The One

LISTEN

2 weeks ago

“Please fill these columns,” said the practice room’s teacher while gave me a pen.

“Okay,” I nodded, took the pen and wrote down on her book.

Lee Chae Yeon

1-4

Singing section

15.00-16.00

And then, I gave the pen back to her. She checked it and let me in, “Okay. Take your time, Lee Chae Yeon.” She smiled at me. Then I went in to the practice room. I threw my bag and my green blazer, the singing section’s color, on the chairs.

I took my musical scores out of my bag and I put it on the table.  Today, I’ll learn how to sing this new song, ‘Habanera’ from Bizet’s opera, Carmen. Umm, yea, I have some difficulties with classical songs. I took some papers from the table and cleared my throat. I opened my bag and searched my water bottle. After I found it, I drank a lot to keep my throat fresh.

I took my solfeggio papers first. I was warming up. “Aa.. Aa.. Aa..” I took a half tone higher after each note. I tried to enjoy myself. Usually, this way success to make me ‘into the song’. So, I keep my voice loud and made it higher and higher. Now, I made some improvisations, I made 5-10 bars songs to enjoy my singing. One octave, two octaves. Up and down. Crescendo and decrescendo.

Then, my ears caught some notes. It’s not my voice, so I stopped singing. I listened to it and tried to find where the voice was coming. I listened to it very carefully and I realized that this person was just playing my solfeggio notes on… a musical instrument. I blushed because it was embarrassing to hear someone play the notes that just come out from your mind. I opened the left door, which will connect me to the instrument section’s practice room. It’s piano. The piano played my solfeggio.

I saw someone. A guy. He wore a blue blazer, the instrument section’s color, as I guessed. He sat on the piano’s chair. His right leg push the right pedal, and his left leg push the middle pedal. He was still playing my solfeggio. He put the crescendo and decrescendo exactly like how I put it. He danced his finger on the piano key.

Now, he added more improvisations. He added more notes and slurs. He put more ties and trills. I couldn’t resist it. I started to open my mouth and sing. I sang the notes he has just played and sang along with the song. Then, he stopped. I stopped too and realized that I have disturbed someone’s practice.

I wanted to bow my body and said sorry. But, I couldn’t do it. My body froze and nothing came from my mouth. I know who he is. He is Zhang Yi Xing. Senior Lay. The genius from instrumental section. He stood up and took a step forward. I stood up too. At a second, both of us did nothing, just staring each other. Then, without even thinking, I ran, took my bag and ran out from the practice room. What the hell I am doing?

###

13 days ago

I was still curious with the yesterday thing. Since I hear Senior Lay’s play on the piano, I couldn’t forget it. The tone attracted my attention and his face when he saw me flew in front of my eyes. I took the same time as yesterday in the practice room. I was hoping that he’ll take the same time too, so I could hear his play again.

I threw my bag on the same chair. I pulled out my musical scores. Then, I did nothing. Umm, dazing away. Oh my God, I was so nervous. My back was calling me and said, “Open the connecting door! Open it!” all the times. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. Calm down, Chae Yeon. Today, I must pay my mistakes yesterday. I must practice today.

So, as I did yesterday, I started with my solfeggio. One octave, two octaves. Ascending and descending.  Crescendo and decrescendo. C major, G major, D major, A major, E major, B major, back to C. Then, after I felt ready, I started my piece. I started with the chorus that I remembered. “L'amour est enfant de Bohême, Il n'a jamais, jamais connu de loi, Si tu ne m'aime pas, je t'aime, Si je t'aime, prend garde à toi! “

“Gsraak!”

Someone opened the connecting door. Automatically, I stopped my piece. I took a look at the connecting door. Suddenly, my leg was shaking. I opened my eyes widely. My musical scores slipped from my hand. I rubbed my eyes, still didn’t believe what I saw. It was him.

He smiled at me. He bowed his body and collected my musical scores. Oh my God, how can I embarrass myself? He gave me the papers and I took it. I looked into his eyes. They were so mesmerize. They me into a new world. Then, he made his face close to mine. “Are you okay?” he asked.

Suddenly, I forgot what I’ve just done. I lost my mind and couldn’t think anything. But, luckily, I still remember how to answer that kind of question. “Um.. y.. yes,” I said it awkwardly.

Oh my gosh, why is Senior Lay come to my room? What is he doing beside this room when I sang? Is he listening to my voice? My thought mixed in my head. I felt dizzy. “Um.. you are Senior Lay, right?” I bravely asked him.

He blushed a little bit. Knowing that you are popular is a little bit embarrassing thing, ya know. He scratched his neck, nervous, I thought. Then he nodded. “Zhang Yi Xing. Yes,” he said to insist. Then, he added, “Umm.. Just ‘Lay’, please.”

I blushed. I was sure it was as red as a tomato. I bent my head over the floor, looked at my shoes. Lay. He asked me to call him just ‘Lay’. I was just wondering how many girls want to be in my position right now.  After a very long moment (that I felt), he asked me, “You are Lee Chae Yeon, am I right?”

I surprised because he knew my name. I nodded and tried to ask where he found it out. But, before I even opened my mouth, he chuckled. “I knew it from the practice room’s teacher yesterday,” he said it frankly like he could read my mind. Then, he bent his head as I did several minutes ago and scratched his neck, “Umm, yes, I asked her because I curious with the girl who sang along with the improvisation which I made from her solfeggio.”

Argh. As I guessed, he played my solfeggio! He played it! He really listened to my solfeggio and played it! O man, I hope I could travel back to yesterday and sing the best solfeggio I can. And.. he said that he curious about me. Yes, you are not reading it wrong. HE SAID HE CURIOUS ABOUT ME. A man that every women desired to be their lover, every men desired to be their best friend and partner, and every teachers desired to be their student, said that he curious about me. I wasn’t exaggerating this thing, but yes, he is very popular.

“Uum.. Senior.. um, Lay,” I stopped and blushed, “Were you playing my solfeggio yesterday?”

He nodded, “yes.”

“Why?”

He stopped, thinking. “Because……, I want to.”

I kept silent. This answered wasn’t the same as I expected. He gave me an abstract answer. I furrowed my forehead and looked at him. “You want to..?”

He nodded and scratched his neck again. “It’s like.. um.. why did you sing along to my improvisation?”

I thought a while and then answered him, “Because……, I want to.”

He nodded, “exactly. That was what I felt.” After that, a silent moment again. Then, he took the papers I held. “Can you sing it again?”

I looked at his face, nodded, and then suddenly I have stood beside the piano. He played some notes on the piano. I sang along it. I didn’t know, but it just flew itself. My voice just followed his piano lead. And, I could read what will he played. It was a wonderful day.

Several minutes later, we were sitting next to each other and talking about our current-studying song. He said to me that he has ever played my song. And I said I knew the piece he was learning, it was Liszt’s hard one. I didn’t use any charm, but thanks to God I could know this genius person.

“Chae Yeon,” he called my name. I looked up to his face from the paper I was learning. “I want you to be my partner,” he stopped his line. I held my breath. What? His partner? “For the final exam,” he added.

Oh yea, I almost totally forgot it. Of course, the final exam. In the final exam, the students must make a group consist of 3 people. One person from the singing section, one person from the instrument section, and one person from the composing section. The conducting section will have their final exam on their own. They will conduct a group consist of several people from the instrument section, like an orchestra.

###

12 days ago

“riiinnggg..”

The break time bell rang. Everybody started to go out from the class. I took a step forward from my seat to go to my best friend’s class in 1-1. I put my earphone on and didn’t pay attention to the way. Accidentally I struck on someone. I bowed and said sorry. Then, I saw this person’s face. It was him.

“Hey, Chae Yeon,” he greet me. I flew to the 7th sky. Lay met me at my class? “The teacher asked me to give these to the class representative,” he said and gave me a bunch of papers. Oh my God, I was over-confident, he wasn’t coming for me. I nodded and took it. I said thank you to him. And when I about to turn around and call the class representative and give the paper, he grabbed my left arm and whispered right on my ear, “How about my offer, Chae Yeon? I’m waiting for your answer.”

Then, he let go of my arm and turn around, walked back to his class. I looked at him and just wondering that he was serious yesterday. I thought again and decided at that second. I put the papers on the first line desk and ran over him. I didn’t brave enough to call his name in front of this crowd.

After I reached him, I grabbed his blazer. He surprised, I could felt it in his back’s move, and took a look back. When he saw my face, he turned around. Even before him asking, I answered him, “Yes.”

He furrowed his forehead. “Yes?”

“Yes. Yes, I wanna be your partner,” I said it without even thinking. My body and mouth just move by itself.

He smiled and then he patted my head. “Meet me in the practice room at the same time tomorrow,” he said to me. Then he left.

---

 

The first chapter. First, I thought to make it oneshoot but it's too short, so I'll make it in several chapters. They still felt awkward, so, sorry for the awkward fic one. I'll add the terror thing in the next chapter. Comment and subscribe please. hope you'll like it :DD