A Normal Day

New World

"Sunnnnnnnn. Get your lazy up. 

My name was repetitvely called out ,with increasing volume, each time I refused to get out of my bed. When I finally managed to open my eyes, a blown up image of my brother's face spread across the ceiling greeted me. This was obviously one of his dumb jokes. 

"MINSEOK." I yelled out sleepily. He came running into my room. "Since when was it okay to change my ceiling alarm setting from "Peaceful Meadow" to "Giant Annoying Brother"?" 

He crouched onto my bed a giggling before stripping the covers off my body. "Get ready for school, Sunshine. Tao is waiting for you in the kitchen." 

"Xiumin, did you wake her up yet?" Tao's audacious voice rang from down the hall. My elder brother smiled at me before bounding out of my room to keep Tao entertained. I honestly would have killed him by now if it wasn't for the fact that he was so damn cute, and the only family member I had left. 

Although it didn't really take much effort on my part, I started prepping myself for the day/ I went to the bathroom, and stepped in the shower. As soon as it sensed my presence, it sprayed me with the perfect amount of water, shampoo, conditioner, and soap to leave me smelling and feeling fresh.  As I emerged after a refreshing two minutes, the room around me changed to be a balmy 33 degrees celsius, so I wouldn't catch a case of the post-shower goosebumps. I slid myself in front of the mirror. 

"The usual." I recited. This command was followed by a blast of warm air, which left my hair completely dry, accompanied by some beachy waves. I didn't bother with makeup, mostly because I was too afraid of the machine stabbing me in the eye with eyeliner, and because I've been too lazy to program it to do makeup yet. I dragged my tired feet back into my stark white room. I never really liked my bedroom. It was too bright and hurt my eyes. For most people it was a happy change from the constant darkness, but for me it was annoying and seemed like a waste of energy to light a room that brightly. I walked into my closet, which instantly pulled out an outfit for me that day, based on my mood and the weather. Though, I'm not sure why the weather was taken into account. It was always 23 degrees, and foggy. Actually, it was the only weather I've ever known. Sure, we learned about rain, tornadoes, hurricanes, hail, sun, wind, clouds. Though, it's not like I, or anyone, has actually ever experienced any of that. The only thing we know is dark, smog, and the thunder of the abandoned world above us. I left my room, wearing an oversized t-shirt and worn out jeans, matched with dirty green high tops. I followed the warm voices of Tao and my brother to the kitchen. I always felt happy when I was around them, they were the only people I had. 

"Wow. All that time spent getting ready really payed off." Tao stated sarcastically after a single glance at my ensemble.

"Oh, shut up." I punched him hard on the chest as I reached for my favorite hat and my backpack. He didn't flinch, but instead smirked playfully at me as he shoved a piece of toast in my mouth. 

"Bymphhh Mmphseehh" I shouted back at my brother as Tao shut the front door of my house. 

We walked through the ever gloomy streets of Sub-Seoul in silence. The same orange-yellow glow illuminated from the light-globes that followed every person, hovered a few feet above our head, to keep us from the complete darkness of the underground. The streets were empty, other than the occasional flash of a vehicle whipping past us at unthinkable speeds. I insisted on walking to school, because I hate the speed of cars, and because I like to be alone with Tao. We don't say much to each other but, his presence alone is enough for me.  I nibbled on my toast, and Tao kept his head down, hood up, hands in pockets, and obviously listening to his microphones. No, not the old fashioned ones people used to speak into, but literally micro-sized earphones.  Tao looked over at me and I quickly bowed my head and glanced the other way. Did he always have to catch me staring at him?

"What." His grey eyes pierced through me as he stared. 

"What, what?" I questioned teasingly.

He shook his head, his lips pulling up into a catlike smile before turning his head to look at the road again.

"Stop it." 

"Stop what?" Tao asked the ground.

"Stop acting like you know every thought that runs through my mind." I moved my eyes over to him, without turning my head in his direction.

"But your mind is so easy to figure out." He hesitated. "We're here."

A blinding glow crept through the window pane's and caressed Tao's already pale face as I looked up towards our large, industrial high school with a frown. I was so ready to be done here. It was the last semester of senior year, and I didn't plan on going to college. My time here was useless. I wasn't studying for the college entrance exams like every other person here, and they sure as heck weren't teaching anything worth knowing in our classes anymore. I was just stuck here for a few final weeks before I could start doing something productive with my life. That productive something however, I wasn't sure just exactly what was.  

We walked down to our homeroom. Class had already started, so no one even noticed our late enterance. Each student's face looked straight ahead, their minds obviously off somewhere else. Schools were different now then they had been before. People's minds didn't need to be present to learn anymore. Their bodies sat in the room unconcious, taking notes as their brains absorbed the information, while their souls were all mixing together in some other realm socializing and having fun. Teachers were something that had been extinct for almost half a century. In fact, school wasn't required after grade 5. By then, a person would have the equivalency of a 12 year schooling experience. Those who continued weren't forced to continue on. Except for me however. There was no way in hell that Minseok and Tao wouldn't have let me drop out. Most people continued school anyway. The competition for jobs is tighter than it's ever been. Only the most intelligent could get a decent job these days.  Before Tao let his mind join those of our classmates, I grabbed his wrist. 

"Can we just sit here alone for today? I don't wanna be around anyone else." I asked him. 

He looked over at me with the same expression he always does, his intense gaze now seemed comforting to me, however. "You are the most unsocial person I've ever met."

"No one talks to me but you anyways. They all think I'm weird." I realized I was being self-centered. No one really talked to Tao either. They were all afriad of his iron gaze and his thick Chinese accent that he had never been able to shake. 

"Maybe it's because no one can tell whether you are a girl or a boy." He pulled at my boyish shirt. "I think you stole this from me a few weeks ago."

"Shut up. I'm not giving it back." I said, clutching the bottom of the baggy shirt.

"Fine. I don't want it." 

"This room is too bright. Can we just go home?" I looked at Tao with sad puppy dog eyes. He could never resist me when I had that look on my face. Then again, Tao could give me the same look and I'd end up buying him something Gucci. 

"Xiumin will get mad." Tao always adressed my brother by his Chinese name, mostly because it was easier for him to pronounce. I continued to look at Tao pleadingly. 

"Fine. Let's just go to your place then." 

"If you just wanted to skip, why did you bother coming here in the first place." 

"Because, I am a good girl."

Tao laughed at my sarcastic remark.

I grinned, and linked my arm with his as he led me out of the glowing school, and back into the darkness of the city, which I had so grown to love. 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Thank you for reading!

Sorry for the boring and short first chapter. I just need to get things rolling before the story gets interesting.

I have so many good things planned for this fic and I hope you stick around to read it all!

~MadforMinho