1: Set Out

Summer Fun

 

Yukwon sipped on his cold ice tea as he watched Minhyuk load his small backpack into the back of the large four wheel drive. He frowned in distaste as the simmering summer heat beat down on the bright white pavements.

“How did you even manage to get him out of the house?” his older brother, Yushin, scoffed as Minhyuk and Taeil finished packing all the gear and bags into the cramped boot of the car.

Kyung and Jiho both shook their heads, apparently still in disbelief that Yukwon had even left his room, let alone his house. “We’re still in shock. Maybe Jihoon paid him,” Kyung mused.

“He still wouldn’t leave the house even if you paid him a billion won,” Jaehyo snorted, smearing sunscreen on his pink cheeks.

Yukwon had had enough of his supposed friends making fun of his aversion to the outside world. Really, he only locked himself in during summer. He was fine during the rest of the year.

“Are we going on this stupid trip or are you all going to keep mocking me?” Yukwon huffed.

“Alright princess Kwonnie, we’re leaving,” Jaehyo laughed. 

“Don’t patronize me Jaehyo,” Yukwon snarled before jumping into the backseat of the vehicle, ignoring the rest of his companions.

“How dare that brat talk back to his elders,” Jaehyo muttered, following Yukwon into the car with a grim scowl.

Yushin gave Taeil’s back a small pat. “Good luck.”

“We’ll make sure he comes back in one piece,” Minhyuk assured. “That’s if he and Jaehyo haven’t ripped each other’s throats out.”

“I don’t care what happens to him. Just make sure he gets laid. A twenty year old bachelor that hasn’t even had his first kiss. That kid brings shame to the Kim family,” Yushin said, shaking his head.

Jiho let out a laugh before climbing into the back behind the still bickering Yukwon and Jaehyo. “We’ll make sure to uphold your family’s honour,” he called from the car.

Taeil and Jihoon climbed into the front while Kyung joined Jiho in the back. Minhyuk sat in between Yukwon and Jaehyo to keep the two from clawing each other’s innards out.

“Don’t crash!” Yushin called as Taeil reversed out of the driveway. Yukwon couldn’t do much but offer his older brother his middle finger as the car drove further and further away from the cold sanctuary of his home.

“Hey, let’s sing a song!” Jihoon suggested. Hey, let’s throw Yukwon out of this loving vehicle, Yukwon thought grimly.

He let his head drop in shame as Jiho let out a loud sound that seemed to be a horrid combination of a yodel and a battle screech. Yukwon realized, much to his horror, that this was Jiho’s vain attempt at singing. Kyung joined in soon enough, and before Yukwon could block his ears, the car was filled with the sound of tragic yodeling and dying cats.

What had he done to deserve such torture?


“Don’t tell me you’re asleep too Kwonnie?”

Yukwon slowly wrenched his eyes open at the sound of his unholy nickname being called. How had he managed to fall asleep after the relentless assault on his ears courtesy of Jiho and Kyung’s incessant singing was still a vague mystery. Groggily, he peeked outside to check where they were.

“We’re in Suwon?” he asked, leaning over the sleeping Jihoon.

Taeil nodded with a tired yawn. “All you kids have been asleep and left me to drive. It’s getting dark, so we should find somewhere to sleep.”

And surely enough, the sky outside was painted vivid hues of pink and orange with the sun slowly making its way below the horizon. Yukwon had to admit, the sight was beautiful. It was something he’d never properly laid eyes on, only seeing sunsets on the television.

Yukwon sat back in his seat, shoving Jaehyo over, who was leaning dangerously close to his shoulder. His previous irritation had managed to subside, and he was surprised to see that he was somewhat enjoying himself. That’s right, Kim Yukwon was actually beginning to enjoy himself. Maybe it was due to the fact that the rest of his noisy companions had tired themselves out and were thoroughly knocked out. Yukwon, with a devilish smirk on his face, pulled out his phone.

“What are you doing?” Taeil whispered, eyeing the younger male through the rear view mirror.

“Creating memories. Isn’t that what this trip is about?”

With a quiet cackle, Yukwon began taking photos of his innocent, unconscious friends, like a maniacal photographer. He giggled at the sight of Kyung and Jiho cuddling. Minhyuk seemed to be the only normal one with his mouth slightly agape. Jaehyo, on the other hand, had his mouth wide open, and at first, Yukwon was worried that insects would fly through the open window and into the man’s mouth. Then he realized that he didn’t care. Jihoon was sprawled over the dashboard, which made it slightly difficult for Taeil to drive, but he managed to weave around the boy’s bulky frame.

Yukwon leaned over Taeil’s shoulder with a gleeful look on his face. “Do you think Jaehyo will get angry if I post these online?”

“He’ll stab you with a pitch fork if you ruin his ulzzang image,” Taeil scoffed.

“What ulzzang image?”

Taeil rolled his eyes at the younger’s juvenile behavior, but he was glad that Yukwon was beginning to have fun. After all, the boy did deserve to be happy.
 


Sorry for the long delay! I've finally finished school for the year, and I've finally got the time to write a lot more. A short chapter just to get things going. Laters, my kawaii chingus ~ (∪ ◡ ∪)