TWENTYFOUR

Irresistibly Wicked
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The atmosphere around us four is disconcerting. It is taking a number of loud heartbeats yet no one is speaking, or perhaps it’s just the paranoia within my thoughts that is making the time seemingly slow.

Luhan is blinking fast. I can feel the hesitation in his expressions while Jongin continues to eye him ever so blatantly. Luhan gulps down nervously. It’s not just Jongin who's giving him the heated stare though, Sehun's much worst.

How should I break the ice? These three guys are starting to really make me uncomfortable. I really don’t know how to engage this awkwardness into something smooth, when just the weight of their stares can eat the world alive.

"GUYS!" A feminine voice echoes behind me. All of us snap our heads to find Choi Sulli, the girl sauntering towards us with a wide beam stretching her cherry lips. "Finally I found you!" She chimes cheerfully by the next second and she chirps in surprise. "Oh? Luhan! What are you doing here?" She looks on to us one by one, probably seeking for an insertion.

"So you know him too," Jongin asks rather skeptically.

"Ahuh! Luhan's our classmate. " Sulli smiles genuinely at Jongin, then turns back to Luhan. "Hey I'm glad you’re here though, I'm giving out invitations to my Annual Pre-Spring Partyyyy! You should come." Sulli fishes out a handful of invitations from her bag and extends one to Luhan. With a blushing face, Luhan scratches the back of his head in reluctance.

"Uhh.."

Sulli pouts at him, forcing Luhan to take the invitation. She grimaces childishly and distributes the other invitation cards to each of us as well. "Hey I'm expecting you guys to come! I'm organizing this party with aaallll.. myyy.. heart! You guys are coming right??"

For a moment, none of us speaks.

"Of course.." Jongin utters when no one is clearly giving a hint of positivity. He smirks, laying a hand on my shoulder.

I immediately see Sehun fume from the action. His jaw locks in anger, and I’m scared that Jongin will notice it. Ugh! What should I do? Sehun's eyes are glazing and I'm afraid that he'll combust at  any moment.

Frantically, I move away from Jongin's grasp and pretend to read the invitation. Jongin stares at me with a wrinkle of confusion, but I continue to act heedlessly. I seriously am torn of keeping down Sehun's cool and maintaining myself as Jongin's girlfriend, but, right at the moment, I am more frightened of the look that Sehun's showing.

"Uhh.. that's.. good?" Sulli's voice suddenly sounds so nervous and bewildered. She gazes at Sehun very confusedly, feeling the indescribable tension the guy is building. It’s not just me who's seeing it. It’s becoming so obvious and I want him to stop.

God, he is indeed serious when he said that he doesn’t want any guys near me. But crap he's making everything much, much more complicated! He is complicated!

"Well.. I think I need a word with Sehun," Sulli mutters, and with a fast grip, she drags him away. Sehun skids reluctantly, but decides about it and concedes.

Luhan is fidgeting like a confused kid, until finally, he meets my eye. I look at him firmly, and he understands me right away. Thank God there's someone here who discerns the situation rationally! He gives a curt nod before leaving.

I let out the sigh I've been holding. Turning to Jongin, he's staring at me too, deeply and assessively, trying to dig answers in my eye. My chest tightens, frightened that he's starting to figure things out.

I bite my lip.

"Is your practice over?" He asks after a few moments.

"I.. I'm not sure. Why?"

"Because I'm taking you with me… for lunch."

"Oh." I mumble, "O-Okay."

"So where d’you wanna eat?"

"Uhh, cafeteria?" I shrug.

He raises an eyebrow. "Cafeteria?"

"I mean, the Blue Cafeteria.."

He chuckles in amusement, "Really?"

I furrow curiously. "T-That's where Tiffany and I eat most of the time. But if you don’t like it there —"

"N-N-No.. I just… I didn’t expect you'll choose the Cafeteria." He chortles, "Well, to the Cafeteria then."

Jongin walks first. I slap my forehead and hiss to myself realizing I did another honest mistake.

It’s a bit unsettling inside the Cafeteria. Almost all the students surrounding us are secretly staring and it's getting really disturbing. Hissings and whisperings about us are evident yet Jongin seems not to notice, or maybe, he just doesnt care. I look down to the table then up to his face. Again, he's studying me with his dark eyes, fingers tapping the table rhythmically.

"So.." He speaks. I seat myself attentively. "You and Sehun are getting quite close now."

"Uhh, yeah.. since he's uhh.. he's my partner.."

"… and that Tree Boy now's a friend too." He continues.

Tree Boy.

My heart jolts from the way he addressed Luhan. He told me he didn’t care, but he knew. He minded all along.

"Jongin." I sigh.

"What?" He breathes.

I hesitate on what to say. I can’t blame him for thinking suspiciously. I've been clumsy and out of choice. "His name is Luhan, and he's my friend.."

"Friend." He repeats.

"Yes, a friend.. and I like him.. as a f-friend."

Jongin's gazes at me blankly, and then slowly, a he curves his lips into a smile.

"And Jongin?" He asks, childishly.

My mouth drops and my face burns. Jongin is wrinkling his face, waiting.

"Jongin..” I redden, “Jongin is..."

He thins his eyes at me, and he looks painfully gorgeous. My pounding heart is bellowing along the waves, which is scary because he's giving me a push and pull of feelings I know I shouldn’t be having.

"Jongin is…” The speed of my heartbeat is unbearable. Beaten by the pressure, I somewhat combust. “Ugh! I can’t say it!" I sputter in frustration. Jongin laughs blithely, and his laugh is so beautiful. It startles me in a way that travels down my stomach.

The attention from everybody increases. Jongin ruffles his hair, leaning closer.

"You're blushing.."

"O-Of course not." I look from side to side, totally embarrassed with the way they’re all watching. Jongin purses his lip, eyebrows curling in curiosity.

After having a fun yet embarrassing lunch with Jongin, he accompanies me back to the assembly hall and there's the killing stare from Sehun again by the stage. Throughout the continuation of the practice, he's never spoken to me. It disheartens me though he's still keeping himself close. By the time that we're freed from practice, I stand next to Sehun, stupidly watching and following him.

"Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter