Rest

New World

"Tao, what is that?" I questioned, referring to the disc he held in his palm, softly it with his thumb. 

"You'll see later." Was his response before stuffing the object into the pocket of his black jeans. He walked over to the couch and fell backwards onto it. Each pillow and blanket that rested on its surface before, rebounded off the couch and down to the floor upon his heavy landing. I crawled across the ground and made a small bed out of the clutter, before laying on it and closing my eyes. 

"Sun-ah." Tao said softly. "You can take the couch if you want.." He suggested. I rejected him. My reasoning being the fact that I was too lazy to move from the comfy space I had claimed on the floor. 

It wasn't before long that Tao had fallen asleep. He always seemed to be tired. Between his job and school, as well as entertaining me constantly, he was a busy guy. I knew for a fact that he was a night owl, and had trouble falling asleep before at least 1:30 AM each night, and with his bad sleeping habits came dark circles under his eyes making him resemble a panda. As Tao stirred in his sleep, one of his hands flung over the edge of the couch. I reached for it and started carefully playing with his long fingers. He must have woken up a little, because soon I found his fingers winding around my own until our hands were interlocked. The comfort of his grip was enough to send me into the dreamworld in no time.

I dreamt of Tao. I had dreams of us being together as a couple. He would have his arm around me as normal, but suddenly, he would lean in for a kiss. He would ask me to sleep over, and while we shared his bed he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me firmly to his frontside. It all seemed so real. The only indication of it being a dream was that everytime Tao would do something out of the ordinary, a blinding light would block my vision so that I could no longer see his face. Thinking back on this dream now, however, makes me realize how strange it felt. To imagine Tao as more than he already was to me. A friend, a brother, a security blanket. 

I suddenly woke up in a lot of pain. Tao was on top of me, looking distressed, disgruntled, and sleepy eyed. When he realized he was crushing me with his weight he lept up to his feet.

"Oh my god, Sun. Are you okay? I must have fallen of the couch when I was asleep." 

"I'm fine. What time is it?" I said, rubbing my arm which had been squished under Tao's body. 

"Well by the position of the sun, and the light outside I would say its about 12:00 AM."

I was about to smak Tao's arm, but he grabbed my wrist before I could. "It always looks like that outside, and what sun. You're hurting my wrist you ninja."

"Time." Tao recited into the room. Four bright numbers illuminated on the wall behind the couch, reading 5:46 pm. 

"You were a bit off." I . 

"Sorry for not being able to see through up through the dirt and have the sun tell me the time of day. I only have this Sun." He poked my face, and placed his hands on his thighs. His faced changed from a grin to a concerned face.

"Sun-ah... where is the key?" He questioned me hurridly. 

"What key..?"

"The white thing Wu Fan gave me. Where is it!?" He basically yelled while throwing the cushions of the couch to the floor, some of them hitting my face. 

I looked under the couch to see the small white chip contrasting with the darkness of the rest of the room. It seemed to even glow a bit.

"Found it." I held the thing close to my face. It was smooth like an eggshell, and no bigger than my thumb. "This thing is a key?"

"Something like that. Thank god I didn't lose it." He snatched it out of my palm and placed it back in his jeans. He reached down and smoothed out my hair, which was knotted from my nap. "Thank you Sunni." Tao smiled at me cutely. "Let's go have some fun." He stood up off the couch and extended an arm down to help me off the floor. I grabbed his hand and before I knew it, he was pulling me out the door.