Hymn for the Sea

The Hum Of the Sea

 

   “Wake up! Wake up! Changmin wake up! Yoochun-ah! Junsu-ah! Wake up!”

Yunho abruptly wake the three dongsaeng up. Changmin stirred up while Yoochun and Junsu sit upright when they heard Yunho’s shouting.

   “What’s wrong hyung?” Changmin ask with hoarse voice, only to be greeted with Yunho’s fierce order.

   “WAKE UP CHANGMIN AND GET YOUR LIFE JACKET!”

Yunho lend the life jacket to Changmin, Yoochun and Junsu whom in negligent wearing the jacket.

   “What’s wrong hyung?” Changmin asked again, curious at his hyung fierce voice and eyes wildly scanning their middle class room.

   “Where’s Jaejoong?”

   “Huh?” The maknae quizzically frown.

   “I SAID WHERE’S JAEJOONG?!”

   “Uhh I don’t know hyung. He went out.” Junsu reply to Yunho, holding the older chest in order to calm the violent breath he taking.

   “DAMMIT!” Yunho almost run out from the middle sized room when Changmin shouted.

   “I ASK YOU WHAT DAMN HAPPEN HERE?”

Yunho gasp for awhile and turn its back.

   “The ship gonna sink.”

   “The ship going to… WHAT?” Three of them shrill altogether.

   “Now listen here kid, nicely put your life jacket and calmly wait for me and Jaejoong at the emergency boat up there.”

   “No hyung! We don’t…..”

Yoochun disagree with the older one suggestion, but he manage to cut him off.

   “Promise me, we going to be saved. Now I must search for Jaejoong first.”

With that Yunho disappear in their sight. The screaming and wailing started to hear along with the sound of water that is slowly seeping into their room.

   “OH !” Yoochun cursed.

   “Come let’s get out of here.” Junsu pull Changmin’s hand but the younger one did not even flinch.

   “Changmin!”

   “We will not die right?” The maknae stared lifeless at the ceiling, a warm tears spill over his eyes.

*****

6 days earlier, they 5 boys jumped in their happiness when they were announced that they are the winner for their company best team competition that were held annually resulting prize to America for free for vacation. The five Korean boys who had been migrated to Southampton, England since they were kids with their families and decided to work together can’t express their gratitude when they were awarded with the grand prize.

   “Its Titanic man! The largest ship on Earth!”

   “What a lucky! That’s ship is every one dream!”

   “Hey, congratulations! I heard she is a ship that will never sink.”

Countless of praises they received that they smile brightly from ear to ear. Who wouldn’t? The grand R.M.S Titanic is the largest ship on that time and every one are dreaming for that ship.

   “Congratulations to the leader of the group Jung Yunho!” The president announced before he continue.

   “I think you shall pack your bag now. The ship will sail tomorrow.”

Their family was very happy when they announced the once in a lifetime chances to out from Southampton. That is because they were just merely a poor people. They migrated to England because they were scouted to go there. Ever since they were kids, they never breathed for Korea air and they miss their mother country even they barely remember times when they still lives there.

   “Ahh~ I wonder when we can back to Korea again.” Jaejoong leave a heavy sigh of happy.

   “We will one day. We will.” Yunho happy voice clearly heard.

*****

In the middle of the thousands of people, Yunho searching Jaejoong like a child losing his mother. He can’t lose Jaejoong, he can’t! Still holding the life jacket for Jaejoong, he grabs another one for him to wear. Of course, the battle for the jacket is no joke. He had to punch and kick some people who fight for the jacket. Yunho, who stocked with the solid muscle, is the obvious winner out of them all.

   “JAEJOONG! WHERE ARE YOU?”

Yunho let out desperate sigh and almost tearing. How can he find Jaejoong in thousands of people? He stop a moment when he heard some musician plays the music. What a nice sight when you are almost dying, he thought. He looked around for the familiar shape of Jaejoong but he gain nothing but only screaming and hazy of panicking people.

He shut his eyes and think.

Where Jaejoong will be when he was alone.

*****

   “Where are you going hyung?” Changmin mention the older when he get dressed, ready to have some air on the ship probably.

   “Having some fresh air.” Changmin was right.

   “Where?”

Jaejoong stop buttoning his jacket and straight looks to the maknae’s eyes.

   “Ship deck.”

Changmin let out his laugh. This man never fails Changmin to laugh.

   “I know hyung, ship deck is big. This ship especially.”

   “You’re smart.” Jaejoong scoffed.

   “I am smart for reasons.” He chuckled when Changmin praising his self.

   “I’m going to the ship bow.”

*****

 Junsu and Yoochun held Changmin’s hand so tight that the younger boy flinch and crying. He want them to release the deathly grip but with their conditions right now, there is impossible that their hyungs will let it go. Still running and go through the peoples, seeking for the boat.

They pass the sea of people and heading to the life saver boat. Changmin is a genius. By the time he looks for the boat, he knew they will not make it. The boat is not enough to accommodate the whole passengers. They keep searching for the empty boat, runs after runs and weather through the almost insane people whom yelling around.

They were stuck, by that they knew the boat is straight next to him. Smile comes across their face when they see a boat. But it fade at the time when they hear shouting. By then they knew, all their effort now is in vain.

   “ONLY CHILDREN AND WOMEN!” The officer screams their lungs out.

He was tired and people pulling and pushing did not help any better, Changmin slumped on the floor, panting and breath heavily. Peoples began hitting and pulling each other makes Changmin drown and his hand slip from Junsu and Yoochun’s. He was tired. He can’t breathe. He’s suffocating.

   “Changmin!”

His tiny frame body being stepped on people and he cry in pain. He was tired and scared. He can feel the strong kicking and stepping human on his body. He can hear his own bone cracking and his lungs feel like it almost contact in each other.

   “Hyu..ng” He let out soft whimper.

He had this bad feeling ever since he board on the ship. He can sense something going to happen when he heard one person said that the ship is unsinkable.

And he was right.

*****

Yunho run as fast as he can. Once again go through the havoc picture to the ship bow. Little inside, he hoped that Jaejoong was right there. Not even move for a second. He can feel the ship is slightly move downwards and slanting.

Minutes later, he finally reach the bow and his eyes once again wildly searching for Jaejoong. He pant ferociously as the mist fogged. The scene was horrible; he can barely hear people screaming when they fall into the cold icy sea and some of them praying for whichever gods up there. But those never snap his attention for searching for Jaejoong. The only one he love most.

   “JAEJOONG! JAEJOONG COME ON, WHERE ARE YOU?”

He pushed some people out of his way and still walking. Neck stretched in every possible length just to find Jaejoong. His eyes locked when he saw a person who sits in foetal position, crying. Without wasting time, he run to the person and hold him.

The person shocked and hung his head, wailing and stretched out his hands for a comfort hug.

   “Yunho!! Yunnie Yunnie I’m scared.” The cried helplessly and his body shaking. The temperature still dropping and counting to dropping, looks like they never coping with the situation.

   “Shhh I’m here Joongie, I’m here.” Yunho embrace him in protecting hug and began to reassured the shaking one.

   “Listen, now we going to find Changmin and get out from this ship.”

Yunho cupped Jaejoong forehead and hug him again before making their steps. Down to the slight upraising ship.

*****

Yoochun and Junsu with difficulties trying to reach for Changmin who by now being stepped by people and they knew, the youngest might die if they fail to save him. With their might, they shoved away and screaming to make their way clear. Blood and bruises began covering Changmin fragile body.

   “DAMMIT!” Yoochu curse when he get to Changmin who by now half-conscious.

   “Junsu, help me!” Yoochun yelp to Junsu to lift Changmin body and slowly clearing the way.They aimlessly bring Changmin weak body far away from the buzz.

   “Changmin! Changmin can you hear me?” Junsu slapped Changmin’s cheek slowly to make him wake.

   “Hyung….”

   “Oh God Changmin you were fine.” Yoochun relieve.

   “No hyung.... we gonna… die.”

   “Please don’t say like that Changmin. Please.” Junsu began to teary and he hug Changmin as his life depended on him.

*****

Yunho never let Jaejoong grip loosen, not even a second when they made their way to the boat. He getting irritated with the first class men when they act so arrogantly that they will save. He knew their chances are low because woman and child is the first opportunity. He glared to the some men who cowardly went into to boat.

   “Yunho where is the other?” Jaejoong asked him.

   “Help me find them.”

Jaejoong nodded and his eyes too began searching. The ship is huge but lucky on their side, they manage to find them after 20 minutes and the water began to sink the front of the ship.

   “Yoochun! Junsu! Changmin!” Yunho yelled.

The two of them find the source of the voice in no time. Yunho gasps when he look at bleeding Changmin. He barely can breathe.

   “What happen?” Jaejoong’s heart wrench when he sees his maknae.

   “He suddenly fall and people stepping on him.” Junsu sums up everything.

 As if on cue, the silent ship began producing an eerie roaring sound. People began to panicking once again when the ship elevated drastically. This time Yunho shook Changmin body violently, secreting hoping the younger one to be awake and holding back his tears. He does not want to cause any harm to the boy but he had to.

Changmin painfully awaken and sweats began forming on his forehead. Now, Yunho force him to stand up and they run to the higher part of the ranging ship which was about to sink.

Yelping, clanking and grunting vivid in their eyes. Changmin close his ears and eyes. Thou he was in great pain of holding the bruises and some fracture bone, he had been dragged by Jaejoong and Junsu holding his hands. People whom lose to gravity fall from the ship straight away to the sea. Laboriously, they get hold for the ship holder as the gravity taking toll on them, the ship is going to broken into two so soon.

Changmin watch in his very eyes how people die in such a painful way. Some of them fall and have a contact with the ship blade. He was scared, truly scared to the point where he will wet is pants. The deathly scene he’s witness. He look at a little girl who tearing, also holding for her dear life on the thick rope of the ship. He swear if he will be born again, he will never board on a ship.

‘CRACK’

 

‘BRUK’

 

The ship began to elevate for 90 degree and this time, more and more people falls. Yunho taking his step out to the ship holder and hold Jaejoong’s hands.

   “Come follow me, that is dangerous!”

Slowly, one by one Yunho take s to the safe side. They is actually laying. As the water the ship even faster, their heart beating was faster than that.

   “OH JUST GOT REAL!” Yoochun cursing. He want to get married. He want child. He doesn’t want to die in this way. Not even in his dreams.

   “HYUNG!!! I DON’T WANT TO DIE!!!” Junsu crying and wailing. His cute face was tainted with tears and fears.

   “Yunho, what we should do?” Jaejoong adding the tremble in Yunho’s heart.

He, too, doesn’t know what to do. Yunho look at Changmin, he looks tired, pain and most of all traumatized.

   “Changmin.” He hold the younger one hands firmly.

   “Hold on, we will save. I promise.” Yunho look to s too.

   “We will save!” He scream, increasing the confident to his heart.

The water began to near them and almost part of the ship. They can sense the coldness.

   “LISTEN. WHEN I SAY BREATHE, YOU BREATHE DEEPLY AND HOLD IT! OKAY? NEVER LEAVE MY HANDS!”

The members nodding their head. Yunho grew tensed because of Changmin, he barely nodded and whimpering in pain.

   “It’s okay hyu..hyung. I.. I will.. make it.” Hardly Changmin response to him.

The water reached them in a seconds. Like a horror movies the sound is hearing. This time Yunho shouted.

   “BREATHE!”

And all five of them sank into the deep cold icy sea water. They holding each other hand tightly. Yunho taking the lead to the surface suffer some difficulties, manage to take them to the surface. Taking a deep breathe on the surface, he look for s. All is safe.

And this time luck was not on their sides. Changmin suddenly slipped out from Junsu’s hands and went down into the water.

   “Changmin!” They shouted

This time Changmin is really unconscious. Bubble of airs floating after him. Jaejoong’s eyes widen and he immediately follow Changmins body. He tried to reach Changmin who continuously being by the water. After a few trying, he succeed.

When he reach the surface, the other member already be on a wooden. A huge wood that can afford all five of them. Jaejoong is thankful that they can saved Changmin and found the floating wood. He pulls Changmin closer to the wood so that they can bring him up. Only with a few attempt he manage to stay on the wood surface.

   “Changmin, wake up.” Yunho was trying to wake him up but fail. The younger one lips become blue.

   “Yunho… he stops breathing!” Jaejoong yelp.

Yoochun and Junsu startled. Yoochun push Yunho to the aside to form CPR to the maknae. He know, Yunho was too tired to do it for his own.

He put his hands on Changmin’s nose and close it, rise the younger chin upwards and blowing air to his lungs. Slowly but steadily he apply pressure on his chest.

First trial : Fail.

Jaejoong eyes began to teary and his teeth began chattering because of cold. He look for the environment, people noise started to fade, the sight is nothing other than the sea envelop into the darkness. He shift his head to Yoochun who trying to retrieve Changmin.

Second trial : Fail.

For the first time in Junsu life, he never felt this desperate. He never felt this scared. And for the first time in his 23 years old life, he want to continue his life with his parents and friend. He admit that he was sick of his life, being poor, unable to buy his own desire. He hated his life to the point where he want to commit suicide. Now, he know why people telling him to live the fullest life. He turn his eyes on unconscious Changmin.

Third trial: Fail

Yunho seems the most optimistic one in their team. He never felt any fears. But in his 24 years old life, this is the first time he getting fear. A great fear of losing his life and his dear friends life. He never feel so hurt when he sees his mate suffering, fighting for life. He hold Changmin’s hands tightly and close his eyes, praying for God to not take his dear maknae’s life.

Fourth trial: Fail

Yoochun always love cold. Even though in winter, he did open his windows slightly and covered his self into a thick blanket. More cold, more fun, he says. But now everything change. He never knew the coldness that he love can be so cruel to him. He never knew that he will experience this kind of coldness. Not even once crossed in his head. He push more pressure on Changmin’s chest and cry. Screaming his lungs out for Changmin soul to return to his body.

‘BLEURGH’

Salt icy water escape from Changmin thin lips and he coughing so bad, immediately Yoochun lift his body and patted slowly Changmin back for the water to come out from his lungs. Changmin takes  a few harsh hitching breath before he fall on the wooden surface, mouth chattering.

Yunho let out his jacket and wrap up Changmin. The coldness was too brutal for them to handle, it touches their bone. But they knew Changmin need it more than them. They too act the same way as their leader.

Changmin stared at their worried hyungs. He look at them expressionless. He was too shocked because of this incident. He closed his eyes, unable and too weak to speaking plus the coldness that haunted him, he hoped that the horrible incident swept away from his minds. He really hope he forget it.

   “Thank God you’re back Changmin.”

The noise of people completely fade and they only can merely faint heard wind blowing. Promising not to falls asleep no matter how tired they are, they continue to stay awake, even though their heart threatening them to stop especially for Changmin because of hypothermia that slowly seeping into them. Time still counting and moving as they don’t know how much time passes since the ship sink.

‘Unsinkable ship eh.’ Jaejoong sarcastically scoffed in his heart.

They kept silence to store their energy. They don’t know how much time they will hold on. 

   “Ha….have ff..faith…..” Yunho stuttered in coolness. The members look at him.

   “Yun…ho.”

   “Hh..have…ff.fffa…faith.” He kept grunting.

   “Sss…stop… yyy….you….wwe….ww….will…” Jaejoong stammered.

They can feel the coldness suddenly fade away and the life shine on them as they heard an officer shouting to the people who survive. They shouting for them. The survive person.  The spotlight spread over the frozen body and finally landed on them.

That time, is the time where Changmin can’t hold much longer. That time, his heart beat start to low on its pace.

*****

   “Yunho! Hurry up we’re late for the bus!” Jaejoong nagging can be heard from the upstairs. Yunho glance at their group picture before proceed to the door.

   “Oh you’re here already?” Yunho trying to change the topic, he knew he late and Jaejoong will mad at him for real.

   “You’re slow Yunho hyung. Aishh.. look the bus already left. Now we have to walk!” Yoochun get pissed off.

   “Aishh if that kid is here, you’re dead with his sarcastic hyung.” Junsu added.

Yunho eyes suddenly shift to the floor. Changmin, he talking about Changmin.

   “Yunho?”Jaejoong pat his back softly before continue,

   “What’s wrong?”

   “No, I just reminiscence the 2 years ago incident.”

   “Ah… I glad that he did not remember it.” Junsu state.

   “Remember what hyung?” Changmin suddenly come abruptly behind their back.

   “Ah.. nothing Changmin ah~ come, let’s go!” Yoochun persuade.

It’s been 2 years since the tear jerking accident happen. They admit it was hard to life shortly after the incident, even now, they can still feel the memory fresh in their minds, except for Changmin. First week of incident, he went to coma. Then after he wakes up, he suffered for the major trauma. Although he wake up with no memories about the sinking ship, he often got nightmare and ended up being coma-induced again with doctors. He was in charge of therapist for about a year before he can loosen his grip from hospital. Changmin admit, until now, he can hear people screams but he had no idea where it comes from.

As for the rest, the incident did take tolls to them, but with Changmin condition, they grew stronger to fight the fears. It is miracle for them to heal within the time. Now, they started their new life in America, they decided to resign from their works. And the letter of acceptance just went into their hands. The company understands them a lot. With the job now they have as a clerk in a famous bank, they making money for them to back to Korea. Their family by the way insist to stay at Southampton.

   “Come start anew day, Korea here we go~” Junsu make his high pitch voice sounds cute when he raises his hands on the air.

   “Yea!”

All five of them clasped their hands together, promising a new life with a new day.