Moments

Threads of Destiny

Junyoung, with his hands in white gloves started to check for the helpless child's pulse. He received an emergency call early in the morning, and he rushed to the hospital- he got a serious case, where a child was severely hurt as a knife jabbed right through his heart- he miraculously survived, but the child certainly needed an immediate treatment before something terrible would likely occur.

"He's still available. Now hand me the scalpel," with the scalpel Junyoung started to make an incision in his lower left armpit before he inserted a finger into it. He did the exact same thing to the other one.

"His lungs are normal. No deflation," with that, his medical assistant- Sunggyu, checked the child's pulse. He was struck and enveloped in fear, unexplainable fear.

"No pulse! Junyoung!"

Junyoung bit his lower lip, trying to stifle his throbbing anxiety. "This child needs a thoractonomy," he finally said in a soft voice.

"You sure?" replied Sunggyu in utter uncertainty. He had never been good in controlling his emotion, anyway.

"Hm. He has a blood clot in his heart,"

"Well....since you've done it before, why don't you just proceed with it?" Sunggyu rushed to the side of the operation room for necessary equipments.

 

Junyoung started the procedure by cutting through his chest, starting from the left rib. Sunggyu assisted him and soon, both scalpel met in the centre, and he immediately put the rib retractor to keep the chest wide open.

"Don't panic, Sunggyu. You're making things hard for me,"

"Forgive me, Doctor Moon,"

They saw the heart, lifeless, with a small opening made by the knife, which they had removed after giving anaesthetic to the child when he first arrived. Junyoung started to make a small cut in the heart and later, with two fingers, he scooped out a chunk of blood clot from it.

"Half done. Sunggyu, hang in there. This won't take long," he tried to calm his assistant who seemed stiff with tension. His stomach churned at the sight of the cool Junyoung and the poor boy.

Sunggyu held the heart in his right palm, massaging it gently to kick start of the cardiac cycle. Just when he was about to flick the slimy heart with his finger, the heart suddenly beat. He was truly taken aback! Blood squirted out of the opening that Junyoung made.

"Now sew it," ordered Junyoung from behind. Following what he said, the heart seemed to grab his finger tighter with every beat. All he felt on that precise moment was genuine satisfaction.

"The kid's gonna make it! Wee-hoo!" Sunggyu punched the air with his fists in excitement as Junyoung injected the sedative into the child's body intravenously.

"You did well, Hamster," sheer machismo curved one side of his mouth as he slapped his assistant's shoulder, calling him by his nickname.

---------

"Dari oppa~~" Sera displayed her affection as she clung onto Dari's arm the moment they walked side by side on the empty corridor, but he flinched away in surprise.

"Sera! It's dangerous here, what if someone sees us?!"

She reluctantly let go of his arm as her lips started to form a pout. "We've been so busy lately that we didn't have time for romance," that cheesy feel started to creep inside the words she uttered, and Dari heaved a sigh.

"I know. I sorry...." he responded, unaware that his answer would disappoint her.

"Sorry? That's all you gotta say?" her eyes narrowed as she shoved his chest, expressing her wrath.

"Hey, Sera...." the next time she pushed, he was ready for her and didn't budge. He knew she was clearly upset. They stood motionless, and Sera struggled to keep her eyes shut to avoid an outburst of crying. Only her heavy breathings were audible at that moment.

"Listen, hey-"

"Stay clear of me, Lee Dari. Enough," she began to lose her cool and stormed away, but he was quick enough to halt her and had her body pinned to the wall. He glanced at his left and breathed a sigh of relief to see nobody around. He turned his gaze to Sera, her eyes were billowing with tears as she tried to escape from his firm grasp.

"I said I'm sorry.....and I know it'll never be enough for you. You're a real piece of work, you know that? Ryu Sera....we're getting married soon. Don't you think it's time for us to stay off from each other until the time comes?"

"That's why I'm saying that you're seeing this relationship indifferently now! I'm just--" he doesn't let her finish as he drew her close and gave her a light peck on her forehead.

"You're a real piece of work, you know that? Tch. Here, feel this," he brought her hand on top of his left chest.

She blinked twice, and he knew she was softening. "My heart. You know who owns my heart?"

"Me, of course," replied her in hesitation.

"Bingo. Then that damned doubtful feeling should never live in your heart. Fine, I'll make myself clear.....I love you, Ryu Sera. For how many times do you want me to say so?"

Her face was b with happiness. "Umm....seventeen?"

"I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you," he said it for real- straight into her face, and she desperately tried not to laugh.

"Would you believe me now?"

"Dari...." she wrapped her arms around his neck, and just when their lips were about to meet, a loud thud broke the romantic atmosphere. A male teacher stood riveted to the ground with his books scattered on the floor, utterly startled of what he had just witnessed.

"M....MYUNGSOO!!!" both of them cried in unison as they clambered to their feet and tottered backwards, before they finally ran away drowsily to their own directions.

"....my eyes, they're deceiving me?" Myungsoo, still surprised of what he just saw, finally stooped to collect his scattered books.

 

Myungsoo walked past a row of classes before he heard someone's voice, and his pace gradually became slower. It was Eunji's voice- and she was merely 10 steps away from him, teaching in her class. Her clear English pronunciation left him amazed that he was eager to hear more.

"Okay, I'm giving you a riddle. Why don't tigers eat clowns? I'll give you 10,000 won if you give me the correct answer, in English of course!" she said, her voice was b with energy. Myungsoo set his eyes on her, but this time he wasn't seeing Jung Eunji.

He held his breath, his heart was pounding wildly against his chest to see Lee Jieun standing before his two eyes. It was her, the one he missed the most. She was every bit as beautiful as she used to be- her warm smile, her cheerful eyes....

"What, giving up already? The answer's easy! That's because clowns taste funny that tigers won't eat them! Pffft, hahahahaha! No money for you kids,"

Everything happened in a flash, the image of Jieun reverted back as Eunji, and her class exploded with laughter as she blurted out the answer to the riddle.

Without knowing why, his heart felt like it was caving in, and that sorrowness started to consume his soul again. He left, knowing that it would bring a flood of painful memories if he stayed.

 

Junyoung's car entered the school compound at 4 p.m. sharp, and Eunji was already waiting for him as she waved her collagues goodbye. Myungsoo was there too, and he eyed Eunji as she entered the shiny X5 until the car eventually vanished from his sight. He wasn't surprised if she was indeed in a relationship- to be frank he doesn't really care.

"You've been asking me out quite frequent these days. Desperate much?" said Eunji as she nudged Junyoung's arm playfully.

"How can you be so straight-forward? Learn how to speak courteously," his emphatic tone brought a smile onto her lips, and she coyly covered with her palm.

"I only do this when I'm with you, Junyoung. By the way, you seem happy today. Found yourself a girlfriend? Aww, let's trade secrets!"

"You're so stupid. I won't ask you to come out with me if I indeed have one...tch. It's just that I succeeded another thoractonomy today," his face finally lit up with a smile, albeit a subtle one.

"Whoa....that heart-related surgery thingy, right? That's stupendous, really....I can't believe I'm so impressed! Haha," she was grinning from ear to ear, and he slowed down the car a bit just to ruffle her hair- his secret sign of gratitude.

 

Orange dusklight was oozing in through the open windows as Junyoung's car slid along the road leading to the Han River. Junyoung, too engrossed with his driving, doesn't realize that it had been a while since he last heard Eunji's ever-cheerful voice. He abruptly turned his gaze at her- only to learn that she was cradled in a deep slumber.

"You're so ugly, Jung Eunji....." a soft, unforced sigh escaped his lips as he continued to drive, occasionally glancing at her sunlit visage.

 

He thought she looked the best when she's asleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N; It's been practically a year since I last updated, no? Hahaha. Sorry ;__;

Changed the main poster btw! Go check it out (no forcing, of course)

Credits to my English module for providing such an informative essay about this thoractonomy thingy ;) Now I'm able to make Junyoung appear even cooler than he is before. lol xD It's all hazy at my place; but I hv to go back to my school tomorrow. Yeah I have to, or I won't be studying at all -.- Will try to update soon. Comments are highly appreciated!