18 ROSES [ONESHOT]

Description

Birthdays are always fun when celebrated with friends, family and of course, with a special someone. Only, she wasn't aware that there's a "someone special" until her 18th birthday.

Foreword

I SWEAR THIS IS A ONE SHOT. Kinda long though :)) Sorry! :>

-----------------

1st rose

 

Eunmi and her brother arrived in school just 15 minutes before school starts. They walked beside each other going to the direction of her class, like what they usually do. Today though, a little boy, around the age of 6, tugged Eunmi's shirt and handed Eunmi a rose. "Happy Birthday Noona!" A wide smile crept up and she crouched down to the height of the little boy to fix the collar of his uniform. "Thank you~ Oh, aren't you the sweetest thing!" then continued, "but from who did it come from?"

 

The little boy looked down and looked up again, "I'm not supposed to say it Noona." The boy said looking at her with his puppy-dog-like eyes. "Awww. It's okay. But Thank You soooo muuuuch" Eunmi said hugging the little boy. Jay only smiled at the cute event happening in front of him.

 

2nd rose

 

Jay walked Eunmi to her class and patted her head. "Do you have plans today?" He asked her. "Nothing actually, probably just have dinner with some friends, why?" She answered while looking for her ballpen inside her bag. Jay just smiled and looked at the hall, "Okay. Just call if you need a ride okay? Seohyun and I will only be watching some DVD's in the house today. Go in now, your teacher's here."

 

Eunmi turned around to go inside the classroom but instead faced another rose which was just an inch away from her nose. Behind the rose was Doojoon. "YAAA! You scared me!" she cried out to him. "I know right? Aren't I the best?!" Doojoon said extending the rose to her. She accepted it and Doojoon threw himself to Eunmi and she just laughed at him. "Thanks man, I really appreciate it." And now she's got two.

 

3rd rose

 

"uhhh. Just the usual Kwangie." She said to Kikwang and handed her tray up to him. Kikwang is one of Eunmi's closest friends. Though not studying in their school yet, he is doing part-time work in their school's cafeteria and various other jobs to enroll there next school year. "Got it." Kikwang said and replaced her tray with a new tray with a plate of Carbonara, a vanilla ice cream, an iced tea and another rose in it. "Here you go Eunmi. Happy Birthday!" Eunmi got surprised and couldn't do anything but hug Kikwang over the counter. "Seriously, Thanks! But where do all of these roses come from? It's all uniform." Kikwang laughed at her and just patted her head. "It's a secret, pabo." Eunmi pouted and just went away looking defeated.

 

She yelled another 'Thank You' to Kikwang and went to where her friends were seated in the cafeteria. "I wonder where all those roses come from?" She said out loud when she sat in front of her friends. "I wonder also" Hyeri, one of Eunmi's friends said. Hyeri giggled when she looked at the flower and looked to their other friends who know about what's happening.

 

4th rose

 

Their teacher gave them a problem to solve today for Math period. This period is Eunmi's most dreaded period out of all her classes. She doesn't get it at all. Though she knows the basics, when it gets exceptionally complex, she gets all lost. Good thing she's seatmates with the great Dongwoon. Though he's great and all in Math, he's still one cool stud that Eunmi treats as a little brother, but he's actually older.

 

She fell asleep solving the problem and woke up when her head fell and banged her forehead on her table. She cried out in pain which made Dongwoon jump a bit. "Yah! Are you okay? Did you fall asleep again?" He massaged her forehead and pressed it even more after a few moments which made Eunmi cry out even more, but only loud enough for her and Dongwoon to hear. "I thought it was MY birthday today?!" Eunmi reminded him. "I know! And I thought I told you to stop banging your head for every problem and just ask me! Are you trying to kill yourself?" Dongwoon reminded her also. Eunmi held on to her forehead and massaged it while Dongwoon gathered her book, notebook and pencil and started explaining the problem to her.

 

"Oooh so that's how it should be. Damn. Math is hard." Eunmi understood already and stretched out her hands in the air. "So do you get it now?" Dongwoon asked. "Yeah. I think I do." Eunmi declared. "Now that you do, here's my gift." Dongwoon got a rose from his bag and gave it to Eunmi. Her eyes went large and smiled a genuine smile at Dongwoon and said thanks.

 

5th rose

 

Their teacher after math period wasn't around that day so the students were on a free cut for her time. Eunmi and her friends went to one side of the classroom and just talked among themselves. A few moments after, Eunmi got called to go outside their classroom. She excused herself and went outside and saw her brother's friend, Hep --also an upper classman-- jumping all around her. "Yah! Yah! Oppa, you're making me dizzy. Stop all the jumping please." She begged off the hyperactive guy in front of her. Hep stopped and looked at her. "W-why are you looking like that at me?" She asked. Hep locked her head into his two big palms and started, "Oh dear~ where'd you knock your head this time? Your forehead's blushing red~" Eunmi felt embarrassed and looked down. "I fell asleep on Math and my head fell making me wake up. Why do you need me anyway?" She said changing the topic. Hep almost forgot why he was there at the sight of Eunmi's forehead. "Oh yeah! Some-- I just need to give this to you. Happy 18th!" He almost slipped and got the rose from behind his shirt, gave her a peck on the cheek and left. Eunmi felt a blush crept up her cheeks. She had the biggest crush on Hep for years and she still doesn't know why she does. But the cool thing is she never gets awkward with him around.

 

---

 

She walked into the girls' washroom after getting her rose from Hep. She splashed water on her face and looked at her forehead. "Oh hell, he's right, it is red. Dongwoon you are so going to die~!" She added more powder to her forehead to conceal the redness and let down her bangs from being tied up on her headband. "That should do it." She told herself and then her attention went to the rose on her side. "From whom do all of you come from?!!?" She asked to the rose then sighed, "Surely you come only from one source since you're all uniform in all aspect." She wondered out loud again.

 

She left the washroom and bumped into Yoseob, a childhood friend and batch mate. He's always been friends with Eunmi and Jay but not that close. Yoseob's parents are the Parks' family doctor. The two of them were always being teased to each other but they usually just shrug it off.

 

"Oh, sorry Oppa, I wasn't looking." Eunmi said and bowed. "No, it's okay. By the way, it's your birthday today right?" Yoseob asked and smiled to her. "Yep" and smiled a big smile to him. "Well, Happy Birthday then." He greeted and hugged her. "Thank you~" She said, hugging him back but actually expected that the 6th rose would come from him, she didn't know why she expected that though.

 

---

 

6th rose

 

"Seriously!?" was the only thing Eunmi could say as Hyunseung, another upperclassmen and the twin brother of Jay's girlfriend, kneeled in front of her classroom door with a rose in his hand. "Eunmi Park! Please accept this Happy Birthday rose accompanied by a song. Everydaaaaaa---" Eunmi covered his mouth and stood him up. "I think I'll just accept the rose Oppa, Thank You very much." Hyunseung brushed his pants clean and straightened up. "You sure you don't wanna hear the song?" He asked and she only smiled and silently said 'no'. "B-b-but I practiced so hard last night!" he wailed and followed Eunmi to the corridor. "I think this is why Seohyun's hanging out in the house more often. Now I get it." She joked and Hyunseung only pouted from this. "So how many flowers have you gotten today? What's my rank?" Hyunseung asked her, still following her.

 

Seohyun who was walking with Jay at that time saw Eunmi being bugged by Hyunseung and decided to drag Jay to approach Eunmi. "Yaaa do you always have to drag me?" Jay asked trying to catch up Seohyun's pace. "Would you even catch up if I don't drag you?!" Seohyun glared at him. "Well, you do have a point there." He said defeated.

 

She caught up with Eunmi, said 'Hi' and dragged her brother away. "I'll deal with these two Eunmi. You go have fun." She looked at Seohyun then to Hyunseung then to her brother. "Thank you very much. Your brother is starting to melt my brains. No offence." Eunmi blurted out. "None taken." Seohyun answered back.

 

---

 

Eunmi looked at the retreating figures of Seohyun and Jay being followed by Seohyun's brother. She realized that only she and Seohyun could tame Jay's pretty scary nature. Of course she's a given since she's the little sister but Seohyun, now she's a different story. She's glad that Jay found a girl like her who could counter all his stupid ramblings in life.

 

Jay had always been the naughtiest kid in class ever since. So in freshman year, his teacher got so irritated that he decided to seat him next to the president of the class, Seohyun. He found it charming that Seohyun could counter everything he's done to her to irritate her. She had her ways and up to now she still has them to keep Eunmi's brother in check. Jay didn't also get her in an instant; he had to go through Hyunseung who's pretty much like Jay in the over-protective division and also through her cousins.

 

Then one night, a dance night, Jay decided to be Seohyun's date but didn't bring her to the dance. No, she didn't kidnap her. Instead he brought her to the schools field and spread a blanket over the grass and assisted her to sit. He knew she hated going to those and so does Jay. He decided to bring her there and just talk, under the stars and so that they'd get to know each other better.

 

Seohyun considered everything about Jay. She trusted her instincts and decided to take the risk of being with Jay. Not that he's a really embarrassing guy but all the things that come with him, like his really random talking and his 3 word habit, etc. Small stuffs like that.

 

She looked him in the eye that night and just stared at it. Of course, Jay, the clueless boy at times, got a bit uncomfortable, "do I have something on my face? Why are you staring at me like that?" He said out loud. Seohyun sighed and giggled a bit. "Nothing, stupid. You're face doesn't have anything on it." Jay pouted at that and had his arms across his chest. "So now I'm stupid? First you tease me with something on my face, now I'm stupid. Hmpff. Some kinda date you are~" He told her seemingly annoyed but was olny just teasing her.

 

"Well at least you're nobody else's stupid because you're MY stupid." Seohyun told him but it seemed to her that he didn't caught what she just said because he still blabbed on how she called him stupid and stuff, "So you're really standing by that 'stupid' statement of yours huh? For your infor--WHAT?" Jay realized that Seohyun just accepted him as her boyfriend and he realized it a bit late.

 

"I-I-I'm YOUR stupid?" Jay repeated. "Yeah. Why? you don't want?" Seohyun teased. "Well I guess 'stupid' is better that 'moron' right?" Jay asked and Seohyun just nodded. "In that case then, from today onwards I'll be Your stupid." And he jumped up and down the field grass and suddenly heard the music from inside the halls. He offered Seohyun his hand for a dance and she agreed. She rested her hands around the back of his head and her head on his shoulders while his arms were embraced around her waist. "I love you, I just want you to know that. You don't have to answer back yet. Just know that I do." He said and Seohyun just smiled.

 

---

 

7th rose

 

'They've surely come a long way from that. Raising a Jay is hard, Seohyun's one tough cookie for that.' Eunmi thought. She walked inside the library and went up the 3rd floor, and went to her favorite spot. She sat there, opened her laptop and researched for a bit. She logged on to Facebook and Cyworld accounts and saw a dozen greetings on her wall and comments on her guestbook which made her smile. These little things made her smile and made her heart flutter with joy.

 

She jumped when out of nowhere, a flower suddenly popped at her side. She looked up at the one holding it and it was Junhyung, her friend who works in the library part time because he's a working scholar. "Happy Birthday!" he said and grinned madly at her. "Awww Junhyung. Thanks! I've been getting a lot of these today. But I'm glad one is from you." She said and got up to hug him. "Oh I have this feeling this won't be the last" he whispered as he saw the other 6. Junhyung sat with her and talked to her a bit. She asked how he and Gayoon are already and he said they've never been better and went on to other topics.

 

8th rose

 

She looked at the time and it's almost 4pm, "I need to go, the girls wanted to meet me for something I don't really know what it is. Haha" She said and closed her laptop, thanked Junhyung again and went out the library. She got a text from Jay ordering her to drop by Joonkun's first and get his portfolio from him. "Ugh, seriously Jay?! It's my birthday today and you're ordering me stuffs like this?" She said out loud and went out the campus to go to Joonkun's dorm.

 

People there were greeting her Happy Birthday as they saw her pass by. She smiled to each and everyone and got in front of Joonkun's door and knocked. "Who is it?!" Joonkun yelled from the inside. "It's Eunmi. Jay wanted me to get his portfolio from you oppa~" She simply said to him. "Oh yeah~" Joonkun exclaimed and opened his door and gave her the portfolio with a rose clipped onto it. Her face lit at the sight of it and thought that Jay had planned all of this for her. She said quick thanks and went on her way out the dorm to meet her friends. She sent a text message to Jay saying thanks and he replied that he doesn't know what she's talking about. She smiled thinking that he was just playing with her.

 

9th rose

 

Jay and Seohyun were busy studying for a quiz the next day when Jay received a text from Eunmi. He suddenly laughed out loud when he read it and Seohyun and the people around them in the pavilion were looking at him as if he was a mad man. "Babe, you've got to read this. It's funny." He handed the cell phone to Seohyun and she read the only thing written, 'Thanks oppa. biggrin.gif '. She looked at him while he was still laughing and made a blank face. "Not only are you my stupid, but you're now also my dork. Seriously, I don't see anything funny" she said to him.

 

Eunmi heard a familiar laugh coming from the pavilion; she looked around and saw Jay laughing crazily. She went up to them and hugged Jay from behind, "Oppa~! Thank you so much!" she said to him while he tried to stop himself from laughing. "YAH I didn't do anything. Stop killing me~" He cried out. Eunmi detached herself from Jay and looked at Seohyun with a questioning look, "What is he saying unni?" she asked sounding desperate already. "He's saying the truth Eunmi. BUT he does have something to give to you." Seohyun elbowed Jay and he immediately reached out for his bag and got the rose and an envelope. "Here ya go little sis. I hope you like it~ be proud of what's inside the envelope because Oppa thought of that, all by himself. Ok, so maybe with a litt--WHY ARE YOU CRYING?!" He rushed to Eunmi and cuddled her on his arms. "OMG oppa thank you SO much" Jay hushed his crying sister as she cried for the first time today. Her cell phone suddenly rang and it was Hyuna.

 

"Hello? Yeah *sobs* I'm on my way already. My brother kinda held me up for a second." She said in between sobs as she stuck her phone between her head and right shoulders and explored the envelope a bit more. "OOOOHHH Lotte World tickets! But~why only 2 pieces? Oh not to you Hyuna. Anyway I'll be there in a second. Bye~"she said and hanged up.

 

"You're lucky Seohyun was there when I ordered those. I would've gone for 3 or 4 tickets~" Jay announced. "What your brother means is that he wants you to choose who you want to go with." Seohyun said cutting Jay. "Okay" was the only thing Eunmi could say. 'weird couple~ -o-' she thought walking away from the two.

 

---

 

She arrived in front of the library and waited for her friends. Some people who were passing by waved and greeted her; she just smiled and bowed in return. Suddenly, a car stopped in front of her and 4 people went out wearing big black funky sunglasses, blue shirt, black shorts and hair tied in a pony, covered her eyes and mouth with a cloth, held down her hands at her back and pushed her gently inside the car. She tried to escape but they were a bit stronger than she was. The car was pretty silent for about a few minutes except for the random giggling the girls made. She thought that they were her friends but doubted if they can do this to her. Finally the car stopped and the girls assisted her out the car and walked with her to somewhere.

 

Hyuna, Gayoon, Hyeri and Min all laughed out loud when they took off Eunmi's eye cover. "Happy Birthday Eunmi!" They all said to her as soon as she can see already. Her eyes adjusted to the light first so her sight is still a bit blurred. She can only make out green grasses all around, her friends at the side and a boy. A boy who's holding something. She rubbed her eyes to make the adjustment a little bit faster. "Yaaa. You girls, this isn't fair." Eunmi said out loud. "What isn't fair?" Min asked. Truthfully, Eunmi didn't know either.

 

Her other 9 roses

 

The boy who's holding something in his hands walked closer to Eunmi. The sun made it even harder for Eunmi to adjust to the blurriness of her eyes from being covered for a long time. "Happy Birthday Eunmi~" He said when he was in front of Eunmi. She realized that the voice was pretty familiar. She looked up and her eyes lit up when she saw who it was, "Yoseob?" she said in a whisper tone. He smiled at her and wiped her sweat off her face. She looked at what he was holding and it was a bouquet of roses, just like the ones given to her earlier.

 

This bouquet only has 9 roses in it. "Count it all." He said and pointed to the ones she's holding already and the ones he has. She started and ended up with 18. "Happy 18th!" He greeted. She put her hands on , "OMG. You planned all this?" she gasped then asked. "Well I was expecting a 'thank you' but I guess that would do." He said and Eunmi playfully pounded on his chest. "Well," he started, "yeah I did. But I had to ask your brother for a favor and a few things for this." At that, he pointed to the heart made of petals which they were in, the band playing a sweet song at the background and a few of their friends. Eunmi gasped again and looked at him with tears threatening to slide out. "Remind me not to ask him a favor next time." He continued.

 

She laughed a bit and looked around, Hyuna and Joonkun, Gayoon and Junhyung, Hyeri and Nickhun, Hyunseung, Jay and Seohyun, Min, Dongwoon, Hep, Kikwang were all there. "So all of you knew? Ugh. I hate you~ But then again I love all of you too much to hate you. Thanks for making my 18th the greatest!" she said to them. Jay stepped up and hugged her, "Now that you're older, I trust that you'll make wiser decisions ayt? And know who to bring with you to Lotte~ ME! Kidding!" Jay said. Eunmi only laughed and went back to talk to Yoseob.

 

Jay looked at the two talking in one side of their university garden and started, "Okay guys this is going to be hard for me but someone asked me a favor for this." He led the people out the garden, "Can we please all leave now? Let's give him a chance now~" He continued and they all left the garden in silence.

 

"But why do you have the rest?" She suddenly asked curiosity getting the best of her, also not noticing that they're the only ones left in the garden. "It's for 9 years of knowing you and 9 years of hiding that I like you until now." Yoseob explained and offered his hand to her, she accepted it and he put her arms around his head and they slow danced to the music of Yoseob's hired band.

 

"Do you know why I was a bit distant to you all these years?" He asked looking down to her. He was so happy that finally he gets to be able to be with her like this. "No, tell me why." She said as she looked up to him.

 

"Well for starters, I was friends with your brother, and there's this unspoken rule among guy friends about not dating their sisters~" he started and Eunmi's face was a bit questioning, "There's such a thing?" she finally asked.

 

"Yeah. That got me discouraged so I just hid it for a while" he got cut when Eunmi laughed a bit, "a while. 9 years is a long while don't you think?" she said cutting him. "Okok. So I was scared. I'm sorry. Haha. But hey, at least I said it all now right?" He said to her kissing her forehead and got shocked at what he did, "oh sorry, can I do that?" he asked her nervously. "hmmm~ I really don't mind. But you're going to have to be used to doing that to my forehead and to my cheeks for a long time." She said smiling and winking at him.

 

"Sodoesthatmean-- I mean, does that mean that we're like... already..." he struggled to take out the words. "Gosh, you are just like Jay, in a less weird way. Don't tell me I'll be boyfriends with a Jay 2nd. That would be soooo weird." She which made him laugh and hug her tight but not so much so she can still breathe.

 

He stopped hugging her and looked her in the eye and planted a kiss on her lips. "You just made me the happiest man :)"