Chapter 9

I Don't Need A Man

This… was not how I imagined it to be. I reread the massages one more time.

‘I can’t come, I have a date. Why are you telling me now? You should’ve told me before. Humph,’ from Taek Yeon.

‘Lotte World? Now? I can’t. I have an… unfinished business,’ from Si Wan.

‘Both of you should just burn in hell! It’s my first day of inhaling fresh air and you guys are ditching me! Don’t ever come to me again when you need help!’ I replied them in, annoyed. How could they? Ditching me like this.

I was about to throw my phone and step on it repeatedly when Soo Hyun Oppa came and asked me what’s going on.

“I told Taek and Si Wan to come but… they’re… they’re ditching me! I’m going to kill them.’ I told him.

“Hey, isn’t this supposed to be a double date? Why are you inviting them, anyway?” he raised his eyebrows.

I glared at him. “This is supposed to be your date with Geun Young Onni and I’ll take care of Il Woo Oppa when my friends supposedly coming to help me! How come I never plan anything right?” I gritted my teeth.

I heard Soo Hyun Oppa sighed, and I looked up to see his face. He smiled softly and … what was that? Did my heart just thumped louder? No… no, it must be the music from one of the stands. Loud music can make you misheard things. Or misjudge things.

“That's nice of you. I might have my chance later. Now, let’s go,” he held out his hand. I hesitated for a moment before I took it and he pull me as he run toward Il Woo Oppa and Geun Young Onni, who were waiting at the entrance. Was the music getting louder or was it my heart that thumping faster? Please stop looking back and smiling at me.

We entered the amusement Park, Il Woo Oppa at front followed by Geun Young Onni behind him. Soo Hyun Oppa followed behind her while I tagged along because he was still holding my hand. I don’t know how to picture this group… Il Woo Oppa clearly still pissed at the fact that me and Soo Hyun Oppa are (pretended to be) dating, although he and the other Oppas stated that they don’t have any right to make me unhappy, he walked in fast manner while Geun Young Onni tried to pace her steps to walk next to him. Soo Hyun Oppa purposely walking behind Geun Young Onni and watch her every steps. While me… I found myself looking at Soo Hyun Oppa and then Geun Young Onni, and then back to Soo Hyun and felt something like a pinch in my chest. What was that? Hmm… that must be a kind of pity I felt for him, wasn’t it?

Then, like he just remembered that I was there he turned and smiled. Ugh, the music was too loud again. “What do you want to ride first?” he asked.

“Anything?” I answered hesitantly.

“Do you want to ride the cars first? It seems like a lot of fun, don’t you think?” He pulled me to arena where people ride cars and bumped it to each other.

I felt a tuck in my stomach and I quickly pulled myself back. “N… no. I don’t want to ride that,” I shook my head.

“Why? It seems like a lot of fun. Come on,” he tucked me, but I tried to stand my ground. I’m not…going there. I’m never going there.

I felt another hand in my shoulder and I looked back. It was Il Woo Oppa, seemed irritated. He pulled me from Soo Hyun Oppa and took me away, followed by Geun Young Onni.

“What’s wrong?” Geun Young Onni asked.

“I can’t ride those kinds of game,” I told him, and I saw Soo Hyun Oppa followed from the corner of my eyes. He smiled apologetically.

“Really? Why?” Geun Young Onni curious.

“I… I can’t stand the…,”

“Turbulence,” Il Woo Oppa answered before I finished my words.

“Right, the turbulence,” I nodded.

She looked concerned. “Is that means you can’t ride Roller Coaster as well?”

I looked to Il Woo Oppa and he sent me a ‘sorry’ look. “Of course I can.” I smiled awkwardly. “It’s just involved the ride that bumping each other, usually.”

“Good, then,” Geun Young Onni said, and she took my arm and we clung to each other. I really like her. It will be a pity if she chooses Soo Hyun Oppa instead. Pity for me…. Eh? What was that again? I must have eaten the wrong food at breakfast.

Geun Young Onni turned around to Soo Hyun Oppa and said. “Soo Hyun-ah… , you’re lucky to be able to date girl as sweet as Hyo Na, you know. You have to treasure her, understand? I won’t forgive you if you hurt her.” She pulled me toward Il Woo Oppa who was waiting on the Roller Coaster queue.

“Understood,” he said in small voice I could hear. Bitter. His laugh.

I looked back and it pained me seeing his bitter laugh. I pitied him. Just pity… it’s just a pity feeling. No more.
I took myself off of Geun Young Onni after we reached Il Woo Oppa and went to Soo Hyun Oppa. “Hyun Oppa… Are you okay?”
He still looked bitter one second, but his expression changed to a bright smile the next second. “I’m fine. What are you worried about?”

“But, Hyun Oppa…,” I grabbed his shirt.

He held my hand with both of his hand and took my hands off of his shirt. “I’m okay.” Then he cupped his hand on my face. “Things that Geun Youngie said didn’t hurt me at all. She was right. You are being so nice to me and I have to treasure it.” He smiled sweetly.

The music was too loud. My heart going to burst.

“Now, come on. We’re going to miss the ride,” he took me to the queue where they were waiting. I think I will need to go to Doctor Lee and get a checkup. My heart is not functioning right.

***

Well, this was awkward. We were having our lunch. I looked to the table on my left, a couple was sharing a bowl of ice cream sundae and feeding each other. I looked to my right, a family with a cute girl being spoiled by her parents, and I looked back to our table. I sighed. Four people, who are supposed to be in double dating, but could not even look to each other eyes. We’ve been sitting in silent for God know how many minutes, or hours now.

“The haunted house was creepy,” I said just to break the ice.

“Yeah…,” Il Woo Oppa said.

“It was,” Geun Young Onni nodded.

“Not really…,” Soo Hyun Oppa mumbled.

And more silent.

I couldn’t take this any longer. “I’m going to skating arena,” I took my drink and got away as fast as I could, ignoring their protest and all the ‘what’s and ‘where are you going’s. I’ll just let that love triangle dealt among themselves. Why did I take any part in it anyway? I just wanted to have fun!

“I said wait!” A hand pulled me back and stopped me at the entrance of the skating arena.

“Hyun Oppa? What are you doing here? Go back to Geun Young Onni!” I told him off.

“How could I come back to another girl while my date is skating by herself?” he said tiredly. “Hyo Na-ya… we’re on a date. You’re not supposed to take off by yourself and leave me behind… in the most uncomfortable position. Between Il Woo and Geun Young.”

“But… I thought I was giving you the chance. Because, it’s usually Il Woo Oppa who will chase after me and he’ll leave you with Geun Young Onni,” I told him.

“Geun Young is not leaving Il Woo going anywhere alone. She… loves him,” it hurts him. Those words he was saying hurting him. It pinched my heart too. It wasn’t just a small pinch. It quite hurts.

I took my hand off his, and I went to hug him. “I’m sorry.”
He sighed but then he hugged me back for a moment before he chuckled. “There’s nothing to be sorry of,” He said as he let go of me. His expression changed bright again, like it has an on/off button. “Let’s go skating!”

Why does he have to hide his feeling? It must be hurting him so much. Was all this bright smiles and attitude just a mask? How does a real Kim Soo Hyun look like? Does he also smiles like this? Does he went and play around like this? Why wouldn’t you show yourself… at least to me?

“What’s with the long face?” he asked while he took our skating shoes to the benches. “Don’t tell me, I made you sad?” His small eyes got rounder.

“I’m not sad. I was… just thinking about something,” I said as I sat next to him and tried to put on my shoe.

“Good, don’t make my problem your burden. I already made a mistake involving you in this. If only I could undo it,” he put on his left shoe.

”You would undo the date?” It made me kind of sad... that he would rather go somewhere right now than being here.
He laughed. “No, silly…. I enjoy the date. Being with you is always fun. It’s just I regret you had to be grounded because of me.”

“I wouldn’t get the free tickets if I wasn’t grounded,” I smiled.

“That’s it. Keep smiling. I always love your smile… it always made my day,” he said and he led me to the skating arena.

He could not hear my heartbeat right? If he could he will know that it’s thumping like a bird’s heart. Too fast, too loud. What is this feeling? My face was feeling hot. Was it because I stood on the ice? Or was it… his smile?

“Come, let’s dance! It’s Tchaikovsky’s Waltz!” He took me into his arm and he put his hand around my waist while another one holding my hand.

“I… can’t dance,” I answered him breathlessly.

“I’ll teach you, just stay in my arm and follow my moves. We’ll going to dance on the ice,” he said as we started to move around the arena.

He grinned, then his eyes met mine and that smile showed again, that sweet and soft smile. My heart might blow up.