Chapter 2

Over Coffee and Cheesy Pick Up Lines

 

All week, I took pictures—not out of pleasure, but for work. I take photos for the local newspaper. It doesn’t pay much, so I take up small jobs on the side as well. Things like family pictures and graduation pictures. Things like that.

It’s not very exciting when I do this for work. The pleasure level in it just dulls when I’m being paid. I think the best photography in the kind I do in my own time.

So while I got frustrated with little kids not sitting still for pictures and whiny women complaining about their hair and make-up, my mind wandered to the past weekend. For some reason, I couldn’t stop thinking about that barista at the cutesy café. He was annoying and totally unprofessional so why was I thinking about someone so troublesome?

Sure, he was handsome. It’d give him that much, but he was completely arrogant and cocky. He knew he was y, I knew he was y; everyone knew he was y…

He was pretty fine.

It was completely pointless thinking such things. I’m sure by the end of the week, he’s be completely erased from my mind.

 

 

*~*~*~*

 

 

It was Friday night and I was curled on the couch in my most comfortable sweats. This was the night all my friends and I get together for a movie sleepover party. This time, we were at Taemin’s house and he and Jonghyun were trying to decide what movie to watch while Key, Minho, and I were on the couch already munching on the big bowl of popcorn.

The three of us on the couch ignoring the others indecisiveness and were chatting about our week. Minho was a high school soccer coach and his team was moving up to the nationals. He was clearly tired but still laughed and enjoyed his time with us. Key on the other hand, had had a very boring week and was more than happy to be spending time with us tonight.

“So what have you been up to, hyung?” Minho asked me, grabbing another handful of popcorn.

“You get a ‘friend’ yet?” Key cut in, leaning in curiously.

“First, just taking pictures as usual; And second, ‘friend’? Don’t I have enough of those?” I asked confusedly.

“No! Pabo, not that kind of friend. I mean ‘friend’, y’know? C’mon, please tell me you have a life otherwise I’m going to feel sorry for you,” he said, resting a hand on my shoulder.

I sighed annoyed and shook my head. “Even if I did have a life, why would I share that information?”

 Minho stared at me dumbfounded. “Hyung, you’re twenty-six and you’re not having ? Is that healthy?”

“Aish!” I hissed, slapping his arm. “Yah! Leave it alone. Does it matter if I do or not? I can satisfy myself just fine!” I said defensively, crossing my arms.

“Fine, off the topic of then,” Key compromised. “Is there at least a special someone? Any lover-worthy people?”

This kind of depressed me. Here I was in my mid-twenties and I’ve never even had a girlfriend. All my friends are in serious relationships and they’re all younger than me. Knowing they had someone and I didn’t made me feel lonely.

“No, but its fine. I’m still young; I got time to find someone. All I need is my camera,” I said satisfactorily, yet not feeling so in the least.

Key’s face softened and wrapped his arms around me.

“You’ll find someone, hyung. I’m sure they’re closer than you think—”

The doorbell ringing cut Key off, silencing us.

“Yah, Taemin-ah, did you order something?” Minho asked, sitting up straight.

“No, but I invited someone over. Sorry I didn’t tell you guys sooner, it was kind of a last minute thing. Please be nice, he’s had a rough week,” Taemin said, setting down the movie in his hand and skipping towards the door.

“Aish that kid…this is our night, why’d he invite someone else without asking if we’d be alright with it?” Key complained loudly. I slapped his leg to scold him and he stuck his tongue out at me.

A few moments passed before Taemin came padding back into the room with a new figure trailing behind him. I nearly stopped breathing when I recognized who it was.

“Ok! Let me introduce you! That’s Jonghyun hyung over by the dvds—the short one. One the couch, we have Minho hyung—my boyfriend, Key hyung—my best friend since childhood, and Onew hyung—my most mature hyung. Guys, this is Joon. We’re in the same dance class,” Taemin introduced brightly, pulling the devilishly handsome Joon closer to us.

I instantly turned my head away to face the wall, trying to hide my face. I thought I would never see him again—why did we have to have mutual friends?!

I heard him introduce himself to us and Key told him to sit by us on the couch.

“Yah, Onew hyung, say hello,” Key ordered, looking to me.

I turned my head slightly so he couldn’t see my entire face and bowed as best I could since I was sitting. “A-annyeonghaseyo,” I muttered before turning away again.

I could literally feel him smirking at me. He sat up and leaned around me to see me more clearly and I cringed when my cover was blown.

“Hey! Angel! Fate has brought us together again!” he said happily, poking my arm playfully.

I didn’t say anything back, only sulking at the situation.

Minho snickered at the nickname Joon had used. “’Angel’?”

“Yah! Hyung! I thought you said there wasn’t a special someone!” Key cried, pointing at me accusingly. “Did you lie?”

“Yah!” I barked, completely embarrassed. “No! He’s not special! He’s not anyone!”

“But Angel,” I heard Joon whine. “I’m good at science, and I know what we have is chemistry.” The wink he threw in at the end made me stare at him dumbfounded. This can’t be happening.

“Aright, Joon hyung,” Taemin said, gripping the troublemaker’s shoulders. “Stop teasing Onew hyung now. He gets flustered too easily. You can continue this later.”

“Yah! Taemin, just start the movie,” I demanded grouchily, not wanting to undergo any more humiliation.

Everyone laughed at me as they turned to the TV screen, getting comfortable to watch the movie.

I couldn’t focus on the plot at all. To be honest, I didn’t even know the title of it. I was too busy trying to overcome my humiliation. I just wanted the night to end already so I could go to sleep. I knew after this night, Key and the others would never let this go.

I did not want to be associated with this flirt any longer.  

I laid my head against the couch arm and snuggled into my blanket, hiding my face.

I could feel myself starting to drift off by the time the movie ended. I was so tired I didn’t even move when the others started shuffling around for more food and another movie. Someone decided they would poke my leg but I still made no movement and just ignored it.

“He’s really tired. Maybe we should all just go to sleep so we don’t disturb him.”

“No, it’s fine Joon. He’s always the first to go to sleep and when he’s out, he’s out. Nothing we do is gonna bother him,” Key reassured him.

“So, what’s with the ‘Angel’ nickname,” I heard Jonghyun ask Joon.

I knew it probably wasn’t nice to eavesdrop but I was just sitting right there feeling tired, so technically I wasn’t doing anything wrong. I just remained silent so I could listen.

“It was just a joke really. Almost every customer that comes in the café I work at I call that. It’s just a little flirting to insure customers keep coming,” was his answer and for some reason, my chest started aching.

Do things like that really mean nothing to him? Is it really just for work?

To be honest, it kind of pissed me off.

“Well, the way Onew hyung was blushing earlier, I’d say he likes you. So if you don’t mean anything, don’t play around like that,” I heard Taemin telling the flirt.

Yes, don’t do anything you don’t mean.

“Who said I was playing around?”

 

 


 

5 subscribers!! :D Thank you guys! Though I would love to see more of you in the future. 

Please comment and subscribe, my lovelies~ ^^