Final

Moments

Credit: Choi Seunghyun

 

Seunghyun was clear about not wanting anyone to bother him for the whole day. All the maids and butlers were instructed to stay away from his room and carry on with other activities. He wouldn’t talk to anyone, he wouldn’t see anyone. After the news about last night, everybody in his household followed his wishes without a single question.

His phone exploded with messages and calls of birthday wishes but for the most part he ignored it. It was only when he was about to hurl the phone against the wall did he see that he had gotten a text from Krystal. Of all people he didn’t really want to talk to her, but her persistence won the battle over his stubbornness and the next thing he knew, he found himself driving here and there with her before it was even noon.

Throughout the whole morning, he noticed how reserved she was. No threats, no physical abuse, just an stifling awkwardness. Never did he see the day that she would be so quiet around him; he was more used to her shouting at him. While they ate brunch, he made sure that the topic abstained from anything about weddings or their parents. His foul mood became more and more evident as the meal went on. His headache was still present and the salty glares from his favorite waitress annoyed him to no end.

She had no reason to be jealous of Krystal, it was not like she was his… wife.

With bemusement, he watched as she laid out his gifts on the table before him, his eyes not mistaking the signature Rolex box. He arched an eyebrow when she slides the keys to her Benz towards him, his gaze now turning to apathy. Before his eyes, Krystal who always had such a strong facade on, looked vulnerable. It never dawned on him how she might feel about the nightmarish ordeal; not even in her twenties and her fate is in hands of both their parents, yet she is here with the man who she is being forced to marry to try and please him on his birthday. The one who suffered the most was her.

“Yah! …My birthday isn’t finished yet!” He nearly shouts, absentmindedly stuffing a few bills in the check presenter and hurrying after her. “There’s several hours until this day is done and I have one more place I want to go to..”

The car halted outside Tiffanys & Co, a place he knew she loved best. The girl could talk for hours about this one store. Diamonds were indeed a girl’s best friend, he thought as he watched a smile spread on her face.

If anything that was the best part of the day.