Prologue

Summer Fun

Yukwon had always hated Summer. Everything about the damn season irritated him - the stifling heat that seemed to radiate from all around him and the humid, unbearably hot air, the loud cicadas on the trees in his neighbour’s backyard, the pungent smell of sweat and sunscreen, and the influx of tourists that travelled to Seoul. He hated the way his t-shirt would cling onto his sweat-drenched body for dear life. And he couldn’t even begin to describe his utmost dislike for mosquitoes. The pests did nothing more then his blood and annoy the hell out of him.

Yukwon didn’t know if he was born with this innate hatred for the sunny season - one day; he just woke up and decided that hey, this was his least favourite season. All he knew was that as soon as the first of June arrived each year, a grimace would grace his face as he muttered “summer” with a hint of acid in his voice.

So why he decided to agree to Jihoon’s suggestions of a Summer road trip, up to this day even Yukwon doesn’t know. He could have stayed in the air-conditioned confines of his apartment, catching up in the latest chapters of his favourite manga, One Piece. He could have lazed around in his cold bed watching documentaries on the Antarctic while consuming excessive amounts of frozen confection arises. However, Yukwon had already said yes to the eager, puppy-like teenage boy, and thus he was subjected to what his friends had dubbed as “Summer fun”.