Three Days

Alike

New York City 11 years later

 

Sunni now looks the part of a typical New York Fashionista. At age 17 she now has long brown hair with bleached bangs and a bleached under-layer that always changes colors, a flawless model face with fierce hazel-green eyes and she always wears the perfect outfit, today she sports a sheik vintage- looking little black dress, a galaxy jacket, and a pair of black galaxy-wedged lace up boots, which she holds in her hands. Her black canvas messenger bag, covered in patches, buttons and signatures, is slung over her shoulder.

She looks herself over in her full length mirror inside her bedroom again. She checks her makeup and makes sure her dress is situated before she opens the door and walks out into the living room.

She can see her father, Bae Kiji, seated at the kitchen table reading the newspaper. Her mother, Min Hee Kiji is setting out eggs and bacon. That is an odd sight to Sunni. Her mother is the most typical Korean mother out there, always setting out rice and soup and the whole lot for breakfast.

“Omma.” Sunni set her shoes and bag by the door and walked into the kitchen, “What's the occasion?” Her mother smiled and gestured to a seat.

“Eat.” Sunni raised her eyebrow at her mother and sat down to eat.

“Omma..” Sunni looked at her mother who sat eating in silence between bites. Her father had put down the newspaper and was eating as well. “Appa.” She looked to her father. His resolve was weaker than her mother's. Her sighed and put down his fork.

“Sun Hee,” He called her by her Korean name as always, “It's about the company.” Sunni put down her fork and looked at her father. Her eyes were full of concern.

“Is it doing badly?”

“No.. quite the opposite really.” He looked at his puzzled daughter, “I'm not needed here anymore. I need to make sure that the Korean branch is running as smoothly as it is here.”

“So you're moving?”

“Yes..well...”

“We all are.” Her mother smiled at her. “We're moving back to Korea.” Sunni gulped.

“When?” she glanced at both of her parents, “Soon?”

“Three days,”

“It's the middle of the school year!” She sighed, “That kinda .” she smiled at her parents, “Seoul?” Her mother laughed, relieved.

“I was worried you'd be angry.”

“Omma, Korea is my home as much as it's yours. I lived there for five years. The first five years I had a real home and family. I'm happy to go back” Sunni placed her plate in the sink and went to the door to put on her shoes, and grab her car keys and bag. Her eyes widened suddenly as she turned to her parents, “Wait.” they both looked at her curiously, “I'm gonna have to wear a uniform aren't I?” She stood up shook her head as her parents laughed. “Let's just hope it takes a while to receive it.”

 

Sun Hee's P.O.V

The corridor was always silent in the mornings. Always. Every morning I walked down the corridor hearing nothing but the sound of my footsteps and my thoughts. Usually my footsteps were much louder than my thoughts. Today was an exception.

My thoughts didn't focus on the fact that so many rich americans slept in and that almost every floor in the luxury loft apartments was eerily silent because of it. Nope. Today my thoughts were completely occupied with the fact that I, I, was going back to Korea. We were going home!

This thought both excited and terrified me. I mean, Korea is my home and I miss it terribly, but I will once again have to wear the dreaded school uniform, although the high school uniforms are significantly better than grade school uniforms. Also, I was finally going to feel right.

I know it's probably the weirdest thing anyone has ever heard. After all I look American and I was born in America. But I've been living with my Korean parents for practically my entire life. People would argue that Korean is my second language because I learned it at age 5, but if you consider that I hardly spoke at all until I was five and then learned Korean and spoke it all the time and it's still the primary language I speak in at home, I would differ.

I was raised as a Korean girl. There's nothing more to it. I'm Korean in heart, mind, and culture. It's just my appearance that's foreign. And I'll be damned if I wasn't excited that I was finally going home.

My body carried itself to the elevator and mindlessly pushed the P1 for the parking garage where my beautiful red jeep awaited me. That was another thing. I probably wouldn't get to keep my jeep in korea. And That was probably the iest thing about leaving New York, you know aside from my friends, scratch that, friends is being used loosely if I call everyone I talk to at school friends. Aside from leaving Mike. Yes, much better.

My footsteps echoed as I stepped out of the parking garage and made my way to my baby. I clicked the unlock button, opened the door and took of the top. It was a good day. Might as well feel the wind. I started the engine and prepared myself for the ridiculous New York Traffic I was about to face. Can't wait to leave that behind.

Speaking of leaving things behind, there's Mike. No. Not my boyfriend, more like my Oppa. He's been taking care of me since I was two and got dumped in the same orphanage as him. I probably never said two words to him during my stay but he took care of me nonetheless.

Not to mention he never forgot me. I still remember the day we came back to New york. I was playing kickball when he bounded up to me. This tall boy running up to me. His blond hair was bobbing wildly and his blue eyes were rimmed with tears...

 

A ten year old girl giggled with her new friends as they stood in line to kick. She was up next. She flashed them all a grin and was about to signal for the 'pitcher' to roll the ball when a tall boy came into view. He was running towards them like a mad man. His blond shaggy hair was bobbing up and down. His blue eyes were rimmed with tears.

The girl took a step back as he ran closer. She'd hardly been in America for a few days and it was still a bit scary. His big blue eyes looked straight at her. She took another step back.

“Sunni!” He screamed her name and she froze. He knew her. He knew her. Her eyes widened as she remembered a little boy with blond hair and blue eyes handing her a doll. “Sunni!”

The girl blinked as she tried to remember his name. “Mike?” The question in her voice was evident. He was three steps away from her now and grinning like an idiot.

“Sunni! You remember me.” She was pulled into a giant hug and spun around. Later her friends would ask her how she knew a middle schooler if she just came to America.

 

I giggled at the memory. He always had a habit of showing up and yelling my name out of nowhere. I pulled into the school parking lot and parked my jeep. I hopped out and began to fix the top back on my jeep. I was almost done when I heard the familiar screaming of a silly Oppa with blond hair.

“Sunni!” I looked over to see Mike running across the parking lot; his blond hair was bouncing everywhere as usual. I laughed at the sight.

“Think of the devil..” I murmured as he approached, while I finished situating my jeep and procuring my bag. “Oppa.” I smiled as he stood out of breath in front of me, “what brings you here?”

“I had to tell you something.” He grinned at me. I smiled back at him.

“I have something to tell you, too.” I started to make my way across the school parking lot with Mike in toe. He may not have a class to get to but I did and I wasn't going to be late.

We both waited for the other to say something. He didn't say anything so I assumed I was supposed to go first.

“I'm leaving!” We both looked at each other as our lips moved in sync. “What? You are?”

“Where?” Mike seemed angry. I can't imagine why though.

“Korea.” I smiled at him, “we're moving home. What about you? Where are you going?”

“California.” His smile had returned, “I got into that University I told you about. You know the one with the program with orphans.”

“Congrats!” I gave him his well deserved hug when the warning bell rang. “Oppa! I've got to go! Make sure you see me off!” I started running down the hallway we managed to walk to, “Three days!”