Over You

Crush

 

“We broke up, again.”

Swallowing your food, you looked up to see him standing there, a sad smile on his face. Feeling your heart break from the heartbreaking look in his eyes, you motioned for him to sit down. Sending him a sad smile, you nodded your head.

“Again?”

He nodded.

“So, in a span of two weeks, she’s broken your heart.”

He nodded again.

“Twice.”

Once again he nodded, before rested his head on his palm.

“I don’t know. This time is different.”

“How so?”

You asked, taking another bite out of your burger before pushing your fries toward him. He grabbed one and stuffed it in his mouth.

“She called me and told me she was sad, but I told her I couldn’t do it anymore. I mean…” He drifted off before drinking some of your soda. “I’m just tired of all of it. Of being unhappy, with her.”

You nodded your head in agreement.

“I mean, you seem a little happier now that you two are separated. Wouldn’t you rather be happy apart than miserable together?”

“Yeah, you’re right.”

You smiled and patted him on the shoulder. He laughed and ruffled your hair.

“I’m the older one; don’t try to treat me like a kid.”

You both laughed before the bell rang, signaling that lunch was now over. He threw away your unfinished food and stood up. Signaling for you to follow him, you both walked out of the cafeteria and into the now full hallways. Stealing a glimpse at him, you smiled to yourself.

He was always happier when she wasn’t around.

“Jang Dongwoo.”

“Hm?” He stopped walking and looked back at you.

“Don’t be so sad. I like it better when you smile.”

You said before hitting him on the head and walking to class.

“Yah!” He yelled, laughing and watching your retreating figure.

“That girl.” He mumbled, smiling to himself while he walked to class.

 

 

“Hey didn’t Dongwoo and his girl break up?” Your friend Myungsoo asked you.

Confused about the question, you looked up at and raised an eyebrow.

“Yes.”

“Then why are they holding hands and laughing like they’re a couple?”

Looking out the library window, you noticed the couple laughing happily, like nothing happened. Frowning you shook your head and sighed. Dongwoo looked up and both of your eyes connected. Shocked, he looked down and dragged her away.

“Done with her?” You laughed. “Yeah right.”

Myungsoo looked at you and frowned.

“If you like him, you should just tell him.”

“There’s no point now,” You started, flipping a page of your book. “Obviously, he still has feelings for her.”

Irritated, you closed your book and put it back on the shelf. Standing up, you grabbed your bag and turned to face him.

“And I’m not going to waste my time chasing someone who’s in love with another person. I’d be the only one getting hurt.”

“Then stop looking so sad.” He mumbled, wiping a tear you didn’t realize you let escape.

Sniffling you smiled at him. “I’ll be fine.”

 

 

“Hey!” You heard Dongwoo’s voice as he sat down across from you at your regular lunch table.

Looking up, you smiled and finished up your lunch. You threw it away and stood up. Confused, he grabbed your wrist and pulled you closer to him.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Are you sure? I haven’t seen you in a week, and you were just going to leave me? What’s wrong?”

Shaking your head, you gently removed your wrist from his grip.

“I told you it’s nothing Dongwoo, I’m just… over you. Okay?”

“What do you mean over me?” He asked taking a step toward you.

Placing your hand on his chest, you stopped him from coming closer. You smiled and pointed toward his girlfriend and waved. She waved back before turning back to her friends.

“She’s waiting for you. You wouldn’t want to keep her waiting, right?”

Seeing the confused and hurt expression on his face broke your heart, but you shook it off and your heel.

You walked out the cafeteria, hand covering your mouth. You walked to the back of the school and sat down on the bleachers. Wrapping your arms around yourself, you bit your lip. Feeling your body shake, you unwillingly let the tears fall.

He’s not worth it. I’ll be okay. Something’s just aren’t meant to be.