dropped to the floor and I stared at it in awe. Not my phone, my mind repeated. Not my phone, not my phone….

                ……

                …..

                ..JEREMY’S PHONE. I slapped myself on the forehead and realized what I’d done. In the mix-up,  I had grabbed his phone instead of mine. Picking it up slowly, I stared at it in awe. Suddenly it rang with life and it fell again as I screamed. Looking at the screen I read the name “Unknown Caller”. Curious, I anwered.

                “…Hello?” I asked slowly.

                “Hi, who is this?” the voice asked in a musically beautiful voice.

                “Jenna,” I replied. “This is not my phone.”

                “You’re right about that,” the voice laughed. “This is Jeremy. You’ve got my phone. May I ask what you are, exactly?”

                “…what do you mean?”

                “I mean, are you the same girl with the red hair or are you someone else?” Of course he’d remember, I was so weird.

                “The girl is me. I’m so sorry Jeremy, I didn’t mean to-“

                “-I know,” he interrupted, laughing again. The sound was unlike any other. “But what are you? You spoke in English. You don’t look like any other girl I’ve met.”

                “American,” I sighed. “I know. I’m weird, thank you for the update.”

                “It’s not a bad thing,” he counter-acted, and I blushed even though it was just his voice saying it. “May I have my phone back?”

                “Yes. Where shall I meet you, Jeremy?”

                I stood alone outside the same producing company  this time, shivering at the cold wind. Stupid me had decided to run out of the house without a coat, so not only was I freezing but there was no one around me. Actually, the last part was kind of a relief- I sat down beside the pond and closed my eyes, thinking of my sister and what she’d say if she knew I was going to talk to Jeremy alone. I pulled his phone out of my pocket and stared at it for a while.

                “Thank you,” I said in English, “for letting me meet such a cute boy so close up. I owe you one, phone.”

                “You think I’m cute?” a voice asked from the trees. I jumped up, startled, to see Jeremy grinning widely, hands on his hips.

                “You- you understand English?”

                “Yes!” he sat down beside me and I followed suit. He was close, too close, and I could easily imagine his arms around me. I shivered at the vision and smiled at him, pretending I didn’t think of that.

                “How do you know-“ I started before he shrugged his coat off and put it around my shoulders gently. It smelled sweet, like musk and oranges. I inhaled deeply and gave him a strange look. “What’s this for?”

                “You’re cold, right?” he asked. “I gave you my jacket.”

                “You’ll be cold.”

                “I’ll be fine,” he replied, waving his hand. “I learned English because I was raised in England.”

                “But now you live here?”

                “I am in a famous band now. So, it has it’s advantages.”

                I laughed. “You are funny, Jeremy.”

                “You are beautiful,” he replied easily in English. My face lit red and I avoided his eyes.

                “Um…..thank you,” I replied hesitantly.

                “You’re welcome.” He had a child’s happy grin, and I laughed. Pausing to look at my watch, I sighed.

                “I really have to be going. It’s late and my sister would kill me if she found out I was alone with  you.”

                “Are you sure?” he asked.

                “Yes.” I stood to go and I felt a hand wrap around my wrist. The heat rose in my cheeks again as I turned to see Jeremy holding me. He stood as well.

                “Do I get to see you again, Jenna?”

                “Um….sure,” I said hesitantly. “How?”

                He handed me my phone and smiled. “We’ll think of something, yes?”