A Small Thank You

Threads of Destiny

Merely a second after Myungsoo had started his car engine, the long branches of the trees started gesticulating wildly in the howling wind and sheets of water cascaded from the overcast sky. From a distance he saw Eunji frantically ran out of past the school gate, presumably in attempt to search for a shelter.

"She should've just waited inside the school," whispered him with a chuckle and sped up his car, trying to chase after her.

The raindrops stung the front windscreen with a great force, and the wiper gradually became faster in motion. It took him three seconds to drive past her as she was quite fast or more precise, panic-stricken.

"Eunji! Hop on!" he called with a beam, and she was quite taken aback. Frantically, she entered the car and took the vacant seat next to him.

"God, that was scary. Thanks, Myungsoo....I must've looked terrible," there was a subtle streak of relief laced in between her words as she fixed her tousled bangs. Myungsoo handed her a small lilac towel, and she wiped her drenched face. She seemed anxious, and he couldn't help smiling.

"No, no. You're okay. Why don't you just stay inside the school?"

"Ah- actually....I need to be home early. It's my mum's birthday. Hmp...I really should consider buying a car. It's so hard to move around,"

"Your mum's birthday? I see...do you need to go somewhere? I could spare some time to get you there," he took a quick glance at Eunji, and she nodded.

"Actually...I need to buy a cake, if that's okay with you,"

"Sure. I know a nice bakery around here,"

She smiled a bit, and silence overwhelmed the next moment. Everything seemed to be like an eternity and butterflies rose up in her stomach, fluttering about like a small circus.

A trickling sensation she could only experience when she was utterly anxious.

 

"We're here," his voice brought her back to the reality, and that's when she found his car stopping in front of a shop with a pink signboard that showed 'Saint Merry Cake House'. She gazed at Myungsoo and gave him a smile of gratitude, but he quickly stopped her when she tried to open the door.

"It's....raining. You wait here," uttered him in a serious tone before he grabbed a black umbrella from the backseat and disappeared through the door. He walked towards the right door and opened it, allowing Eunji to get out of the car and stand under the umbrella. The sky outside was overcast with grey clouds, and the sound of the crashing rain was practically deafening.

"I told you, it's really raining," said Myungsoo as he slightly raised his voice, making it more audible. Eunji moved an inch closer, close enough that their shoulders brushed one another.

"I thought it's be okay to play in the rain sometimes," replied Eunji as he led her into the bakery, ignoring the raindrops that drenched the side of their bodies.

 

The sweet and fresh scent of newly baked breads and other pastries filled every corner of the small bakery, and Eunji's eyes sparkled in utter happiness. Myungsoo's eyes were glued on her, she exuded an air that was indescribable. He silently admired her frolicsome attitude, as if she was living a problem-free life- but that was all. For him, to admire and to love a woman are two different things; an enormous chasm between the two feelings.

He knew he couldn't possibly get himself drowned in the bittersweet sea of love once again, way too easily.

 

"Myungsoo! What do you think of this cake?" her crystal-clear voice echoed, pointing at a big, beautifully decorated cheesecake inside the glass counter. He came towards her, nodding enthusiastically.

"I could finish that in five seconds," he said, and dimples dented her cheeks as she laughed.

"Sounds convincing. Alright! Miss, I'll have this. By the way, can you write something on this cake?"

"Sure! Here's a piece of paper, you'll just have to write down what you want and it'll be ready in two minutes! More or less," replied the young female worker politely, flashing her pearly white teeth as she slid a small piece of paper on the shiny marble counter.

"Hmm....what about 'Happy 47th Birthday, Supermum Jung Hana'? Okay, looks great! Here it is," Eunji returned the paper with a broad grin.

"Your mom's still young," uttered Myungsoo who was standing beside her.

"You think so? Hmm...I thought she's old enough to be called a grandma. How 'bout you, Myungsoo?"

"If she's still around, well.... She'd be 50 this year," it took her quite some time to interpret his words before she gasped, running her fingers to cover her gaped mouth in guilt.

"I-I'm sorry....I didn't know,"

"It's okay, really," he gazed at her soft, sympathetic eyes before his lips carved a smile, and it seemed to erase her guilt.

"Miss, your cake's ready!" the female worker called out, and Eunji rushed to the counter.

"How much is this?" inquired her, fumbling her handbag in search for her wallet.

"50000 won, Miss,"

Eunji's face turned ashen all of a sudden. Her wallet was nowhere inside the handbag! This time she gingerly searched her handbag- the nagging fear that overwhelmed her truly got to her nerves.

Myungsoo approached the counter and handed the worker a few notes before he turned to look at Eunji who was clearly panicking, his teeth looked very white when he flashed a grin.

"Thank you, come again please!"

 

She covered her head with her blanket of embarrassment the moment he handed her the cake box, and her hands shook nervously.

"I....I'll pay you back tomorrow," she had to bite her tongue to stifle a scream.

"You don't have to. Consider it as a gift for your mother," he responded as he cranked the steering wheel and drove off from the bakery. The outside air was rather chilly, and there was a rainbow in the sky that could barely be seen.

"By the way, where's your house? It's getting dark soon,"

"Oh, from this road, you go straight- then there's a T junction at the end of the road, turn right. My house's about 5 kilometers from here," she navigated the way to her house as he drove, and that unpleasant silence overwhelmed the following moment once again.

"Umm....thanks. Thanks a lot," that was all she managed to utter. She pondered why she wasn't being her usual self on that evening.

"Don't mention it,"

 

Silent wipers cleared raindrops from the windshield as Myungsoo's car slid along the street. About ten minutes later they were already in front of Eunji's house- an average-sized house with a few geranium bushes decorating the front yard, and lots of clover paving the ground in between the nicely trimmed grass. A modest house that brought tranquil to the sight.

"Is this your house? How pretty," he complimented the house for its simple yet full of serenity appearance, and she nodded gleefully.

"Yes! Would you like to come in? My mum would be pleased to see you, and besides....I don't think I have thanked you enough,"

"I'm so sorry, but I'm afraid I have to say no. It's getting late, somebody's actually waiting for me," a sense of guilt was attached to his voice, and her face contorted with disappointment.

"....your wife?" she said, faltering a bit. Myungsoo laughed heartily as he lightly slapped his forehead.

"I'm not even married! It's my auntie. I'm living with her for the time being,"

Eunji couldn't deny that she was quite relieved to hear that. "Whew, really? Where did you live by the way?"

"Somewhere in Yongsan-gu," he saw a young man coming out of the house, carrying a long wooden ladder and leaned it against the wall.

"Your.....brother?"

She turned her gaze and let out a chuckle. "Hmm. His name's Youngwon. He's probably trying to change a new light bulb,"

"He's handsome," she stared at him in disbelief with a silly grin pasted on her lips.

"WHAAAAT?! Heck no! You'd better not say this in front of him, he'd brag non-stop for three days and nights and....graaaahhh!! No, you can't do that,"

He tried not to laugh, but his bottom lip trembled. "How could you say that to your own brother?"

"Hmm...well...I dunno. Myungsoo, thanks for everything! Although I'm quite disappointed that you're not eating the cake with us," uttered her with her head hung low.

"I told you, it's nothing!"

"It is a thing! A thing to be thanked for. I'll pay you back, worry not. Alright, I should go now. Drive home safely!" the door swung open, and stepped out of the car with a broad smile.

From a slight distance that separated them, Myungsoo gave her a smile as she waved him cheerfully. She stood in front of the house, observing his car until it finally vanished from her sight.

 

"Now who's that? Where's your Pedo Junyoung?" Youngwon's voice was filled with curiosity.

"A fellow teacher.....HEY! Stop calling him Pedo Junyoung already! Now let's go inside, I got mum's favourite cheesecake,"

"Ch-Cheesecake?! Weehoo! Hmm....wait. Something's fishy, your voice seems mellower than usual," he said from the top of the ladder, rubbing his chin with a hand while the other fixing the light bulb.

"Mellow huh? Now are you coming in or would you fancy having your nose pushed beneath your ear....or get your pants pulled down?" she turned her blazing eyes at him, and he jumped off the ladder in apprehension.

"Why do I always become your object of bully?" said Youngwon, his enthusiasm was somehow dented as Eunji dragged him into the house.

Deep in her heart's core she was actually thankful and happy.

 

*********************************************************************

 

I wish I could update frequently :\

An increasing number of subbies! Thanks a lot, though I'd appreciate it more if you leave a comment xD

I'm still thankful :') *Free hug if you wanna*

It's about time I write about Junyoung, don't you think? c;

I'll try to update soon! Thanks for reading~!!!