Second Meeting

WINTER ROMANCE

 CHAPTER 5

 

“Pretty stranger?” called Soo Hyun.

Suzy looked back and point at herself. “Cheoyo? Pretty Stranger?” said Suzy.

“Yes. Don’t you remember me?” asked Soo Hyun as he instantly took off his glasses and slightly put down the scarf that was covering his mouth and smiled awkwardly at her.

Suzy then immediately recognize him and smiled.

“Ahh. Yah of course. Annyeonghaseyo,” said Suzy while she slightly bowed at him.

Annyeonghaseyo,” answered back Soo Hyun while he also bowed.

“So, how are you? It’s been a while,” asked Suzy while they walked just to do anything rather than only standing.

“I’ve been good, how about you?” answered Soo Hyun.

“Not so good, hehe,” answered Suzy.

Wae?” asked Soo Hyun.

“I have so many things in mind right now,” answered Suzy.

“What is it?”

“You sound like you’re worried, hehe. Don’t mind me. Anyway, do you know your way here?” asked Suzy.

“Worried? Me?” thought Soo Hyun to himself. “Yah, I’ve been here so many times,” answered Soo Hyun.

“Really? How about giving me a tour? And I’ll treat you for dinner as payment. How’s that?” suggested Suzy.

“No need to treat me, I’ll be happy to tour you.”

“No, I insist. Please,” stopped on her tracks and looked at Soo Hyun.

“Ok, if you insist,” answered Soo Hyun.

“So, where should we start?” asked Suzy excitedly.

He led her to the entrance. Suzy paid for their tickets under protest of Soo Hyun. He then led her to each building, telling her historical stories. They talked animatedly like close friends. She asked him so many questions while Soo Hyun just answered her happily.

They each took photos of each other, posing crazily and seriously. Suzy secretly took a photo of him while he’s not looking and smiled as she saw how great he look and very candid.

After, they went to have lunch at the nearest food stall.

“What do you want to eat?” asked Soo Hyun.

Suzy looked at the menu and was confused because of so many choices. “I don’t know, they all seem delicious. Why don’t you choose for me, like how a guide should suggest, hehe.”

“”Well, as a guide, I’ll suggest the Set A.” suggested Soo Hyun. Set A includes Grilled Marinated Beef “Bulgogi” and Fried Codfish Soup “Book Uh Guk”.

“Ok, how about you?”

“The same also,” said Soo Hyun.

They then ordered their food. While waiting they kept talking about their tour until the food arrived.

After eating, they continued the tour. At about 4 PM, they got tired and rested for a while on a bench they saw.

“Wow, that was amazing. I didn’t know that there were so many beautiful places here. I should have come here ages ago,” said Suzy while resting her head on the headrest of the bench and closed her eyes.

Soo Hyun looked at her while she’s resting.

“Yah, beautiful,” said Soo Hyun.

Suzy suddenly opened her eyes and stood up while Soo Hyun was taken aback at her sudden action and looked the other way.

“Whoa! That was close,” Soo Hyun thought.

“Do you know if there’s a costume rental here?” asked Suzy immediately.

“Yes, why?” he answered while still sitting.

“I want to try on a Hanbok,” said Suzy excitedly.

“Ok, let’s go there.”

They entered a small cottage with full of costumes.

“Annyeong!” an Ahjumma greeted them when they entered.

“Neh, annyeonghaseyo!” Soo Hyun and Suzy greeted her back.

“What can I do to you both?” asked Ahjumma.

“My friend here,” pointing at Suzy, “wants to try on a Hanbok,” said Soo Hyun.

“Neh Ajhumma,” said Suzy.

“Ah. Come over here, pick anything you like.” She showed her a closet full of pretty Hanboks. Plain, colorful and beautifully made Hanboks.

“Wow!” she looked at Soo Hyun after gaping at all the Hanboks. “These are all beautiful.”

“Try if there’s something you like,” Ahjumma said.

Soo Hyun and Suzy looked at the line of Hanboks and picked the same hanbok. They looked at each other and smiled.

“Oh, you picked the same. Well, Agasshi, try it on.” Said Ahjumma.

Suzy went to the changing room to change while Soo hyun just stayed on the sofa, looking around. Before Suzy went to where Soo Hyun is, she was stopped by the Ajhumma.

“Wait Agasshi, let’s get your hair done to complete the traditional look.”

“Sure!” answered Suzy excitedly.

Ahjumma fixed her hair, put on trinkets just like a princess.

“You look so beautiful dear,” praised the Ajhumma.

“Kamsamida Ajhumma,” Suzy answered shyly.

Suzy went to where Soo Hyun is after. She bowed her head down while to Soo Hyun and slowly raised her head while Soo Hyun just kept looking at her. Suzy smiled shyly.

“So, what do you think?” asked Suzy.

Soo Hyun just kept looking at her from the foot to head and stayed on her face for about 30 seconds before Suzy asked him again.

“Are you just going to look at me and not say?” asked Suzy.

“Ahh, neh?” he stopped gaping at her and cleared his mind.

“Whatever, hehe. Take a photo of me please. Make it pretty, ok?” Suzy childishly asked.

Soo Hyun get her camera and got ready to take a shot when the Ajhumma stopped him.

“Wait. I have a studio here, you can do it there,” offered Ajhumma.

They were led to a studio and started taking photos.

“You should also change your clothes the same as mine,” Suzy suggested.

“Like that?” He pointed at her clothes. “I’ll look weird if I try it. Besides I’m not a woman, did you know? Hehe.” He said jokingly and earned a laugh from Ajhumma.

“Yah! Not this one.” Suzy said defensively and Soo Hyun laughed.

“Haha, I know. I’m just kidding, hehe. So, what should I wear?” he said.

“You should wear a King hanbok. I think it will suit you,” she suggested.

“Really? Guerae. Ahjumma, do you have a hanbok for a king?” he asked.

“Of course and I think it will fit you perfectly,” said Ajhumma.

After 15 minutes, Soo Hyun went out dressed as a King. Suzy looked at him in awe.

“Wow! You really look like a King. Handsome,” Suzy said appreciatively.

“Really?”

“Of course. Come here so I can take your photo.” She took some shots and then looked at the outcome. “Wow. Sincha you look so cool.” She gave a thumbs up.

“Haha, you really are complimenting me, haha. Komawo,” He said shyly.

“Yeah, you look so handsome,” Ajhumma complimented him. She looked at him again and this time carefully and then she asked, “Young man, have you been here before?”

Suzy looked puzzled and Soo hyun got startled at her question.

“Ne...eh?”

“You look very familiar, have you been here before?” she asked again.

“Neh.”

“Ah, so that’s why you look so familiar. Anyway, do you want me to take pictures of you both?” suggested Ajhumma.

“You don’t mind Ajhumma?” Suzy asked.

“Of course, don’t worry.”

They started the photoshoot and they were enjoying, laughing, doing wacky pose, serious poses. They also changed twice and continued again the shoot. Until they felt exhausted and changed to their own clothes. They rested for awhile and then said goodbye.

“Thank you Ajhumma,” Suzy and Soo Hyun told Ahjumma.

“You’re welcome. I had a great time with you both. Take care!”

They then went out Gyeongbokjung Palace.

“It’s already dark, I didn’t notice it,” said Suzy.

“Neh. Come on, I’ll take you to the bus station,” offered Soo Hyun.

“Oh, I’m not going home, I’ll stay the night here,” she said.

“Really? Where will you stay?” he asked.

“I’m going to look right not. Anyway, thank you for the day. I really had a great time.”

“No need to thank me, it was my pleasure. And besides I’m going to take you to a place where you can stay the night,” He took her hand and led her to his friend’s apartment.

They stopped at a traditional Korean house.

“Jin Guk-ah!!! Jin Guk-ah!!! Jin Guk-ah!!!”

“Yah! Don’t shout. You know, you can knock,” suggested Suzy.

“He’ll not here me if I don’t shout. Wait. Jin Guk-ah!!! Jin Guk-ah!!!”

Jin Guk opened the door with a headphone on both his ears and was startled to see Soo Hyun.

“Told you he’ll not here me if I don’t shout.” Pointing at Jin Guk’s headphone and Suzy just smiled. Jin Guk hugged Soo Hyun immediately after his shock dissipated.

“Soo Hyun-ah!!!” still hugging him, “Man, you punk, haha!”

They were both laughing while hugging. Suzy just stared at the two men laughing and hugging and it makes her heart skipped a bit.

“Soo Hyun? Seems a common name. They must have not seen each other for a long time,” Suzy thought.

Jin Guk saw Suzy and stopped for a while.

“Man, who’s with you?” asked Jin Guk.

“Let’s go inside first before we catch a cold,” Soo Hyun said.

“Oh yeah, come inside.” He led them inside and offered dinner.

“Thanks man, were kind of hungry already,” Soo Hyun said while smiling at Suzy.

They ate dinner silently and it makes Suzy uncomfortable. She finished her dinner at the same time both the men finished eating.

“So, Soo Hyun-ah, what made you decide to visit me now? It’s been a long time, 3 months?” started Jin Guk.

“Well, yeah it’s been a long time that’s why I wet here. Also, I was on a day off and decided to visit you. I missed you man, haha,” Soo Hyun said.

“Yah right, hehe.. So, why were the two of you together?” asked Jin Guk while looking at Suzy.

“We just met at the bus,” started Soo Hyun and Jin Guk eyed both of them.

“You just met just now? And now you’re coming here with her?” asked Jin Guk incredulously.

“It’s not like that, hehe. We met before already and now we met again today, “ answered Soo Hyun defensively.

“Ah, hehe. Introduce me, hehe.” Said Jin Guk..

“Oh, mian. This is Go Jin Guk, my friend and this is ……” pointing at Suzy and she smiled. Jin Guk got confused.

“Wait. Dude, you don’t know her name?!?” asked Jin Guk incredulously for the second time and laughed out loud at his friend.

“I’m Su Ji for Korean but I prefer my English name Suzy. Suzy Han. Nice to meet you,” she bowed to Jin Guk.

“English? You’re a tourist? You’re Korean’s good,” said Jin Guk.

---From here, Suzy started speaking in Korean---

“I learned,” said Suzy.

“Daebak. You’re too formal. Drop the honorifics,” suggested Jin Guk.

“I already told her that,” said Soo Hyun.

“How old are you?” aksed Jin Guk.

“Just turned 25 but 26 in Korea, wae?”

“We’re of the same age. I just turned 26 last June, how about you?” asked Jin Guk again.

“You have many questions,” said Suzy.

“I’m just curious coz you’re too formal,” answered Jin Guk.

“Just today,” answered Suzy.

“Your birthday’s today? Why didn’t you tell me?” asked Soo Hyun

“I just thought that you don’t have to know, hehe.”

“Still. Anyway, happy birthday!” greeted Soo Hyun.

“Thank you!”

“Happy birthday chingu!” Jin Guk raised his hand for a high five to Suzy but she just smiled. Jin Guk got embarrassed and just put his hand down and Soo Hyun smiled secretly at the embarrassment. He continued, “Soo Hyun’s younger than you.”

“That’s what I think,” said Suzy.

“You mean, you know I was young than you?” asked Soo Hyun.

“No, I just guessed.”

“Ah… Anyway, do you have a vacant room? She’s going to stay the night,” Soo Hyun asked Jin Guk.

“Neh. Come, I’ll show you the room.” Jin Guk led Suzy to the room while Soo Hyun just tag along with them.

“Here you go, hope you find it satisfactorily,” Jin Guk said.

“Thank you,” answered Suzy.

“I’ll go ahead,” said Jin Guk then left the two of them outside the room.

“I’ll be there in a minute,” called Soo Hyun to Jin Guk. “So, I leave you here. Call me if you need anything, there’s a number to Jin Guk’s room at the table.”

“Ok. Thank you.”

Suzy entered the room, put her bag on the table, took a bath and lied on the bed. After several minutes, she fell asleep.

-oOo-

Soo Hyun and Jin Guk finished cleaning the kitchen. They went out of the apartment, made bonfire and sat down on a log they put and started talking seriously.

“So what made you come here man?” started Jin Guk.

“Just want to have a fresh air.”

“Is your work making you tire?” He asked.

“Somewhat. But don’t get me wrong man, I love my work. It’s just I’m kind of suffocated nowadays. Today made me fell refreshed. I’m thankful I went here today,” Soo Hyun seriously answered.

“That’s good to know. If you feel like that again, just visit me. I’m always here, you know.”

“Sure man.”

“Also, I think why you feel refreshed is because of the woman you were with. I’m right, aren’t I?” Jin Guk asked cheekily.

Soo Hyun only smiled.

“I’m right, hehe. When was the last time you were like that? 5 or 6 years ago?

“6 years ago, hehe,” answered Soo Hyun.

“Wow, it’s been that long. So, how did the two of you really met? And how come you don’t know her name? are you that coward man? Haha,” asked Jin Guk.

“Haha, no. It was 2 or 3 weeks ago the first time we met. It was my day off and I went to this 3D art gallery and there we met by accident. We were together the whole afternoon until Manager Hyung called me. I was about to go when u realized I haven’t gotten her name yet. So I asked her but she turned me down,” Soo Hyun said while laughing at his own story.

“She turned you down? Does she know who you are?” asked Jin Guk.

“I don’t think so.”

“You’re right. Who would even turn down the KIM SOO HYUN, haha,” said Jin Guk jokingly.

“Shut up, haha. I’m relieved she doesn’t know me. At least I can be just a regular man sometimes.”

“Yeah. So how’s your Mom and Dad? Do they know about your situation?”

“I think so. They just let me do what I want as long as they know where I’m going.”

They talked for a little while until Jin Guk decided to go inside. Soo Hyun stayed a little longer. He lighted a cigarette to have a smoke. He was on already on his second cigarette when Suzy spoke.

 

Author's NOte:

Hope you all liked it! Give me some love and subscribe, hehe.. Feel free to comment if you have some suggestions.

Annyeong! :D